Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Build Thread: Redwing 30cc MX2

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Build Thread: Redwing 30cc MX2

Old 07-27-2012, 04:20 PM
mach2
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Build Thread: Redwing 30cc MX2

Hey fellas, Im going to do my first build thread. Im pretty stoked on my new plane!

After a long time deliberating on which 30cc plane to get, I obviously settled on the MX2. It was between the Aeroworks Edge 540 and the Goldwing MX2 (ethanol scheme). I new the AW plane would undoubtedly be top notch in everyway. The MX2 was only about 60 bucks cheaper (each had a combo price available, but the Edge 540 had free shipping from valleyviewrc.com), so that didn't have an impact on my decision, but the looks however went to th MX2 in my opinio. Not that the Edge isnt a super sweet looking aircraft, but I liked the MX2 a little more. And I already have an orange 20cc Edge 540 from Carl Goldberg, so I wanted something totally different. The videos of the MX2 doing 3D flight was enough to ensure to me that is an extremely capable plane. It can to more than Ill ever be able to do with it.

After deciding on the MX2, I looked around to see where I should make my purchase. I had been looking at troy built and valley view rc. Valleyviewrc did not have the 30cc plane in stock, but I had seen some videos on youtube from Redwing RC, so I looked them up. After some emails back and for with Tim from redwing I decided to go with them. The maker of their planes was no longer Goldwing, but still seemed to be a very nice quality plane.

Since DLE had changed their 30cc engine from a side carb to a rear mount, the Goldwing plane had to be modified so that the engine was pushed back so the spinner backplate fit up against the cowl ring. The Redwing plane is a newer design and will hopefully be set up perfectly for the DLE30 V2, since it is supposed to be designed for that engine. We will find out soon though.

So when I was finally ready to make my order, I was pleasantly surprised to see that Redwing RC had the plane I wanted in a "budget version" that did not have the carbon fiber landing gear (the wing tube is still carbon). The price difference was pretty large now. Much more than the difference of the CF landing gear thad was replaced by an aluminum piece (carbon fiber landing gear are typically $50+ ). The plane and engine combo with the DLE was an amazing $550! All other hardware is still the quality stuff that came with the Goldwing aircraft. So when I placed my order. I went ahead and ordered a set of their CF landing gear for only $39! The Carbon Fiber gear is the same height, but it has about a 2.5" wider stance (if there is a difference in weight between the two, it can't be felt by holding the two). I also stayed with CF when I ordered the spinner. I went with the Redwing 3" carbon fiber spinner, in the Ultimate style to give it some flare. It too is a very quality unit, and a great value for only $35.

Also, the new "red" MX2 color scheme had changed from the Ethanol theme, to Ecko Unlimited. I wasn't very thrilled with this bland look. My wife said that she really liked the green plane because it was different than most planes and it stood out. I agreed, so I ordered it. Im glad I did. Its really an eye catching plane and is very bright!

I slid the wings, rear stab w/elevators, rudder, cowl and spinner on so that I could see how everything fit, and to give a preview of what she will look like when finished. Everything fit really well and the wings slid onto the Carbon wing tube with perfect tension. The covering on the plane is absolutely beautiful! There are no wrinkles or bubbles. It is the best covering job I've ever seen on any of my ARFs. Ive only had a few, but this one is perfect. All control surfaces are predrilled for the robart style pin hinges and the fit is very good. They are ready to accept epoxy. The only flaw i have noticed was in the fiberglass cowl. There is a little warpage on the top where the cowl meets up with the fuselage. Im going to contact Tim, and Im confident he will take care of it.

Redwing RC also had great prices on other accessories. Along with their carbon fiber spinners, they have awesome prices on polished aluminum spinners from Miracle that have lightened backplates. 20 bucks for a 3" spinner with adapter nut and bolt. Redwing has their own like of Beechwood 3D props too. Of course, I threw some of them in my cart as well. I got a 20x6 and a 20x8 ($18.99). I wanted to try a 19x8 ($16.99)since they are highly recommended for the DLE30, but they weren't in stock at the time of my order. They range in price from $12 for a 16" prop, to $33 for 27". They are, as you can imagine, of very high quality. The shape of the prop is almost identical to the Vess design from what I can tell. The grain and color of the wood is excellent, as is the clear finish.

In all, I am extremely pleased with the quality of everything I received from Redwing. I am not in anyway receving any compensation or discounts (not any more than anyone else would get) from Redwing to give this review. Its just my honest evaluation. Oh, and I forgot to mention that the customer service so far has been exceptional. Before I ever spent a dime, Tim responded to 1001 questions that I emailed him with. He answered all my questions promptly and was a great help. He also opened my box for me to ensure that my ailerons were straight and true. I asked him to do this because Im a new builder and I didnt want to damage anything by trying to straighten them.

So here are some pictures. Ill post the progress of this build...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96108.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	1786626   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34097.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	1786627   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd82818.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	1786628   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64994.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	1786629   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21677.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	1786630   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89455.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	1786631   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63054.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	1786632   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl31046.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	1786633  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50324.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	1786634   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80824.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	1786635   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20297.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	1786636   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27963.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	1786637  
Old 07-28-2012, 12:28 PM
kerwin50

Default RE: Build Thread: Redwing 30cc MX2

I have this plane. If you decided to go with the white side up on the rear stab besure to check your wings incident. Yes there is a difference. The green side gives a 0-0-0
with the white side up I got -1.5 0 0. This made the plane climb badly.
Also be sure to fiberglass the motor box and the landing gear block/ formers.
I laminated the front and rear landing gear formers with 1/32 lite ply and fiberglass cloth.
failure to do so will result in the undercarraige failure.
Old 07-28-2012, 12:38 PM
kerwin50

Here are some pictures of mine 2 of them are upright and inverted flatspins. This plane also does some great knife edge spins.

Name:	Us54149.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	1786862   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dz81049.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	1786863   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ci98000.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	1786864   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hb80935.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	1786865  
Old 07-28-2012, 03:20 PM
mach2

I know there have got to be quite a few of these planes out there, so I was surprised that there wasn't a thread already made about it. At least from what I could see. I did a search and didn't find anything.

Gonna do the engine box for sure. I do that on all my planes. Thanks for the tip on the stab. I hadn't gone through the instructions yet, but I assumed the white side went up because the wings were that way. Is there any info on this issue in the manual?

How do you like how the plane flies? Looks like you have a lot of throw on the elevators in your pics. Do you 3D with it? Im a new flier. Only been flying for 8 months. I think I may get an Extreme Flight 48" MXS to get into 3D so Im not risking my bigger planes. Im fine with doing pop-tops, blenders, hovering with altitude, etc., but for the low altitude hovering and harriers I want something less expensive to start out.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Oh, are you using the DLE?

Old 07-28-2012, 04:07 PM
mach2

I looked at the picture on the box and the green side is up on the elevator and stab. Thanks for heads up! I may have screwed the pooch on that one...

Jeremy
Old 08-01-2012, 06:07 PM
Taz_Hobbies
My Feedback: (15)

ORIGINAL: mach2

I looked at the picture on the box and the green side is up on the elevator and stab. Thanks for heads up! I may have screwed the pooch on that one...

Jeremy
Build it per the instructions and she flies beautifully. I have the same plane (two of them actually) with a DLA 32 in it. I chose to add meat to the firewall and shorten the standoffs to get the desired length I needed. Careful placement of the components and I only needed 1/4oz in the tail when completed. She balanced right on the 4.75" mark. My stab is green side up and I am telling you she is as gentle a flier as anything I have ever imagined. I run Two (2) A123 2300 batts, a Smart -Fly batt share and an Equalizer II for the elevator servos.

I like it so much I purchased another one that I am putting a PTE36R in. The greatest thing about the "GreenMachine", at least at my field, it there is no doubt who is up! That green can be seen for miles.

Kerwin is on to something about the landing gear block, but after getting used to her I do not think it is completely neccesary. I knocked the gear out of mine on the maiden, but it was pilot error, had nothing to do with the plane. Now that I have a few dozen flights you can set her down very gently, upwind, downwind or with a stiff crosswind. Mine is as gentle as any plane I can remember flying.

Good Luck!

Old 08-01-2012, 10:48 PM
mach2

Thank you for sharing. Im glad the two of you brought the horizontal stab to my attention. And Im really excited to get this build started. Im almost done working on a rifle for a buddy. Im doing a pillar and glass bedding job for him. Once that's finished I can get started on the Green Goblin.

Did you use all the hardware included, and the aluminum landing gear? Ive never done a pull pull rudder system. And as mentioned above, I went with the MX2/MSX-R carbon landing gear which has a much wider stance and Im thinking It will have a little more flex than the more vertical aluminum piece.

The pin hinges fit very well, but I was kind of surprised at how small they are. I would have used 1/8" Robarts, but If you guys have used the supplied hinges, Ill just use them.

Ive also decided to use my Sullivan smoke pump on this plane. Im going to make it to where it is easily removable so that I can use it while sport flying, and remove it when I want to do more aggressive maneuvers and need a strong vertical pull out. It will look pretty impressive with smoke. All gassers do....

I had a good and bad day today. Before my second flight with my 67" Goldberg Edge 540, I did my normal inspection and also made sure my wing bolts where tight, but after flying out of a blender inverted, I rolled it upright and then she started to do snap rolls all on its own. My left wing bolt had backed out enough for the wing to come out and pull the anti-roll pin. I was able to chop the throttle and fly it down to a crash landing right side up in some thick weeds and only broke off the engine box. When it was happening I thought, "this is going to be a pile of balsa, but I just kept flying it and it paid off. That's what I learned when my father was teaching me to fly. He said that most the time guys have problems and lock up and stop flying, and then they end up dead (Im talking about flying real aircraft). Now we'll see if I can get the engine box rebuilt.

Hopefully I can get a hold of a engine cowl, even though the plane is discontinued. That may be my biggest chanllenge!

Jeremy
Old 08-03-2012, 09:42 AM
Taz_Hobbies

Thank you for sharing. Im glad the two of you brought the horizontal stab to my attention. And Im really excited to get this build started. Im almost done working on a rifle for a buddy. Im doing a pillar and glass bedding job for him. Once that's finished I can get started on the Green Goblin.

Did you use all the hardware included, and the aluminum landing gear? Ive never done a pull pull rudder system. And as mentioned above, I went with the MX2/MSX-R carbon landing gear which has a much wider stance and Im thinking It will have a little more flex than the more vertical aluminum piece.

The pin hinges fit very well, but I was kind of surprised at how small they are. I would have used 1/8" Robarts, but If you guys have used the supplied hinges, Ill just use them.

Ive also decided to use my Sullivan smoke pump on this plane. Im going to make it to where it is easily removable so that I can use it while sport flying, and remove it when I want to do more aggressive maneuvers and need a strong vertical pull out. It will look pretty impressive with smoke. All gassers do....

I had a good and bad day today. Before my second flight with my 67" Goldberg Edge 540, I did my normal inspection and also made sure my wing bolts where tight, but after flying out of a blender inverted, I rolled it upright and then she started to do snap rolls all on its own. My left wing bolt had backed out enough for the wing to come out and pull the anti-roll pin. I was able to chop the throttle and fly it down to a crash landing right side up in some thick weeds and only broke off the engine box. When it was happening I thought, "this is going to be a pile of balsa, but I just kept flying it and it paid off. That's what I learned when my father was teaching me to fly. He said that most the time guys have problems and lock up and stop flying, and then they end up dead (Im talking about flying real aircraft). Now we'll see if I can get the engine box rebuilt.

Hopefully I can get a hold of a engine cowl, even though the plane is discontinued. That may be my biggest chanllenge!

Jeremy
I used most of the stock hardware on my 1st MX2. My 2nd MX2 will be upgraded with all 4-40 linkage & ball ends. But I will use the stock hinges. They are fine but I may double up on the ends. I am going to add some material around the wing tube inside the fuse as well as the anti-rotation pins.

Something I learned that may be helpful and you may already know. I almost learned the hard way. I upgraded the aluminum servo arms that come with kit. The problem we had was the stock plastic servo wheels they screw to get very soft if you use locitie on the 4 screws that hold the aluminum arms to the wheel and the center screw that holds the wheel down. After 1 flight I found 2 servo wheels stripped, and it was a gentle flight with nothing more than some easy IMAC type moves. I now use all aluminum arms, problem solved.

Old 08-04-2012, 12:57 PM
mach2

Well I haven't started the build yet because Ive been working a lot lately.  Since ya'll have already had a few of these and have some good tips, this may turn into a "help me build thread" haha!

I also wonder if I should have started this thread in the "ARF or RTF" form since most of the Giant scale guys would consider this a little plane, so probably not very exciting. And having been flying less than a year, you GS guys have decades more build experience building than I do.  I guess its just about having some interaction with other hobbyists.

I may have some time to at least her some work started on the "green machine".

Taz, when you attached the aluminum servo arms to the plastic servo wheels, the plastic servo wheels were getting stripped in the center, or the screws that attached the aluminum piece to the plastic servo wheel?

Thank you!
Jeremy
Old 08-04-2012, 02:18 PM
Taz_Hobbies

Well I haven't started the build yet because Ive been working a lot lately. Since ya'll have already had a few of these and have some good tips, this may turn into a "help me build thread" haha!

I also wonder if I should have started this thread in the "ARF or RTF" form since most of the Giant scale guys would consider this a little plane, so probably not very exciting. And having been flying less than a year, you GS guys have decades more build experience building than I do. I guess its just about having some interaction with other hobbyists.

I may have some time to at least her some work started on the "green machine".

Taz, when you attached the aluminum servo arms to the plastic servo wheels, the plastic servo wheels were getting stripped in the center, or the screws that attached the aluminum piece to the plastic servo wheel?

Thank you!
Jeremy
The spline drive was soft and allowing the wheels to slip on the servo. Two were stripped and a third moved on the bench with very minimal hand pressure. Never again will I use any plastic wheels / horns.

Old 08-04-2012, 03:08 PM
mach2

Okay. cool. Ill be sure to get some servo arms. I should be able to find some long aluminum arms and not even bother using the attachment arms that came with the plane right?

I have some 645MGs that I had planned on using, but I may get some 985s for a little more speed. At least on the rudder and elevators. Im just going to be sport flying her for quite a while before Im good and comfortable with more 3D style flying. I to feel real comfortable doing rolling circles, knife edge, pop tops and blenders being the most demanding of the equipment.

Thanks,
Jeremy
Old 08-06-2012, 01:25 PM
RP80

Check these out guys! This is the best of both worlds.

cheaper than buying a whole new set of arms. Metal connection to servo. and they are tapped. So you just screw in and locktite
http://redwingrc.com/accessories/Alu...rvo%20arms.htm

Old 08-06-2012, 08:26 PM
mach2

Ill have to ask tim if they are available for Hitec yet.

Thanks
Old 08-06-2012, 08:58 PM
mach2

Hey Taz. I looked up the Batshare. The picture shows two connectors going in and two going out. But their manual shows the two batteries going into the batshare and then one connector going from the unit to the Rx. Or a regulator between the batshare and the Rx. I was going to use two Lipos, so the batshare would be cool. I just wanted to know if i only needed one regulator like the manual shows.

How is yours set up?

Thanks,
Jeremy
Old 08-07-2012, 02:29 PM
raptor30se

Have you determined if rear mount carb dle30 will work
With no mods to firewall? I am interested in this version too if so.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:00 PM
Taz_Hobbies

ORIGINAL: raptor30se

Have you determined if rear mount carb dle30 will work
With no mods to firewall? I am interested in this version too if so.
I think the DLE and my DLA are dimensionally the same, and I had to hog the firewall to allow the carb to go thru. But I added a 1/4" doubler to the firewall to stiffen it.
The photo is not the final configuration, but it gives you an idea of what I did.

This is the final configuration with the 1/4" firewall doubler.

Old 08-07-2012, 03:08 PM
raptor30se

Thanks for that, but I think the new redwing mx2 that Mach has is a
different firewall dimension just wanted to confirm that.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:57 PM
mach2

Hey Raptor, Ill check on it tomorrow when i get home. I need to post some kind of helpful info on here...

Im really hopeful that I dont have to cut into the firewall and use different stand off or shorten the ones it comes with.

Jeremy
Old 08-08-2012, 05:25 AM
raptor30se

After looking at both photos of the motor box it appears to me the throttle servo is further inboard on the skyliner rc version vs the goldwing, so I am hopeful your measurements confirm this.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:00 AM
RedwingRC

Hey Guys - Glad to see you guys doing a build thread on it

It should be set for the DLE 30.  Little history- this is the factory that builds for GW.  I was happy with the kits overall.  Not quite as good as our Redwing versions, but close.  And less cost .   GW was horrible about customer service and getting parts.  As a matter of fact, we probably still have about $1000 of parts never received. 

That is why we will no longer deal with them, and realized SL was the actual factory.  They have told us this last version IS set for the DLE 30.  We haven't measured it, but it should be 160mm from firewall to cowl (appx) instead of 140.

GW told us the same thing on the 2nd batch, but then when we got them found out it was a lie.  I think it's because they weren't the factory, half the time they didn't know what they were talking about. 

If you want a good plane on a budget, the SL planes are very good.  If you want the rolls royce, get the RW

Take it easy folks

Old 08-08-2012, 04:45 PM
Taz_Hobbies

ORIGINAL: raptor30se

After looking at both photos of the motor box it appears to me the throttle servo is further inboard on the skyliner rc version vs the goldwing, so I am hopeful your measurements confirm this.
I agree. I think Mach's will be a bolt in. Mine was sort of like playing "Operation". But all in all, it wasn't the worst mod I have ever had to do.
The fun part is I have a second GW MX2 Green Machine that will be going on the bench soon, so it's "Firewall Surgery" deja vu!

P.S. I did look at the 30cc MX2 onredwings site and the photos there show the same motor box as mine. Mach, can you post a good shot of the motor box from the top down please?

Old 08-12-2012, 03:20 PM
mach2

Okay guys. Sorry I didnt get to do what I said I would do. Some family stuff came up.

I have just looked, and measured the cowl to firewall vs. the standoff to prop washer lenths. Good news. This new Redwing plane IS designed for the new rear mount DLE30! It gives a little more than needed. It will take a little bit of trimming on the cowl, where it meets the fuse, to make the spinner backplate clear the cowl and fit nicely.

Ill post some pics in a few...

Jeremy
Old 08-12-2012, 04:58 PM
mach2

The length from firewall (as I would call it from an automotive background) to the fron of the engine box is 3 3/4".

Jeremy

Name:	Xv63005.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	1791397   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88587.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	1791398  
Old 08-12-2012, 07:33 PM
RedwingRC

Hey Mach - don't trim it, just put a few wood washers behind the standoffs.  There may be some in the kit.  If not just take some 1/8" or 1/4" Ply and cut 1" squares and drill a 5mm hole in the middle

Old 08-12-2012, 09:14 PM
mach2

So push the motor forward instead of the cowl back? That seems like that would reduce vibration from the motor to the airframe, but will it stand up to the vibration on the firewall over time?

Thanks Tim,
Jeremy

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.