Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

repairing foam fuse??

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

repairing foam fuse??

Old 08-12-2012, 05:51 PM
cubfloater
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default repairing foam fuse??

Hey, not a beginner but am to foam. Have my nieghbors crashed plane to repair and have most done but wonder what I can use to fill in front of fuse under the firewall. It's a hobbyzone supercub with epp foam I believe. Was wondering if I can use that urathane spray foam insulation or will it eat up the foam on the plane? I need to fill in an area about 1/4 inch by 2 inch by 1/2 inch. Thanks for any help.

Jim
Old 08-12-2012, 07:55 PM
jrcaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: repairing foam fuse??

You may want to ask this under "foamies and electric flying" under "electric flyers universe."
Old 08-13-2012, 03:42 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

To really know for sure would be to take some foam from somewhere inconspicuous and try that stuff on it. If it melts or disintegrates, well, you know not to use it as a filler. If it works, you have your fix in hand.

CGr.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:36 PM
JeffinTD

If it is that big of an area maybe you could cut a piece of foam to fit.

Epoxy is generally safe for foam, and great where you need some working time. Gorilla glue expands, which can be handy for oddly shaped crunched foam.

Hot glue really bonds well to foam, and is great for fast, strong repairs.

I also sometimes use foam safe CA for quick repairs in the field, but for something like a firewall or other large part I would use hot glue- or if I needed working time to get things lined up, epoxy.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:15 AM
opjose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quite often the foam used for the packing material is EXACTLY the same type used in the plane it comes with!

This is because of the costs associated with forming the molds and sourcing the work.

You can cut damaged areas to a regular shape, then cut a comparable piece out of the packing materials.

Glue that in with plain old white glue ( e.g. Elmers ).

White Glue bonds VERY well to foam, but dries completely transparent or invisible, so you end up with no seams if you do your repairs right.

Use fine grit sandpaper to form any excess foam to the original shape, the paint the area with Krylon for plastics.

-