Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Larger Revolver

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Larger Revolver

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 07:12 PM
orthobird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Default RE: Larger Revolver

did you see my SW 44 magnum 6 shooter?
Old 08-08-2012, 07:26 PM
microdon2
My Feedback: (47)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Orthobird - LIKE the gun! Does that help balance and the CG, or is that a subtle hint to the wifey?

And if wjc is right about being nose-heavy, I'd guess two .44 shells taped down just after of the servo tray should do it. (and make rough landings THAT much more exciting!)
Old 08-08-2012, 08:53 PM
mach2
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: orthobird

here she is, she is ready to fly, possibly tomorrow, weather permitiing. saito fa125 a on a GP revolver. she weighs in at 9 pounds and 10 ounces. do you al think that may be too heavy. she is balanced at CG between 5 1/4" and 5 1/2" from leading edge aft, next to fuse (wing root).
Ortho, I put my DLE20 from my Revolver into the Same Edge 540 that a buddy had a Saito 125 in. The Saito flew it very well, but not with quite the authority that the DLE flies it with. But in the Revolver, I dont think you will see too much of a difference. You will love it. The difference in the two motors on the Edge 540 was when doing maneuvers under power and trying to hover it. So when sport flying, there shouldn't be a big difference.

As for the CG, I also would recommend a more aft CG than what GP recommends. I think 6" is perfect. It will not take anything away from the stability of the plane.

Jeremy

Old 08-09-2012, 03:33 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: mach2

here she is, she is ready to fly, possibly tomorrow, weather permitiing. saito fa125 a on a GP revolver. she weighs in at 9 pounds and 10 ounces. do you al think that may be too heavy. she is balanced at CG between 5 1/4'' and 5 1/2'' from leading edge aft, next to fuse (wing root).
Ortho, I put my DLE20 from my Revolver into the Same Edge 540 that a buddy had a Saito 125 in. The Saito flew it very well, but not with quite the authority that the DLE flies it with. But in the Revolver, I dont think you will see too much of a difference. You will love it. The difference in the two motors on the Edge 540 was when doing maneuvers under power and trying to hover it. So when sport flying, there shouldn't be a big difference.

As for the CG, I also would recommend a more aft CG than what GP recommends. I think 6'' is perfect. It will not take anything away from the stability of the plane.

BTW, is Ortho gonna shoot the plane with the S&W? [X(] [X(]

Jeremy

I am glad you posted this. This was a question I have been trying to answer. I have a Saito 1.25 on a Funtana X100 and it isn't bad, but not quite what I like power wise. I don't feel it has that extra juice when coming out of hover and was definitely thinking about going with the DLE 20 instead and of course, the Saito sucks fuel like there is no tomorrow.

As far as CG, I would agree although I would not change it that far back until I flew the plane to verify. I don't like flying a tail heavy plane on maiden or even chancing it. Once I maiden and find out the characteristics, I then will change CG as I want. We have lost some planes and almost lost others from some slight aft CG settings.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:56 AM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

The Funtana X is a lot bigger than the revolver. The Saito 125 should be more than enough in the revolver
Old 08-09-2012, 05:22 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I had the newer Funtana with an RCGF 26 in it. Loved it. Not overpowered, but certainly not lacking. With 8oz less weight and similar power, I would LOVE a chance to put a DLE or RCGF 20 in a X100!
Old 08-09-2012, 09:01 AM
Luchnia

ORIGINAL: ahicks

I had the newer Funtana with an RCGF 26 in it. Loved it. Not overpowered, but certainly not lacking. With 8oz less weight and similar power, I would LOVE a chance to put a DLE or RCGF 20 in a X100!
A fellow flyer and I were talking yesterday about how we both over power our planes, but not drastically and how they still fly very well. We simply like the extra power when needed. I know there is a compromise when you get too much weight and power because there is a sacrifice of flight characteristics. For example, I will run a 55AX instead of a 46AX 95% of the time and it is a fantastic balance. I would not go to a 90 size on a 40 size airframe in most cases. The largest engine I ran on a 40 size airframe was a 76.

A couple people have stated to run a DLE 30 on the Funtana. I feel that is too much work and possibly way overkill. I know the DLE 20 is about the same size as the Saito 1.25, yet I believe the 20 would be a better engine for that plane.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:09 AM
microdon2

Luchnia -

I have run (and will soon again be running) an OS 91 4s in a Rev 59. Overkill? Perhaps. A bit. But not by MUCH!
Old 08-09-2012, 10:17 AM
orthobird

i have learned the hard way about your point, not that i disagree with you. i got a H9 P51 mustang, that was for a size 20 cc gas, and i put in a saito fg 36 (only 16 cc more< and that plane was way nose heavy. i put the receiver battery and ignition battery half way between cockpit and tail, it was then slightly nose heavy. plane weighed about 3 more pounds than what it should have. it crashed on maiden, and i mean, it crashed on take off. maybe it had something else going on, like the elevator trim, since when it took off, it was climbing, and i slightly let off the elevator, and then plane dove down, and complete destruction. i also had a seagull yak 54, it was supposed to use a max of 1.8 glow engine. i put in a os bgx 35 cc glow engine in it. wow, that plane was a rocket and it was balanced. flew 3 times, during 3rd flight, i was doing some sharp turns, and the wings ripped right off the plane, ouch, it was cool to see that one crash. so now, i look and see about weights and comparable motors to use, but still to overpower plane. i like that. also, reading people's experience here is by far best way to go. once you know what everyone else is using, then you can try it out yourself, and see it works fine.
ORIGINAL: Luchnia

ORIGINAL: ahicks

A fellow flyer and I were talking yesterday about how we both over power our planes, but not drastically and how they still fly very well. We simply like the extra power when needed. I know there is a compromise when you get too much weight and power because there is a sacrifice of flight characteristics. For example, I will run a 55AX instead of a 46AX 95% of the time and it is a fantastic balance. I would not go to a 90 size on a 40 size airframe in most cases. The largest engine I ran on a 40 size airframe was a 76.

A couple people have stated to run a DLE 30 on the Funtana. I feel that is too much work and possibly way overkill. I know the DLE 20 is about the same size as the Saito 1.25, yet I believe the 20 would be a better engine for that plane.

Old 08-09-2012, 11:13 AM
mach2

I agree about starting the CG conservatively. I wouldnt advise the 6" CG on the Rev if I didnt know that it was completely stable there. I actually think its better. Because the plane lands so much better than at the recommended CG. It does come in pretty hot at 5.5".

Id never want someone to be surprised by and uncontrollable plane on a maiden. I maidened a Extra 300 that was completely unstable. i was lucky to get it on the ground!
Old 08-09-2012, 02:05 PM
Luchnia

ORIGINAL: microdon2

Luchnia -

I have run (and will soon again be running) an OS 91 4s in a Rev 59. Overkill? Perhaps. A bit. But not by MUCH!
The Rev 59 is the one I have the GMS 76 in [X(] I know exactly what you mean on that plane. You just fly that one fast and bring her in hot! One thing I like about the Rev 59 is that it will teach you how to fly a plane in on landing....it is NOT a floater.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:09 PM
wjcalhoun

You guys with the R59 make me think i should get one. There is a guy at my field with an R59, and he flies it beautifully. The way his is set up and propped, it is much faster than my R70 17x6.

Still waiting for GP announcement on the availabilty of the R88!

Old 08-09-2012, 02:27 PM
microdon2

Luchnia - agreed - I love how quick it is, and it's looks, of course, and that it keeps you on your toes on landing.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:31 PM
microdon2

wjc - you SHOULD get a Rev 59! It flies very differently than the Rev 70 - MUCH twitchier, and quicker, and just SEEMS faster. I love both planes, partially because they have different flying \ landing characteristics. It IS less forgiving than the Rev 70. (I've had a FEW tip-stalls with it. Not sure HOW many I"ve built \ rebuilt at this point).

One helpful hint - if you're flying the Rev 59 inverted, and testing to see just HOW SLOWLY you can do that, you MIGHT want to up the throttle a couple of blips before turning \ banking. Take my word for it!
Old 08-09-2012, 06:46 PM
orthobird

i maidened her today, plane flew like a dream. had two flights total. i am having tiny engine problem. might need more break in. it is a saito 125 . on the 1st flight, after 4 minutes, engine turned off. on second flight, at baout 4 minutes, engine began to lose power so i landed her. bioth times, tank had 2/3 fule left. but the plane did rolls great, i did loops, snap rolls, barrel roll. she did great. when i had dead sticj=k, plane glided in soi nicely and so slow, really very maneuverable.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:15 PM
microdon2

Orthobird = sounds like it's lean and overheating.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:40 PM
mach2

Ive never had that happen, but from what ive read, I agree about the over heading. Maybe open up the cowl on the bottom and let some heat out. My cowl was opened up a lot. It doesnt look bad at all...

Jeremy
Old 08-10-2012, 03:35 AM
Luchnia

i maidened her today, plane flew like a dream. had two flights total. i am having tiny engine problem. might need more break in. it is a saito 125 . on the 1st flight, after 4 minutes, engine turned off. on second flight, at baout 4 minutes, engine began to lose power so i landed her. bioth times, tank had 2/3 fule left. but the plane did rolls great, i did loops, snap rolls, barrel roll. she did great. when i had dead sticj=k, plane glided in soi nicely and so slow, really very maneuverable.
Fantastic! Always good to see another successful maiden flight. Hope you quickly get that engine issue straight. Reads like she is a sweet flyer and on balance point, too
Old 08-10-2012, 09:50 AM
wjcalhoun

Agree; lean is more likely than airflow (outflow). Ground tuning is only a rough guide to tuning for in-flight.
Had that problem with an OS AX 1.20 in an R70. Fine on the ground, lean in the air.
Old 08-11-2012, 07:22 AM
weskel

Howdy guys,

I have been away from the hobby for about a year, deployments, work training, etc.

I have a revolver that I bought a new DLE20 for last year and want to get it installed.

Does anyone have some pictures of the way you set it all up? Battery locations, switches, choke servo, etc.

I would greatly appreciate it...

I'm sure there are plenty of information and pictures in the past 5558 posts, but it might take me a year to go through them.

Thanks
Old 08-11-2012, 08:44 AM
Luchnia

ORIGINAL: weskel

Howdy guys,

I have been away from the hobby for about a year, deployments, work training, etc.

I have a revolver that I bought a new DLE20 for last year and want to get it installed.

Does anyone have some pictures of the way you set it all up? Battery locations, switches, choke servo, etc.

I would greatly appreciate it...

I'm sure there are plenty of information and pictures in the past 5558 posts, but it might take me a year to go through them.

Thanks
I know some guys here have pictures and there is also a build videos on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQQgm...feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQQgmd2vff0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=eSvsbXtgeII
Old 08-12-2012, 07:53 AM
weskel

I didnt even think of looking on youtube!!!

I appreciate it....
Old 08-12-2012, 12:22 PM
mach2

Speaking of youtube.com, I meant to post this when we were talking about flying the Rev fast. Im sure everyone has already seen it.

Jeremy

www.youtube.com/watch
Old 08-12-2012, 06:41 PM
orthobird

flew the revolver again today, did much better than last week.  question for you all, i may have to put this In aerodynamics question forum area.  anyway, when i fly upright, i have trimmed plane so that it flies level.  this required some down elevator, this trim was done on maiden flight, yet i still remember this.  today, plane was flying level, however, when i get plane inverted flight, it requires significant "down elevator" to prevent planes nose from pitching down.  any suggestions?
Old 08-12-2012, 11:10 PM
mach2

you have got to remember that this plane has a semi-symmetrical wing. So that is part of the reason. And as recently mentioned, the recommended CG is too far forward, which would make your issue worse. I feel that the better CG is 6" behind the leading edge.

And the static balance is much different than the dynamic CG (or in flight cg). And since this plane is considered a fast sport plane, the forward CG is acceptable. However, the aft CG is much better for maneuvers and a slower landing speed. And this plane will still be a SOLID aircraft to fly with the more aft CG.

SINCERELY,
Jeremy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.