Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

The Evader Coalition ~ T.E.C. Part 2.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 06:57 PM
cumquat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Evader Coalition ~ T.E.C. Part 2.

i have 1 rear tire, not sure where i put the other. i have the reciever, but i cant quite remember what i did with the transmitter or antenna i do have the shocks though. however, i cant send any of it until next month as i'm tapped out[] i get money on the first, so i can have them out by that Tuesday (the 4th). i'll check back with you guys then to see if you still want the stuff. i know that's some time off, but it'll likely be before the new stuff is in stock. while i'm at it, does anyone need a sprint esc? i have one or 2 around here too, with the speed 2 motors (i know i have them somewhere).
Old 08-12-2012, 08:02 PM
vic2367
My Feedback: (-1)

anyone know the stock servo info on the evader ? wanna upgrade to a better servo ,,looking for more speed and torque , do i get a regular sized servo ?
Old 08-12-2012, 08:15 PM
cumquat

yep, any old standard servo will do. when i stripped mine, i put in my trusty futaba s3305. not ery quick but it had enough torque to swing the evader when i held it by one tire
Old 08-13-2012, 05:50 AM
JSS4

I installed a Traxxas waterproof High torque digital servo and it is great? Part # is 2056, I think.

Also, the DX2e I got is great! Not as feature packed as the DX3c, but it is less than half the price.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:21 PM
DieHarder

I put a digital high torque servo in my evader ST just the other day. I think it's a 180oz. Does yours have metal gears? Mine does.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:31 PM
NoTraxxisRustler

Hey Guys,

I just scored a brushless gearbox on ebay. Anyone have any experience with this part? I'm thinking of giving the AE gearbox that I grafted into my EXT a rest and going stock BL. (tranny plate, mount etc). The AE gearbox is a ball diff, and I've really come to like it. Think it's worth swapping out? (anybody)

I see some of ya'll are looking for parts, there are a few people "parting" Evaders on ebay. I don't know why in the devil Tower cannot keep DTX parts in stock.  

Local HobbyTown does not carry DTX parts anymore . . . which sux.

Thanks
NTR

Old 08-14-2012, 08:23 AM
DieHarder

Hey, do you have an Evader ST Top Shaft, Mine is bent?
ORIGINAL: cumquat

i have 1 rear tire, not sure where i put the other. i have the reciever, but i cant quite remember what i did with the transmitter or antenna i do have the shocks though. however, i cant send any of it until next month as i'm tapped out[] i get money on the first, so i can have them out by that Tuesday (the 4th). i'll check back with you guys then to see if you still want the stuff. i know that's some time off, but it'll likely be before the new stuff is in stock. while i'm at it, does anyone need a sprint esc? i have one or 2 around here too, with the speed 2 motors (i know i have them somewhere).
Old 08-14-2012, 08:47 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't understand DTX and their parts avalability or lack thereof either.  It's been like this for the two years I've been into this hobby.  I wonder if they just don't do the volume of Losi or AE, so they only order just so many parts from their (Chinese) manufacturer, and when they run out, we have to wait for the slow boat! 

Regarding tires....if you're trying to remove old rubber from Duratrax wheels, good luck.  Their wheels are flimsy and neither boiling nor acetone will give you satisfactory results.  If your rubber is worn out, get new wheels with the new rubber. I think it's the only way you're gonna get a good glue-job and have the tires stick. If you try to mount new rubber on old rims, with the old bead still in the groove, it ain't gonna work.

Now if your foam inserts have broken down, and you still have useable tread, you CAN cut the inner bead around the rim, peel back the tire and remove/replace the old foam with new, then glue the bead back together. THAT works, I've done it. Only because your gluing the same rubber back together. The shapes match up so they can be glued.  But if you need new tires, just get new rims too.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:36 AM
Harlow

I was trying to save a set of rear st wheels but the beads tore from the tire and are stuck on the wheels. Oh well. I do have a set of extra buggy wheels from my son's exb with dirt hawg truck tires on them. I just tried the boiling technique and it worked great I was able to get the tires off with no problem.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:42 PM
NoTraxxisRustler

EXT2Rob,

Did you update to brushless tranny?? If so how is it holding up?(I scored one on ebay and considering swapping out the AE tranny that I put in)

I still say DTX made a big mistake marketing EXT's (with weak trannys) for a couple years when most of the motor selections were brushless. Ihave talkedwith dealers that contendthat DTX is just fine. The guys at my local hobbytownthat hate them. But then, they are not the most well like group of guys inthe Richmond RC world.

NTR

Old 08-14-2012, 06:18 PM
cumquat

ORIGINAL: BurningEvader1458

Hey, do you have an Evader ST Top Shaft, Mine is bent?
ORIGINAL: cumquat

no, all i have is ext2 parts and both top shaft gears are worn. sorry.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:55 PM
DieHarder

I know the part numbers are different, but do you think the Nitro Evader ST Top Shaft would work?
Old 08-14-2012, 07:06 PM
cumquat

not a clue.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:22 AM
EXT2Rob

Harlow - Wow, you got the tire off the DTX wheels w/o destroying the wheel?  Good on you!  My buddy tried it and melted the wheel.

NTR - No I haven't upgraded to the actual BL tranny from the BL Evader, but I HAVE installed the metal diff from the BL in ONE of my cars.  Still waiting on DTX's Slow Boat From China for #2.  It's really odd: when we first got these cars, stock brushed mind you, we were stripping top gears like crazy. Of course, THEY were in short supply too.  Now that we've upgraded to BL systems, we haven't stripped one top gear yet!  It's like, for a while, DTX's manufacturer lost the recipe for good hard metal and were putting out crap, but then they fixed it?  I dunno.  Now it's just the plastic diff cases that strip.  The metal diff solves that problem.

Will a nitro evader top shaft work in the electric?  You'd have to check the specs. Dimentions, etc.  RCLUGNUT10 may have info on that.  Check here:  https://sites.google.com/site/evaderinfo/home

Old 08-15-2012, 10:53 AM
Harlow

I'm not sure if it was a DTX wheels. But the boiling worked I was trying to salvage the tires which was sucessful.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:51 AM
DieHarder

I am currently in my Evader ST running the BL Evader Tranny. (Except the top shaft) I just installed it, but haven't had a chance to acually try it out do to the lack of money to buy a new battery. My old NiMh crapped out, and I have tried multiple times to get it back to life, but it just ain't work'in. I was pretty easy installation, but getting the parts is a whole other issue. I was lucky enought to catch the Rear Chassis Plate on eBay, and won the bid.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:39 PM
NoTraxxisRustler

Not meaning to but in, but go to HobbyPartz.com and get the Gen's Ace. 4000MAH, 30C, 7.4 V puts NIMH to shame. 22bux. I've got one, it's great. You will need the EXT2/BL esc plate, battery strap. But that's like 6.00.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:44 PM
NoTraxxisRustler

Iscored the whole DTXtranny on EBAY. The ASC tranny Ihave in mine has been great, but it's going to need a bit of work. Got the DTX tranny bc I would like to go back to stock tranny mounts etc. But I really have mixed emotions with DTX QC issues and all. We'll see.

Thanks
NTR

ORIGINAL: EXT2Rob

Harlow - Wow, you got the tire off the DTX wheels w/o destroying the wheel? Good on you! My buddy tried it and melted the wheel.

NTR - No I haven't upgraded to the actual BL tranny from the BL Evader, but I HAVE installed the metal diff from the BL in ONE of my cars. Still waiting on DTX's Slow Boat From China for #2. It's really odd: when we first got these cars, stock brushed mind you, we were stripping top gears like crazy. Of course, THEY were in short supply too. Now that we've upgraded to BL systems, we haven't stripped one top gear yet! It's like, for a while, DTX's manufacturer lost the recipe for good hard metal and were putting out crap, but then they fixed it? I dunno. Now it's just the plastic diff cases that strip. The metal diff solves that problem.

Will a nitro evader top shaft work in the electric? You'd have to check the specs. Dimentions, etc. RCLUGNUT10 may have info on that. Check here: https://sites.google.com/site/evaderinfo/home

Old 08-15-2012, 02:31 PM
EXT2Rob

I am currently in my Evader ST running the BL Evader Tranny. (Except the top shaft) I just installed it, but haven't had a chance to acually try it out do to the lack of money to buy a new battery. My old NiMh crapped out, and I have tried multiple times to get it back to life, but it just ain't work'in. I was pretty easy installation, but getting the parts is a whole other issue. I was lucky enought to catch the Rear Chassis Plate on eBay, and won the bid.
Hey Burnin', are you using a brushless system? In my experience, a brushless system will suck the life right out of NiMh cells. Ieventually ruined all of my NiMhs on the Castle system Ihad. Idon't think they were built to deliver the current BL systems can pull. They over-heat and eventually won't take a charge. Guess that's why they invented LiPo!

Big +1 on those Gens Ace batts, good value. This battery fits PERFECTLY in the Evader chassis:
http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-30c-40...se-direct.html

Old 08-15-2012, 05:22 PM
DieHarder

Yeah, I'm running the Traxxas Velenion 3S ESC and 3500kv Brushless sensorless motor. I bought the 3S one so I could run 3S,otherwise I would of bought the Castle Creations system. I guess the system really drained my DTX 3800mah NiMh. I can't get it to charge. I am saving for lipo, I was gonna get the Venom 11.1v 35C 5000mah battery, but everybody says the Traxxas system runs hot on 3S. What do you guys think?
ORIGINAL: EXT2Rob

Hey Burnin', are you using a brushless system? In my experience, a brushless system will suck the life right out of NiMh cells. Ieventually ruined all of my NiMhs on the Castle system Ihad. Idon't think they were built to deliver the current BL systems can pull. They over-heat and eventually won't take a charge. Guess that's why they invented LiPo!

Big +1 on those Gens Ace batts, good value. This battery fits PERFECTLY in the Evader chassis:
http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-30c-40...se-direct.html

Old 08-15-2012, 06:26 PM
cumquat

you will regret 3s as your only pack. i have only had 2s and the brief period i ran dirt hawgs in back, i was pulling wheelies on gravel! the stock tires will pull wheelies on asphalt and at times on grass but wont hook up well enough on gravel.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:22 PM
Harlow

just curious for you guys running brushed motors what esc / motor combo are you using? Gear ratios? My youngest son is running an Ext with the radio, receiver, and esc out of the ST I'm redoing with a Traxxas Stinger motor. Runs pretty quick for him. My oldest son is running an exb with a stock esc and a Stinger motor as well. The EXB was geared with an 18t pinion and an 87t spur gear. I switch it to the stock 20t/88t since he is running truck wheels on the back. Not sure what the stock gear ration is for the exb? Is it the same as the evader truck? I'm redoing an old evader so it's more like the ext/ext2. Changed the front axles, a BL front bumper, I have an EXT trans, rear chassis plate, dog bones and axles on the way. I have a Novak Explorer II esc I was going to run the only down fall is no reverse. But I have a Traxxas XL-5 water proof esc I'm going to use. Now just have decide on an motor. Was going to get a Trinity Speedgems 17t Double Onyx motor but I'm undecided. I just plan on bashing with it and just have fun with my boys.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:48 AM
cumquat

i liked the axial 27t, loads of torque and they were $13. i think they run $15 now. they have one of those rotor mounted fans inside so it doesnt get too hot but that also makes it slightly longer than most 540s.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:17 AM
Harlow

do you run stock gearing with it?
Old 08-16-2012, 07:26 AM
DieHarder

Harlow-Are you planning on doing the metal diff in that Evader that your redoing? If so, please pm me about the shims.

Cumquat-What do you mean by I will regret 3S as my only pack? I have my evader set up for 3S. Should I start out with a 2S?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.