Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

The Terrifying T1E2

Old 08-10-2012, 01:10 PM
Rex Ross

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default The Terrifying T1E2

I have always liked the T1E2, which evolved into the M6 Heavy Tank. Two things about it really got my attention. First, it has a lot of guns sticking out of it. Second, it has armored skirts that cover the suspension.............and that means ya don't have to build a fancy bunch of detail for what ya can't see. Yippee! This is gonna be a walk in the park!

The big problem with scratch building a tank is finding proper track that has acceptable tread design and size and will look like the real thing, or at least something that can be modified to come close to looking right.

Thanks to some of the members of this forum, I was made aware of a website source that had some track for robotic applications that had possibilities for 1/16th R/C stuff. So I ordered two sets and was pleased to find out the track would really come close to how the track looks on the real M6 prototype. It was the right size and the design could be modified to resemble the real track, after a few simple (hahaha) modifications.

Then I found an M6 walkaround website that showed close ups of the detail of those armored side skirts. Good Grief........there is as much detail to contend with on those side skirts as there would be to build a totally exposed suspension. The good news is there are no rivets......... but a bunch of screws instead! The turret was going to be a fun project as well. It has an interesting shape, not very simple, but not too bad to fabricate.

Undaunted, and with great resolve, I stepped forward and solemnly swore that I would accept the challenge to build a T1E2 to the best of my ability, no matter what the cost, or hardship, or consequence to my mental health or welfare.

Failure is not a option! Death before dishonor! I regret I only have one life to give to my hobby!

Or something like that, but maybe not as severe and terminal. Hey! .....this hobby is suppose to be fun! Gimme a break!

When I first started scratchbuilding, it was because I wanted a tank that wasn't available as a factory RTR model or a kit. I wanted something nobody else had. I wanted to be the guy who had the only one in the world!!!!!!!

I soon discovered there were about a million other guys in the world who had the same idea. No matter what I built, there was somebody who did it first.......and better. Dang it!!!

Soooooo..........I would like to extend an invitation to the dozens (hundreds?) of other scratchbuilders out there to post photos of their T1E2 (or M6) project. I really would like to see how their model turned out..........(probably better than mine..........I hate it when that happens).

It still needs some detail clean up before painting, but this is it so far.........I hope paint will make it look better.

Rex

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37748.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	1790754   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55198.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	1790755   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo29539.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	1790756   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rk24268.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	1790757   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uf52232.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	1790758   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vl80942.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	1790759   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ln12698.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	1790760  
Old 08-10-2012, 01:17 PM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: The Terrifying T1E2

Superb.

I believe you reached your goal, an excellent representation of an unique subject.

Well done, can't wait to see it painted.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:54 PM
tomhugill

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibctO2KSiVga belgian fella did this, there is a full build! Btw yours looks fantastic! He also did this which is rather insane! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBw5v...feature=relmfu
Old 08-10-2012, 03:25 PM
DirtyBird69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Holy C@%P!!!!!!!!!!! SWEET
Old 08-10-2012, 03:28 PM
Rex Ross

ORIGINAL: ausf

Superb.

I believe you reached your goal, an excellent representation of an unique subject.

Well done, can't wait to see it painted.
~~~~~~~

I was going to do an M6, but changed my mind. Heck, everyone has scratchbuilt an M6, but how many guys have the T1E2, which was the second prototype?

I'm going to take a break before I paint it. I have to take some of it apart to paint it. And the R/C gear hasn't been installed yet.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:33 PM
Rex Ross

ORIGINAL: tomhugill

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibctO2KSiVg a belgian fella did this, there is a full build! Btw yours looks fantastic! He also did this which is rather insane! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBw5v...feature=relmfu
~~~~~~

Yeah ........ His M6 looks real good. I wonder whose tracks he used? His T35 is a killer. Ya gotta love those turrets! I love the way the Russians think.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:16 PM
Buckeye36
My Feedback: (3)

Outstanding!
Another awesome job...incredible! [X(]
Old 08-10-2012, 04:23 PM
Airbrushler

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

You are the Master Rex Ross can't wait to see the paint and to see it RC
Old 08-10-2012, 05:42 PM
pattoncommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK Rex, now you did it [X(]...great looking tank and as usual, masterfull work. Know you did it over a couple coffee breaks and everything just fell in place. But now we need the T-1E1's big daddy, the M-6A2E1. After a while we'll have a bunch of guys scratchin' all the development tanks., or those that really never got a chance. ...that'll be impresive.

Name:	Rp44383.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	1790807   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79301.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	1790808  
Old 08-10-2012, 06:19 PM
Rex Ross

ORIGINAL: pattoncommander

OK Rex, now you did it [X(]...great looking tank and as usual, masterfull work. Know you did it over a couple coffee breaks and everything just fell in place. But now we need the T-1E1's big daddy, the M-6A2E1. After a while we'll have a bunch of guys scratchin' all the development tanks., or those that really never got a chance. ...that'll be impresive.
~~~~~~~~

I started that thing on Fathers Day, but didn't work on it every day. I think I spent more time trying to figure out an easy way to build it than I did just doing it.

I like the big turret on the M6 and the rear deck would be easier to build. I'll have to look into what would be involved with making a conversion rig.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:22 PM
pattoncommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would be an impressive tank...note that the bow is very different than the T-1 and M-6, in not having a porquepine of guns sticking out all over. Obvious why the tank didn't make it...a heluva big target and all flat sides, but still...very unique and neat looking. It's still far too much work than I have time for...figure my next will be a T-25 or maybe even an M-2A4. Way too busy with music so tank models that require a lot of time have to take a back seat .
Old 08-10-2012, 10:46 PM
fynsdad

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

As always, stunning build Rex.
The tracks are spot on, really set it off
Frank
Old 08-11-2012, 03:55 AM
angusx

Looks really splendid. A stunning machine indeed!
Old 08-11-2012, 06:13 AM
Rex Ross

ORIGINAL: fynsdad

As always, stunning build Rex.
The tracks are spot on, really set it off
Frank
~~~~~~~~

I was lucky to find some track that could be modified to resemble the track on the real 1:1 tank. It wasn't hard to do, it just took time (and patience).

Name:	Tr49671.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	1790896  
Old 08-11-2012, 07:12 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If only you worked for Tamiya or Heng Long. You are a man truly in touch with what tankers love. Another splendid job.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:20 AM
Rex Ross

ORIGINAL: YHR

If only you worked for Tamiya or Heng Long. You are a man truly in touch with what tankers love. Another splendid job.
~~~~~

I build what I like, and I like what I build. It's encouraging to know that others in this hobby think my efforts are worth a kind comment.

In 1965 I tried to get a job in the hobby industry. I sent a letter to everybody I could think of that had anything to do with modeling. I would have taken any kind of a job just to be involved with model building. Uhhhh ...... I mean, any kind of a job that would have allowed me to supported my wife and four kids. That was a disappointment. The biggest bummer was having tio pass up a job for Disney Studios in his special effects shop building models. I would have had to take a starting pay cut that was equal to my rent at the time. I couldn't figure out a way to do that. I will always wonder how that job would have turned out for me.

However, It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

Rex
Old 08-11-2012, 02:16 PM
Pah co chu puk

Received 141 Likes on 92 Posts

I finaly got around to looking this one up.

You did a splendid job, correct in every detail I can spot. The tracks were a lucky find, they do indeed match the real ones quite well, and they show that it ismore than just a Sherman with a new upper.

Did you scratch build the sproket or is it a robot one dressed up?
Old 08-11-2012, 05:37 PM
Rex Ross

ORIGINAL: Pah co chu puk

I finaly got around to looking this one up.

You did a splendid job, correct in every detail I can spot. The tracks were a lucky find, they do indeed match the real ones quite well, and they show that it is more than just a Sherman with a new upper.

Did you scratch build the sproket or is it a robot one dressed up?
~~~~~~~

Hunnicutts "Firepower " book had a lot of photos of the T1E2. I was originally going to do the M6, but that copula turret on the main turret of the T1E2 changed my mind. I already had a latex mold for it....it's the same turret that was on the M3 Lee turret. Also, I couldn't resist the AA mg on the rear of the turret. The tracks look better painted. The sprockets are dress ups. The reason each has two dummy sprockets on one side is because I screwed up the spacing putting them on and gluing them with CA.

Hey ...... I need some info about the hull and turret texture. Zoom in on those photos and tell me....does it look like a casting finish or not? I tried a new way to try and do a cast hull. I sprayed the hull and turret with rattle can primer and poured sugar all over it. After it dried, I brushed off the loose excess, rubbed it down lightly and sprayed it again to seal it, that It was easier than doing that finish using salt like I did on my T-28.

I think it turned out sweet.......What do you think?

Be honest, don't sugar coat your comments.

Nyuk Nyuk

Rex

Name:	Om34193.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	1791009   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je98772.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	1791010  
Old 08-11-2012, 05:56 PM
Pah co chu puk

Received 141 Likes on 92 Posts

Yes, the turret and hull look like they are cast in the picture.

Your method is sweet, it adds some nice eye candy.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:27 AM
Rex Ross

I have never been a perfectionist. "Close enough is good enough" has always been my motto .......... until now.

The finish on the hull that was supposed to replicate a cast texture just wasn't right. As I checked all of the details to make sure this model was ready for painting, I became very unhappy with the way it looked under close inspection. The photos I posted were misleading. I could only come to one conclusion about getting it to look right. Strip it all off and start over. Bad words were said.

The pile you see in front of the hull is the sugar enriched primer paint that peeled off in layers using a razor blade.

My brilliant idea about spray painting it and pouring sugar all over it to get a cast hull finish ..........was a dumb idea. I'm convinced I must have suffered brain damage aa a child. I'm going to do this over 'til I get it right..................

Rex

Name:	Yw66565.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	1791528  
Old 08-13-2012, 08:02 AM
B.A.D.A.S.S.Force

That's a shame you had to go through all this extra work. None-the-less, this project is awesome Rex, can't wait to see it finished!

I have done zero painting, weathering, or texturizing on anyything as far as models, but from what I have read around here & other various forums, many people use something called Mr. Surfacer 500 or Mr Surfacer 1000 to get a desired cast metal look. Is there a reason you didn't try using Mr Surfacer instead of your sugar method?

~ Craig ~
Old 08-13-2012, 10:06 AM
MAUS45

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

I agree. Mr. Surfacer is great. I also use liquid cement, like Testors, and a tooth brush to get the same affect. Here is site someone posted that shows both methods to get the cast look. Like I said I have used both to get the look I want.

http://gamerabaenre.com/?page_id=1417
Old 08-13-2012, 10:22 AM
vett guy

allways amazes just how creative some of you guys are .also maybe like a case of cronic shermititus .
Old 08-13-2012, 12:04 PM
Rex Ross

ORIGINAL: B.A.D.A.S.S.Force

That's a shame you had to go through all this extra work. None-the-less, this project is awesome Rex, can't wait to see it finished!

I have done zero painting, weathering, or texturizing on anyything as far as models, but from what I have read around here & other various forums, many people use something called Mr. Surfacer 500 or Mr Surfacer 1000 to get a desired cast metal look. Is there a reason you didn't try using Mr Surfacer instead of your sugar method?

~ Craig ~
~~~~~~~~~~

I wasn't aware of Mr Surfacer, but I definitely am going to try it, and texture paint as well. There's a lot of stuff I don't know about. I suffer from old guy tunnel vision.....Heck, the way I did things was good enough 50 years ago....why should I try any new fangled gizmos? The sugar thing was an experiment and it did work pretty good with petroleum based primer paint. But there were some spots that need touching up and I used acylic paint (and sugar) for fixing up some areas. Primer worked for a base and for sealing the sugar, but water based paint just disolved the sugar and left a tacky/sticky surface that didn't dry. Duh. I tried to wash it off, but realized I was making a bad situation worse. Ya live and ya learn.

Thanks to all for your willingness to share information about a "better way". It's a fact that I have learned a lot from the people on this forum.
Rex
Old 08-13-2012, 05:22 PM
yellowshaker
My Feedback: (1)

magnificent build, Rex! I wish I had 1/10 of your skill....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.