Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Just bought a slow stix and a Spectrum Dx6i and having trouble

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Just bought a slow stix and a Spectrum Dx6i and having trouble

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 01:50 PM
meloman408

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought a slow stix and a Spectrum Dx6i and having trouble

So I just got back from the hobby shop after they put my plane together that I ordered from tower hobbies a slowstick es 400and I cant get it to work they said that I need a new reciever that the one from hobbyking is most likely the problem i have more from hobby king but am unsure how to connect it theres a bunch of connection on the reciever Aux1 whatever that is Gear Rudd eleve ailerons throttle and battery. If someone can please give me some advice I would really appreciate as I am a total newb but really want to start flying already. Thanks!
Old 08-13-2012, 02:40 PM
SeamusG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Just bought a slow stix and a Spectrum Dx6i and having trouble

You need to be more specific. What is the specific model number of the HK Rx?

Also, are you hooked up with a local club yet?

Old 08-13-2012, 02:55 PM
GaryHarris

Several mistakes made here brother. When you buy online, don't expect much help from your LHS. And I don't blame them.

We would assume you never flew before as SeamusG is pointing out. You WILL crash even though it's a Slow Stick unless you some amazing natural talent, but if you did, you wouldn't be asking these questions. Sorry if we come across somewhat harsh, but it's the truth.

For the Slow Stick or just about any GWS stick plane, you need to run some strapping tape on the wings leading edge's for strength and possibly some fishing line from the wing tips to the tops of the landing gear.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:44 PM
meloman408

Its a DSM2 orange rx 2.4 ghz reciever I think 6 channel Yea I understand thanks for the help sorry no picures my phone broke and no never flone but I heard its a good first plane
Old 08-13-2012, 03:54 PM
SeamusG

This the plane? HERE

About your Rx - output channels include:  channel 1 - throttle; channel 2 - aileron; channel 3 - elevator; channel 4 - rudder; channel 5 - gear (retracts) and channel  6 - auxiliary 1 plus a connection for your power supply. Btw, I'm clueless on setting up an EP model (throttle) but the rest are the same irrespective of propulsion.

If the plane is correct you do not have ailerons, only rudder & elevator. 1 micro servo for each.

Brand is VERY IMPORTANT!

So, what brand are you micro servos?
Your radio (transmitter aka Tx)?

Old 08-13-2012, 04:00 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Agreed with Gary Harris. It's a pretty big jerk move to show up at the hobby shop asking them to help you with equipment you bought somewhere else. Now if you paid them to do the setup for you, that's another story entirely...

And I have a request. Please use periods and other various and sundry forms of punctuation. Proper spelling would be helpful too, but I understand if that's too much to ask. I know it's a small thing, and I'm not complaining, but if you want us to give you good answers it will help to make your posts as easy to read as possible.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:26 PM
SeamusG

I don't have any issues with a LHS doing the "assembly" of an ARF. They could have told him to get lost but didn't.

Ditto on the punctuation observation - makes understanding the post a bunch easier.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:31 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I don't have an issue with them doing it either. I have an issue with asking them to do it. I feel bad enough asking mine to order parts for stuff I buy used, but at least I'm paying full retail for them and usually walk in with the part number written down to make it easy for them!
Old 08-14-2012, 08:08 AM
meloman408

Yea I paid for them to do the setup and center of gravity.  Thanks for the responses, anyways yes thats the plane I have this is my complete setup.

1. Plane as listed avobe

2. Two Hitec HS-55 micro servos

3. Orange Rx DSM2 reciever 6 ch

4. GWS ICS400 ESC

5. NiMH 1200 8.4v battery

6. Tx Spectrum Dx6i

And in regards to the other questions I hane no local club probably just fly it on this hill with no inhabitants near my house I heard its a good place to fly and I always see people there.  Uhh! And let me know if there is anything I'm misssing thanks again guys.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:15 AM
meloman408

Oh and almost forgot in response to this from Gary Harris have any idea how I would go about about doing this "For the Slow Stick or just about any GWS stick plane, you need to run some strapping tape on the wings leading edge's for strength and possibly some fishing line from the wing tips to the tops of the landing gear". Like exactly if I should make wholes in the wings and where or what kind of equippment I need to do this. I mean I think I have the right tape as for fish string I might have some sewing string I can maybe cobine string s for added strength and stability I guess.  And lastly If its not a good idea to go fly this plain then what do you suggest, I mean where do I get a flight simulator. My plan was just to take it real easy like barely learn how to lift off the first  day but yea as for the landing am real unsure on how I'll go about that.

For the Slow Stick or just about any GWS stick plane, you need to run some strapping tape on the wings leading edge's for strength and possibly some fishing line from the wing tips to the tops of the landing gear.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:22 AM
opjose

The Spektrum will bind just fine to the receiver you have.

However you should initially perform the binding "outside" the plane.

I typically hook up a spare RX battery pack to the RX after inserting the bind plug, I also plug a spare servo into the RX. then I turn on the TX while holding down the BIND button.

Continue to hold the bind button down as the TX powers up. Once it is up wait an additional 2-3 seconds then release the bind button.

The light on the Orange RX should go solid, and the servo should respond.

If it does it is important to remove the BIND plug FIRST before turning anything off.

If this doesn't work, merely repeat until it does. Sometimes it may take 1-3 tries before everthing syncs up.

Afterwards plug the RX back into the plane. You've eliminated one problematic area and can concentrate on the channel assignments, etc.

Make sure you have your channels set up as SeamusG mentioned and that your control surfaces move in the proper directions.

You should have someone more experienced set up the plane and fly it first. They can trim it out for you, set the throttle range, etc... so at the least there will be some CHANCE of success.

I assume you'll be playing with a simulator first?

If not the Slow Stik, while an excellent first plane, will not last very long.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:31 AM
SeamusG

Assuming that your LHS plugged the servos into the correct Rx connectors you need to bind the Tx with the Rx. Your radio came with a combination bind plug. Combination? Yea, it has 2 adapters. One is a male connector - just like the connector on a servo wire - with a short wire loop connecting the outer 2 pins. The other is a female connector that would accept the male connector. The male connector is intended to be inserted into an open channel on your Rx. The female connector is used when you have an external 3-wire charge port. In your case, use the male connector.

Follow the manual instructions on page 18 to bind.

Btw - some add a 3" extension wire to an open channel and leave it accessible so that they can bundle up the Rx for protection yet have easy access to the Rx using the extension to re-bind.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87634.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	1791912  
Old 08-14-2012, 01:41 PM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

JUST BUY FROM HOBBY KING BETTER YET SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL HOBBY SHOP>>
Old 08-14-2012, 01:52 PM
GaryHarris

ORIGINAL: meloman408

Oh and almost forgot in response to this from Gary Harris have any idea how I would go about about doing this ''For the Slow Stick or just about any GWS stick plane, you need to run some strapping tape on the wings leading edge's for strength and possibly some fishing line from the wing tips to the tops of the landing gear''. Like exactly if I should make wholes in the wings and where or what kind of equippment I need to do this. I mean I think I have the right tape as for fish string I might have some sewing string I can maybe cobine string s for added strength and stability I guess. And lastly If its not a good idea to go fly this plain then what do you suggest, I mean where do I get a flight simulator. My plan was just to take it real easy like barely learn how to lift off the first day but yea as for the landing am real unsure on how I'll go about that.

Hi meloman.

One of the most important things is to keep the plane as light as possible especially if your running the standard motor/battery combo. As far as strengthening the wings with strapping tape and fishing line, I would take the standard strapping tape, split it down the middle and run it on the underside of the wing about 1-2" back from the LE. This will help with wing fold up when you start doing rolls.

To add more wing strength, you can tie some 3 lb. fishing line to the uppermost part of the LF wire, and run it to the wing tips. Punch a hole through the wing tips, run the line through and tie it off to a piece of bamboo shiskabob stick about whatever length you think you need. 1/2" or better. Make sure you don't tighten the line too much pulling the wing tips down and changing the dihedral.
Old 08-19-2012, 03:22 PM
meloman408

Just wanted to say thanks for all the help, reallly appreciate it. I have been stumped at work and haven't gotten around to try to bind my Tx and get my plane working but I'll see if I can do it later on today. Thanks again guys!