Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

WHY GO EDF IF YOU HAVE TURBINES?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems
View Poll Results: A poll
Turbines are expensive (electrics are cheaper)
18.30%
Turbines/support gear are too messy/smelly (electrics super clean)
8.26%
Electrics are easier to set up/operate/maintain (turbines are finicky)
10.04%
Electrics are quicker get flying (turbines lengthy setup, fueling)
9.15%
Turbines are more likely to cause a fire
7.14%
Turbines have lower reliability (electrics don’t dead stick)
4.69%
My field ( or other field of choice) does not allow turbines
14.06%
No waiver required (in the US, maybe elesewhere I don''t know)
13.39%
Something different
14.96%
Voters: 448. You may not vote on this poll

WHY GO EDF IF YOU HAVE TURBINES?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 04:59 PM
uncljoe
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: WHY GO EDF IF YOU HAVE TURBINES?

Not bad for a 3.5 min flight ... I look forward to seeing how well your Hunter flys at BitW
Semper Fi
Old 08-14-2012, 05:08 PM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

one persons opinion...but I find electrics in all flavors to be unsatisfying.....kinda like kissing your sister. There is just no pizzaz!

Now having said that, I own, and continue to fly them, but they don't put a big smile on my face like dinosaur burners do!!!
Old 08-14-2012, 05:18 PM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

wayne you're not flying the right electric ducted fan if you find them boring
Old 08-14-2012, 05:19 PM
Eddie P
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: Wayne22

one persons opinion...but I find electrics in all flavors to be unsatisfying.....kinda like kissing your sister. There is just no pizzaz!

Now having said that, I own, and continue to fly them, but they don't put a big smile on my face like dinosaur burners do!!!
Maybe that's why everyone else is getting into it, 'cause they are kissing "your" sister!!!! (long lost sister, Russian supermodel type...) Just kidding, I simply could not resist.

Turbine jets are cool, there is no doubt.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:32 PM
JackD
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: dubd

ORIGINAL: JackD

Raf, I thought you had a TJ-80 in that F-86, no? 5s power?

Eddie, I can see how you've found a balance between EDFs and turbines. I am passively looking for a 120mm and up EDF model fly near my house.

Can you guys name some ARFs that make for great turbine to EDF conversions?
If you want an EDF for tomcats, there are just 2 options for you: electra or ebandit... look no further
It took you nearly 2 years to convince me to pull the trigger on a BVM F-100... It'll be a decade for the Electra and ebandit!
After you try the F100, it will take you 5 minutes to follow my advice hahahaha
Old 08-14-2012, 05:41 PM
rcpete347
My Feedback: (251)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HI all, still need a box, I hate electrics, or should I say nuclear jets.
Rcpete
PS, my friend Mike has 2 new BVM Bandits, One , a E-bandit, and the other a Jet Central Cheetah powered Bandit. Guess which one he is always flying, yesthe Cheetah Bandit.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:48 PM
Ron101
My Feedback: (22)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I do EDF and electric because I love it
The new(ish) wave of multiblade fans have a very nice sound and all the power I need to have a good time

Everyone should have a Habu 32 and a stack of 6s 5000mah packs... it's just to much fun to fly over and over [&:]

I sold my first turbine the minute I spilled kero in my garage and van.... the smell took forever to leave and I hated it

For me EDF and electric are a god send, I get migrains from kero and gas. I almost left the hobby but thankfully found electrics in 2007. I now find more joy than ever converting warbirds, aerobats, jets to electric... the bigger the better. It's very fun to try something new

I've been in the hobby for over 20 years and the funnest part going electric is I've really fallen in love with how quiet and graceful the planes can be.... to the point I hate the sound of turbines, nitro and gas planes.... kind of crazy. I would have never dreamed I'd get this way when I started I wanted my planes as loud as they could get

The main thing is have fun with what ever you do and don't put down others for what they do, you don't have to enjoy it. But it won't hurt to show some interest in your bud at the fields plane no matter what it is. I check out everyones planes no matter what they are and just enjoy sharing this hobby with friends

we shouldn't let types of planes or power plants divide us were to small a group to break off into even small groups..... if it flys I find joy in it that simple

just have fun and fly safe
Old 08-14-2012, 06:57 PM
dubd

ORIGINAL: Ron101

Everyone should have a Habu 32 and a stack of 6s 5000mah packs... it's just to much fun to fly over and over [&:]
While I agree with the sentiment, I can't agree about the Habu 32. I nearly fell asleep with mine (stock set-up), so I sold it. I was then talked into building a 12s version, which I did... and once again I needed a nap during the flight and sold the plane.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:09 PM
k_sonn
My Feedback: (32)

Never considered the SM 2m Viper as an EDF. The vertical performance looks a little anemicin the video. Do you think that can be resolved?
I'm not sure if he using full throttle in the verticals. The version of the fan that's in my Hunter has a higher KV motor and puts out 6 more pounds of thrust. That might do it for you. We can talk more about it at BITW.

Kirk
Old 08-14-2012, 08:10 PM
k_sonn

ORIGINAL: uncljoe

Not bad for a 3.5 min flight ... I look forward to seeing how well your Hunter flys at BitW
Semper Fi
Looking forward to meeting you unclejoe.

Kirk
Old 08-14-2012, 08:13 PM
su27flanker

i thought most guys would fly both these days??
Old 08-14-2012, 08:21 PM
Ruizmilton
My Feedback: (29)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

While I agree with the sentiment, I can't agree about the Habu 32. I nearly fell asleep with mine (stock set-up), so I sold it. I was then talked into building a 12s version, which I did... and once again I needed a nap during the flight and sold the plane.
I agree on the 32, but my case was with a hot 6s set-up. I get angry when I read threads like this because even though EDF's are no match to turbines, there will always be the discussion that EDF's are better, in my opinion, sorry, will all due respect, they will NEVER be.

For the record, I do like EDF's and have been flying them since the beginning. Are they simple...yes, are they convenient...yes, are they more economical than a turbine...yes, up to maybe 90mm

Personally, the satisfaction I got from a 120mm HP set-up is not that far from what I got from a hot 70mm set-up, actually the 70mm I liked better, so why spend the big bucks?? get yourself a turbine engine aircraft, yet if your field bans turbines, get the biggest EDF you can get.

Hardcore EDF flyers need to accept the fact that EDF's and turbines generate thrust differently, therefore the performance behavior and "punch" of a turbine will never be equaled, even when comparing to EDF's that produce more thrust than a given turbine. Main reason being the difference between static and dynamic thrust, a turbine will have the advantage on dynamic thrust.

Second, EDF's are gliders 50% of the time, so no, there is no match, If I want a glider, I will buy a glider...

I personally set-up my EDF's with an idle and slow spool-up/down as if they were turbines, call me crazy, but yes I do that...

Old 08-14-2012, 08:36 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I like the BVM MiG-15 (a lot), but if you assume you will need about $1000 of airborne radio equipment, the electric ARF kit (go fly) with 2 sets of batteries will be over $10,000.

And that is with the low end air gear, not the tricked out electric gear. With that e gear and bells and whistles it will be over $11K
Old 08-14-2012, 08:38 PM
k_sonn

ORIGINAL: Ruizmilton

I get angry when I read threads like this because even though EDF's are no match to turbines, there will always be the discussion that EDF's are better, in my opinion, sorry, will all due respect, they will NEVER be.
I hope I'm not one of the guys that make you feel this way. I don't feel they're better, just different. Heck, I'm turbine waivered although I mostly fly edf's now. I feel there is a place for both power systems, it just depends upon what you like or feel more comfortable with.

Kirk
Old 08-14-2012, 08:44 PM
su27flanker

the best option is Habu 32 with a p20

I agree on the 32, but my case was with a hot 6s set-up. I get angry when I read threads like this because even though EDF's are no match to turbines, there will always be the discussion that EDF's are better, in my opinion, sorry, will all due respect, they will NEVER be.

For the record, I do like EDF's and have been flying them since the beginning. Are they simple...yes, are they convenient...yes, are they more economical than a turbine...yes, up to maybe 90mm

Personally, the satisfaction I got from a 120mm HP set-up is not that far from what I got from a hot 70mm set-up, actually the 70mm I liked better, so why spend the big bucks?? get yourself a turbine engine aircraft, yet if your field bans turbines, get the biggest EDF you can get.

Hardcore EDF flyers need to accept the fact that EDF's and turbines generate thrust differently, therefore the performance behavior and "punch" of a turbine will never be equaled, even when comparing to EDF's that produce more thrust than a given turbine. Main reason being the difference between static and dynamic thrust, a turbine will have the advantage on dynamic thrust.

Second, EDF's are gliders 50% of the time, so no, there is no match, If I want a glider, I will buy a glider...

I personally set-up my EDF's with an idle and slow spool-up/down as if they were turbines, call me crazy, but yes I do that...

Old 08-14-2012, 08:45 PM
Ruizmilton
My Feedback: (29)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: k_sonn

I get angry when I read threads like this because even though EDF's are no match to turbines, there will always be the discussion that EDF's are better, in my opinion, sorry, will all due respect, they will NEVER be.
I hope I'm not one of the guys that make you feel this way. I don't feel they're better, just different. Heck, I'm turbine waivered although I mostly fly edf's now. I feel there is a place for both power systems, it just depends upon what you like or feel more comfortable with.

Kirk
Kirk;

It's not the individuals, it's the persistent tendency of it becoming a competition, I like them both, but they are not the same and will never be. Nothing personal, I respect everyone's choices.

Have you tried the slow spool-up/down? I tend to think it would be common to those who have had turbines and are flying EDF's
Old 08-14-2012, 08:52 PM
Gra55h0pper

Hey Dantley, I could swear that I saw you put more flights on your E-Flite MIG15 EDF foamie last weekend than you put on your ultra bandit.
Now talk yourself out of that one!?!?

My perspective: EDF is great fun (as long as they're not foamies). Turbines are more great fun . Comparing them is like comparing apples and oranges. Sometimes I like one, other times the other...
Old 08-14-2012, 09:04 PM
jetpilot
My Feedback: (48)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

would it be safe to say that batteries are worthless at some point? what is their life expectancy? these things will end up in a land fill someday. Is it really going green when you have a piece of toxic hazardous materiel needing of proper disposal in a year or two and possibly a thousand dollars or more down the drain?
whats the used battery market like? yea, the puffed ones too?
how often do the speed controllers fry? motors burn up?
how about you bite the bullet and throwdown the 9K and buy the top of the line xyzdxmsmarkII and next week they come out with the xyzdxmsmarkIII completely outdating your dinasour xyzdxmsmarkII.
I bought a TREX 600. Changing and charging these batteries is a real pisser for 4minute flights. Im going glo!!
then you have these battery bombs you have to store in a ammo cans hoping not to burn your house down.
did i mention I hate electrics. good for foamies and mini helis, not jets..lol
scott
Old 08-14-2012, 09:57 PM
dubd

ORIGINAL: Gra55h0pper

Hey Dantley, I could swear that I saw you put more flights on your E-Flite MIG15 EDF foamie last weekend than you put on your ultra bandit.
Now talk yourself out of that one!?!?

My perspective: EDF is great fun (as long as they're not foamies). Turbines are more great fun . Comparing them is like comparing apples and oranges. Sometimes I like one, other times the other...

Hans, you got me there on the Eflite MIG-15. You seem to like turbines more these days because it's been quite some time since I've seen one of your dirt dusters. Maybe Manny's EDF drama has biased me.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:58 AM
DavidR
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: jetpilot

would it be safe to say that batteries are worthless at some point? what is their life expectancy? these things will end up in a land fill someday. Is it really going green when you have a piece of toxic hazardous materiel needing of proper disposal in a year or two and possibly a thousand dollars or more down the drain?
whats the used battery market like? yea, the puffed ones too?
how often do the speed controllers fry? motors burn up?
how about you bite the bullet and throwdown the 9K and buy the top of the line xyzdxmsmarkII and next week they come out with the xyzdxmsmarkIII completely outdating your dinasour xyzdxmsmarkII.
I bought a TREX 600. Changing and charging these batteries is a real pisser for 4minute flights. Im going glo!!
then you have these battery bombs you have to store in a ammo cans hoping not to burn your house down.
did i mention I hate electrics. good for foamies and mini helis, not jets..lol
scott

Scott,

I have several sets of batteries that are three years old and still in good shape. I am on the second season on two sets with no noticeable degradation of performance. What is the life expectancy of your jet fuel? It's a constant purchase, batteries you buy all your fuel up front and if you treat them properly they last a long time. I would hazard to say that the "fuel costs" average out to about the same.

LiPO's are not toxic materials BTW. NiCads certainly were with the Cadmium metal that they were made of.

I have had one speed controller go poof in 5 years of flying EDF, that was when battery technology to a major jump and the speed controller was actually undersized for the current the motor was drawing. It was replaced under warranty. Never have burned up a motor, but the system I am flying is matched to controller, and batteries.

I store my batteries in a metal tool case, no big deal. I am sure you have tool boxes, spare parts containers etc.... Hell you even have a trailer to store your airplanes in! So what's the big deal????

It's fun I keep seeing a lot of people complaining about charge times, do we not still have to charge our receiver, and ECU packs? I also like the fact that after flying all day I don't have the stink of jet fuel on my hands and clothes.

No one is saying EDF is better than turbines, just different and for some of us quite enjoyable. Your getting old now and you don't fly as fast as you used to anyway so why not try an EDF....

DR
Old 08-15-2012, 05:03 AM
k_sonn

Have you tried the slow spool-up/down? I tend to think it would be common to those who have had turbines and are flying EDF's
I have some delay programmed into the esc on my Hunter. To me it has a more natural feel than instant throttle response and it is not as demanding on the system. On high powered setups, instant throttle response can cause serious voltage spike and voltage ripple in the system which in turn will cause major damage to the esc and batteries.

Kirk
Old 08-15-2012, 05:12 AM
k_sonn

I have a suggestion to make, especiallyto the guys who posted that they hate electrics. If your club has trainer night, go and volunteer some time to help teach the "next generation" of rc pilots how to fly. While you're there, take a good look around and see what is being used as today's trainer. At the local club in my area 95% of the trainers are electric powered. Most of these guys will never fly a wet fuel powered aircraft. In a few years when some of them obtain the skill to fly jets, what do you think that jet will be powered with? Are they going to be welcomed in the jet community if they aren't flying turbines? Do you think you're really helping the jet community with the "I hate electrics" sentiment?

Here's something else to think about. How many turbine waivers were issued this year? Last year? The year before that? Are the numbers increasing, decreasing, or leveling off?

Kirk
Old 08-15-2012, 05:29 AM
Bob_B

The new generation multi-bladed fans have a turbine like sound, not the whine that many dislike including myself.

Dantley get yourself another Habu 32 and put a Stumax 80-45 on 8S in it and I think you'll change your mind about the excitement.
No it will never be a turbine but it will outfly a P20 Habu, It's cheaper and you can charge right off your car battery and cycle your packs in about 15 minutes.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:08 AM
Ron101
My Feedback: (22)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are they going to be welcomed in the jet community if they aren't flying turbines? Do you think you're really helping the jet community with the "I hate electrics" sentiment?

I agree 100% Kirk, it's also sadly one of the main reasons I have zero interest in attending meets anymore unless they are electric only.
I used to go to meets for years when doing wet fuel. I still feel welcome at the meets with electrics but it's the bashing on here by many of the people I know attend the meets that makes me feel why bother.

I've said this in the past and eveyone comes back with "oh Ron you are welcome, come on out bud"..... with all the bashing I see here toward electric power a simple atta boy doesn't erase what I feel is the true underlying feelings of many.... I'm not at a meet to prove something, just there to fly and have fun.

I'd rather fly at my home feild for free and have a good time, so that's what I choose to do...

I all so have zero interest in turbines and with the lack of e planes at meets I bore easy...... it is what it is
I think seperate meets are the best idea to please both sides, it's also hard to hear an EDF with a few turbines in the air

but like you Kirk I'd like to see both sides come together to grow jet flying and not pull it apart, the future is without a doubt electric power

Feilds are being lost every day due to sound issues..... of the three fields I fly only one can you fly turbines and it's an hour away

the main thing is enjoy what you are doing and don't worry about what others enjoy
Old 08-15-2012, 06:52 AM
Bob_B

Ron 101, you're wasting your breath with the haters.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.