Notices
Airplanes - Full Scale Discuss full scale airplanes here

Good progress on my O-58A

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 04:50 PM
sdunn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good progress on my O-58A

Only four left on the FAA registry, none flying. 1100 hrs TT Army flew her 756 hrs

Fuselage rotisserie built, about to start welding repairs, plane has not flown since 1954.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:45 PM
beepee

Default RE: Good progress on my O-58A

I love it! Keep us updated on your progress.

Thanks for sharing,

Bedford
Old 05-17-2012, 06:31 AM
sdunn

ORIGINAL: beepee

I love it! Keep us updated on your progress.

Thanks for sharing,

Bedford
Thanks,

1/4 scale plans are available for the plane, it would make a great scale model, maybe when I get time I will build one. I have never seen a scale model built, lots of L-4s but no O-58As.

Old 05-19-2012, 04:38 AM
sdunn

We finally got the L-3 facebook page up yesterday and will be posting progress on the O-58A there. Will also post more photos of the 1943 L-3C that we are picking up next week.

https://www.facebook.com/AeroncaO58AndL3OwnersAndFans
Old 08-17-2012, 03:13 PM
sdunn

All welding completed, frame epoxy primed, all formers and stringers installed. Spruce green house framing completed. We have also started the restoration of Our very rare L-3C in addition to the O-58A. You can follow the restoration of both aircraft on our L-3 face book page. The wood instrument "panel" is a wood buck we will use to form the top curve in the 3003 .040 aluminum instrument panel.

https://www.facebook.com/AeroncaO58AndL3OwnersAndFans

Old 08-17-2012, 03:22 PM
sdunn

As we were removing old parts and structure from the L-3C getting it ready to bead blast we found the remnants of the antenna mast and clamp attached to the left front carry thru tube. This C had a fixed wire antenna and portable Army field radio installed, probably a BC-659. Many sources quote the lasting misconception that the rare L-3c was just a trainer and was not equipped with radio equipment. The L-3C has a large extended greenhouse and only six are left on the FAA registry, there are only four L-3A (O-58A) aircraft left out of the 20 that were built. There are currently 284 L-3B aircraft still on the registry.

The original antenna mast will be restored with new 1/2 inch tubing using the factory drawing. We already have a 1940's antenna with insulators.