Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Composites Fabrication And Repair
Reload this Page >

Hysol and Polyester Fiberglass Resin Compatibility

Community
Search
Notices
Composites Fabrication And Repair Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, Fiberglass and all the newest high tech composites

Hysol and Polyester Fiberglass Resin Compatibility

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 07:00 PM
glowplugboy
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hysol and Polyester Fiberglass Resin Compatibility

Very simple question: Will Hysol adhere to a polyester resin fuselage if it is properly roughed up and cleaned?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 08-17-2012, 07:11 PM
brad59
My Feedback: (32)

Default RE: Hysol and Polyester Fiberglass Resin Compatibility

The general rule is: Epoxy over Polyester is ok, vice versa is not. I have used epoxy on polyester resin successfully many times. Polyester won't cure over epoxy.
Brad
Old 08-17-2012, 07:23 PM
wyowindworks

You will get a good bond to the polyester.  In fact, it will bond to the polyester better than the polyester will.   Scuff the bonding surface with 80 sandpaper, clean with acetone, and bond away.   BTW, polyester will cure just fine over epoxy....it's just a very poor adhesive. 

Old 08-17-2012, 07:27 PM
glowplugboy
My Feedback: (17)

Many thanks gentlemen! I can't stand the odor of Polyester resin, so this is good news.

Mike
Old 08-20-2012, 06:57 PM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[quote]ORIGINAL: brad59

The general rule is: Epoxy over Polyester is ok, vice versa is not. I have used epoxy on polyester resin successfully many times. Polyester won't cure over epoxy.
Brad
[/quote

Polyester resin will cure just fine over 5 min epoxy, however, polyester will cure over 30 min epoxy, but very slowly. Like 24 hours at least. Whenever I use 30 min epoxy to join foam cores, I have to seal the seam with 5 min epoxy before applying fiber glass cloth and polyester resin.

Before I use any adhesive on the inside of a epoxy glass or fiber glass fuselage, I wipe with acetone and then scuff the surface. If it's an epoxy glass fuselage I use 5 min epoxy. If it's a polyester resin fuselage, I use polyester resin. I've never had a problem with polyester bonding to polyester. But since most all fiber glass parts today or epoxy resins, just use 5 min epoxy.

Frank