Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Pipe for DLE 35 RA

Old 08-14-2012, 11:32 AM
LRFitch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pipe for DLE 35 RA

Guys,

Thanking about putting a DLE 35 RA in a 2 meter pattern airplane. Everything I've read says it is a good setup for a pipe on the DLE's rear exhaust. What are sources for an appropriate header and pipe? Does anyone have experience with running the DLE 35 on a pipe? Help me understand.

Thanks,
Larry Fitch
Old 08-14-2012, 11:45 AM
Roberto B.

Default RE: Pipe for DLE 35 RA

http://www.escomposites.com/petrol.htm
Old 08-14-2012, 03:49 PM
aerobear
My Feedback: (4)

I think there are very few actually in the hands of customers and perhaps none running on a pipe yet. I asked a US importer for the exhaust port dimensions and got no response. A simple sketch like the one below is all that is needed. Until the exhaust port is known it's tough to come up with a header. Most likely [link=https://www.krumscheid-metallwaren.de/neu/showarticlelist.php?action=list&lang=EN&cat=SBS_S]KS[/link] has a header part available that is a close enough fit to work with little or no modification. You just have to sort through their many variations.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59833.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	1792014  
Old 08-17-2012, 09:40 AM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: LRFitch

Guys,

Thanking about putting a DLE 35 RA in a 2 meter pattern airplane. Everything I've read says it is a good setup for a pipe on the DLE's rear exhaust. What are sources for an appropriate header and pipe? Does anyone have experience with running the DLE 35 on a pipe? Help me understand.

Thanks,
Larry Fitch
I think the Macs header for the OS140RX (Tower Hobbies or Macs, around 45$) will fit with minor mods. I use and recommend the ESComposites carbon pipe. Either the 30G or 40G work fine. If you can find a Mintor pipe for their 38cc engine, it works well too but about 1 1/2 ozs heavier (around 5 ounces). Forget the steel pipes and headers; they don't make sense in a light pattern set-up

Look at my various threads on piped gasoline engine set-ups. I've writen a fair amount on the subject of adapting gas engines of this size to pattern use. You will also find soft mounting for this size engine.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:39 PM
novayusa

ORIGINAL: LRFitch

Guys,

Thanks,
Larry Fitch
I got a pipe used to fit to Zenah 40CC engine and left a surface defective one in hand. If you want to get this to try. I'd like to send you for free. The only you have to spend is post charge from China.

The pipe as attachment shows.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63845.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	1792914  
Old 08-18-2012, 05:19 AM
LRFitch

novayusa,
I sent you an e-mail.

Larry
Old 08-18-2012, 05:55 AM
novayusa

Replied your email. I never use the pipe to fit to DLE35RA and I'd like to know the result. I send you the pipe for free but Ican save the money to buy a DLE35RA for the pipe fitting result.
It is worth to me.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:08 AM
vatechguy3
My Feedback: (11)

bump...

got a pipe a header for this engine yet?

tony
Old 09-15-2012, 03:51 AM
FSFLYER
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: vatechguy3

bump...

got a pipe a header for this engine yet?

tony
I just got this for the DLE 35RA:

http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items...HEADER-25.html

Got it from Troybuilt...$35.00...not bad.
It' made for a ZDZ40 Rear Exhaust and they have a straight, as well as the 25mm drop down header.

I was fully expecting to have to mill an adapter plate but it turns out that the mounting hole alignment is perfect...don't have to do anything to mount it up. May open the pipe flange a bit to more closely match that of the motor exaust port as it looks a bit restrictive.

Going to put it and a ES Composites 40cc pipe in an old Piedmont Focus II that currently has a YS140DZ in it. Need to lengthen the pipe tunnel a bit. Weight & performance should be interesting.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:16 PM
bbagle1

So I saw the OS 140rx header will work. I am now looking for a suitable canister. Troybuilt has the jmb tr50 which is described as a tuned canister for 50cc engines. It calls for a long header. I am assuming the header coming off of a rear exhaust dl35 would be too short. Am I correct or would it be OK with the extra volume of a 50cc canister? They also make a 30cc canister but it calls for a long header as well so I am pretty sure it wouldn't work. Does anyone know of a better canister option? Preferably with a 20mm Inlet diameter to fix the 140rx header? The tr50 has a 25mm Inlet and will require a 20mm/25mm coupler. I would like whatever power increase a tuned silencer would give me but just a noise reduction would be OK as I don't have room for a full tuned pipe.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:15 AM
MTK

ORIGINAL: bbagle1

So I saw the OS 140rx header will work. I am now looking for a suitable canister. Troybuilt has the jmb tr50 which is described as a tuned canister for 50cc engines. It calls for a long header. I am assuming the header coming off of a rear exhaust dl35 would be too short. Am I correct or would it be OK with the extra volume of a 50cc canister? They also make a 30cc canister but it calls for a long header as well so I am pretty sure it wouldn't work. Does anyone know of a better canister option? Preferably with a 20mm Inlet diameter to fix the 140rx header? The tr50 has a 25mm Inlet and will require a 20mm/25mm coupler. I would like whatever power increase a tuned silencer would give me but just a noise reduction would be OK as I don't have room for a full tuned pipe.
The standard 140RX header from Hatori is not the one I discuss above. The diameter is a bit small and this two piece unit is expensive.

The MACS Pro product for the 140RX is the one you want. You may need to go directly to MACS Pro to get one built. While they are at it, asking them toleaveit extra long could be one answer to the long header problem.....