Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Heli stuff and fellowship

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Heli stuff and fellowship

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 05:12 PM
dooleyje

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Heli stuff and fellowship

Hey everybody, been busy at the store and I have completed a couple of scale builds.

Matty the 450x and 4503D helicopters are more premium and heavy duty than the old 400. They both fly nicely. I love the new 300x. It is a super flying little helicopter that shares a few parts with the 450x such as main gears, tail and servos and of course the great 7200bx. The new tiny 130 flies super but it has a few growing pains such as the need for shimes in the tail section and the main gear needing a metal replacement. The tail on this one is rock solid and it is a blast to punch around and a great 3D trainer. Stable and rock solid. Personaly the stores demo has had no problem what so ever and trust me,,,,, we beat the h""" out of it.

I have knocked the dust off of my nitro birds. I have to replace the gyro in the Evo Scheadu since I stole it to put on the tail of my Yak54.... yeah I cheated but it is cool flying. I am doing a deep preflight on the Vibe and the Scheadu to be sure they are ready for flight. I replaced all of the fuel lines and filters and purchased fresh fuel. I am using VP 30% heli this time. I have had some good reports on this fuel for helis, airplanes and cars/trucks.

Later,

Jim
Old 08-04-2012, 02:52 AM
matty_p80

Hey Jimbo

glad to see you're not being kept idle! ha ha ha!

glad you told me about the 130 as that was probably going to be my next purchase!

no flying for me as of late as i've been settling into the new job (lates first weeks: 12 noon - 10.30pm ; earlies the next : 6am - 4:30pm), also been trying to sort out getting paid too as it is a nightmare!!!

also enjoying being with my family again, Naiya has adjusted very quickly but Jules, understandably, is taking a little longer as she is so used to running the house on her own!!

hope to get the head back onto my 600n this weekend, as i took it off for transportation from Germany! because i had so much stuff to bring back i am renting a container for storage but it is not like everything being in the garage as it is a good 5 miles away, so i have to plan everything that i want to do because it takes a lot longer to 'to and fro'!!

hope everyone is well and flying, by all accounts you've definitely been having plenty of sunshine over thar in the good ol' U.S of A!!!

Sean, hope the move went well and you've managed to settle in okay!!?!?

be good people

p,l,c+mh

Matty
Old 08-04-2012, 02:54 AM
matty_p80

p.s. Jimbo looks like we're the last survivors???!!!
Old 08-10-2012, 03:58 AM
scasari

Hey everbody! Its been a long 4 weeks but now I finnally live in paris! Matty the move went pretty well and now that I am here I really miss flying helis at the rat club. I cant wait to start flying again! I never thought moving would be so tireing but everything fell into place in the end! I even got upgraded to first class on the way here!! Anyway we just finnaly got internet a few days ago and evereything is alot better now! I hope everyone is doing good and flying alot!
Thanks, Sean

P.S Norm we went by the club before we left to bye but I guess you were on vacation! we will see you at Christmas!
Old 08-10-2012, 04:02 AM
scasari

J.d I actully bought a 130x right before I left but my radio was put in the sea shipment to paris which has not arrived yet! Do you know of any upgrades that are a must for the 130 to fly well? I guess I need to figure out how to get parts in Paris! -Sean
Old 08-10-2012, 06:48 AM
one thumb

Hello all Y'All,
Old "one Thumb is back home and reading the posts again.
I took a motorcycle trip and put 8910 miles on the bike riding in a big loop of the US of A.
There were a few glitches with servicing the bikes and we did not get to see all we planed on, but the Grizzlies in Montana didn't get us.

When I got home, all the batteries for my little copters were dead and will not come back to life, so it is obvious, I don't know how to store them.
Just before leaving for the trip, I finished the Beaver and need to hook up with one of the club members who can Buddy box a coaching flight with me, I've never flown a plank and would hate to "bend" it.

I made a video and posted it on u-tube about the trip, it is not about flying in the air but floating on the roads. Not certain if it's OK to post it because of that, but it does introduce you to old "one thumb". Check out: http://youtu.be/k4cLBIIMIxQ

Himself,
One Thumb
Old 08-10-2012, 02:52 PM
dooleyje

Sean the metal main gear is a must and the tail torque shaft in the tail block sometimes touches the tail shaft and must me cut off. There is a harmonic that will vibrate the heli as you run it up but goes away as it gets to speed. You need to look on the threads to see the latest fix. Some are extending the tail supports back about 2 " and some are using shims on the tail shaft. I simply hit idle up as soon as I am reeady to fly and blast through the harmonic. Some has complained that the main gear appears to touch the main board but out test proved it false. I tell ya. it will run circles aroung the MCPX....lots of power and the tail holds. As far as parts you will probably have an easier time than us to find them. Horizon UK is one. I do recommend the 300x as a next airframe. There is a web site that sell just the airframe and no electronics if you have some 450 type servos ans a Spm7200bx lying around. If you need anything let me know and I can ship it to you. I have shipped stuff to Matty.

Thumb I am glad you are enjoying the road trips.

Matty I just think everyone is busy lately

Jim
Old 08-10-2012, 11:44 PM
scasari

Thanks Jim! I will research the torque tube cut and I will definetley upgade the metal gear! I have heard of some people having the problem of the gear touching the main board also! The 300x does look very nice but since I have a 450x I wanted something I could fly around the house so I went with the 130. I cant wait to fly my raptor again!! I miss the feeling of the nitro helis! Our sea shipment to france will be here this week I am exstatic to get flying again!
Old 08-11-2012, 03:13 AM
dooleyje

I am getting my nitros ready to fly. I have not flown them for several months due to the "quick do a battery and go back to work" and no clean up of the electrics. My Evo is ready and my Vibe is almost there. I am setting up a govenor for it from the 3Gx to see if I like it. The 3GX FBL side works fine but I haven't used the govenor. As far as the 130 gear touching the board,, we test several at the store and found you could slip a piece of paper between them so no touchy.

Jim
Old 08-14-2012, 03:04 AM
scasari

Wow! Yesterday Went to a hobby shop in paris and it was amazing! The prices were pretty good and they were very well stocked! They had like 20 300x stacked tall almost to the ceiling! They charged 220 euros for a 130x so it balances out well to U.S prices. They were very freindly and spoke alot of english! -Sean
Old 08-14-2012, 04:20 PM
Flyright
My Feedback: (92)

Hey Sean,
Great to finally catch up with you. Glad you all made it to Paris ok and your priorities are still in order ( flying helis and hobby shops). Tell your dad I said hello.

-Stuart aka Flyright
Old 08-15-2012, 12:26 PM
scasari

Hi stuart, yeah I'm glad I got my priorities straight! I like it here so far and I can't wait to get flying again! My radio and all my other stuff arrives tomorrow so I'm excited! Tell everyone hi from us and that we miss the club a lot ! -Sean

P.S Do you know where Norm is? We haven't heard from him for awhile.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:18 PM
Flyright
My Feedback: (92)

Norm? Who's that? He's been on "a trip" as he likes to call them . For the folks who work, they are called " Vacations" or "Holidays" now that you're across the pond. I'll tell him you're looking for him.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:39 PM
dooleyje

Hey Sean, Told ya!!!! they have the good stuff tooo... English? They talks better than we-uns

Blade 300x notice of problem: The main shafts are snapping mid air. The spindles are snapping in a crash instead of bending. I believe that the shafts have been hardend way too much making them brittle. The 300x does not have a oneway bearing so the shaft is snapping at the main gear bolt. 3 failures here so far not due to crashes out of the ones I sold so far. The owners have contacted Horizon to tell them of the problem. You should also if you own one and have had a failure.

Jim
Old 08-18-2012, 11:55 AM
Mack66

Well. I am back. If it hasn't been one thing, it's another. Flyright (really?) is right. We were on a trip. And then there were other things, like a failed AC waiting for us when we got home, family members (yes plural) in hospital, WORK. Etc.

But nevermind that. The Rat Club is alive and well. Finally got back out there to get in a few flights along with Joel, Greg, and Fred. My SDX continues to fly well and I continue to try to remember what I learned last time. Sean has completely passed me by. I mean...the biggest event I have to report is that I had a glow plug fail on me yesterday! And that is just fine with me.

Greg has defected to an Outrage Velocity 50 N2 Flybarless, and just received a second one that he is building as I type. He still remains our loyal Hirobo dealer, but he got tired of listening to Hirobo's excuses for not delivering a flybarless conversion kits and models. So far, he's pleased with the Outrage running a Skookum 720.

He did run into foaming issues and tracked the problem down to the hub being off-spec. Had an 8 thou runout on it, so did some shade-tree mechanicking to true it up a bit better. That helped reduce the vibrations, but still had foaming tank issues. Finally learned somewhere that the rubber tank mounts were too stiff, so remounted with isolation tape. Kind of Rube-Goldberg, but seems to work okay now.

JD, have you heard of any foaming issues with these?

Sean,

Glad to see you're settling in in le gai Paris. Better start learning to speak French!

Thumb!

Glad to see you're back. Hope all is well with you. Get crackin' on that plane and get out there and fly it. Please be sure to report back to us!

Enough for now, must go.

Mack
Old 08-18-2012, 03:02 PM
dooleyje

Mack, No I have not heard about that. With every nitro you have to dial in your clutch assembly to get the run out to zero if you can. They may have had a bad batch or he has a prop shaft thats running out on him from a crashed motor.

Jim
Old 08-18-2012, 07:13 PM
Mack66

Nah. Brand new engine. It was the hub. But also the mounts. It runs well now. He ordered a new hub, but won't replace this one until he breaks the heli. And as you know that would never happen.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:13 PM
dooleyje

Hey everyone, I have had some really good flying sessions lately. Low 80's Nothing much to report on the products. The new X Gaui helicopters really look sweet and JR has a new 550 size heli on it's way. I have been flying my nitro helis and I tell ya, the OS motors I have popped right off and I have not touched a needle. I have hung up my electric helis for a week or so but plan on taking them tomorrow so I am chrging batteries as we speak.

Sean hows it going over there?

Jim
Old 08-26-2012, 06:12 PM
one thumb

How do all,

Whilst riding a motorcycle across the US, for a month+ and 8,910 miles, I obviously dont know how to store the batteries for my little Blade because they are dead and will not take a charge. In the meanwhille I finally finished the Beaver plank that's been a forever build. Going to the field with an experienced member of the local club with the intention of a "Buddy Box" assisted flight, I was ready. Turns out my Tx was not compattible with his equipment, so I had him take it off and trim it with my Tx. It flew hands off the sticks straight as an arrow. He looped the bird a few times and it was very controllable. I asked him to see how it would land and thats when the fly in the ointment reared it's ugly head.
I had replaced the stock wheels with "Tundra" sized skins and needed longer axels. The screws I used bent like they were made out of a mixture of straw and butter and the Beaver was planted for the day.
When I checked the voltage of the battery, it had 14% left and my question is 10% left really safe?
It was nice to see it fly and I have axels ordered from McMaster-Carr and hope to be on the controls myself next time.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:54 AM
scasari

Its goin good Jim! I start school tommorow and it looks like I have a fun schedule! Been flying the 130x and I really like it so far! I went to a community park the other day to practice 3d in a bigger space and by the end of a flight, I had a crowd ooooing and awwwwing about a rc heli!

Glad to here your flying your nitros again!! Hope everyone is doing ok, Sean

Jim that x series does look nice!!

Dear santa.... http://www.gaui.com.tw/html/shopping_view.asp?sn=1174 Haha
Old 08-27-2012, 04:22 PM
dooleyje

Hey guys, another great morning of flying. I flew my Yak54 and only had time to fly my 500E for one battery. I flew a guys airplane and the left wheel locked causing the plane to go to the left and plowed the tall stuff. It broke. By the way, I always start a test fly of folks aircraft with a hearty " I am not resposible for any mishaps" Ask Matty!!

Another was a Gaui425 that rolled over on take off. I hit TH so no damage. Post flight showed a seperated link on the head. Another one was a Blade 400 clone/ Blade450 with Beastx flybarless system. Went into a hard left Piro. Luckely the Beastx kept it nice a straight. I hit Throttle hold and got it down in one piece. It had a tail slider link seperation on one blade.

I had my 600 and Vibe but did not get to fire them up. I ended up flying everybody elses stuff. I don't mind at all. I am always ready to help....... as long as it is understood that I fly on your dime

Sean, Yep that X5 has my eyes too but I already have a 600. The new Jr 550 is supose to be a super combo FBL.. About $1200 or so,,, I think. I think I am going to snag a 300x. I fly the store 130x so no need to spend the money on that. I really have a blast with it.

Thumb I store my batteries at about 50% and never like to burn tham down less than 15-20%.I use my transmitter time on everything but My nitros.
Mack wassup?

Matty?

Jim
Old 08-28-2012, 10:09 AM
scasari

Jeez Jim! Bad luck today? Seems like alot of mishaps! haha thats what happens when you fly planks!]\

Matty, Hows it goin?

-Sean
Old 08-31-2012, 12:08 PM
matty_p80

hey guys! yup! my turn to be absent from place of, hee hee!

glad to hear everyone is busy and good to hear from Karl!

i got out, finally, with my 600n at the local flight school/flying club and managed to squeeze myself in between the other guys, who all happened to have 700 size electric flybarless machines and a lot of mickey taking ensued, along the lines of "where did you find that dinosaur?", etc.! the other guys had Logos and Compass HV's and were whooping up the air doing some mega 'G' bank and yank turns and uppety downy stuff (to coin a friend of ours phrase)!!

i'm increasingly thinking i should have stuck with electric helis, even though i love the power, noise and smell of my nitro, as they are so much more convenient and, dare i say it, more socially acceptable these days!!

still trying to plan out my business idea of starting an aerial photography service, which is also making me think of getting a 700 size electric to mount a camera on!

unfortunately, it might mean i have to start trimming my herd out (ouch!) []

work is going good, fixing the R.A.F. Seaking Mk3 SAR helicopters, only likely to last until the end of November, so continually looking for other jobs!!

we've currently got the 2012 Paralympics going on at the moment and to say these people put a lot of able bodied persons to shame is such an understatement!! the advertising campaign between the Olympics and these, simply said "Thanks for the warm-up!" , which pretty much says it all!!

anyway peeps, i must go and read to my daughter, which is a chore i'm more than happy to take on!

hope everyone is in fine fettle and are experiencing better weather than we're getting (it was about -2 deg C on my ride into work this morning at 0430hrs!!)

and remember, if it hurts when you lift your arm above your head - don't do it!!

p,l,c+mh

Matty
Old 08-31-2012, 12:27 PM
scasari

NIce to here your flying again matty! If your looking for a nice 700 size heli, Heres something intresting.... http://helidirect.com/sab-goblin-700...en-p-24943.hdx

A friend at the club had one and really liked it!

Have fun! -Sean

P.S I think it may do well with a camera as its the lightest 700 size heli on the market!
Old 09-10-2012, 04:55 PM
dooleyje

Hey Hey hey!!! Man if they think your 600 is a dinosaur they would really like my Hirobo Evo. Yeah I know we used to fly them back during the turn of the century but.. The my Vibe is the only thing that fly's as good. Both will fly circles around my Trex600esp. You know, I have had some good flying lately and I am having a super time getting out of that darn store and get some sunshine. Wow yet another load of new helicopters from the JR550 to the tiny full 3d nano from blade. The new trex800 and the Trex new herd of pro DFC birds... It is hard to choice with all that is out there. All I can say is wait a little before you jump and something will change your eye. Wow 700's are the norm at my field.. 900's or 1100's not far away?

Later,

Jim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.