Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

LiPo rookie

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 05:39 PM
jackalope54
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LiPo rookie

Hi all - I'm new to LiPo batteries and have a concern. I'm using a 4S 3600 mah LiPo for my Hobbico glow engine starter. The battery is an inexpensive one from Hobby King. I noticed today the battery swelled at some point while at the field. I quit using it for the day and brought it home and charged it on my Onyx 235 at 1C. The battery seemed to charge without incident. When I first attached it to the charger, the balancer showed a range of 4.012 to 4.020 for the 4 cells. After charging (only required 785 ma), the cells ranged from 4.230 to 4.307.

I disconnected the battery for a few minutes, then went back to let it balance. I'm now getting a Battery Voltage Error shortly after starting the charger. No problem with other LiPo batteries and the battery in question is driving my starter as usual.

Question 1: Is the battery safe to use?

Question 2: What are the typical causes for a "Battery Voltage Error" in a battery that seems to be functioning well? Excessive voltage, loss of a cell or ???

Thanks
Jack
Old 08-19-2012, 12:06 AM
trax de max

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: LiPo rookie

I would check the cells with a volt meter, maybe a false reading from charger.
Old 08-19-2012, 02:43 AM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

Seems once cell (the one with after-charge voltage of 4.230v) is slower to take charge than the rest of the cells. Because of that, the charger chargers the rest of the cells more than it can balance at the end (to 4.307v), while just fills the slow-cell to the standard cut-off voltage for lipo.

In my experience, a slow-charging lipo cell always means the cell is near its life cycle.

The brand and how many cycles on the pack?

Usually the glow-engine starter requires 12v DC (3S lipo) to drive.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:32 AM
jackalope54

Trax de Max - per an analog multimeter, the pack voltage is over 16 V.

Nonstoprc - the battery is a Zippy that has been charged about 10 times. I got it October 2011 and I generally charge it once per month. The most I recall it taking was about 1950 ma and has never been below 3.6 V per cell. I know it's a cheap battery with questionable quality - did I just get a bad pack? As for pack size (4S vs 3S), I based that on the recommendations of some of the guys I fly with who have similar setups (4S packs from Hobby King). They use theirs to start .40-sized pylon engines - I use mine to start 4-stroke engines up to a YS 1.15S. I'm going to use this starter today - if I still get the same error from the charger, how do I safely dispose of this battery?

Thanks for your help!!

Jack
Old 08-19-2012, 04:50 AM
trax de max

seems strange the lowest value is higher than the max ammount on the charger, but the pack voltage is about right. I'm thinking it's a charger problem.
did you measure the individual cell voltage through balance plug.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:36 AM
KW_Counter

Jackalope,

I am using 2 x 2S1P 2200s in series in my Sullivan starter.
I think your battery choice is fine.

I quit worrying about swelling in my batteries; they all seem to do it.

It does seem that one of your cells is being drawn down more than the others.
The why I do not know. Keep an eye on the battery when in use.
If it is getting very warm then worry.

Are you using a plug in meter to check cell voltages or the charger?
Use a different device to check cell voltages.
Try to isolate the source of the problem; is it the battery or the meter?

Good Luck,
KW_Counter
Old 08-19-2012, 06:07 AM
jackalope54

Problem solved - sort of. Trax de Max - you were on the right track. It is charger related - I just took the back off the balance board that came with my Onyx 235 charger and found a burned/open connection between the 3S connector and the 4S connector. I'm assuming these balance boards can be purchased separately?

Thanks for your help!
Old 08-19-2012, 06:22 AM
jackalope54

Thanks KW Counter for the advice and reassurance. I'm going to modify a balance lead extension so I can check individual cell voltages with a multimeter - my probes are too big to insert into a balance plug and I don't think I want to risk shorting across any of those pins.

Jack
Old 08-19-2012, 06:33 AM
trax de max

ORIGINAL: jackalope54

Thanks KW Counter for the advice and reassurance. I'm going to modify a balance lead extension so I can check individual cell voltages with a multimeter - my probes are too big to insert into a balance plug and I don't think I want to risk shorting across any of those pins.

Jack
good idea, cut the other end off at different lengths so it won't short as easy by accident. Or pick up a battery voltage monitor for LiPO which i think is about $3 from ebay. Yes boards can be bought seperatly. I am unsure what the onyx uses for balance connector but the zippy is an jst-XH type.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:30 AM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

Trax de Max - per an analog multimeter, the pack voltage is over 16 V.

Nonstoprc - the battery is a Zippy that has been charged about 10 times. I got it October 2011 and I generally charge it once per month. The most I recall it taking was about 1950 ma and has never been below 3.6 V per cell. I know it's a cheap battery with questionable quality - did I just get a bad pack? As for pack size (4S vs 3S), I based that on the recommendations of some of the guys I fly with who have similar setups (4S packs from Hobby King). They use theirs to start .40-sized pylon engines - I use mine to start 4-stroke engines up to a YS 1.15S. I'm going to use this starter today - if I still get the same error from the charger, how do I safely dispose of this battery?

Thanks for your help!!

Jack
Jack,

Glad that you found the problem.

I am using cellpro 10s to charge my 10s 5000mah packs. It charges and balances at the same time. So when one cell is slower to take charge as shown on the charger display, it usually means it is almost dead. The charging stops when each cell reaches 4.2v.

For your 4s pack, I recommend you discharge it with your starter to bring max. voltage per cell back to 4.2v to save the pack. With the multimeter, you can tell if the charger is telling the truth about the sum of the voltage per cell.

Old 08-19-2012, 08:43 AM
jackalope54

I take it the charger should cut off when cell voltage reaches 4.2 V. I'm at the field now - will get a new balance board this week and recharge. The battery seems to be functioning properly ... so far. If I find the charger continues to overcharge this battery ONLY, I assume the battery should be disposed of. If necessary, how should the battery be disposed of?

Thanks,
Jack
Old 08-19-2012, 08:46 AM
Goldenduff

If you have a voltmeter check each cell using the balance terminals.

To dispose of lipo leave in salt water - open space etc- then bin it. However it could be informative to go to a safe place and short it- obviously this is dangerous so I take no responsibility but it would give you a feel for how to store your lipos to withstand the carnage you might witness!!

Old 08-19-2012, 08:59 AM
Goldenduff

Also the lead you propose to make to check voltages of each can also be used to revive a lipo. If one cell is under voltage sometimes the charger does not recognise it and won't charge it. Connect this cell to the charger and charge as nixx to 3.2v then balance charge as normal.

Obviously be extra vigillant if doing this!!!
Old 08-19-2012, 09:39 AM
trax de max

I've had a 2s in a bucket of salt water for about a week now i will have a look and check the voltage tommorow, but i discharged on charger first, cut off my connector, one wire at a time then dropped it in. The waters a bit brown but this is my first disposal so don't know what it's meant to look like.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:43 PM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi all - I'm new to LiPo batteries and have a concern. I'm using a 4S 3600 mah LiPo for my Hobbico glow engine starter. The battery is an inexpensive one from Hobby King. I noticed today the battery swelled at some point while at the field. I quit using it for the day and brought it home and charged it on my Onyx 235 at 1C. The battery seemed to charge without incident. When I first attached it to the charger, the balancer showed a range of 4.012 to 4.020 for the 4 cells. After charging (only required 785 ma), the cells ranged from 4.230 to 4.307.

I disconnected the battery for a few minutes, then went back to let it balance. I'm now getting a Battery Voltage Error shortly after starting the charger. No problem with other LiPo batteries and the battery in question is driving my starter as usual.

Question 1: Is the battery safe to use?

Question 2: What are the typical causes for a ''Battery Voltage Error'' in a battery that seems to be functioning well? Excessive voltage, loss of a cell or ???

Thanks
Jack
My suggestion is to quit while you are ahead. Don't take a chance burning your house down, go back to nitro or gas.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:32 PM
Goldenduff

How can you justify saying that? For all you know the op stores and charges lipos in a nuclear bunker!
Old 08-19-2012, 09:34 PM
Goldenduff

Oh and nitro and has are flammable- many house fires result from poor handling/storage of these
Old 08-20-2012, 03:58 AM
stoneenforcer
My Feedback: (23)

yes, you got a bad pac. be careful with it. zippy's are hit or miss when buying them. I had prob 50 zippy packs and about 8-10 of them arrive dead.

try hobbypartz.com genace are the best packs on the planet, tried, tested and proven with online test results. blue lipos are good and so are sky lipo.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:37 AM
richrd

I believe the problem started when you fully charged your pack a left it that way. Most packs swell if left at full charge.
I charge my starter LiPO at storage charge 3.8V to 3.9 volts max. for two years now an the 3 cell starts my OS 72 FS just fine.
Rich