Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Going to order Great Planes' Escapade this week.

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Going to order Great Planes' Escapade this week.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 10:32 PM
Thedrew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going to order Great Planes' Escapade this week.

I will be building the top flite f4u corsair kit this winter, but anxious to get back into the hobby I began my search for a nice arf I can get going in the next couple of weeks.

I had it narrowed down to the Easy sport 40, phoenix funstar and the escapade. I was considering the easy sport because I already have one that needs work, after seeing the price I realized I might as well buy a new one, then the funstar caught my eye. I think I'm settled on the Escapade though, ive read some good reviews. Also, it can handle my newly rebuilt Saito FA72, which was too big for the funstar.

Im so effing excited. And I just can't hide it. Suggestions/advise/input?
Old 08-14-2012, 04:55 AM
landeck
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Going to order Great Planes' Escapade this week.

You will love the Escapade 40! I have had one for four years and it is still going great.

Bruce
Old 08-14-2012, 05:57 AM
Mr67Stang

Congrats and welcome back!
Old 08-16-2012, 09:24 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One of the guys at the field just put his in hard, bent the crank, he forgot that when flying inverted down is up and up is expensiveThis was a replacement for his sig 4* 60 he put in because he didn't raise his antenna.But the escapade flies great inverted or not.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:37 PM
Thedrew

Thanks guys. And special thanks to you Bruce, I've been reading the 69 page thread that was started on the escapade when it came out, you helped hammer a lot of bugs out. How do you feel about my saito 72 going in it? I know it's a little over the recommended size. 

I also wanted to ask you guys about the radio I have going into it, this is my weak point as I don't know a lot about them  , especially the differences in servos. The radio setup I have is out of a family members garage and hasn't been used in years. Assuming it works still (I have to go but a charger tomorrow and see) I want to use it, otherwise I may not be able to afford to get in the air until next summer. It's a JR 5400EX Tx, 5 channels so I'm sure this will be fine. The Rx is a JR R600 (72MHZ) 6 channel. I have 4 JR NES-517 servos. I want to do the dual servo aleron control, which is no big deal because it's recommended that you use a high torque servo for the rudder I believe, so I'd like to find one that's compatible with what I have. 

So I guess my questions are, will these servos work well and do you have a recommendation for the 5th? Any input is appreciated, thanks in advance!
Old 08-16-2012, 08:10 PM
KaP2011
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go with new batterys and you'll be fine.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:01 PM
Thedrew

New batteries? Do they degrade over time?
Old 08-17-2012, 03:34 AM
landeck

Yes, they degrade over time. Get new batteries for both the flight pack and the transmitter and you should be good to go. The Saito 72 should work fine but you may have a problem with prop size. I assume a 13x6 is called for for the Saito but you may have to go with a 12x7 for ground clearence.

Bruce
Old 08-17-2012, 10:24 AM
markhamregular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've had one for 2 years. I have 2 suggestions. Do not install the flimsy tail wheel that comes with it. It's really frustrating. Get a good one.
Second, not matter what engine you have on it, it will come up tail heavy as per the manual, but it's not. I installed my battery over the fuel tank, and I added weight to the nose. Big mistake. It was nose heavy and anding hot. So I took off the weights one by one, until there were none. And it flies much better. Buying the optional cowl is also a good idea. I put a macs muffler on my 46AX and it's a joy to fly. She just loves to fly. Great choice!
Old 08-17-2012, 10:37 AM
Thedrew

I also have the tailwheel on order already. I've read up on a lot of the problems they have and plan on making a few modifications to it. Thanks for the advise, do you recommend I balance the CG at the recommended position, which I think is 2.5 in back from the leading edge at the fuselage sides, or farther forward?
Placed the order last night. It's going to arrive on Tuesday

Other mods I'm planning are

glueing tail assembly
Im not sure if they every fixed the problem with the elevator connecting rod so I'll wick some ca into it
Sealing control surface gaps (does this need to be done on both sides or just the top?)
mounting fuel tank upside down if necessary to align predrilled holes in firewall
Bracing and beefing up backet that holds main wing in place, along with any other weak spots
Some type of foam to seal gaps between wing and fuse
Possibly rubber wheels for the main gear (thoughts?)
I think I'm going to add a screw to the canopy through the bottom, this I won't be sure of until I can see what I'm working with.

Thats all I can remember for now. If I'm forgetting anything let me know!
Old 08-17-2012, 11:01 AM
markhamregular

I did not do any of these things. The tail assembly takes 2 minutes to install. I did not glue mine and it’s still doing great. About the CG, what engine are you planning to install? With my OS46AX, the only thing I did differently was installing the battery on top of the fuel tank. There’s not much space inside the Escapade anyway to make any major change. With that configuration, it looks tail heavy based on the manufacturer’s manual. You can read the long thread about the Escapade. It’s longer than the hope of a poor man. Everyone complains about the wrong suggested CG.

Expect the plane to land a little hot. The Escapade is not a trainer. When landing you will come hot and I only flair at the lasts seconds and in order to avoid bouncing I give a lot of elevator. Also, I have the Goldberg  tailwheel and it’s much higher than the one that comes with the plane. Upon landing sometimes the tail will start bouncing and bouncing but I have never had it nose down.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:16 AM
Thedrew

I did read the thread about it. Through 40/69 pages. This is where I got all these ideas. You haven't had to tighten the bolts holding the tail again since you assembled it? Everyone seemed to have problems with them pulling out. 

I'm going to put a Saito FA72 in it, with is max of the recommended size range, so I think I'll still do these things just to be safe. 

What is the correct CG?
Old 08-17-2012, 11:30 AM
markhamregular

I think one time I had to tighten the bold. Now you tell me, I will check mine again.
As for the CG, you can look at the manual in PDF format online. I do not have it with me.
Do you know if this engine will fit? I beleive it's the base size of a 60.
I only have 2 stroke glow, so I don't know anything about 4 strokes.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:38 AM
Thedrew

Recommendation for 4 strokes is .50-.70 spots it's definitely on the high side, but somewhere said they used the same engine and it worked fine. They didn't leave a whole lot of details but I'm optimistic. If not I have an old mds .40 I can throw on it.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:54 PM
Thedrew

ORIGINAL: markhamregular

Everyone complains about the wrong suggested CG.

Soooooooo look in the manual or the one in the manual is wrong...?

Old 08-17-2012, 02:43 PM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Not trying to sway your model selection. But, have you also considered the GP " Revolvers " ?
You might want to look at them, before your place your order.
I have the larger Revolver, with a Saito 91. Real nice flyer. Or, you can go electric.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:46 PM
Thedrew

Never heard of it. Also, I know nothing about the electric motors. Plus I placed my order last night and pick her up Tuesday. Won't be my last plane though, I'll check it out. Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 08-17-2012, 02:48 PM
Thedrew

It looks nice, I don't like the foam wing core though or twice the price tag! Haha
Old 08-17-2012, 03:03 PM
Thedrew

Escapade with a saito .82 and a 13X7 prop. 

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gP5YjuRfat4&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/youtube]
Old 08-18-2012, 04:14 AM
landeck

I have the Escapade 40 with a Magnum XLS 46, the Escapade 61 with a Fox 74 Eagle IV, and the Revolver 70 with an OS 95V four stroke. I like the Escapade 40 and Revolver 70 the best with the Escapade 61 a little less. The Escpade 40 is quick and nimble while the Revolver is smooth and fast. The biggest difference is that the Escapade 40 and engine cost $150 while the Revolver and engine cost $500.

Bruce
Old 08-18-2012, 06:38 AM
crash1ace

I have the Escapade 60 with a Thunder Tiger Pro61 in it. Love it. Flys great, plenty speed and power for me. Down lines are nice, does land a little heavy but no problem
really. Ive had the 40 version as well ( had three of them actually) and def like this one the most.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:42 PM
rmsingh

I have the Escapade 61 with O.S.FS91 Surpass. Fantastic combo. With the battery on top of the tank, she balances out perfectly.
Old 08-19-2012, 02:11 PM
bhady

My current Escapade has an OS .70 Surpass in it and it balanced and flys great, though it is not quite as fast as when I had a Super Tiger 45 in it. You'll love this plane!
bhady
Old 08-19-2012, 07:21 PM
Thedrew

ORIGINAL: bhady

My current Escapade has an OS .70 Surpass in it and it balanced and flys great, though it is not quite as fast as when I had a Super Tiger 45 in it. You'll love this plane!
bhady
Do you have to .50 or .61 size? I can't wait to pick mine up! Been practicing on real fight G4.5, I'm ready to go again!!

Old 08-21-2012, 03:51 PM
Thedrew

Picked it up today. I read in another thread about the "professional covering job" on these models, well they must have fired the professionals! Haha. Also I may have to chop off the elevator and remount it. The gap gets rather large near the middle so the elevator connecting rod prevents the vertical stabilizer to sit all the way down like its supposed to. Oh well, excited to get started.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.