Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

aging receiver failures....

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

aging receiver failures....

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 04:56 AM
Fastsky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aging receiver failures....

Hi I have had a 3 receivers stop working this year they are all the Hitec Supreme auto shift type. 2 0f them simply wouldn't link up to talk to the transmitter when powered up. The 3d one quit on my in the middle of a flight causing a total loss crash. These range from a couple years old to maybe 8 years old. Now I am afraid to risk any more of my planes with these receivers in them. Any one else run across this problem??? Should I be looking to replace all my receivers?? I am very nervous about this right now....[X(]
Old 08-21-2012, 05:15 AM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: aging receiver failures....

Back when I was runing 72mHz, Iused this RX more than any other and never had one wear out. Is there anything in your operating environment (such as unusual vibration, excessive voltage, crashes, etc) that could be causing failures?

Hope you find an answer, as I think these are good equipment (untill they're not, right?).

Old 08-21-2012, 05:19 AM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would suggest you post your question in the radio forum, I think you will get a quicker and better ansure. But for my part how do you know it was the reciver are they 2.4's or cristal type, make a bit differance on the ansures.

Cheers Bob T
Old 08-21-2012, 05:21 AM
mike109

G'day

I have use Hitec gear for ages and have only had one failure and that was after a crash. It was a very old (about 20 years) Challenger receiver.

I have had three JR receivers fail but again, each time it was after a crash. The most recent one seemed to be fine but failed about 3 minutes into the test flight of a repaired model.

I have had no Hited or Spektrum 2.4 gig receivers fail though a friend gave me a Spektrum Rx which does not work on its Throttle channel. Everything else works. I don't use it.

Mike in Oz
Old 08-21-2012, 02:17 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I would be more inclined to look at your Tx. What brand and model are you using?

John
Old 08-21-2012, 04:51 PM
jetmech05

Since you said auto shift I am assuming you're using 72 mHz system. The weak link in a 72 receiver is the chrystal. they can and do break inside.
What voltage are you running?
Old 08-22-2012, 06:10 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Properly mounted and maintained there is no real limit on how long a receiver can be reliably used. Isolation from vibration and any corrosion and no over voltage and they should last indefinitely.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:48 AM
Fastsky

I am using 4 cell NIMH 2000 mah batteries so over voltage is not the problem. I also use these in my other planes with no issues. I did test the battery pack after the crash and it tested like new.
I am running a Futaba 9Cap TX. with 2000 MAH batterys which I also use for teaching my buddy on his 2 trainers. No problem there either which is why I am pretty confident that the Tx. is not the issue. Looks like I am going to buy some new receivers and do a careful range check on the remaining receivers before any flight.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:20 AM
JohnBuckner

I beleve the 9C is selectable modulation type for PCM as well as FM. If this is correct then you need to check that the wrong modulation type has not been inadvertantly selected. I am talking modulation type not modulation shift.

Check that the tx antenna is securly screwed down or if the type with the nutted stud on the bottom that the nut has not loosened.

The 9C is getting elderly and is normal to always rationalise the TX is never at fault but the cheaper and easier (especially now) Rx's are. Tx's really do wear out. Plastic cases dry up and easily crack for no reason, gimbles definately wear out and pots get dirty or corrode causing all manner of problems.

Before you start buying Rx's it would prevent a lot of frustration if you woud simply
try another RX only this time use a Futaba. Borrow one if you need. It would only take a few calls to me club mates and I would have one in hand for a test in short order.

I am sorry I certainly know its not what you want to hear but three Rx's all failing to function in short order its time to look at your Tx.

Perhaps its time to look at 2.4 there are many marvelous deals going all the time.

John
Old 08-22-2012, 10:32 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
Why not send the recievers in and have them tuned!?
Old 08-22-2012, 08:08 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: JohnBuckner

//SNIP//.

I am sorry I certainly know its not what you want to hear but three Rx's all failing to function in short order its time to look at your Tx.

Perhaps its time to look at 2.4 there are many marvelous deals going all the time.

John
All those Hitec receivers are fine if treated near decently. I have a number of them, all kinds. No problems. I still fly a lot of 72MHZ. Just have to remember to check the channel board, pull the card, pull out the antenna, and fly, then leave the card back in the channel board!

FROM the minutes of the July 20 AMA EC Meeting minutes: Tony Stillman Report::
>>>>>
He reported that 6 planes flying on 2.4 were recently brought down in one weekend as a result of seismic testing (on 2.4) down the road from a flying site; it should be understood that the state or county can use 2.4 for scientific or education use. He just wanted to bring this to Council’s attention.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:58 AM
JohnBuckner

Good morning Hoss good to hear from you I hope your return to controlline is doing well.

On the matter of Fastsky's problem I think even you would quite agree that with one in flight failure and failure of two others on the ground and the disclaimer by him that the power supply is not in doubt and all in a short period of time, that its time to perhaps look at the transmitter.

On the matter of the quality of the Supreme Rx's absolutely in fact It in my opinion is the most bomb proof of the 72 mhz rx's ever (gentlemen opinion here) and its little brother the triple five is a close second.

Now to the matter of the gentle nudge I suggested to Fastsky. No no radio link is perfect however

2.4 miracle actually saved our beloved field of many years several years ago when renagade
flyers setup camp .7ths of a mile away accross open desert and direct line of sight with no disregard to frequency control at all. They were being lead by someone who had started open warfare at a club down on the river about sixty miles away and now he had come here.

We had many losses and to prevent open warfare when all attempts at the nice/nice approach had failed we decided to all collectively change over and indeed 2.4 turned out to be the "Saviour" of our wonderful field.

It could happen any where and what a wonderfull feeling saying good riddance to the frequency board Hm, so "HA!" to ya'll too

Oh, oh I still like the basics of what I used several years ago also since I went to major effort and expense to convert one of my old Orbit tranny to 2.4 and doing it with Hitecs system, now that is a miracle.

Just one last note I now have discarded my bill young over the wire system for throttle on controlline and am converting two of my controlline ships to 2.4 for throttle.

Thanks for the info on the seismic testing Hoss that I was not aware of

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15122.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	1794605