Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Review of the Traxxas Slash 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 03:26 PM
geo950

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Review of the Traxxas Slash 4x4

UPDATE:
So it's been about a week now, and I have run six times, about 18 batteries. My opinion has changed a bit. The durability of the Slash is a bit disappointing. I ride it hard, but not unreasonably, in my opinion. So far, I've broken something on every run. I broke a shock cap, then an a arm, then another shock cap, then the body, and today I broke the spur gear. I replaced the shock caps with aluminum caps, I replaced the arm with an rpm arm and I replaced the body with a much thicker one; no problems with those parts since the upgrades. So as for durability, I give it a 4/10.However, the main reason I bought it was because it is waterproof. And in that regard, I'm impressed. I've run through a number of puddles and ended up with pools of water throughout the entire chassis. I haven't had any problems at all in regards to water. I'm really pleased with that and think it makes the value of the car. Overall, I'm sort of torn on it. I still like it, but I definitly don't think it's as spectacular as I did when I first got it.

Hey everyone,

You guys always help me out a ton with all my problems, and since I don't have much experience, I can't answer other peoples questions too often. So in an attempt to contribute a bit to the forum, I figured I'd review my new Traxxas Slash 4x4. They're may be other reviews of it on here, but different insight never hurts.I know people give Traxxas a lot of heck for not being the most durable company, and being a bit pricy. Though I won't call them the MOST durable or BEST value, I still like them. I previously owned a Traxxas Rustler, and it lasted 2 years without issue, before being stolen.

Features:
The Slash costs $425, which I believe is a pretty reasonable price, considering it's features.The Slash is a 1/10 scale 4x4 SC truck. It's electronics are completely waterproof, a big selling point for me since my Losi XXXT recently drowned in a puddle. It has a Velineon 3500 motor and Velineon ESC. The ESC comes with Low Voltage Cutoff shut off, for NiMh's, but can easily be turned on for liPos.It comes with a NiMh battery and wall charger. I didn't even bother trying the battery (since it takes up to 8 hours to charge) because the guys at my LHS told me it gives about 1/3 the speed of a 2S LiPo. The battery holder is big enough for a 2s lipo, and can be upgraded (with a $6 part) to take 3s. The ESC has Traxxas connectors (also called high current connectors?) which is a bit of trouble if you have Deans Connectors on your LiPo like I do. This can be fixed with a $5 convertor sold at most LHSs. The tires are really nice, scale, goodrich tires. One feature I really like is multiple holes for the shocks to screw into along the A arm, making rasing and lowering the vehicle extremely simple and fast. The transmitter is the TQi 2.4ghz transmitter. It takes 4 AA's, has the basics, nothing special. It is compatible with an interesting feature Traxxas has called Traxxas Link. Traxxas Link is an app for iPhones that hooks up to your transmitter and lets you adjust profiles for the transmitter, as well as lets you see in real time your MPH, RPM, and more. I don't have an iPhone so I can't give any opnions about the app. Also in the box, besides manuals, are a few spare parts including some spring preloaders, a foam insert to shrink the battery compartment, and a different pinion for higher speed gearing.

First Impression:
When I took it out of the box, I gave it the once over to check for loose screws, etc. I found nothing out of place or loose. It is a really clean system and I expect it to be simple to repair. The springs come preloaded with medium size preloaders in the rear and large preloaders up front. I had to change the insert to get my LiPos in, and that was about all for set up. I noticed the Low Voltage Cutoff comes disabled, so I enabled it (pressing the power button for ten seconds) to run my LiPo's.The way it comes, the body rides pretty low. I noticed right away that it wouldn't take much to bring the wheel wells down on the wheels. I believe this can be fixed with the shock holes I mentioned, but I decided to try it before I switched it.

First Run:
I took the Slash out to a local dirt track. I hooked up the LiPo and set her down. I started driving around at about half throttle to get used to it. I was extremely impressed how fast half throttle actually is. I don't have a GPS so I can't give you exact speed. As for turning, you have to keep the throttle a bit low to not spin out on very sharp turns, but that was probably made worse by the very loose composition of my track. It is definitly managable. You'll also lose traction if you accelerate too quickly, a normal issue. I started with some smaller jumps to see how it runs. I noticed right away that it definitly tips nose down in air. I landed on the front quite a few times early on, flipping end over end. The Slash has excellent front and rear bumpers, they took the force just fine. I learned how to control the front dip. If you accelerate on the way up the ramp, even just slightly, all the way to the top you won't dip nose down as much and won't flip. I rolled plenty of times, took some rough landings and flew through a few puddles. It took everything in stride. I went over to a dirt road as well and ran it full speed for about 200 yards. Again, I can't give a top speed but it was extremely impressive. Not to mention, I'm running 2s when it can handle 3s. I ran for over 25 minutes, at or around 3/4 throttle for the most part. It wasn't even dead when I finished, so run time was extremely surprising. I was really impressed with the whole run. I had speed, jumps, crashes, moisture and was landed on by a nitro monster truck, and came away without a single problem. The body had a few scrapes, but no cracks or serious damage.

Overall:
This truck is middle range price, but I can't imagine wanting too much more in a truck. I obviously can't evaluate the long term durability, but for what I put it through it took it like a champ. It handles as well as anyone can ask for, and is loaded with awesome features. It's speed was awesome, especially since it was on 2s instead of 3. Run time was more than satisfactory. Overall, I absolutely love the Slash. I think it is a great value and expect great things from it. I'll update this as soon as I have more run time on it.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:52 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Review of the Traxxas Slash 4x4

Minor correction its a 1/10th scale truck not 1/8th
Outside being "waterproof" what other features are there to justify the cost?
Cause the rest I seen listed I see on virutally every other RC for less.

I really don't want to rag on ya, but I'm really curious.

Side note I've owned one and found it to be nothing great as a SCT. I'll be honest my opinion on it is pretty much almost a polar opposite.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:13 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they are great for fun, but they don't belong on a track.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:22 PM
geo950

Thanks for your correction on the 1/8 - 1/10 thing, I don't know why I wrote that. As for the features, I listed the ones I find useful. It's just my opinion, take it for what it is.The Shark, I agree about it not being the best one for racing, but I believe it still stands a chance.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:06 PM
tabrown

I own one that I have setup purely for bashing, I have only raced once and I ended up hating the experience due to the fact that a majority got into an argument over this guy pit maneuvering them. So I jacked the suspension up and am trying to turn it into more of a baja 500 looking deal. I have put mine through all holy heck and I will say this, my velinion system crapped out TWICE. First time apparently debris got stuck in the switch and broke the waterproof seal, so when I ran it in the mud it short out and it wouldn't turn off and always went into programming. Same EXACT thing happened the second time but I had never gotten that one wet. I ended up getting the Venom ESC and motor combo that is supposedly "waterproof". I haven't gotten it wet yet but we will find out, so far I like it
Old 08-15-2012, 07:20 PM
geo950

I imagine it looks pretty sick jacked up. I think I'm going to raise mine a bit, the wheel wells are just too low, IMO. Sucks to hear about your ESC's. Hopefully I won't suffer the same fait
Old 08-15-2012, 07:25 PM
tabrown

ORIGINAL: geo950

I imagine it looks pretty sick jacked up. I think I'm going to raise mine a bit, the wheel wells are just too low, IMO. Sucks to hear about your ESC's. Hopefully I won't suffer the same fait
The only reason I didn't get the third is I was three days past my one month warrenty on the second ESC I will take a few pictures of her tomorrow with my WIP body on it looks pretty sick, I have not once gotten her stuck so I need some thicker mud!

Old 08-15-2012, 08:11 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: tabrown

The only reason I didn't get the third is I was three days past my one month warrenty on the second ESC I will take a few pictures of her tomorrow with my WIP body on it looks pretty sick, I have not once gotten her stuck so I need some thicker mud!

wow, and they didn't warranty that? that's horrible!
Old 08-15-2012, 09:57 PM
geo950

yeah, put some pictures up. I'd love to see it, maybe motivate me to raise mine

Old 08-16-2012, 08:48 AM
tabrown

ORIGINAL: The_Shark

ORIGINAL: tabrown

wow, and they didn't warranty that? that's horrible!
I was furious at the time! I called the local hobby shop and he said he can try to send it in or, he can take it and give me store credit for a new one (got the venom). I am going to wait for the rain to quit to take pictures!

Old 08-16-2012, 09:35 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

the traxxas ESC isn't that great, and honestly its a tad small in that truck IMO
Old 08-16-2012, 10:25 AM
FahrtAutoRC

In all honesty, for what I got my Slash for, and put into it, if I'd known I would have gone straight to 1/8 buggy or truggy, and waited for the AE SC10 4X4 to come out, but, of course, I couldn't predict the market or see today from back then. My advice, unless you want a decent do-everything-only-ok basher, I would avoid the truck.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:08 AM
tabrown

ORIGINAL: FahrtAutoRC

In all honesty, for what I got my Slash for, and put into it, if I'd known I would have gone straight to 1/8 buggy or truggy, and waited for the AE SC10 4X4 to come out, but, of course, I couldn't predict the market or see today from back then. My advice, unless you want a decent do-everything-only-ok basher, I would avoid the truck.
Honestly, bashing is it's specialty. If you want it for racing don't buy it, but bashing thats another story! This and my two wheel drives are the only cars that can hold up to my bashing, I tried most of the top name short course trucks, They were great for racing on my buddies backyard track! They could never handle a bashing like the slash 4x4 and the 2wds.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:33 PM
geo950

It's a great basher, but I have seen it upgraded for racing and its very impressive
Old 08-16-2012, 12:39 PM
tabrown

I'm sure it is! Racing just was never my thing, we bash the living heck out of these vehicles, if it can survive at-least a week without breaking a part it's a great basher.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:53 AM
thehuntingterminator

Nice writeup. My personal opinion is that the Slash 4x4 is a pretty decent truck, but overpriced for what you get. You can get something nicer and higher quality for around that same $400 mark.

Roller: http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...FcpdTAodQnUAjA

ESC/motor: https://www.ckrccrawlers.com/castle-...tml#googlebase

Servo: http://www.valuehobby.com/radio-syst...hd-1501mg.html

And still $60 under what the Slash cost and this thing will race nicely. Might push the ESC a little, but no big deal I wouldn't think.
Old 08-19-2012, 02:55 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: thehuntingterminator

Nice writeup. My personal opinion is that the Slash 4x4 is a pretty decent truck, but overpriced for what you get. You can get something nicer and higher quality for around that same $400 mark.

Roller: http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...FcpdTAodQnUAjA

ESC/motor: https://www.ckrccrawlers.com/castle-...tml#googlebase

Servo: http://www.valuehobby.com/radio-syst...hd-1501mg.html

And still $60 under what the Slash cost and this thing will race nicely. Might push the ESC a little, but no big deal I wouldn't think.
if that setup pushes that ESC CC isn't worth anything at all...
I have a 60A HW in a similar setup(1/8th scale buggy rims, and a buggy wing/body instead of a SC one so its about the same weight, and gearing wise) and it barely breaks 140 on 2S
Now in the slash 4X4 the system got to the thermal point pretty fast but in the ofna the HW setup works fine.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:29 AM
DaBasher

Nice review. The slash 4x4 is a very fun truck. I just use mine for bashing crawling and climbing. I've got mine sitting as high as it will go and replaced the stock tires with Proline 2.8 Trenchers on desprado wheels. The taller tire gives more ground clearance and the extra width makes the slash more stable. I've got a e maxx body on it and Proline adjustable shocks. I'm using a 2s 8000mah lipo and can get about 45-60 minutes run time but have to stop and let cool down every 10-15 minutes. The slash will take a beating. The main problem I've had is with the stock half shafts breaking but once i figured out what was breaking them I adjusted my driving habits and don't have near the problem with them.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pm35120.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	1794556   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27051.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	1794557  
Old 08-23-2012, 03:34 PM
geo950

That's an awesome set up, nice job. Love the look of it
Old 08-23-2012, 04:50 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: DaBasher

Nice review. The slash 4x4 is a very fun truck. I just use mine for bashing crawling and climbing. I've got mine sitting as high as it will go and replaced the stock tires with Proline 2.8 Trenchers on desprado wheels. The taller tire gives more ground clearance and the extra width makes the slash more stable. I've got a e maxx body on it and Proline adjustable shocks. I'm using a 2s 8000mah lipo and can get about 45-60 minutes run time but have to stop and let cool down every 10-15 minutes. The slash will take a beating. The main problem I've had is with the stock half shafts breaking but once i figured out what was breaking them I adjusted my driving habits and don't have near the problem with them.
might want to get the pede 4X4 bumper for the front would look better with that body IMO
Old 08-23-2012, 08:10 PM
DaBasher

I have though about a pede bumper. I agree it would look better though I'm not really sure it would give me as much protection as the slash bumper. It really don't look as bad as it does in those pictures because it's sitting in a rut and the suspension is extended.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:13 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: DaBasher

I have though about a pede bumper. I agree it would look better though I'm not really sure it would give me as much protection as the slash bumper. It really don't look as bad as it does in those pictures because it's sitting in a rut and the suspension is extended.
should be about the same just a half an inch on each side smaller, and would probably end up pretty close to the body. Seeing the tires are sticking so far out already not like its protecting those like it would with the SC rims