Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Who has pictures of the Viper?

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Who has pictures of the Viper?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 05:40 PM
jaymen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Who has pictures of the Viper?

Hello all.
I came across a very early Bonner prototype proportional servo with " Orbit mod" hand written on it in pencil and a sticker over that which said: Viper Aileron.

This servo was in my Orbit collection from Bob and Dick Dunhams own lab at Orbit. I have seen similar ones with the very early EL Logictrols made in California, but they differed in that the cases were Transmites that had the silkscreening removed. The old printing was still visible however as the ink was of the etching type and it left a ghost image on the grey case.

This servo has a cutout on the right case end to allow access to a centering pot, it is in a Transmite case that was never silkscreened, and it has three circuit boards inside: One board is on the case cover and has a curved wire wound resistor on the switching contacts that are slightly different than the one on a Transmite. The main amplifier board is of the same general shape as a Transmite but has more cicuitry, including the afore mentioned pot, and an audio transformer, the circuit side is etched " Bonner", and it is a beige colored laminate. Above the motor is another tiny board over the top of the main amplifeir with some diodes, caps and resistors as presumably there was no room for these additional components on the very crowded main board.

This is an analog type servo as it used the transformer to convert the pulse into a voltage to drive the servo from an 8.4 volt , 4 wire, 7 cell pack.

It is well known that Bonner supplied many of the early proportional manufacturers with prototype analog proportional servos made to their specifications, and this one was needed in place of the large and bulky Orbit PS-1 ( Space Control Aileron Servo) for low profile mounting in a wing.

I would love to get a picture of the Viper if anyone has one, and also, any information on who flew them. We suspect Dick Riggs and/or Bob Dunham had one, but cannot confirm that, but since this servo was made especially for Orbit, someone there had a Viper.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:09 AM
Michaelj2k

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Who has pictures of the Viper?

Jay,
I assume that you are referring to the GlasKraft Viper designed by Mack Beauchamp around 1964 - 1965 or so. Here is an ad from RCM.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84164.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	1791564   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36961.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	1791565   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb90322.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	1791566  
Old 08-14-2012, 02:17 PM
jaymen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, that is the Viper I was looking for. It appeared on the back page of the Orbit solid state multi reed owners manual.

Thanks!
Old 08-15-2012, 07:36 AM
Michaelj2k

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It is also pictured in an RCM report on a visit to Orbit. I've always wondered what happened to the molds for this plane.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:53 PM
pgilbert
My Feedback: (38)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found another on an old cover of Flying Models.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj24197.jpeg
Views:	16
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	1794739