Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

I.S.C. Pitts Challenger 64"

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

I.S.C. Pitts Challenger 64"

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 04:54 PM
DLVS2FLY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I.S.C. Pitts Challenger 64"

I have a 64" Pitts Challenger, ready to fly. the only thing to do is set the C/G,
I don't have any paper work on the Pitts, and hope someone out there might know
where it should go.....Thank you
Old 10-17-2010, 06:56 PM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: I.S.C. Pitts Challenger 64

Use this website.
http://www.geistware.com/rcmodeling/cg_calc.htm#mac

Find the balance point for each wing at the 30% point and put the CG for the model between the two. It will be safe enough for the first flights and then you can adjust it from there. Dan.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:48 AM
DLVS2FLY

Thanks Dan,
I'm going to try and get it balanced for this weekend and and hope its not raining
to hard, its going to be exciting to see it fly. thank you again.........Dave
Old 01-07-2011, 05:32 PM
JustGoFly.com

Hey Guys - thought you might like a video of my Pitts Challenger maiden.

She flew great ! BUT one warning on CG.
Although I detected no serious pitch or jumpiness during flight, the plane was tail heavy. I should have taken heed when it climbed inverted. Second flight I pushed it really aggressively. Low loops, knife edge, climbs and dives with low pull outs and it flew perfectly. Then I went into a flat spin. They guys at the field commented how perfect it was - but it took longer than normal to pull out since tail heavy is tough to pull out, plus I didn't give myself enough altitude. I almost made it - but buried it in the dirt. I am rebuilding. Here is the very first flight:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFNaN-1UyAQ[/youtube]

Enjoy,
Vinnie
Old 08-13-2012, 04:44 PM
jroteff
My Feedback: (108)

Hello, I have the same model in the Bulldog scheme and just put a G-62 on it and can not locate any information on CG. I placed the 2700 mah battery about mid fuse and last weekend tried to take her up but nosed over on take off and broke the APC 22x10 prop. Would you happen to know the correct CG location? Where did you have your battery located? I noticed you thought yours is tail heavy. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35244.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	1791756  
Old 08-14-2012, 06:05 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Hey that looks real nice,, I have one NIB,, Where did you have those graphics made?

Sorry no manual here but I've been told the PAU is the same kit essentially, very close to the same specs at least, you can download their manual here http://www.flypau.com/html/manuals.html CG info on page 21

good luck
Old 08-24-2012, 08:02 PM
JustGoFly.com

Sorry for delay in responding. Mine was bought fully built. CG is as stated above - 1/3 back from each wing, then half that distance. I honestly did not CG it since the heavy motor SHOULD have made it nose heavy. I had 3200 mah 2S LiPo in the tail, which is something I would suggest moving forward. Mine had two tanks - one for fuel, the other for smoke but I flew it without any smoke fluid in the tank which may have contributed to tail heavy. Also I flew without the cowl which removed some nose weight. The G62 was enough power to hover the heavy plane, but not pull out of the hover. It flew well tail heavy and landed easily. Don't baby it - it likes speed to keep in the air and take off was, as you could see, at a fairly high speed and wobbled a bit getting off the ground. I had Bennet Built B&B fuel tanks which are excellent and very high quality.
Enjoy,
Vinnie
Old 08-26-2012, 05:50 AM
jroteff

I bought this already built and so I am not sure about the decals. Sorry about that and thanks for the web site info on the PAU version.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:01 AM
jroteff

Thanks for the reply. I moved the battery to just about the rear mounting point of the lower wing and we took it up for the first time yesterday. It nosed over again on our first attempt but we got it up on the second try. Trim was way off and almost lost the plane but managed to straighten it up in time. It flew good after that with the exception that the new G-62 was way to rich and low on power. I am having problems getting the carb adjusted. The low needle needs to be way richer than suggested to keep it from leaning out and dying. I used one of those adapter intake manifolds to allow easier throttle rod installation and that may be causing an air leak or something although I have replaced the gaskets and even put a kit in the new carb. It ran out of fuel and came down like a bullet and I thought for sure we were not going to have enough runway but it slowed down enough just before touch down to make it. We clipped the edge of a rice field on landing and the rice poked some holes in the lower wing covering so now I have to try and match the yellow to patch it up.