Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Multi gear transmisson?

Old 08-25-2012, 06:45 PM
jbnn85

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Multi gear transmisson?

Can you put a multi gear transmission in a Volcano S30 nitro rc form redcat?
Old 08-26-2012, 06:49 AM
Dads like rc too

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Multi gear transmisson?

ORIGINAL: jbnn85

Can you put a multi gear transmission in a Volcano S30 nitro rc form redcat?
I put the volcano transmission in my Tornado so the Tornados two speed transmission will bolt in, however you will have to modify some things. You'll likely change the clutch bell to a smaller gear. The brake linkage will have to be modified and probably a few other small things. If your mechanically inclined and like to tinker, it will be a simple mod. If your capability is really just replacing stock components, it may be difficult.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:46 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

IMO, the volcano is to heavy for the 2peed trans to work.
With the added weight, and wider tires it will put more strain on the trans. And the 2speed trans is more prone to breakage than the single speed (naturally, more parts, more to go wrong)

If you want more power...or faster acceleration, then you can gear down the motor with a smaller pinion or larger spur.

Or, you can upgrade the motor to a larger one.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:15 AM
jbnn85

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank you for the info. i am tring to do some research on these rc trucks before i buy one. i have a str lightning from redcat racing. i just totally love it. i really want to get a truck that i can take off road. i am still new to the rc hobby. i still have lots to learn.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:30 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: jbnn85

thank you for the info. i am tring to do some research on these rc trucks before i buy one. i have a str lightning from redcat racing. i just totally love it. i really want to get a truck that i can take off road. i am still new to the rc hobby. i still have lots to learn.
the volcano will be the best of the 1/10's for offroad(bigger tires and such)
A 2 speed sounds cool, but generally a single speed geared well will work better for offroading.

More than a few tornado s30 owners have swapped out the 2speed trans for the single speed trans that comes in the shockwave. Especially if they are upgrading the motor to a larger one.

The caldera 3.0 is also worth considering. its a big bigger than the caldera.
Old 08-26-2012, 12:47 PM
Dads like rc too

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

IMO, the volcano is to heavy for the 2peed trans to work.
With the added weight, and wider tires it will put more strain on the trans. And the 2speed trans is more prone to breakage than the single speed (naturally, more parts, more to go wrong)

If you want more power...or faster acceleration, then you can gear down the motor with a smaller pinion or larger spur.

Or, you can upgrade the motor to a larger one.
i agree that swapping the two speed is a waste of time. It's the reason I swapped a single speed into my Tornado when I fitted it with bigger tires. Actually the Tornado ran much better when I tightened the shifting clutch so it didn't shift. With the stock tires I would much rather run the Tornado as a single speed instead of a two speed. As far as it being too heavy though, the Nitro Caldera runs a two speed so I don't think the weight will be an issue.