Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

tornado rpx tires and axles

Old 08-27-2012, 07:12 AM
davidgp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tornado rpx tires and axles

I want to fit much larger tires on my Tornado EPX. The motor has already been updraded and I'll adjust the gear ratio as necessay. What is the hex size and offset for the Tornado? Can you suggest a monster truck tire that fits.

Oh yes, what about upgrades for things like axles. Are they available?

Thanks,
David
Old 08-27-2012, 02:47 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: tornado rpx tires and axles

ORIGINAL: davidgp

I want to fit much larger tires on my Tornado EPX. The motor has already been updraded and I'll adjust the gear ratio as necessay. What is the hex size and offset for the Tornado? Can you suggest a monster truck tire that fits.

Oh yes, what about upgrades for things like axles. Are they available?

Thanks,
David
redcat has CVD driveshafts for upgrades. I prefer to use bits of nitro fuel tubing inside the drive cups to lessen the play of the dogbones. This makes them last alot longer.

On to tires.
Tricky part is the right rim. The offset needs to be such that the hex of the rim is to the inside (towards the chassis) so that it doesnt rub against the hub or a-arm.
I used traxxas rustler REAR tires. Now, I had to mod the tires on the front. These traxxas rims have a good offset, but have plastic "fins" on the inside of the rim. For them to work on the front, I had to cut away these fins.

I used Proline dirt hawg 2.2 tires on them.

Add on a heat sink to the motor, and it will compensate for the larger tires. tires larger than the ones I put on MAY rub the body when you turn.

See my thread "Cat 5 tornado"
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35754.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	1795856   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62918.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	1795857  
Old 08-27-2012, 03:53 PM
Dads like rc too

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put Proline 2.8 Desperado's and Dirt Hawgs on my former Tornado S30
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us55338.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	1795877  
Old 08-27-2012, 04:50 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dads like rc too

those look sick!

2.8 rims probly work better...my rim is close to the A-arm when I turn the wheel. A 2.8 rim shouldnt do that.

Hey Dads', whats the total diameter of your wheel/tire combo?

I like the look. I went with the dirt hawgs cause I new my tornado would be on pavement mostly and I needed a tire that wouldnt wear quicly. The dirt hawgs work well on pavement, but still have enough deep tread for offroading when I feel like it.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:47 PM
Dads like rc too

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: Dads like rc too

those look sick!

2.8 rims probly work better...my rim is close to the A-arm when I turn the wheel. A 2.8 rim shouldnt do that.

Hey Dads', whats the total diameter of your wheel/tire combo?

I like the look. I went with the dirt hawgs cause I new my tornado would be on pavement mostly and I needed a tire that wouldnt wear quicly. The dirt hawgs work well on pavement, but still have enough deep tread for offroading when I feel like it.
The 2.8 rims worked perfect. Sorry but that project has been sold so I can't measure but I will tell you the 2.8 dirt hawgs were buggy tires so for others reading this that means the sidewall was shorter. So if you took a 2.2 dirt hawg from a monster truck and put it next to the 2.8 buggy tire, the diameter was nearly identical. And also, yes the bigger tires are exactly what the Tornado needed to make it a real backyard basher. The added ground clearance and tire size just made it a much more versatile buggy. Of course for those interested in doing this a gearing change will be mandatory.