Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

TBM 93" Zero ARF Build

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

TBM 93" Zero ARF Build

Old 08-08-2012, 04:29 AM
PSJDBF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: TBM 93

Yeah thats her, Got abit carried away with the vid, all in fun though.
Should have her flying again by this weekend so looking forward to it.
I haven't had mine at a warbirds event yet but hoping to one day, your right you dont get to see many !.
Thanks for the kind comments and looking forward to your vid.
Cheers.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:42 PM
Ultimateflying

Has anyone had any trouble with the Air Cylinders that came with the Retracts.
Leaking, Binding, Etc?

Is there anything special I should do so I don't get a leak?

Thanks
Ultimateflying
Trevor
Old 08-22-2012, 06:54 PM
John Baligrodzki

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ultimate flying,

On mine had to replace all the o rings in the retract cylinders. Originals leaked badly. Replacements still working great. Never did get the retract cylinder not to leak so did not use it. Have my tail wheel permanently in the down position. Gear otherwise work great and are plenty sturdy.

John B.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:43 AM
Ultimateflying

ORIGINAL: John Baligrodzki

Ultimate flying,

On mine had to replace all the o rings in the retract cylinders. Originals leaked badly. Replacements still working great. Never did get the retract cylinder not to leak so did not use it. Have my tail wheel permanently in the down position. Gear otherwise work great and are plenty sturdy.

John B.
Thanks John.

Where did you get the new O Rings for your Retract Cylinders? Are they just normal O Rings from a hardware store, or specialty O Rings from Robart?

How do you get the cylinders apart?
I don't want to damage them trying to get them apart!!

Thanks
Ultimateflying
Trevor
Old 08-23-2012, 01:48 PM
John Baligrodzki

Ultimate,

Bought mine at the hardware store. Was a couple years ago but I think the cylinder ends screw on. Plan to fly my Zero this weekend and will take a look when I have the gear down.

John B.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:38 AM
Ultimateflying

I was thinking about running a Evolution 58.
But I'm starting think that with the amount of weight some guys are having to add to the front of this plane,
I will need a lot more with a lighter engine. I'm guessing 4-4.5 lbs!

What are your guys thoughts?

Should I try the Evolution 58or just buy a Zenoah G62.

The thought of adding weight kind of bugs me. Since the big thing with the advertising on this plane was No Nose Weight Needed!!

Thanks
Trevor
Ultimateflying

Old 08-24-2012, 06:35 PM
John Baligrodzki

Ultimate,
I have a G62 on mine and it took 2Lbs to balance. This motor is perfect for this ship. Will do all the standard maneuvers and fly with plenty of power. This ship has become my go to warbird.

John B.
Old 08-25-2012, 05:45 PM
damagedgoodes

G'day Trevor,

I had the original UltraRC Zero that the TBM was based on and flew it with an MVVS58. It had 3kg of lead above the engine to balance and the model weighed 35lbs. It flew very well and was pretty quick, pleanty of go for large loops etc. I flew it with a Bolly then Xoar 23x10 two blade prop. I lost it at a flyin waiting to land and ran out of fuel in the worst spot. Result was a heavy landing from a stall and it destroyed the wings as all the ribs have lightening holes in them (they build these like 3d aerobats) and the ribs all shattered. I bought another on and have got the TBM longer non scale cowl so when I build that I won't need so much nose weight. I will be putting a DA85 in the next one because I have it on hand and the 58 is going in a Topflite P-47 kit I'm building. I'd say that if you have the Evo58 on hand use it rather than buy another engine like the G-62. In my opinion the Evo58 is a stronger engine.

Cheers,

Dave
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44732.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	1795196   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mi22246.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	1795197   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qw56813.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	1795198  
Old 08-25-2012, 07:02 PM
glazier808
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I must say, this was such a nice looking Zero.

Casey
Old 08-27-2012, 09:49 AM
Ultimateflying

ORIGINAL: damagedgoodes

G'day Trevor,

I had the original UltraRC Zero that the TBM was based on and flew it with an MVVS58. It had 3kg of lead above the engine to balance and the model weighed 35lbs. It flew very well and was pretty quick, pleanty of go for large loops etc. I flew it with a Bolly then Xoar 23x10 two blade prop. I lost it at a flyin waiting to land and ran out of fuel in the worst spot. Result was a heavy landing from a stall and it destroyed the wings as all the ribs have lightening holes in them (they build these like 3d aerobats) and the ribs all shattered. I bought another on and have got the TBM longer non scale cowl so when I build that I won't need so much nose weight. I will be putting a DA85 in the next one because I have it on hand and the 58 is going in a Topflite P-47 kit I'm building. I'd say that if you have the Evo58 on hand use it rather than buy another engine like the G-62. In my opinion the Evo58 is a stronger engine.

Cheers,

Dave
Dave.
Thanks for the info.
I have decided that since I have the Evo 58 for this plane already, I will use it.
I hoping that I can get it balanced with putting my Battery Packs as far worward as possible.
If that dosn't do it I think Iwill try spacing the motor out from the firewall i bit to help shift the weight.
Trevor
Ultimateflying
Old 08-27-2012, 08:44 PM
jasburrito

I put air tool oil in retracts. That sealed the leaks. Mine came in at 27 pounds. No weight added. Zero rules the sky's. Only warbird I have seen knife edge. Control surfaces are about 3d big. Seems light for the size. Cheers
Old 08-28-2012, 03:45 AM
PSJDBF

I removed the o rings on my retracts and wrapped thread tape (plumbers tape ) around the o ring grove then put the o rings back on.....was hard to get them back into the cylinder but once in there was no leaks .
Used vaseline to lube o rings when re installing.
Hopefully will have my Zero out again tomorrow morning & will try and get some video of it !.
Cheers.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:08 AM
Ultimateflying

ORIGINAL: PSJDBF

I removed the o rings on my retracts and wrapped thread tape (plumbers tape ) around the o ring grove then put the o rings back on.....was hard to get them back into the cylinder but once in there was no leaks .
Used vaseline to lube o rings when re installing.
Hopefully will have my Zero out again tomorrow morning & will try and get some video of it !.
Cheers.
How do the Cylinders come apart?
Do the end caps thread off?
Did you just grip the cap with Vise Grips or is there a better way to take them apart?

Thanks
Trevor
Ultimateflying
Old 08-28-2012, 06:21 PM
PSJDBF

Yes the top part of the cylinder is threaded, so you just unscrew it, mine weren't that tight but use some grips if you need to.
The plumbers tape works really well, I have used it on two different sets of air retracts & has worked on both sets, can be a bit of a pain getting the head back in but lube it up with some vas and once in seals up nicely, I have had air still in my system two days after pumping them up !!.
Cheers.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:37 PM
PSJDBF

A link to the short vid of todays shake down flight since the belly landing, was not with out drama as I had the centre section of the canopy come off due to a rail letting go.
Found all the bits un damaged though so just a case of re attaching the rails a little better than I had.
I was only about 3/4 throttle for the flight just to make sure everything was ok also left the gear down, not much footage as the sun was interfering with the camera.
Cheers Steff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HNeY...1&feature=plcp
Old 12-12-2012, 10:52 AM
LBJ
My Feedback: (49)

Anyone still flying their Zero? Got a question about the retracts. Seems the last few posts have been about them, no different here. I feel I have a leak past the o-ring on each cylinder because the air hiss never stops out of the adjustable needle valve hole (on the robart-style retract valve). It should hiss a moment or two as pressure is released on one side of the piston, but then stop, to enable it to go one way or the other way. Funny thing is, by holding the center section vertical (as in a vertical climb) the gear works just fine. But, when holding the wing in level flying position, they won't work at all. In the level position, you have to give the wing a "bump" to get the locks to disengage and they go up or down, after that. Pretty strange. And strangest of all, they seem to work best with fairly low pressure, and almost not at all with over 100PSI. That sort of tells me the more air pressure, the worse the air leak past the o-ring. Make sense? LBJ
Old 12-12-2012, 09:32 PM
2walla
My Feedback: (10)

Would be nice if they brought this one back..
Old 12-12-2012, 09:47 PM
apalsson

I had the MVVS 80 SP IRS in my Zero and it flew it with authority on a 3-blade 26x10 prop.

This morning, I pulled it out and am now in the process of replacing it with the MVVS 80 SP with Starter ( http://www.mvvs-australia.com.au/manuals/80start.pdf )
The starter is driven by an MVVS Electric motor and is mounted on the side of the neck of the engine
The Zero with it's open cowling front is a perfect candidate for this setup.
I will try to take some photos and post here
Old 12-12-2012, 09:51 PM
apalsson

ORIGINAL: 2walla

The TBM Zero was made by 2KRC in China
http://www.2krc.com/en-us/product.aspx?id=363
Last I knew, the factory was happy to sell direct to anyone.
They also had a sales arm, Pasontech (www.pasontech.com). That's where I got mine from
Old 12-13-2012, 06:56 AM
Tone Price

ORIGINAL: apalsson

ORIGINAL: 2walla

The TBM Zero was made by 2KRC in China
http://www.2krc.com/en-us/product.aspx?id=363
Last I knew, the factory was happy to sell direct to anyone.
They also had a sales arm, Pasontech (www.pasontech.com). That's where I got mine from

Unfortunately I don't believe we will be bringing it back. ESM is set to have an 80" Zero so that will be our offering "Zero wise" in the future! I'm unsure of pricing but I expect it to be similarly priced to their other 80" planes. We have them on PO to be received June 2013.

2walla is correct, P&D Products Company is the manufacturer. If anyone is looking to purchase on directly please feel free to check our manual out: http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/newsi...BM_91_Zero.pdf
Old 12-13-2012, 12:57 PM
LBJ

I went to a genuine O-Ring shop for my retract problem. I let him do the work without any micro-managing him. He tried a few rings and they didn't seem to fit, because the aluminum part was too wide for one ring. He pulled out what is called a "backup" ring that is split Teflon and goes behind the rubber o-ring. This is to snug up the O-ring so it cannot deform under pressure. I put them in the retracts and BAM, they worked like GANGBUSTERS!!!!! POW!!!. Man, troubles OVER! I'll list the specs here in case you want to try some. It doesn't seem to matter which side of the O-Ring you put the backup ring on, as air pressure is applied from either direction. I installed mine with the BU Ring towards the main gear strut with the O-Ring towards the outside. It was a bit tough on one cylinder getting the O-Ring back in the tube, but it went in, finally. Tore a bit of the ring off (very very small slivers), but didn't matter in the actual system test.

I bought some Silicone shock oil for RC trucks, 45 weight, and used that for assembly. I added a bit of silicone grease on the threaded end to help seal. Boom that was it. Case closed! I haven't checked the system yet for any other leaks, but consider this a real good day.

Backup Ring #111, Teflon
O-Ring 10mm x 3mm Buna

Pic here. I forgot to take a pic of the assembly, but it's not rocket science.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:37 PM
LBJ

Going to rebuild the engine box. I doubt it would have lasted thru one flight without coming apart. What crap. Going to use some 1/4" aircraft plywood and 30 minute epoxy. Triangle stock on all inside corners, and will pin with 1/8" bamboo dowels. If that DA-85 is as bad as I think it is, all this effort will be needed and save the plane from coming apart. Those thin plates on top and bottom that came off with no resistance are a joke. Wasn't even epoxy, but some sort of hot glue. Only thing holding me up here is how I am going to mount the throttle and choke servos, before I glue it all up for good.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:45 PM
apalsson

A couple of photos of the new engine being mounted
Sorry about the quality, I took them on my iPhone

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur52360.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	1831259   Click image for larger version

Name:	To45345.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	1831260  
Old 12-17-2012, 03:02 PM
LBJ

That's good looking! I hate hand starting for sure. But, the DA-85 will have to be hand started as my 24 volt starter likely won't pull it through.

This one takes the sting out of start ups. Never seen a big gas engine with starter. Tell us how it works out.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:36 PM
apalsson

It's a pretty good system actually.
The ignition is a modified unit that controls the starter. It can also be programmed to manage the choke so in theory, all you have to do is hit a switch on the Tx and off she goes.
The starter motor is just one of the MVVS electric motors and the gear is a typical Bendix type gear with a Torrington bearing at front

There is some weight penalty involved (starter, ESC and a 3-Cell LiPo battery) but in a warbird, we normally carry around lead in the nose anyway so it doesn't make much difference

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.