Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Fuel Tank Failure

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Fuel Tank Failure

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 03:35 PM
dsiems
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Tank Failure

Yesterday is was fueling my Habu 32 and I noticed fuel dripping from the bottom of the fuselage. I quickly began de-fueling and got most of the fuel out. After removing the tank I noticed the fuel stopper in the tank just fell apart. I believe from over-tighting. Nothing got damaged (I hope). The only thing that got soaked was the servo connections and wiring. Will that be a problem if I dry them out completely? Or do I need to do something else? Thanks in advance for any inputs.

Dean
Old 08-26-2012, 04:03 PM
zonker123
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Fuel Tank Failure

Dean
Did you u use a gasoline stopper which is neoprene or the silicone stopper which is what comes with most tanks? The silicone will not hold up on petroleum based substances.

If the servo plugs and leads are all that kero got on u should be good after cleaning. Kero inside the sevos could be a problem. If you u aren't sure replace it just to be safe. i would place some kind of blower or fan blowing into the fuse for a few hours and let everything air out of the next couple of days. Fuel residue in the fuse that may have soaked into the former's could ignite on your next start up if it hasn't evaporated.

take care
Mike

Old 08-26-2012, 04:27 PM
dsiems

Mike,
The stopper was part of the Tamjet conversion kit. I don't blame his product. Things just happen. The only thing that got soaked was the connectors. Everything else has been reinforced with hysol. I have had a fan on it since it happened. I will let it set for the next week. Are there any stoppers out there that are recommended for the Kavan / 24oz tanks? Thanks for chiming in!!!
Dean
Old 08-26-2012, 05:44 PM
zonker123
My Feedback: (21)

Maybe try this: [link]http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXBWL6&P=M[/link]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70196.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	1795573  
Old 08-26-2012, 09:08 PM
ViperOneNL

In my experiance kero does not harm our equipment, I had a kero leak just after the pump in the air and my fuselage had about 5 cm fuel slushing around, jettronics valves, receiver and ecu where under the kero, never posed a problem.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:31 AM
Turbotronic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: ViperOneNL

In my experiance kero does not harm our equipment, I had a kero leak just after the pump in the air and my fuselage had about 5 cm fuel slushing around, jettronics valves, receiver and ecu where under the kero, never posed a problem.
Not short term but kero and even more so some turbine oils (Aeroshell and mobil the worst) is a depolimerizing agent for some plastics. Some types of plastic like styrene and and the jr lead wire sheaths are adversely affected. ABS, nylon etc is ok in my experience. The effect on most electronics is minimal to zero, except for RF traces maybe. Of course it turns silicone into a gooy mess.
Andre

Old 08-27-2012, 03:36 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The only petrol/kero stoppers I have found that are reliable are the Dubro red stoppers, they have an 0 on the top.

The Sullivan stoppers I have never been successful with, after about three months they disintegrate.

Mike

If you can get the leads out of the airframe hang them in front of your air conditioning in the car that dry's them out nicely, I did this to my mobile phone after it dropped out of my top pocket into the loo whilst I was bending over cleaning it for my elderly mother.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:01 AM
ViperOneNL

Learn something every day lol

It happened years ago and plane still flying with same equipment, but I dont use turbine oil, but use dpe light maybe thats the difference dunno.

Cheers,

Mick
Old 08-27-2012, 08:31 AM
aquaskiman
My Feedback: (46)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: BaldEagel

The only petrol/kero stoppers I have found that are reliable are the Dubro red stoppers, they have an 0 on the top.

The Sullivan stoppers I have never been successful with, after about three months they disintegrate.

Mike

If you can get the leads out of the airframe hang them in front of your air conditioning in the car that dry's them out nicely, I did this to my mobile phone after it dropped out of my top pocket into the loo whilst I was bending over cleaning it for my elderly mother.
+1 the red ones are the only ones that work.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:54 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 733 Likes on 529 Posts

Yep, we use the Dubro brown bungs in everything inc our Habu 32 conversion with the Kavan 20oz tank.I change everything to these, even my BVM hoppers. CARF have also used these for years

Dw
Old 08-27-2012, 10:58 AM
dsiems

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the inputs. I will try one of the stoppers that were recommended. Thanks Again!!

Dean
Old 08-28-2012, 06:17 PM
ChuckC
My Feedback: (24)

The servo wires will eventually harden and crack. Slowly, depending on how long they were wet with kero. Easy to watch failure occurring, though.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:58 AM
dsiems

ChuckC,
The wires / connectors were only exposed to the kero for about 5-10 minutes. I have had a fan blowing into the airframe now for a few days and everything looks well. I will keep my eye on the wiring for any cracking and hardening. Thanks for the info.
Dean