Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Zippy Batteries

Old 08-27-2012, 11:00 AM
mmiller1
My Feedback: (75)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zippy Batteries

I just got three Zippi 2350 mAh 3S batts. from Hobby King. Just charged one on my Hobbico charger (DC) and it is quite puffy. I charged one on my Trident without any problem. My guess the Hobbico field charger does not have a cut off installed. I checked the cell readings and they were in the 4.33 range for each of the 3 cells. With the Trident, the range was 4.13-4.15 range and pack looks normal. Is the field charger not a good option even though it claims to handle LiPO?
Old 08-27-2012, 01:55 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Default RE: Zippy Batteries

If it's the dual field charger http://www.hobbico.com/chargers/hcap0290.html then it is supposed to be just fine for lipos. The complaints I remember were that it was designed for li-ion terminating at 4.1 per cell rather than 4.2 per cell. If this is your charger then you got one that is off the other way. 4.33 is what I'd consider almost to the top of safe voltage , but definately shouldn't be cause for immediate puffing.

This charger is also easy to get the wrong type, right?
Old 08-27-2012, 03:17 PM
mmiller1

Thanks for the reply. It has been awhile since I used this charger for charging. I looked on the side of the charger and I realize I did not push the button to initiate charging 3 times for LiPO. By not making that selection, then the charger most likely thought it was charging a NiCD. Would that be the reason for 'pushing the curve' on what a LiPO can handle? Also, can I expect the 'puffiness" to ever reced? Should I use it at all? What about future charging? This is a new thing for me. Is there some type of primer that is available for folks like me that need a bit more info. on electrics?
Old 08-27-2012, 03:28 PM
guver

Yep, that would sure do it. In fact you are lucky it shut off (probably due the it's safety timer)

It's bad for the pack to set at a high voltage and is much safer to set at 3.7-3.8 volts per cell than at 4.33
If it isn't puffed too bad then it can be used , if it's very large then it really should be discharged all the way to 0 volts per cell in a safe environment and disposed of. I doubt the puffy or squishy will ever go away.

A pic might help me to decide how "bad" the puffy is. One great thing is that all cells are still equal voltage , but it definately shouldn't spend any time at 4.33
Old 08-28-2012, 08:24 AM
mmiller1

Yea, it is really puffy! Like a pregnancy that has gone 12 months! I will discharge it to 0 and discard in salt water. Out of curiosity, how salty should I make the water? How long of a sitting time in the water and then what...garbage can? Thank you for your insigts. Any ideas on a printed source (internet) that gives basics on LiPO battery information?

Tim
Old 08-28-2012, 01:44 PM
guver

Sounds like it is pretty bad then. I'd leave it outside with a bulb or load attached overnight. This will dioscharge it to zero.

The saltwater bath is a myth that won't seem to die. It is not necessary or a substitute for discharging the power out of it.

If you can get it down to 1 volt per cell then it's the same as dead and non-harmful. I usually hang cells with bulbs from my swingset or in my gas grill overnight. That way I can forget about them.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:23 PM
guver

I forgot some links. There's plenty more.

http://www.scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/lipo.html
https://sites.google.com/site/tjingu...arging-how-tos
Old 08-29-2012, 03:08 PM
Harv2828

Can anyone tell me why I constantly kill 6s Lipos? The #6 cell always goes down to 3.7 and won't charge, thus making the battery useless. I use a 70amp esc, 60 size motor and 12x7 prop. It's getting expensive. I don't fly more than 5 minutes.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:00 PM
guver

I can help maybe. Could you tell us what you mean by "always goes down to 3.7 and won't charge"

Maybe how often, how many charges, ect. This happens with one charger and many packs?