Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC 1/8th Scale Buggies
Reload this Page >

Setup for an OFNA hyper star electirc

Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

Setup for an OFNA hyper star electirc

Old 08-26-2012, 11:08 AM
assafwei

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Setup for an OFNA hyper star electirc

Hi,

Looking for a cheap setup (ESC+Motor), what will be the best value for money combo I could get?

Thanks.
Old 08-26-2012, 02:00 PM
Aljo

Default RE: Setup for an OFNA hyper star electirc

Hobby King gear checkout the following; (click titles or pic to take you too the website link) There are 150AMP versions of both these ESCs but none at the USA warehouse so would have to order from else way causing delays oh and also a 160AMP version of the Turnigy. This setup should be awesome on 4s I have the 150AMP versions of the ESCs and they have worked awesome all the way to 6s but on 6s and 5s I use my MM motor but this trackstar motor works great on 4s just tweak gearing to temps.
Turnigy TrackStar 120A Brushless Short Course Truck ESC (USA Warehouse) $53.42 + shipping Turnigy TrackStar 4168 2650KV 1/8th Brushless Motor (USA Warehouse) $49.82 + shipping

Old 08-26-2012, 02:39 PM
assafwei

Thanks for the quick answer, It looks like something to consider, I live outside the US so I will be ordering from the Hong-Kong warehouse, If Turnigy will be the choice I will go for the 150A setup, does HK offer a sensored brushless motor that's any good?

What about a steering servo, is there any good steering servo from HK that's worth buying?

Thanks.
Old 08-26-2012, 02:55 PM
Aljo

I am in Austrlia so I always order from Hongkong unless the Aus warehouse has what I need/want.

I have only used a 1/10th scale sensored motor from HK it wasn't great and not suitable for 1/8 scale but did the job for my 1/10th onroad/drifter.
I have both these servos but haven't had extensive use with them yet but I have used lesser servos from HK and they were awesome so I expect these to be better as they are stronger and last a good amount of time for the price. Both under $35 + shipping.
Yeah the 150AMP would be good just keep in mind the dimensions of the footprints.

Mate I just realised your inRehovot, ISRAELsorry I didn't check first off just asumed you were in the USA. BTW my mother is going to Isreal in October for a few weeks has been a dream of hers for years now but anyways hehe. Hope the servo and other info is a help to you.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:44 AM
assafwei

Australia is my next traveling destination...

Thanks for the replies, I will be considering your recommendations
Old 08-27-2012, 11:26 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: assafwei

Thanks for the quick answer, It looks like something to consider, I live outside the US so I will be ordering from the Hong-Kong warehouse, If Turnigy will be the choice I will go for the 150A setup, does HK offer a sensored brushless motor that's any good?

What about a steering servo, is there any good steering servo from HK that's worth buying?

Thanks.
The problem with hobbykng ESCs is that they need a 20 buck programming card and there is literally NO other way to program them.

Personally, I would recommend...

http://www.hobbyhot.com/SKYRC-TORO-1...mbo-ME775.html

I've heard bad things about hobyking and turnigy ESCs, some of it likely not justified, but I've only heard good things about the toro setup. It's a small risk as I have no personal experience with either system, but for sure the Turnigy nanotech batteries are outstanding. As for a servo, there's no need to go Chinese, there are soe really good ones from reputable brands which would not break the bank, such as Savox 0251 (40 bucks) or if you can spare a bit more cash, the Savox 1258tg (60 bucks).
Old 08-28-2012, 12:01 AM
assafwei

The toro setup you linked looks exactly like the turnigiy, the ESC looks exactly like the turnigy 150A ESC and the motor looks similar to the turnigy trackstar motor (only different KV)...

I wonder if they are made in the same factory...
Old 08-28-2012, 12:25 AM
Aljo

Yes I forgot they require programming card thanks for bringing that up Foxy but the cards are $7.80 for the Turnigy TrackStar ESC and $5.74 for the Hobby King 150A ESC.
I have had a good experience with the Turnigy and HK branded 150AMP ESC's I admit that on 6s I worry but nothing has ever gone wrong with a little program tweaking (timing and punch) eliminating any issues I encountered with the slight cogging.
That ESC looks pretty identical to the Turnigy version.
Turnigy TrackStar 150A 1/8th Scale Brushless Car ESC SKYRC TORO 1/8 RC Model Buggy X8 1900KV Brushless Motor & 150A ESC Combo ME775

I would say that they are one in the same. As for the motor they look the same but the KV is different though they state the following Motor Limits :[/b]Brushless KV <= 2400:Up to 6S(25.2Volt), for 1/8 monster trucks and truggies -Brushless KV >2400:Up to 4S(16.8Volt), ideal for 1/8 buggieswhich makes the Turnigy motor excesive for their 6s setup which is interesting as 66780RPM is high but may not be a major problem depending on the build quality of the motor and I have not run 6s on the trackstar yet but have run 6s on the 2200kv Mamba Monster.

Sorry to say again, identical.

Here are pics of the program cards.

Even the control card is identical layout.

I am convinced that these are the same just rebadged.

Savox servos are awesome if it fits into your budget. I love to go overkill and aim for speed 0.10-0.13 sec and 18-25kg torque.

Just found this sensored Turnigy motor.
Turnigy TrackStar 1/8th Sensored Brushless Motor 2350KV

Old 08-28-2012, 02:02 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I appluad you for posting such complete information aljo, thanks for the correction on the price of the programming cards, they aren't too bad I suppose. I also agree that more than likely, the internals of the 2 ESCs are near identical. I too run 6S on the MMM esc in a truggy and it hardly bats an eyelid, never thermalled with the 2200kv, but I will not buy another 1.8th motor (for an off road car) above 2000kv, I'm starting to think that 1900kv in a long can is pretty much optimal for track stuff, and you can always gear up for bashing, the 1900 shouldn't get too hot. For a brushless 1/8th GT on road car, I'd go as high as I could, 2650 for example, but not for off road, too much acceleration and braking and surface transitions for such high draw, above 2200 gets real hot real fast on 6S, I can't run an entire pack non stop in the Xray on 15/46 with the MMM combo (but then the ambient here is 110* lol) due to motor heat.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:08 PM
assafwei

Hi guys,

Thanks for your replies, I ordered the trackstar sensored brushless motor, the hobbyking 150 Amps ESC and the programming card, as for the servo, still looking for a good and cheap option, in the meanwhile I will use what I have at home.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:52 PM
Aljo

Awesome let us know how it goes, even some recorded videos posted on youtube and linked here would be awesome.

$30ish servos at HK are great value but the Savox servos are a perfect balance of quality, reliability and price but I still use the HK ones.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:08 AM
assafwei

Ran the setup for the first time today, 3S Lipo, tons of power, runs smooth, both motor and ESC stayed cool the entire pack, for the meanwhile I am happy, hoping to get some track time and maybe some vids soon.

Thanks all for your help choosing this setup!