Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Virus warning

Old 08-28-2012, 06:51 AM
Harlan
My Feedback: (107)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Virus warning

Seems to me we've had problems reported by at least four anti-virus programs, not just AVG. That being the case and because RCU is one of the top problem sites, I would worry a bit if I were using an anti-virus program that couldn't detect a problem in the code for the site. There is something wrong, folks, and your program should be detecting it as well as the four which are detecting it. One of the guys using AVG here is an IT professional, so I wouldn't be so quick to jump on AVG. I would, however, be quick to question a program which detected nothing wrong.

Harlan
Old 08-28-2012, 07:02 AM
Radical Departure
My Feedback: (13)

ORIGINAL: 3136
Oh for Christ's sakes just pay for a decent antivirus software and you wont have any more problems.
Why is it that eveyone who is using AVG is having problems? It's because it's crap!!! End of story cheapies!
I don't understand being accused of being stupid, because I use software that works, and filters my computer from crap, that free software does not.
How is that being stupid?
My pc is working fine, yours isn't , who is the stupid one?
Wow.. I wish I had the same magical insight into the networks I manage from my desk that you do from the other side of the world. What the heck makes you think everyone of us is running some kind of freeware??? I'm sitting on a business network with thousands of dollars invested in products from edge appliance filters down to desktop business products, and if a site is getting flagged, its not because of 'cheapie' software or the network decided it doesn't like RCU. Kindly explain to me why our Barracuda web filter product is also flagging the site? Any answer to that?

Why is it that our company has researchers and financial analysts on hundreds of sites everyday, and they don't seem to be getting flagged? Oh.. I get it now, its all ass-backwards.. RCU is OK and all the other sites are wrong! Anyway, keep playing with your more-than-the-rest-of-us-can-afford-and-is-never-wrong software, you obviously have it all figured out, the rest of us will just have to suffer...

Now.. for those looking for additional information, it seems the problem is stemming from banner ads. The pages with problems seem to have banners served up from morerc.com. Specifically ts001, ts004 and ts007.jpg I can't get any further than that without doing some sandboxing, as our 'cuda box shows the morerc.com site has exploit problems and won't let me on to it. Anyway, thats what I'm seeing, will leave it to the mods to sort out.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	By76300.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	1796068  
Old 08-28-2012, 07:21 AM
KaP2011
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've always suspected that 99.9% of the problems with RCU was because of the ads. I think that all of the problems go back to when RCU started putting all the streaming ads up. That's when I began to notice the lag and the errors start to come up.

RCU is here to serve Internet Brand's customers. We just need to realize that we are not the customer, we are the product.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:09 AM
chatuge99
My Feedback: (11)

I use the free AVG and I'm not having any of the above problems.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:10 AM
narwalrus
My Feedback: (4)

You have to understand how the applications work.
If something looks like an attack - even if it isn't - it will try to block it. If there is no way to block it, perhaps it won't allow you to continue to the page.

As far as the "Superior" Norton, perhaps rather than Norton being "smarter" than all the rest, perhaps it is simply a different form of security software that doesn't scan for that type of attack and therefore does not display an error.

And this is most likely a block that is consistent among programs that actively block such issues. No problems with this, however I can say that it isn't the fault of the web developers or advertisers (morerc.com seems legit but not sure there) but more likely a failed implementation using code logically written accidentally in the same form of an attack.

It isn't an attack most likely. Think of emails - images are blocked unless you know who they are because images can lead to attacks. Of course most images are not attacks.. but they are prevented anyways.

This problem however is a more unlikely coincidence in the code and is therefore blocked with more effort.

It's pretty much just the software doing what it's supposed to do, it can only go so far to determine if something truly is an attack.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:13 AM
Live Wire

Well it looks like we had better learn to live with it. When some one pay's a large some of money for advertisement, no one will find a problem that will cost you money you have alread spent. You do not cut off the hand that is feeding you unless you have an ACE in the hole
Old 08-28-2012, 09:30 AM
Hemikiller
My Feedback: (125)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

MoreRC.com is a Maplegate Media Group site, so that would make them legit.

Registrant:

Maplegate Media Group, Inc.

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, LLC (http://www.godaddy.com)

Domain Name: MORERC.COM

Domain servers in listed order:

NS5.TRKHOSTING.COM

NS6.TRKHOSTING.COM

http://www.avgthreatlabs.com/siterep...com/#analytics
Old 08-28-2012, 10:39 AM
Radical Departure

ORIGINAL: TheDriftingNarwhal
You have to understand how the applications work.
If something looks like an attack - even if it isn't - it will try to block it. If there is no way to block it, perhaps it won't allow you to continue to the page.

As far as the ''Superior'' Norton, perhaps rather than Norton being ''smarter'' than all the rest, perhaps it is simply a different form of security software that doesn't scan for that type of attack and therefore does not display an error.

And this is most likely a block that is consistent among programs that actively block such issues. No problems with this, however I can say that it isn't the fault of the web developers or advertisers (morerc.com seems legit but not sure there) but more likely a failed implementation using code logically written accidentally in the same form of an attack.

It isn't an attack most likely. Think of emails - images are blocked unless you know who they are because images can lead to attacks. Of course most images are not attacks.. but they are prevented anyways.

This problem however is a more unlikely coincidence in the code and is therefore blocked with more effort.

It's pretty much just the software doing what it's supposed to do, it can only go so far to determine if something truly is an attack.
Personally I don't think its an actual exploit, but as you mentioned, more than likely sloppy coding. On the other hand, I'm not going to risk it by disabling a bunch of stuff and seeing if that is indeed valid. Plenty of legit sites have had problems, sites much bigger than RCU or morerc.com. In that vein, if other network devices are also showing a site has a problem, then I have to take it that there is a problem, regardless if its sloppy code or an actual exploit. Sloppy code opens itself up to exploits, so who's to say what the real deal is until the code is actually looked at. At a minimum, one way to find out is to pull the banner ads in question and see what happens. Its interesting to note that the spikes started on Aug. 20th. Shouldnt be hard for the web guys to backtrack to that date and see what changed.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:56 AM
KaP2011
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Radical Departure

Its interesting to note that the spikes started on Aug. 20th. Shouldnt be hard for the web guys to backtrack to that date and see what changed.
My problems started on Aug. 13th after I upgraded my virus software to AVG 2012. That's when I got the first HTML/Framer warning.It then got better a few days later and now it's back to what we have now.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:08 AM
Wingdinger2

I'm using AVG free edition and I'm also getting the exploit warning on many RCU pages as of today. Usually if I reload the page, it'll actually load, but the warning will still pop up again.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:28 AM
Radical Departure

Whatever the deal its a huge pain in the *****, have ads to post and ads to respond to. One would think that by now RCU staff is aware of the problem, their lack of saying anything is a bit troubling. Have a PC at home I don't mind trashing, so will try those pages this evening with no AV installed and see if anything is actually delivered to it.

Same thing.. got the first msg about 2 weeks ago or less, html/framer, but only lasted a couple hours and was cleared up, everything checked clean. Past few days have been nothing but blocks...
Old 08-28-2012, 12:38 PM
narwalrus

Now I don't know if this is accurate as I'm not entirely sure as to how it works but it is certainly relevant. I'm using AdBlock Plus with Firefox (Both free).. can someone perhaps try installing this addon and see if it fixes the issues?

A random thought but a possible one.
By the way, maybe you should try virtualization rather than a physical "junk" computer. Install Puppy Linkux, Wireshark and the rest of the capture tools.. besides, Linux is resistant to Windows based code. (Other attacks are another story of course)

Old 08-28-2012, 02:53 PM
Brian Smith
My Feedback: (117)

Thanks to whom ever did what ever. It is working perfectly for me this evening. Brian

Old 08-28-2012, 05:52 PM
Live Wire

It's BACK
Old 08-28-2012, 06:11 PM
donho1

Norton 360 no problems here.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:14 PM
bob62
My Feedback: (28)

Yesterday I turned my AVG off, went to site and pulled up planes. Looked at several planes and got a virus message, it gave me three options. 1. To capture and remove to virus vault. 2. To open and review [or something to that order]. 3. To delete and go on. We choose to remove to virus vault, it started doing it thing and when done it stated it could not find any virus. It leads me to believe that it is AVG and not a virus

Bob
Old 08-28-2012, 06:26 PM
Brian Smith
My Feedback: (117)

Yes it is back... What the heck is going on. Works and then it doesn't.. Huh???
ORIGINAL: Live Wire

It's BACK
Old 08-28-2012, 07:16 PM
MrMulligan
My Feedback: (314)

My desktop uses free AVG and I can't get into the Classifieds at all with a warning on the Forums. My laptop uses McAfee and has no problems with the site at all. Very confusing.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:36 PM
Harlan

It doesn't have to be the fault of AVG or aa actual threat (virus). It just has to look like a threat to whatever anti-virus program is running. If the guy who wrote the code is sloppy or just lousy at his job, it could set off the threat warning. In that case, its the fault of RCU management for not correcting it.

Harlan
Old 08-28-2012, 09:28 PM
narwalrus

ORIGINAL: Harlan

It doesn't have to be the fault of AVG or aa actual threat (virus). It just has to look like a threat to whatever anti-virus program is running. If the guy who wrote the code is sloppy or just lousy at his job, it could set off the threat warning. In that case, its the fault of RCU management for not correcting it.

Harlan
Yep thats right, just not necessarily lousy. It probably functions just as it should but the programmer accidentally replicated something with a similar appearance and didn't know it.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:46 AM
Radical Departure

ORIGINAL: TheDriftingNarwhal
Now I don't know if this is accurate as I'm not entirely sure as to how it works but it is certainly relevant. I'm using AdBlock Plus with Firefox (Both free).. can someone perhaps try installing this addon and see if it fixes the issues?

A random thought but a possible one.
By the way, maybe you should try virtualization rather than a physical ''junk'' computer. Install Puppy Linkux, Wireshark and the rest of the capture tools.. besides, Linux is resistant to Windows based code. (Other attacks are another story of course)
That did cross my mind, but its looking like I'm not going to have a lot of time rest of this week. (No opportunity to even fire up the PC up at home last night). If its still hanging around thru the weekend, I may give it a shot, supposed to be raining here so no flying! []

In that vein I've used Ethereal and Wireshark for a few years, recently stumbled onto MS NetMon, not sure where I got it but had dumped it into a util dir and forgot about it. Fired it up a few days ago, and you know, I'm kinda impressed with it. Nice interface and a decent option set, various decodes, etc.. If you're into this stuff, and it sounds like you are, take a peek at it if haven't already. As to Linux, I must admit I'm not there yet, heck, I haven't been able to even get Umbutu to successfully install. Something else do do on a rainy day.. lol!!!
Old 08-29-2012, 08:49 AM
tony0707

ORIGINAL: tony0707

I am using norton security-have no problem surfing the sight anywhere
UPDATE-yesterday went on my computer to find a message from microsoft that my Norton security has been TUNED OFF
I am due for a renewal 9-7-12 so thought this was very odd (8-28-12 today )
the program has been removed from my computer and i have no idea by who
the Norton advanced techs wanted $169.00 to fix my registry that they said had 194 stale registry entries and 99 virus infectionsone is an advance Trogan horse virus (told me Best Buy wanted $299.00 to fix the same problem ? so he was giving me a deal )

called Norton-the tech did some scan on malwarebytes.com to tell me the results he found above ( he was inside my computer )
I have been using only Norton for 6 1/2 years
this indicated to me that Norton was not protecting my computer as i was told it was doing
I cancelled Norton and went to AVG
if with Norton i would suggest you run some scans to determine if it is protecting your computer as it is supposed to be
it was not doing its job in my case really not nice to find this out
Old 08-29-2012, 09:31 AM
Harlan

I just logged in using Linux. I kind of forgot that I have Ubuntu installed on a second drive on this box, but now that I remembered Ubuntu, I loaded it and have no problem going anywhere on RCU. I don't know if Ubuntu has an anti-virus module built into it or not, but it is isolated on a separate drive anyway. This is simply a test, since I don't intend to use Ubuntu to access the website on a regular basis. Just thought you guys who have access to Ubuntu would like to know it works fine.

Harlan
Old 08-29-2012, 09:52 AM
Radical Departure

I did a packet capture on a PC with AVG, and one with no anti-virus. While I havent had time to look at them in detail, so far not seeing anything that really trips a trigger. The one w/o the AV is fairly large, but I did notice that it makes a call for .jpgs from an ISP thats had problems with malware and such in the past. Its not within the IP range of morerc.com, so not sure exactly whats going on, since our 'cuda box was flagging THAT domain. There was also a call for a turbofeat.gif, but can't tell where it was trying to pull that from, and google returns no results on that name. Will try to make some time to look at the capture a bit closer, but again, I'm not seeing anything delivered on the upfront. If any gearhead wants a txt copy (w/some of our network info. redacted) of the capture to see what they can find let me know, it was grabbed with MS NetMon.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:54 AM
littledevile420
My Feedback: (20)

yep rcu has an issue just logged in on my company computer which has state of the art security can t say which one but it also identifies multiple issues. same with McAfee on my personal computer.  guess i'll wait till the problem is fixed. imho Norton sucks and have had my computer crash hard when using norton wiping out all my media and personal projects. i would not trust it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.