Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

i know what i'm looking for, but at the same time i don't, plz help

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

i know what i'm looking for, but at the same time i don't, plz help

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 11:37 AM
Nitro Pop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i know what i'm looking for, but at the same time i don't, plz help

taking this into referance:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9337359/tm.htm

my answers are:

1. my experiance level is probably 6.3/10 overall, i have driven my nitro GS storm at 45, tuned it alone, replaced shock oil, and put in a new rear bulkhead

2. i plan on running it in various offroad conditions, not any trails or rocks, but hills, jumps, grass, dirt, sand, some rough stuff, and maybe mud/water

3. my intention for buying with be anywhere from 60%bashing 40%racing to 85%bashing 15%racing, but im reall unsure at this point

4. budget? too little, i'll either have to use Ebay or put it on layaway

5. scale, i'll go for anything between 1/8-1/18

6. i'll honestly take either nitro or electric but i semi-strongly prefer electric

7. i'm looking for something EXTREMELY durable that won't break often

8. i'll go for either an RTR or KIT

9. if its gonna be a nitro id rather have a pull or roto start

10. i am comfortable working on it, and if i can't i have a hobby town nearby
Old 08-29-2012, 11:45 AM
narwalrus
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: i know what i'm looking for, but at the same time i don't, plz help

Thanks for being thorough. To take in your preference though... what form of vehicles do you like?
Relevant quote:

ORIGINAL: TheDriftingNarwhal

Well there are a few different classes.
Off-road -
Short Course - Semi Scale Offroad Trucks
Buggies - 2WD or 4WD, non-scale
Truggies - Usually 4WD, lower faster monster trucks
Stadium Trucks - Open wheel non-scale, usually 2WD
Monster trucks

On-road -
Touring/Grip
Rally
Drift

Most of these come in different sizes, or scales.
I may have missed some but that should give you a good idea. Also, are there any full-size vehicles you like/would wish to replicate?

Old 08-29-2012, 11:50 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OFNA Ultra LX2e RTR. There's no better brushless 2.4ghz RTR car on the market for the price, and it's getting good reviews all around. Should be able to pick one up on ebay for about 320 brand new. If that sounds expensive, it isn;t, you are getting one HELL of a lot for the money. It's a 1/8th buggy, so its at home bashing or on the track and you should easily get a race. It's ready to rock 4S lipo batteries which will truly gobsmack you compared to the storm and it has a 2.4ghz radio for complete peace of mind.

Another consideration, again a 1/8th buggy, this time nitro, the Hyper 7. Can be had on the bay for about 290 RTR.

If you don't fancy another 1/8th buggy, do you have a different class in mind that you like the look of? I would mention short course, but they aren't the greatest bashers to be honest, need relatively smooth ground and turn over easily compared to the buggy you're used to.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:11 PM
Nitro Pop

ORIGINAL: Foxy

OFNA Ultra LX2e RTR. There's no better brushless 2.4ghz RTR car on the market, and it's getting good reviews all around. Should be able to pick one up on ebay for about 320 brand new. If that sounds expensive, it isn;t, you are getting one HELL of a lot for the money. It's a 1/8th buggy, so its at home bashing or on the track and you should easily get a race. It's ready to rock 4S lipo batteries which will truly gobsmack you compared to the storm and it has a 2.4ghz radio for complete peace of mind.

Another consideration, again a 1/8th buggy, this time nitro, the Hyper 7. Can be had on the bay for about 290 RTR.

If you don't fancy another 1/8th buggy, do you have a different class in mind that you like the look of? I would mention short course, but they aren't the greatest bashers to be honest, need relatively smooth ground and turn over easily compared to the buggy you're used to.
TBO, i'm torn between buggies, and truggies i'll be doing mostly bashing, IDK i'm just really killin myself over it

Old 08-29-2012, 12:18 PM
celica49

OFNA Ultra LX2e RTR. There's no better brushless 2.4ghz RTR car on the market,
I would strongly dispute that. My Kyosho Inferno Ve is absolutely awesome. I beat the crap out of mine this last weekend (first time I raced it) and it had no issues other than the shock towers, which was purely my fault for 2 reasons. 1) they are a known "weak link" and have been since they were on the inferno 7.5, and I didnt swap the aftermarket ones, and 2) I was driving the thing like I stole it. It was tumbling down the back straight more often than it was straight haha. Granted, they are a few more dollars than the Ofna, but in my opinion is worth it, especially seeing as it has an Orion brushless setup in it stock.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:11 PM
Foxy

Oops, you're right, something critical was left out... "FOR THE PRICE"!! Now edited in to save confusion.

And I hate to say it, but there isn't much to choose between the LX2e RTR and the Kyosho VE, they are both budget RTRs limited to 4S, using stamped aluminum and plastic parts. The Kyosho's a great car, but I think the OFNA represents fractionally better value, plus OFNA is better supported in the US than Kyosho.

@OP, a brushless truggy will run you a LOT more, but if that doesn't put you off, I agree they are the more versatile machines for any kind of use, best of both worlds, buggy and monster truck and no drawbacks. My opinion that a 6S brushless truggy is the absolute pinnacle of the surface hobby experience is well known around here. Unfortunately, dedicated electric truggies are either full race kits and very expensive (think Serpent electric truggy), or they're nitros which need to be converted, and in that case, you really have to research well which conversion kit you use, some are outstanding and some will make the car handle terribly. Of course, the former are usually a lot more expensive than the latter and include full chassis conversions. What's max budget up and running without batteries/charger?
Old 08-29-2012, 01:30 PM
Nitro Pop

Oops, you're right, something critical was left out... "FOR THE PRICE"!! Now edited in to save confusion.

And I hate to say it, but there isn't much to choose between the LX2e RTR and the Kyosho VE, they are both budget RTRs limited to 4S, using stamped aluminum and plastic parts. The Kyosho's a great car, but I think the OFNA represents fractionally better value, plus OFNA is better supported in the US than Kyosho.

@OP, a brushless truggy will run you a LOT more, but if that doesn't put you off, I agree they are the more versatile machines for any kind of use, best of both worlds, buggy and monster truck and no drawbacks. My opinion that a 6S brushless truggy is the absolute pinnacle of the surface hobby experience is well known around here. Unfortunately, dedicated electric truggies are either full race kits and very expensive (think Serpent electric truggy), or they're nitros which need to be converted, and in that case, you really have to research well which conversion kit you use, some are outstanding and some will make the car handle terribly. Of course, the former are usually a lot more expensive than the latter and include full chassis conversions. What's max budget up and running without batteries/charger?
to be honest $0.00 XP but i can probably do a layaway, i really dont know, maybe 650 total? i guess i should just go with a roller and buy seperate electronics, what do y'all reccomend?
Old 08-29-2012, 02:45 PM
Foxy

It's very refreshing to see someone with realistic expectations. 650 will get you a good truggy. With that budget you should definitely buy a kit and ancillaries, leave the RTRs for those with 500 or less.

[link=http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_44_1256/products_id/35145/n/Hot-Bodies-D8T-1-8-Off-Road-Competition-Truggy-Kit]Hot Bodies D8T competition truggy - $335[/link]
[link=http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_44_904/products_id/191289/n/Tekno-RC-V4-Brushless-Kit-Hot-Bodies-D8T-42mm-Motors]Tekno V4 conversion for D8T - $135[/link]
[link=http://www.hobbypartz.com/07e-c-xerun-150a-sd.html]150A HobbyWing ESC - $110[/link]
[link=http://www.hobbypartz.com/77p-lbp4074-2-5y-2000kv.html]Leopard 2000kv motor - $51[/link]
[link=http://www.hobbypartz.com/60gexidise.html]EXI D226F Steering servo - $15[/link]

By my reckoning, that's 647 and a bit of delivery, but this is about as good a setup as you can get for the money and has no compromises, this stuff is all ideal for the task. If you wanted me to get it another 50 bucks under budget, I could with a few minor compromises, but I think the stuff I've linked represents the best value for money of any other possible combination and is sufficient to put you on the podium at any club electric truggy a-main if your skills are up to the task . This truggy will eat up anything you can throw at it and easily do 60mph on 6S without batting an eyelid. Run it on 4S for fun and racing, and 6S when you're feeling insane. If you need another radio, get this one...

http://www.hobbypartz.com/79p-gt3b-carradio-lcd.html
Old 08-29-2012, 03:44 PM
Nitro Pop

It's very refreshing to see someone with realistic expectations. 650 will get you a good truggy. With that budget you should definitely buy a kit and ancillaries, leave the RTRs for those with 500 or less.

[link=http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_44_1256/products_id/35145/n/Hot-Bodies-D8T-1-8-Off-Road-Competition-Truggy-Kit]Hot Bodies D8T competition truggy - $335[/link]
[link=http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_44_904/products_id/191289/n/Tekno-RC-V4-Brushless-Kit-Hot-Bodies-D8T-42mm-Motors]Tekno V4 conversion for D8T - $135[/link]
[link=http://www.hobbypartz.com/07e-c-xerun-150a-sd.html]150A HobbyWing ESC - $110[/link]
[link=http://www.hobbypartz.com/77p-lbp4074-2-5y-2000kv.html]Leopard 2000kv motor - $51[/link]
[link=http://www.hobbypartz.com/60gexidise.html]EXI D226F Steering servo - $15[/link]

By my reckoning, that's 647 and a bit of delivery, but this is about as good a setup as you can get for the money and has no compromises, this stuff is all ideal for the task. If you wanted me to get it another 50 bucks under budget, I could with a few minor compromises, but I think the stuff I've linked represents the best value for money of any other possible combination and is sufficient to put you on the podium at any club electric truggy a-main if your skills are up to the task . This truggy will eat up anything you can throw at it and easily do 60mph on 6S without batting an eyelid. Run it on 4S for fun and racing, and 6S when you're feeling insane. If you need another radio, get this one...

http://www.hobbypartz.com/79p-gt3b-carradio-lcd.html
ok so can i have your absolute honest opinion on weather i should go buggy or truggy, as i've joked in my last post my budget is HIGHLY limited

Old 08-29-2012, 03:53 PM
Foxy

If you're not prepared to spend at least 600, forget an electric truggy of anything but below average quality or take a risk on second hand. Do I think you should make the effort to find that much money for a truggy? Yes, I absolutely do, but if it's out of the question, no problem, I can spec you up a 'good' brushless RC to fit just about any budget, just give me a number. The smaller the number, the smaller the RC will be.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:09 PM
Nitro Pop

If you're not prepared to spend at least 600, forget an electric truggy of anything but below average quality or take a risk on second hand. Do I think you should make the effort to find that much money for a truggy? Yes, I absolutely do, but if it's out of the question, no problem, I can spec you up a 'good' brushless RC to fit just about any budget, just give me a number. The smaller the number, the smaller the RC will be.
ok my only demands are 4x4, offroad, and "above-average" to "indestructable" quality, LIMIT $450 USD
Old 08-29-2012, 05:32 PM
thehuntingterminator

Rustler VXLs aren't too bad with a couple of upgrades ($340+ $75 in upgrades which I'd recommend). Savage XS SS kit isn't bad either if you get good enough electronics (around $400 plus a battery for a nice setup).
ORIGINAL: Nitro Pop

ok my only demands are 4x4, offroad, and ''above-average'' to ''indestructable'' quality, LIMIT $450 USD
Old 08-29-2012, 05:51 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

get the LX2e then its probably the closest thing you will get in your price range to what you want.

But NOTHING is indestructible...
Old 08-29-2012, 06:39 PM
Nitro Pop

ok how bout this, i figured i want a 1/8 buggy, what is THE MOST DURABLE modern (newer than 2008) 1/8 electric buggy?
Old 08-29-2012, 08:28 PM
celica49

Theres only 3 RTR electric buggies that I am aware of. The LX2E, The Inferno Ve Race Spec (my personal choice) and the Losi Eight E (way above budget) The LX2E is a great buggy, and has a lot of aftermarket back up. The Kyosho Inferno Ve is essentially a "budget" model of the MP7.5 turned electric, and can be had for $450, but you will need batteries. It does come stock with an Orion Brushless ESC and motor, and a decent 2.4 radio. Just like any RTR though there will be weak points (servos being pretty universally bad across all RTRs, and in the case of the Inferno, the shock towers. I have a set of King Headz shock towers on the way, which should eliminate the issue, but again, something to consider.

Another option may be the ARR Ofna Nexx8. The chassis runs $250, and all you need is motor, ESC, Radio and Servos, which you can get some starter stuff, and move up from there as your budget allows.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:14 PM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: celica49

Theres only 3 RTR electric buggies that I am aware of. The LX2E, The Inferno Ve Race Spec (my personal choice) and the Losi Eight E (way above budget) The LX2E is a great buggy, and has a lot of aftermarket back up. The Kyosho Inferno Ve is essentially a ''budget'' model of the MP7.5 turned electric, and can be had for $450, but you will need batteries. It does come stock with an Orion Brushless ESC and motor, and a decent 2.4 radio. Just like any RTR though there will be weak points (servos being pretty universally bad across all RTRs, and in the case of the Inferno, the shock towers. I have a set of King Headz shock towers on the way, which should eliminate the issue, but again, something to consider.

Another option may be the ARR Ofna Nexx8. The chassis runs $250, and all you need is motor, ESC, Radio and Servos, which you can get some starter stuff, and move up from there as your budget allows.
Good post. I think that either the [link=http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_44_1258/products_id/209045/n/OFNA-Ultra-LX-2E-Electric-1-8-Off-Road-Buggy]LX2e kit[/link] (with the same electrics I linked above) or RTR and some batteries, or the [link=http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_44_1258/products_id/188673/n/OFNA-Nexx8-Electric-1-8-Off-Road-Buggy]Nexx8 roller[/link] as celica49 suggested, both are cheap rollers which represent great value. You can't go wrong with either.

Bearin mind though, if you buy a kit and employ the electrics I linked above, you will immediately have a much better setup than any RTR for not a lot more money. Good electrics are worth the investment. The electrics I linked above will allow you to run 6S if you should choose to exercise your right to utter madness. If you've not seen or driven a 1/8th car on 6S electric, you are in for a shock and a treat, the power delivery is visceral.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:59 PM
lez1troubles

VISCERAL, what on earth does that mean???
Old 08-30-2012, 01:09 AM
celica49

It means pull the trigger, poop your pants haha.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:34 AM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: lez1troubles

VISCERAL, what on earth does that mean???
www.dictionary.com

In this context it means 'gut-wrenching' literally, but really it's just a more interesting way of saying it's mental. I like to use nice words.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:35 AM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: celica49

It means pull the trigger, poop your pants haha.
Better than the dictionary definition.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:19 AM
DieHarder

Go pick up a Traxxas Summit. It's 4x4, Not 1/8 but 1/10 (Bout the size of 1/8), off-road, waterproof, and practically indestructable.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:24 AM
JH313

Throwing another idea out there, look at OFNA's Short Course trucks. It is as durable as a tank, great for bashing and one of the hottest styles of off-road-racing out there right now. I have the hyper 10sc nitro RTR and the only weak link would be the steering servo, but not by much. I have flipped this truck multiple times, and been run over by other trucks a few times. While I haven't raced it, it bashes great.
Just my opinion.
JH313
Old 08-30-2012, 10:50 AM
xDIRTYSOUTHx

Old 08-30-2012, 11:56 AM
Nitro Pop

ok last question, budget aside, what is THE MOST DURABLE 1/8 buggy newer than 2008?
Old 08-30-2012, 12:05 PM
Foxy

Xray XB9 if nitro, XB808e if electric.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.