Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Volcano EXP Pro vs. Caldera 10E

Old 08-30-2012, 03:33 AM
Keldar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volcano EXP Pro vs. Caldera 10E

For those of you in the know. How do the Volcano EXP Pro and Caldera 10E monster trucks compare to each other? I'm looking for comparisons in terms of features, performance, reliability, parts support, upgrades, etc. I know the specs on paper, but your experience is what I'm interested to hear.

Thanks.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:26 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Volcano EXP Pro vs. Caldera 10E

ORIGINAL: Keldar

For those of you in the know. How do the Volcano EXP Pro and Caldera 10E monster trucks compare to each other? I'm looking for comparisons in terms of features, performance, reliability, parts support, upgrades, etc. I know the specs on paper, but your experience is what I'm interested to hear.

Thanks.
ive owned both.
I prefer the volcano.
Its a bit faster out of the box, as it has a 540 size motor and not a finned out 380 like the caldera's.
The volcano is also a bit smaller, and lighter.

The caldera does have alittle bit tougher drivetrain tho.

Both trucks have plenty of alloy upgrades availible.

So, the caldera is a tad more durable....but the volcano is a bit faster. Either is a good truck for the money. There arnt any other 4wd brushless rtr trucks for under $200 availible.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:35 PM
NewRageRC
My Feedback: (1)

I can't offer any direct experience as I don't have either, but what I DO have a Backdraft 8E, which shares most parts with the Caldera, and my dad and neighbor both have Volcanos. I've been looking at 1/10 buggies and wondering the same thing as you.

The Backdraft is much heavier duty than the Volcano. In some ways this is a good thing (tougher dogbones and axle stubs, etc) but the extra weight (which is quite a bit) means it still breaks just as much anyway. The Caldera is surely a bit lighter than that but heavier than a Volcano. The Volcano seems more fragile while the Backdraft seems more overweight. Despite the fragile nature, though, the Volcanos and my Lightning can stand up to an awful lot, and my Lightning seems almost bulletproof.

If I had it to do over I would probably have ordered a Caldera instead of the Backdraft. But it would have been close.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:41 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: NewRageRC

I can't offer any direct experience as I don't have either, but what I DO have a Backdraft 8E, which shares most parts with the Caldera, and my dad and neighbor both have Volcanos. I've been looking at 1/10 buggies and wondering the same thing as you.

The Backdraft is much heavier duty than the Volcano. In some ways this is a good thing (tougher dogbones and axle stubs, etc) but the extra weight (which is quite a bit) means it still breaks just as much anyway. The Caldera is surely a bit lighter than that but heavier than a Volcano. The Volcano seems more fragile while the Backdraft seems more overweight. Despite the fragile nature, though, the Volcanos and my Lightning can stand up to an awful lot, and my Lightning seems almost bulletproof.

If I had it to do over I would probably have ordered a Caldera instead of the Backdraft. But it would have been close.
the lightning is tough. It shares most of the same parts with the tornado and volcano, but due to the smaller tires (rotating mass) and shorter suspension travel it takes less abuse when it crashes or flips.

On the volcano, most likely parts to break are rear hubs, "C" hubs, dogbones. Dogbone breakage can be limited if you shim them with nitro fuel tubing in the drive cups. Hub breakage can be limited by using the camber link holes closest to the base of the hub.

When you do the above to the volcano, its a fairly durable rig. And if you also buy the program card for the ESC and turn down the punch control and lower the initial braking force then the drivetrain will also hold up better (same goes for the caldera, as it has the same ESC as the volcano)

The backdraft is a beast. I regret selling mine. Never liked models that require 2 batteries to run, but that thing was fast and handled very well.
The following users liked this post:
michealgong (04-18-2023)
Old 08-30-2012, 05:00 PM
Dads like rc too

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would have said the same as the posts above. You really can't go wrong with either. To me, the larger size of the Caldera which is basically a shrunk down earthquake is what makes it stand out. I also think it can handle a little more abuse than the Volcano. The only thing that I really don't like about the Volcano is having 8 shocks. If you like to make changes to your suspension, 8 shocks is a hassle to me when it comes time for fluid changes or just maintenance in general.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:16 AM
NewRageRC

OT, but I had to share. My Backdraft has been in pieces for a few months (been WAY too busy with work). I put a set of street tires and a taller pinion on it and had it running up and down the street. The tires made it oversteer like crazy the way it was set up. The last time down, it was heading toward the side of the street but I didn't want to over correct and spin in to the mailbox, so I turned REALLY gently. Too gently, apparently. The rear tire just caught my mailbox at 50mph+ and tore the whole thing in half. I still haven't inspected very well, but it looks like the 4 screws that hold the rear diff on were sheared and everything else is fine.

And nitro hit it on the head, it was the rear c-hubs that broke on both Volcanos. My dad also shredded a pinion at some point.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:09 AM
Keldar

This has been very good information. Thanks for your responses.

I have been wanting a 4wd 1/10th brushless vehicle with good ground clearance for general bashing/grass running. I have been trying to determine whether it is worth it in the long run to pay a ridiculous amount of money (which I don't have) for a Traxxas Stampede, or buy something I can better afford like a Volcano/Caldera 10E with the hopes that I don't end up needing to spend too much in replacing broken parts over time.

I am thinking that all basher vehicles break stuff. I would have to break (and replace) a ton of parts on a Volcano or Caldera 10e to ever justify spending the crazy money it would take to outfit myself with a Stampede 4wd.....only to have it break stuff too. Waterproof electronics are nice in the Stampede, but for a $200 savings up front, I could just go around puddles.

Thoughts?
Old 08-31-2012, 08:24 AM
NewRageRC

Well, we all came to the same conclusion. The occasional puddle isn't going to kill a Volcano, just don't soak it. And you're right, all bashers are going to break parts. Buy extras whenever you order parts and you should be happy.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:41 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

my volcano wasnt affraid of alittle water or snow...lol
Saran wrapped the whole center of the chassis.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNmv9PkyHus[/youtube]

I have owned a stampede 4x4. The waterproof is indeed nice. The stampede is far more tippy than the caldera or volcano. Its got a much higher CG.
The Stampede will snap driveshafts, chew up spur gears and such. Nothing terrible, but will need repairs like any basher.

If you setup a volcano as I did, then it will hold up pretty well. Heck, in the vid above my friends slash 4x4 chews a spur gear. The amount of money spent initially doesnt always result in less money spent in repairs/parts. Its more about how we maintain and setup our models.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:40 PM
PetRock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Volcano does have more aluminum hopup parts but all the components are less beefy than on the Caldera. The core bits of the Caldera are also used on the 1/8th and 1/6th Redcat models so it comes with things like M5 driveshafts and all metal diffs (and replacements are cheap). - it's also trivial to switch to 17mm hubs if you want to run 1/8th buggy/truggy/MT tires.

The 380-motor-in-finned-540 can brushless motor is a bit weak: many people swap in a cheap Tacon from HobbyPartz (but larger motors can be wedged in there too )

Old 04-04-2020, 06:49 AM
Kjanora10

Default Which is faster

What are the top speed of the stock Caldera 10e and stock Volcano epx pro. I want to get which ever one is faster out of the box. Also what upgrades are available to make the the faster?