Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

H9 Jackal 50 Prop Jet

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

H9 Jackal 50 Prop Jet

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 01:47 AM
djay

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: H9 Jackal 50 Prop Jet

Well my Jackal finally came to grief.
Took off banked left and it just did its own thing.
Hitting the sand at full power does not leave a lot left of an ARTF.

Found the r/x switch was doggy, had a high resistance and when I put an input in there was no power to the servos, ok on the ground before the flight.

Still had a long stint with it.
I have another in a box, so will build that up soon and try again. Need to make this on go a lot faster.

Darryl
Old 07-15-2012, 08:42 AM
jet22b

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Darry,
Sorry to hear about your Jackal. Flew my Jackal yesterday and on the last flight of the day I almost lost her. She was doing things that was not my input, so I landed her and found out that the battery cable was not in tight with the switch cable. It was end just enough to make things seem normal, but a little shaking was making it come out. Pack everything up and went home. Now I am in my workshop going over every plane in my hangar and making sure this will not happen again!!
Rebuild my friend and get back into the air soon.
Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 07-20-2012, 04:41 AM
Headhunter70

Morning Gentlemen.

Had a bad landing couple of month ago with my jackal due to Transmitter problems. Finally after a new pair of wings have arrived I am back flying the Jackal. Problem now I am not getting the same RPM with my Jett .56 anymore...on the ground I am close to 16200 used to be at 17.800...nothing has changed same glow, same fuel, same prop 9x8...are these engines sensitive to weather ? Having hot summer now 30 degress with high humidity ..would that explain the 10 % loss in RPM ???

cheers for now
Gordon
Old 07-20-2012, 06:06 AM
BiggerDanno

Rusty bearings?
Old 07-20-2012, 06:54 AM
ger56

We all have the same issue Hot air , less density , I am loosing about 10% mini on my RPM .

Ger56
Old 08-01-2012, 12:45 PM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Theres a lot to read here,

I really wanted one of these when they first came out but I wanted to give the bird some time for otheres to figure out the bugs.

So what you say.

Would you build another?

How fast are you guys able to get this bird? I really like my modded Rife at 140+ but is just to small.

What has becoume the best motor option?

Old 08-01-2012, 02:05 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

At our club we have had three of these. two crashed and one almost crashed but had a good pilot that was able to save it. one folded the wing, the second pilot error i think as it stalled down low. the other one had the wing break on it but was able to land it. the wing broke just outside the wing tube.

How many have had a wing fail in flight. of those failures how many had a high performance engine ie: jett 56 evo 60 or 55 AX and Jett muffler?
Old 08-01-2012, 02:44 PM
jet22b

Hi Guys,
I am on my second Jackal 50 and love it. Read back in the thread and you will find how I lost my first Jackal 50!! This is the first time I heard about wings failer in-flight on this bird and I am running a Evo 60 with a Jett pipe!! The only problem I had with both bird, was with the canopy/hatch, was not tight when it was put into place. I put water proof tape on the bottom of the hatch that made a better seal when the canopy/hatch was put in place. I flew my Jackal this past weekend and it was a blast. One thing I will say, this plane will bite you if you don't stay ahead of it!! Will I buy another Jackal if this bite the dirt. You bet your "A" I will!!!
Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 08-01-2012, 08:55 PM
djay

Never had a problem with my jackel and it was abused, untill the switch failed after takeoff.
I have a second one ready to build but it is waiting untill I finish my other projects.
If you slow it down, it flies like a trainer, even at speed it is very easy to fly.
But my Multiplex dogfighter is faster and more reponsive, rolls about 3 rolls a second with unlimited vertical.

I had the Jett 56 in my jackel and found it to slow for me, so will look into seeing what is available to increase the speed, even though evryone said it was fast.

never heard of any structural failures before, were the two which had wing failure built by the same person?
This is not a bank and yank aircraft or 3d aircraft but needs to be flown smoothly with big wide turns , to get the best out of it.

Darryl

Old 08-03-2012, 06:18 PM
hrdflite

what is a patriat?
Old 08-04-2012, 06:42 AM
tlj125
My Feedback: (1)

A small rodent that consumes balsa.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:39 AM
pablojaime

ORIGINAL: hrdflite

what is a patriat?
If you mean to Patriot? was a Great Planes Kit, also very fast plane.

Changed the Black tuned pipe for the Jett Muffler, in my Rossi 53, but didn't feel any changes and the Turnigy RPM counter also don't show any raise in RPM.
so next is to go down in prop to 9X9 from 10X9.
Where I fly, I'm the only one with Jackal, so i also didn't ear about wing folding or wing failure...

Pablo.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq48546.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	1790934   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk30841.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	1790935  
Old 08-13-2012, 02:13 PM
funflyerf4
My Feedback: (6)

I stopped counting but well over 125 flights now,I have just went through another set of motor mounts.Has any one tried a metal set?And if so whos mount.I have orderd 2 sets this time from horrizon.My cowling is starting to look pretty bad also so got two of them too.Has any on put some clear over the paint?All in all the plane still flys great.

Frank
Old 08-14-2012, 08:14 PM
Captainkirk757

Hello everyone. I just joined and this is my first time and post on here. I saw these interesting comments through searching for pictures of the Jackal 50 and decided to join. I haven't read all the threads. I bought my Jackal 50 and got it 2 weeks ago. I did my maiden flight this past sunday and it was really great. I installed an O.S 75 AX in mine and used the Eflite retracts. I did the first flight using a 10 x10 prop but I am going to go with a bigger prop because the rpms are high and it is not accelerating as fast as the Pheonix Tucano that I had this engine in. Last night I ordered 11 x 10, 11 x 11 and 11 x 12 props to experimen with to get more thrust. I am probably the only one with such a big engine but I had some challenges, only with the engine mount, but I got through them. The plane is just over 9 lbs and it is solid as a rock in the air. This is my first jet. I have uploaded some photos that I took 3 days before first flight. If you have any questions on my installation feel free to do so. I will update you on the new prop selection and which one works best with this engine.

Name:	Ig11744.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	1792091   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32136.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	1792092  
Old 08-30-2012, 10:11 AM
cjshaker

Got back to working on my Jackal 50 last night, and one of the Robart main gear is defective from the factory. One of the main gear is missing at least one part, the back stop rod that stops movement of the trunion at 90 degrees. It may also be missing other parts, because it does not seem to want to lock at 90 degrees, either. Also, several of the Torx screws are loose. Appears that this main gear was shipped before it was done, and before it was inspected.

I left a message with Robart about it, and haven't heard anything back from them about it yet.

Chris Shaker
Old 08-30-2012, 10:35 AM
jet22b

Chris,
I hope Robart take care of the gear problem for you. Hope to take my Jackal out this weekend and have some fun. Please let us know if Robart take care of you!!
Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 08-31-2012, 02:05 PM
cjshaker

My LHS, D's Hobbies, in Bend, is going to get it replaced for me. Note that the Jackal 50 is currently on sale for $240 at Horizon Hobbies. My LHS can also get it for me at that price

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/jackal-50-HAN4880

Not sure if it will just be a spare, or become an electric powered beast!

Chris Shaker

ORIGINAL: cjshaker

Got back to working on my Jackal 50 last night, and one of the Robart main gear is defective from the factory. One of the main gear is missing at least one part, the back stop rod that stops movement of the trunion at 90 degrees. It may also be missing other parts, because it does not seem to want to lock at 90 degrees, either. Also, several of the Torx screws are loose. Appears that this main gear was shipped before it was done, and before it was inspected.

I left a message with Robart about it, and haven't heard anything back from them about it yet.

Chris Shaker
Old 09-01-2012, 01:43 AM
cjshaker

Worked on the Jackal again this evening. Opened up the air accessories bag that contained the air control valve. The air control valve is missing the nuts that you use to mount it. Seems it was a bad day for quality control at Robart when they packaged up this gear.

Chris Shaker

ORIGINAL: cjshaker

Chris Shaker

Name:	Ay74806.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	195.0 KB
ID:	1797162  
Old 09-01-2012, 02:07 AM
cjshaker

Decided to use two servos on the elevator for strength, since this a 160 mph airplane. I mounting a second S3152 for the elevator. The kit comes with a pushrod that controls both halves of the elevator with one servo, but they also made the kit support two elevator servos. Got it installed, and there is no binding!

Name:	Vt58145.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	1797165  
Old 09-03-2012, 10:52 AM
Joshy4u2

So after reading this entire thread, I am convinced that I want a Jackal and I want it to be fast. The problem is I fly out of a field with a 100db sound limit and it looks like the evo60 with the Jett pipe will blow past that. Any recommendations on an engine and prop combo that will keep the speed up but the sound down under 100db?  Thanks

Josh
Old 09-03-2012, 11:38 PM
cjshaker

I don't know how much noise the brushless electric versions of the Jackal makes, but it is faster than the Jett 56 with pipe. I think they were talking about 180 mph with their electric Jackal 50

Chris Shaker
Old 09-04-2012, 07:26 AM
Joshy4u2

I thought about an electric setup but I do not have any gear to support an electric plane.  I have always been a glow flyer.  Perhaps this is what changes it, but that is another investment that I would need to make on top of getting the plane and all of its accessories.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:24 AM
103/17

Just finishing my jackal and I have had several build issues. Its not as nice as the Showtime 50s I have assembled. 1st issues was the wings didnt fit the fuse at all.......the alignment pegs didnt line up and would have required some major carving. I called in and got a new fuse as that was determined to be the problem, the new one only needed minor refitting to make it work. 2nd was the elevator control horns ( threaded ends ) hit the fuse frame inside when the tail piece is mounted to the fuse. I have to relieve them so that things work properly. 3rd the spinner backplate isnt true and causes a fairly significant "wobble" when the engine is hand propped so I just contacted Horizon and they are sending me a new spinner. Im not sure its not both the Evo 60 having the thrust washer being knurled and the spinner back plate being knurled. Two knurled surfaces being mated together isnt a very good scenario for a true turning spinner. I will have to see how the new one works out. 4th is a hardware shortage, no screws for the servo hatch covers....? It is a nice looking plane, the retracts went in well, I used Robart "spring air" single line units. The tank went in nice, lots of room for radio components. The cowl is a really tight fit. Really tight. I ended up removing the head to fit and install the cowl, not sure what everyone else did but that worked well for me.........cant wait to fly it.

103/17
Lancaster NH
Old 09-04-2012, 12:34 PM
Sygy00

I had similar issues with my Jackal. Had to cut the fuselage framing to clear the elevator horns, and then add some ply strips higher up to regain the necessary strength. I also had to slightly oval the fuselage pin holes so the wings would fit. I would also suggest that you throw out all of those dinky little screws and upsize all to #4 sheetmetal screws as those small screws will not hold for long. I stripped out most of them because you can't even feel when they tighten up.

Although the plane is indeed fast, I find that mine will high speed snap roll to the left if I pull too hard in a turn (and not all that hard). I tried to use a wing incidence meter to see if I had a warped or misaligned wing, but so far I don't see it. This makes it hard to fly at speed since all I can do is a fast pass followed by a very long radius turn with very careful use of elevator. Fast is cool, but after a few passes I want to do more.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:55 PM
103/17

Are you running the elevator throw over the recommended deflection ? That will cause a high speed snap just like in a scale P-51 ! Thats experience talking.......lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.