Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

NEW H9 P51 Mustang 60 ARF

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

NEW H9 P51 Mustang 60 ARF

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 10:10 AM
abrose601

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: NEW H9 P51 Mustang 60 ARF

hey guys,i'm having a brain fart. i can't remember the formula on how to figure out where cg line is on your wing.i am balancing a 60 size p51 mustang.the owner bought it used but never flown.it has a os.91 4stroke & wing span is 61.5.the currant owner put cg at 4.75" & added 17.5oz of wieght to nose to balance.oh! he no paper work.thanks,abrose601
Old 07-10-2012, 10:29 AM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Jason, EXCELLENT job on the cockpit....was confused at first thinking it was the full scale pictures!
Old 07-10-2012, 01:26 PM
BreakingPoint
My Feedback: (2)

Well, the firewall broke loose on mine this past weekend. Was flying and came in for a landing and noticed the entire front half hangin down. The firewall broke loose, nearly in half. I quess the glue they are using is not good stuff. I epoxed it back together and am waiting to take it out for a test flight.
By the way, here is a video of her, taken a few months ago.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhsMo...e_gdata_player
Old 07-13-2012, 09:15 AM
jorgy-Delta

Maiden flight.
Kit is from 1st batch from Horizon, just got around it this year.
Overall experience: 8 out 10
1 issue: Retract support area not enough glue, no glue in important area(s)
-
-7 ch. 2.4 setup ( ailerons mixed ) y-harness; flaps & gear.
-Saito FG20 w/ keleo exhuast, 16x6 apc
plan to try 15x7, Keleo exhaust robbed about 200rpm
(stock Saito 8600rpm, ground)
-2x 6v 2700ma, NiMh
-throws as per adendum. Rudder at high settings for both low & high rates.
see horizon site for correct throws, original manual wrong.
-Balance set by moving batteries. No wgts used.
-Flaps set on 1 sec delay & slowed about 60% ( digital is so great ! )

Mods/changes:
-Firewall re epoxied
-tail wheel changed to Dubro scale 90-120 size.
pull/pull on tailwheel
-Fuel tank change to 11oz, moved rearward about 2-1/2 inches.
-CG set at 4-1/2", w/ very slight nose down
-Flaps set to 1/8" down
-Ailerons set 1/16" up

*forgot to reinforce retracts..

Take off:
4-5 mph headwind, 75 F, low humidity
Allowed 300' of field.
Flaps up. Rates low.
Slow,slow steady application to throttle, tail up quickly guessing 5 mph, slight pull started to left just after that, easily corrected and maintianed with slight rudder. Light on gear about 15 mph, rotation at about 20 mph, slightly past 1/2 throttle.
So about 175' of field used. Kept it level and straight easily, climb at about 30 degrees, 3/4 throttle. Raised gear, no change in flight. Shallow bank to left, tad bit rudder and elevator...smooth turn, no issues.
Trim out, 3-4 clicks right aileron, 3-4 clicks nose down.
2-3 mid throttle-3/4 throttle passes. Steady and tracking like a bullet. Full throttle pass- slight climb as expected.
Pulled a few hard turns, 70 degree bank, 3/4 on elevator stick, pressure on rudder just slight prior to elevator, smooth sharp and tracked well, nose remained level, no sign of stall or snap out.

Landing, full flaps. Dropped in from 100' out & 100' up, chopped throttle to idle plus a couple clicks, nice smooth approach, no wobble (signs of stall), nice easy descent rate. Applied a little throttle to stretch landing on main only touch down, propably a little below 20mph.
Very stable & smooth.

Right landing gear tore out maybe 10' into roll out...VERY VERY WEAK, as touch down was not hard at all. ( I forgot to reinforce it as mentioned in this forum ) aaarrrggggg.

Conclusion: Fly it like a warbird should be for take off & landing. She is very scalish for sure. Slow easy throttle, use your rudder. Keep your climb out steady and straight.
Allow yourself a nice slow long approach. Fly it all the way, gently on low. Matter of fact, don't even bother with high rates ( except rudder for taxi reasons) Keep it scale.

Wonderful flyer, once tweaked!
Old 07-13-2012, 12:07 PM
jet22b

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

jorgy-Delta,
Thanks for the flight report!! Now I see they are back in-stock, I may have to pick up another one.
Thanks again for the flight report!!
Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 07-21-2012, 07:01 AM
zzcutter

I have been looking to get The hangar 9 p-51 blue nose, but have read so many negitive things about the plane. I see that it is back in stock with horizon again and was wondering if any body has gotten one of the new ones and how do you like it thanks zz
Old 07-21-2012, 02:30 PM
Merlin Man

Why not get the ESM P51?. It's better than the Hanger 9 one in my opinion.

Cheers
Merlin Man.

Old 08-27-2012, 07:02 PM
F-16WpnsTech

Need a canopy for this bird and wondering if anyone has one they'll let go. Thanks.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:15 PM
zds1

Please resist the urge to curse, flame, degrade, insult or embarrass someone in your post. We encourage the free flow of your ideas, but believe that they can be communicated (and received) much more effectively if you keep things civil. If you have to vent, take it offline. We carefully monitor posts and will ban individuals who engage in offensive conduct within the forums. Thanks.!! (RCU Policies)

Old 09-01-2012, 05:05 AM
juweeltje

@Merlin man, perhaps for the better (blue) looks ?
Old 09-01-2012, 05:45 AM
juweeltje

why is everyone flying with a EXPENCIVE saito Fg-20/21 , while you can use a much cheaper dle-20, is it for the keleo exhaust?
now i'm flying a BHM , trojan t-28, for my 3th plane im considering this H9 p51 blue noise, but i read a lot of negative comment about this plane......should i buy a top flite ????i like the color theam blue noise....
Old 09-01-2012, 10:52 AM
BreakingPoint

The DLE 20 is a very nice motor. My only concern would be the CG with that motor. I have a saito 125 in mine and it balances perfectly. I think with the dle you would come in too nose heavy. Otherwise it would be a good motor for it. I really enjoy mine. I think both the hangar 9 and the top flite are both great airplanes that have their share of issues. What plane doesn't.

Old 09-01-2012, 12:47 PM
juweeltje

the DLE20 is NOTheavier than the fg-21 infect its 66 grams / 2.32 oz lighter !

dle-20 weigth 820Gr / 28,88oz :

engine 650grams
muffler 50 grams
ignition 120 grams

FG-21 weight 886GR / 31.2 oz:

engine 690grams
muffle 83 grams
ignition 113 grams

Old 09-01-2012, 03:48 PM
BreakingPoint

I stand corrected. In that case, give it a try. It will have gobbs of power. Should fly nice.
Old 09-02-2012, 01:46 AM
juweeltje

but how she flies now?
good or bad?
I like the looks, but is this kit that bad as some say here?

i fly now a BHM trojan t-28...whould this be a great successor???
Old 09-02-2012, 06:45 PM
BreakingPoint

I’m been meaning to do a write-up on this bird for a while. So here we go. This is a very nice airplane with lots of new upgrades from Hangar 9.
The Pros:
- New all metal retracts. As far as I’m concerned, these are the best retracts I’ve ever seen. All aluminum construction with working struts to absorb any hard landings. These retracts are so strong, I believe you could destroy the airplane and the retracts would be in perfect working order. No more messing around with the mechanical retracts. Simply install the servos and drop them in. They are TOP-NOTCH!
- The new printed covering is very nice. I had almost no wrinkles in mine. The scale detail with this covering is unbelievable. See below in the Cons.
- The overall color scheme is also very nice.
- The tail surface is air foiled and very scale.
- Has a scale tail wheel that looks very nice. See the Cons.
- This is the first H9 mustang that was designed to be flown with either Glow, Gas, or Electric. It has a nice large hatch on top that is perfect for swapping out batteries. In my case, I found it was nice for plugging up all the servo wires while the airplane is in the upright position.
- The flaps are very scale and very nice on the bird. However, it I had my choice, I would have designed it with just a single flap servo instead of two. Just to save weight. Otherwise, these are top notch Flaps.
- The fit and finish of the bird is also Top-Notch. Everything just looks RIGHT and Scale!
- The instructions are also very good and detailed.

The Cons:
- While the covering is very nice and I placed this in the Pro category, the down side of having this printed covering is that if you tear your coving, a simple patch is not easy. You would need to buy the covering from H9 and it’s terribly expensive. If you are hard on an airplane and need to make frequent covering repairs, this is probably not the plane for you.
- While the tail wheel is nice and scale, it’s a little on the flimsy side. I’ve not had any issues with mine, but it is a little wobbly and I would like for it to be stronger. Also, I had a hard time getting the tail wheel installed in the small access through the fuselage.
- The wood. What can I say, the wood is not Top Notch. I found the wood and glue joints to be weak. During the build I ended up breaking a few of the smaller access panels and such due having weak glue joints and poor wood. In fact, after approximately by 20th flight with a Saito 125, the entire firewall started separating!!! This was very scary. I was able to re-epoxy the firewall and have not had any issues since. This might have just been a fluke, but I was very disappointed. I’ve owned many Hangar 9 airplanes and have flow the CRUD out of them and I’ve never had this issue with any them.
- The cowling is very nice and scale, however I would prefer the design like the TopFlite. TopFlite has the half cowling, where the bottom half is removable and the top half is actually part of the fuselage. The TopFlite design just looks better and more scale as it has smoother lines. Also, you can remove the TopFlite cowling to work on the motor without having to remove the prop and muffler. With the H9, you have to remove all these items to work on the motor.

Flight summary:
- This bird flys just like the scale bird. Heavy! She has a heavy wing loading and you must continue to FLY this bird at all times. Never attempt to slow her down and GLIDE her. This is not like most of the earlier H9 birds that are light and can be flown like a sport plane. This is NOT a sport plane. If you attempt to use too much elevator at slow speeds, or attempt to glide her in on a landing without power, or yank violently on the elevator at any speeds, she WILL STALL. This is exactly what the real airplane will do. She is not a glider. Most of the people who crash this plane simply treat it like a light sport plane and get her going too slow and she stalls and crashes. When I fly this plane I’m always very aware of the wing loading and therefore I never put her into a situation where she slows down too much. On landing, you must keep a small amount of power on all the way in until just before touchdown. You must fly it in all the way. If you are a pilot that is not proficient in making faster, power on landing, this bird could be a bit too much for you. Once she’s in the air, she flies just like any airplane and does wonderful scale maneuvers. Just remember not to pull aggressively on the elevator. One interesting finding, she will do an accelerated stall just like the real plane. When she does stall, it’s fairly uneventful, just drops straight down and pulls out as soon as some speed is achieved.
- Ground handling is very stable with those all metal retracts. No wobble like most birds with retracts. With a full tank of fuel she can be a touch nose heavy when on the ground. Just remember to use a little up elevator until the speeds are up so she doesn’t try to nose over, especially on grass.
- The bird just looks GREAT in the air. As scale looking as any mustang I’ve ever seen.
- I used the Saito 125 with an APC 15X8 and 15% nitro. She has plenty of speed and good vertical. See my attached YouTube video. http://youtu.be/YhsMoj3RMEY..
TopFlite Vs. H9:
- I debated this for a long time and ended up going with the H9 because of the retracts and option to go electric with the H9 would be easier, due to the top hatch. I think they are both excellent airplanes. Both have some issues. I’ve never flown the TopFlite, so I can’t really say how it flies.
Well there’s my 2 cents worth.
Enjoy!
Old 09-03-2012, 07:47 AM
juweeltje

thanks for scharing Breakingpoint.

your youtube links dosn't work !! its : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhsMoj3RMEY
Old 11-02-2012, 08:29 AM
bboytab

about to start the ARF build on this big boy and putting a DLE up front....can I use just one battery? meaning the ignition will get power from the receiver battery....
Old 11-02-2012, 12:02 PM
tailskid

I've only used 4.8v on the ignition system and my 2.4 rx needs a 6 volt source....I would think with lipo's today the added weight of one more battery shouldn't be a weight problem (if that is your concern).
Old 11-06-2012, 12:05 PM
bboytab

ORIGINAL: tailskid

I've only used 4.8v on the ignition system and my 2.4 rx needs a 6 volt source....I would think with lipo's today the added weight of one more battery shouldn't be a weight problem (if that is your concern).
What mAh did you use on the ignition? Im looking at this RCEXL Opto Engine Kill Switch, allows me to use 1 or 2 batts for both ignition and receiver.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:10 PM
tailskid

I believe it is an 1100mAh pack. I'm also using the Opto Kill Switch.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:01 PM
bboytab

btw, with the cowl on, what do you do with the choke to access it? i need acces to it when starting right?
Old 11-07-2012, 03:14 PM
tailskid

I have a 90-degree bellcrank that pulls the choke closed and when I push it in, the choke opens....I'll try and find the pictures that show how this is done. But in the meantime....take a look at this:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11...m.htm#11022345

Jerry
Old 11-09-2012, 06:44 PM
bboytab

Thanks! Btw, how do i hook up the landing gear to my receiver? I have an 8 channel radio and rcvr. Tried to follow the manual for a 7 channel setup, it says i only need 2 y harnesses. Now i used it both for the ailerons and the flaps. Do i need another y harness for the gear?
Old 11-09-2012, 09:28 PM
jet22b

ORIGINAL: bboytab

Thanks! Btw, how do i hook up the landing gear to my receiver? I have an 8 channel radio and rcvr. Tried to follow the manual for a 7 channel setup, it says i only need 2 y harnesses. Now i used it both for the ailerons and the flaps. Do i need another y harness for the gear?
bboytab,
You will need one more y harness and a 3 or 6" servo extension and hook it to ch5 on the rcvr. With the servo extension on the flaps, ailerons and gears make it smooth to install and remove the wings. Just remember to mark the extension so you can hook up the right control. I like to make small paper tabs with the name of the controls on the tab, ie flaps, ailerons and gear!!
I hope this help!!
BTW: Do they still have the horse track in Laurel?? I flew for a guy who had three horses that would run there back in the 80's.
Sonny
aka
jet22b

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.