Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

A4 Blue Angels info needed

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

A4 Blue Angels info needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 10:11 AM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default A4 Blue Angels info needed

Does anyone have any pics showing the inside of the air brake for the Blue Angels A4? I think its blue on the fuse and red on the brake. But I can't find any evidence of it other than a slight red edge on this one.

Thanks,
Andy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74449.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	1797577  
Old 09-02-2012, 10:45 AM
AFTERBURNER1
My Feedback: (80)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: A4 Blue Angels info needed

Looks like its blue..

[]

[]

[]
Old 09-02-2012, 03:24 PM
Jetpilot24
My Feedback: (21)

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Those are some great pics of the Blue angels A-4. Why is the nose wheel in the first pic 90 degrees to the fuse?

Joe
Old 09-02-2012, 06:33 PM
BOB MOORE

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I check with teammate of the A4 Teams and they said the plane was a doing a dirty roll on takeoff. That is a roll with gear down and flaps extended on takeoff.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:39 PM
John Redman
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmmmmm, nose gear 90 degrees to the left and the rudder is straight. Something is off in the photo.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:50 PM
John Redman

Andy, in checking all of my A-4 books I found that the original spec was gloss red for the interior of the speed brakes when the aircraft was painted in the original gloss grey top/gloss white bottom.

When the paint schemes went to the tactical scheme, flat grey all over the inside of the brakes was painted the same color as the outside of the aircraft.

I checked my books on the Blues and could not find one picture of the brakes open to verify color.

My first guess would be red.

Good luck on finishing the Scooter! don't forget to lock the leading edge slats up if you are doing the Blue Angel's variant as they locked the slats up on all aircraft.

Looking forward to seeing it when complete!
Old 09-02-2012, 06:52 PM
BOB MOORE

The info i got from A4 mechanic said both spoillers and bottom of flaps painted red. I hope that helps.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:56 PM
BOB MOORE

The info that I got from A4 mechanic is that both spoillers and bottom of flaps painted red, hope this helps. I was an Airframe Mechanic with the team 1952-54 with panthers ans Cutlasses 1952
Old 09-02-2012, 08:41 PM
skyhawknut
My Feedback: (3)

They are red on the inside.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:05 PM
skyhawknut

John - the nosewheel always did that during the dirty rolls. Watch any video of it and you'll see it. In fact it shows up good in the Van Halen dreams video.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:49 PM
AFTERBURNER1
My Feedback: (80)

Looks like blue and blue to me both inside and out.

[]
Old 09-03-2012, 05:02 AM
John Redman

Very interesting on the nose wheel rotating like that during the dirty roll.

I am guessing the real one must have had a castering nose gear allowing it to move like that. Ground steering by differential braking then.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:04 AM
JohnShe

The phantom II had a nose wheel steering button on the joystick. The wheel would caster freely unless the button was pressed, then hydraulic power would steer the nose wheel through the rudder pedal system. Perhaps the A4 also did the same thing. On carrier flight decks, they use a small boom handle attached to the nose wheel to steer the aircraft while it is being moved by a mule.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:58 PM
jzuniga
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: AndyAndrews

Does anyone have any pics showing the inside of the air brake for the Blue Angels A4? I think its blue on the fuse and red on the brake. But I can't find any evidence of it other than a slight red edge on this one.

Thanks,
Andy
Andy,

Is this one from the NA&S Museum? or from the Museum of Flight in Seattle? I know the MofF here in Seattle, has a real nice Blue Angel A4...

Z
Old 09-03-2012, 06:41 PM
Molar mender

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: jzuniga

ORIGINAL: AndyAndrews

Thanks,
Andy
Andy,

Is this one from the NA&S Museum? or from the Museum of Flight in Seattle? I know the MofF here in Seattle, has a real nice Blue Angel A4...

Z
Yes, I took the working photos for Andy at the M of F in Seattle. The individual I worked with was John L. Little, Assistant Curator & Research Team Leader, for the "The Museum of Flight". He was great to work with and it took a couple of sessions before the public came in, to get some good photos. But, unfortunately, that specific A-4 Skyhawk was on loan from the Navy and the Navy had some very specific rules concerning it being shown. I had to take photos, as is. We could use a ladder, and even rented a floor lift to get overhead shots. I was not permitted on the ladder or lift so I have to thank John for taking a lot of the overhead photos. I even talked John into going onto the overhead walkway to get some photos over the actual airframe. We just had to make sure the camera was fully strapped to John so it could not be dropped onto the Skyhawk. John explained that I could not open any access doors or move any surface on the airframe. I managed to crawl around under the airframe on the carpet and got some decent closeup of the bottom and the landing gear.
So that is the reason Andy is looking for the last little bits of info on the air brakes. I wish I could have been a little more aggressive on getting into the nooks and crannies of the airframe but did not want to wear out my welcome just in case someone else needs photos at the Museum. They were extremely accommodating and a personal thanks goes to John Little for his assistance.

Roy
Old 09-03-2012, 07:33 PM
jzuniga
My Feedback: (7)

Thanks Roy;-)

Z
Old 09-04-2012, 12:37 AM
skyhawknut

I'll see if I can dig through my attic tomorrow. I have some good pics of them - they are red.