Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

ESM 50cc Corsair

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 08:38 PM
stoat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ESM 50cc Corsair

Robert, thanks for that! Yeah, it looks like as with most WW2 aircraft, they were modded on the field so no 2 ended up the same! Makes it a pain to model a "generic" corsair!
So, I am basing mine on "8" that is based at Woodville air base in Masterton NZ. I have crawled all over this plane and have a stack of detail pics. At the time I did notice a flush light on the underside of both wings, so now that I know this is retractable, I will do the same. Seems now it is not a std feature and actually pretty rare! See post #1282 on this page.
Im pretty happy I am on the right track. Who knows, I might be modeling a Corsair that existed but was never documented...[&:]
Old 09-02-2012, 08:45 PM
ya33a

If you look at the wing fold joint you can see a glazed window, I'm not sure if it's the gun camera or the landing light cover...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85554.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	1797772  
Old 09-02-2012, 09:25 PM
stoat

ORIGINAL: ya33a

If you look at the wing fold joint you can see a glazed window, I'm not sure if it's the gun camera or the landing light cover...
Robert, from memory the right hand one is the gun camera and left side is landing light. No such lights in Number 8!

Cheers
Brett
Old 09-02-2012, 09:30 PM
ya33a

Hi,
Andrew here, Robert was the original poster of the info from 2005, I just found it and reposted it, there are lots of photos on the 1/6 scale Corsair build site, but they have goten bogged down with being exact scale and have rear landing gear, some mains, fuse sections and a few other things almost perfect, but unfortunately no finished planes. os of the gear would almost be a bolt on for the 85" ESM plane.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:33 PM
kwik

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: ya33a

Pretty sure that is a gun camera. On Stoat's plane it has probably been covered with alu; It most likely has no guns, and no camera.

But it probably did so in wartime. Would be a nice place to put a key-chain full HD video camera. Then you could take videos like this;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5fXb6PSK5c

It is, however, nicer, I think, to see the big nose of the Corsair on the video, so perhaps nicer with a replaceable head on the pilot;

At takeoff; Head or camera? You decide....
Old 09-03-2012, 02:46 AM
Mr_Grump

Thanks stoat. Good to know. Yea, I like the idea of bright landing lights as well. We fly off a private full scale runway. On one end it's heavily shaded by trees making it difficult at times to see the approaching model. I haven't gotten to the point of dressing up the bird, but hope to soon.

Looking forward to your solution....

Mr G
Old 09-03-2012, 10:10 AM
flyinucrazy
My Feedback: (107)

I have a new unopened cockpit kit from TY Planes if anyone is interested, 60.00 shipped
Tim
Old 09-03-2012, 12:57 PM
stoat

Andrew, sorry about that! So many names to remember! I will have to find that thread you are talking about. Always good to see what others are doing.

Cheers
Brett
Old 09-03-2012, 05:08 PM
ya33a

Hi GUys,

Here is the link to the first page of the 1/6 Corsair build, it has a lot of posts but worth spending an hour or so going thorough on a wet evening.....

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7335038/tm.htm

Old 09-03-2012, 06:03 PM
stoat

Chur Bro!
Old 09-03-2012, 06:49 PM
captainron

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK GUYS,
One of you did a post on the Robart Retracts and how you lenthened them to work on this Corsair. I'm done with the ESM ones and I mean done right now. I have a set of the Robarts and I remember stoat or Kiwk or somebody used them on their ESM Corsiar and they modified them (lenthened them some how to work.........

WHO WAS THAT BAD BOY AND WHAT PAGE WAS IT? I put the second flight on mine Sunday and the landing wasn't one of my normal better than average landings. Fighting a quartering crosswind, She was hot and I knew she was gonna run off the end of the runway. NOt good at our field. So, once she touched down, I started applying up elevator to try and get the tail down to help show her........NO WAY...SHE JUST TOOK OFF AGAIN....BAD DOG! THINGS WENT DOWN HILL FROM THERE. The second touch down wasn't that bad, but off on the dirt, both of the ESM retracts spun sidways and the Corsair did an endo.......not too bad, just a broken rudder and a broken prop. But I'm done with those gear.......

ANYBODY WANT 'EM? I'LL SELL 'EM CHEAP.............

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP GUYS,

CAPTAIN RON
Old 09-03-2012, 07:55 PM
stoat

T'was Kwik, and t'was on page 17.

My pleasure!
Old 09-03-2012, 10:18 PM
kwik

Captain Ron;

If your Corsair toppled over and damaged the rudder, your fin is probably broken in the root. On the inside that is.

If it is movable when trying to wiggle it, you need to put some fiberglass in the root, on the inside.

Otherwise, on the first flight after repairs you will have flutter....I know...the fin and rudder will be just a blue shadow up there....

Sorry to hear about the retract problems. To bad one has to struggle with such things.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:34 AM
alfa1023
My Feedback: (5)

Captain Ron -

You might want to give Doug at Robart a phone call about your existing Robart retracts and see if he can help you with them. I spoke with Doug earlier today and ordered a set of retracts for my Corsair to replace the ESM ones. Robart has put together a set of retracts that will fit our bird - they are still working on a slight modification to the mounting flange but that is something that we should be able to do ourselves. Doug was very familar with our Corsair and the "issues" with the ESM retracts.

I will be in the same boat as you as soon as I get the Robarts delivered and installed. I will be selling my ESM retracts and wheels - will post on here at that time.

Jim
Old 09-04-2012, 11:43 AM
mmflytie
My Feedback: (1)

Captain Ron:
Are you using 4 or 41/2" wheels? I got the large robart retracts and found them to fit very well with only some minor trimming of the gear bay compartment and I had to use plates to widen the mounting plate ( ESM opening is wider than robart foot.) I had to cut out some of the spare to allow for the shock absorber hinge bracket to fit. I can't imagine needing a longer strut than the one I have; I'm using a 41/2' wheel and it just barely fits inside bay. If most of you guys are using 4" wheels , I may switch. There is a nice set I saw that has the diamond tread, but I'd like to have a metal spoked wheel. Right now I have a metal wheel but it has 4 round holes in it. Not very scale

Marc
Old 09-04-2012, 06:20 PM
captainron

Thanks Stoat....

Thanks Kwik, I'll check the fin.

Thanks alfa, BUT...........If I don't use the Robarts I have, I'm gonna go with Sierrra.

mmflyite, I'm using the stock Wheels and tires that came with the retracts, I think their 4.5's

THANKS FOR THE FEEDBACK GUYS...........It's great to have some freinds to bounce things off of.

CAPTAIN RON

Old 09-04-2012, 06:32 PM
ya33a

Photos please guys...?
Old 09-04-2012, 07:15 PM
mmflytie
My Feedback: (1)

Okay:
Here is a photo

Marc

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50865.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	1798584   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc94015.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	1798585  
Old 09-04-2012, 07:36 PM
stoat

The std Corsair tire is 32 inch. This equates to 5.3 inch at 1/6 scale. I have used a 5 in tire as I cant stand models with undersize wheels! [:@] This is as big as you can fit in with a little modification (its real tight!) but means it doesnt look like a cheap chinese ARF (even though it is!)
So if you move your retracts as far forward as they will go it will fit in - just. Please PLEASE dont use little wee wheels! - pet hate!

As a side note, the reason we cant use 5 1/4 inch wheels is that the full size corsair leg compresses a bit as it retracts to allow it to fit inside the wing.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:39 PM
stoat

Oh yeah, I found a 3 view from Vought that shows the L.E windows labled. Right hand side is the Gun Camera, Left is the Approach light - for those that are modeling leading edge landing lights....

Yes, its the kind of awesome service I offer.....
Old 09-04-2012, 09:49 PM
kwik

I stiffened up the alu tube for the stab. While the stabs are in position, you can see the alu tube inside the fuse.

Smeared it in vaseline, cut a strip of fiber-glass and spiralled it onto the tube. Inside the fuse.

So now the tube is inside this new fiberglass tube inside the fuse.

Then tested for slop. It's the same! [:'(] The slop is inside the stabs !!! Arggh!
Old 09-05-2012, 06:18 AM
captainron

Stoat..........you crack me up.............I just love how passionate you are about these dang Warbirds..........

AND YES STOAT, JUST FOR YOU, I will be using the 5" Robart aluminum 10 spoke wheels with Dubro tires fitted to them for better grip.

mmflytie, thanks for the photo man, that really helps.

YOU GUYS ARE ALL AWESOME............I'M JUST SAYIN.........

CAPTAIN RON
Old 09-05-2012, 11:24 AM
alfa1023
My Feedback: (5)

Doug at Robart sent me a youtube video of the installation of their retracts. The video shows their electric retracts (I am staying with pneumatic) but it gives you an idea of how they fit and look.

http://youtu.be/ODcIOwCwg2M
Old 09-05-2012, 11:54 AM
stoat

ORIGINAL: captainron

Stoat..........you crack me up.............I just love how passionate you are about these dang Warbirds..........

AND YES STOAT, JUST FOR YOU, I will be using the 5'' Robart aluminum 10 spoke wheels with Dubro tires fitted to them for better grip.

mmflytie, thanks for the photo man, that really helps.

YOU GUYS ARE ALL AWESOME............I'M JUST SAYIN.........

CAPTAIN RON
Heh, yep I love my warbirds! And Helis. and imac planes - hell, anything that flys! [8D]

I was just thinking the other day how much modeling has changed in the last 20 years. Back when I started the only real contact you had with modelers was through the local club or magazines. The only inspiration to do bigger better models was your flying buddies or a once yearly trp to the Nationals. These days I am talking (well typing mainly) with guys from all over the world. I have built up relationships with a handfull of people over the last 5 years that I would have never even known had the net not been around. Some have even come over to NZ for a visit, and a couple I have caught up with in Auzzie. There have even been modelers within a couple of hundred K's from me that I have met through forums and got to know very well - good mates!
Some modelers (here in NZ at least) still think forums are a waste of time or refuse to contribute - just window shoppers... I have found you get out as much as you put in, and after being on a thread for long enough, you really get a unique sence of community.
So, thank you guys, for really helping inspire me to step my modeling up to the next level. Without this and a couple of other forums it would never have happened.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:59 AM
stoat

ORIGINAL: kwik

I stiffened up the alu tube for the stab. While the stabs are in position, you can see the alu tube inside the fuse.

Smeared it in vaseline, cut a strip of fiber-glass and spiralled it onto the tube. Inside the fuse.

So now the tube is inside this new fiberglass tube inside the fuse.

Then tested for slop. It's the same! [:'(] The slop is inside the stabs !!! Arggh!
AAAaaarrrgghhhh! I hate it when that happens! Time to smear the spar with thick CA then hit it with kicker. Then start wet sanding it down untill it fits snug again.

Unless something has come adrift inside your stabs? Fingers crossed!

Hold on, is it one side or both that are loose?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.