Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Spektrum DX18

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Spektrum DX18

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 03:25 AM
w4sm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Spektrum DX18

ORIGINAL: gooseF22

I'm not sure you can bind 2 dsmx rx. Definitely can bind 2 dsm2 tho. Lock the dx18 into dsm2 and bind rx at same time. See if that works
No problem at all with two DSMX receivers as long as they are the same for the other parameters I mentioned in my earlier post.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:37 PM
alasdair

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Am I right in thinking that, in the UK,all models above the 20 kg (44 lb) weight threshold (weighed without fuel) must have two Rx (or some kind of dual Rx system in a single box, like a Weatronic)?

If so, this is a very good reason for needing to bind two Rx to the same model memory in the Tx at the same time.

I am very glad to hear (from some of you at least) that it can be done. Is it best to bind one at a time, or both together?? And Why???

Must try it some time, now I've bought a second Rx.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:48 PM
w4sm

ORIGINAL: alasdair

I am very glad to hear (from some of you at least) that it can be done. Is it best to bind one at a time, or both together?? And Why???

Must try it some time, now I've bought a second Rx.
You need to do it one at a time. During the binding the Tx and Rx are exchanging information. If you have two Rx's trying to communicate with one Tx at the same time the data flow will get garbled and it won't work. The Tx needs to communicate with one Rx at a time.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:40 PM
alasdair

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

w4sm, Thanks for clarifying! I didn't know that binding was two-way.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:34 PM
zonker123
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just purchased a DX-18 this week with the primary intentions of getting the two jets I have currently flying onto something that is equipped with telemetry and getting everything converted from DMS2 to DSMX.

Here are some current observations. The DX-18 is not quite as comfortable to me as my 11x is. Its close but Ive been using the 11x for two seasons. It will take a little bit to get used to something different so thats not a big deal.

I like the telemetry, right now I have only the basic which is signal strength, fades and holds and RX battery level. just having some feedback on the RX battery condition and being able to set alarms for low RX batteries is worth what I paid. I fly Jet Central and was told there would be some telemetry for temp and RPM forth coming. The GPS logger will be good to have as it gives ground speed and might make it easier to find a downed plane lost in deep woods. (I speak from personal experience this yearAnd that all im going to say about that!)

I think setting up flight modes is a bit simpler than with the 11x, and u can have five if need them rather than 3.

Binding is super simple-not that is was hard with the 11x-its even simpler with the 18. The radio will automatically decide if the RX you are binding to is DSM2 or DSMX. No muss, no fuss.

NOW a couple of dislikes.

I really liked on the 11x being able to switch between function and system modes without having to cut the radio off and then turn it back on while pressing other buttons. Guess what? you have to turn the DX-18 off and turn it back on while holding the scroll roller down to get into System mode. Archaic

My other dislike-not being able to adjust both aileron and elevator in flap setup. Its elevator comp only. The 11x lets you do both in the flap menu. I know u can do a mix and set up to activate some aileron comp with the flap switch but UGHHHHH-2X Archaic and very disappointing. (if i have missed something and there is elev and aileron comp in the flap setting please, please let me know!!)

My initial outing with the DX-18 today was in a 60" EF Extra that has many flights with the 11x. I use flaperon mix with up elevator on high rates for doing harriers and knife edge spins. On the DX-18 i could not find flaperon anywhere in the mixing channel selection. Finally after the process of elimination-or selective guessing, your choice- I found that if you pick flaperon at the wing type selection and mix use ELEV as the master and LEFT Aileron as the slave I was able to achieve a flaperon mix with the elevator. Once again if someone knows something I don't, let me know.

I am flying my Torus with the 18 tommorow, Will let u know how it goes.

Take care
Mike
Old 08-29-2012, 12:05 PM
gooseF22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, its designed that way to do a mix with the elevator to the aux channel you have the aileron plugged into.. It just knows its flaperon because you didnt select ail channel... the trim still works too.. then put that mix on a switch or flt mode.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:43 PM
zonker123

ORIGINAL: gooseF22

Yes, its designed that way to do a mix with the elevator to the aux channel you have the aileron plugged into.. It just knows its flaperon because you didnt select ail channel... the trim still works too.. then put that mix on a switch or flt mode.

Yes thank you for confirming that. I went back into the manual and found an explanation of the very thing you state and I found by accident. Its termed "Back mixing" and is explained. Had I bothered to read the whole manual the first go round I would have known.

Haven't been able to put but one flight on the Torus since installing the DX-18 but it went off with out a hitch. The telemetry for the RX voltage and the recording of frame loss, fades and holds is something that is very reassuring. For a ten minute start-up to shut down flight my frame loses for the AR12000 RX with were 126,24,56, and 144, 0 fades, 0 holds.

mike

Old 08-30-2012, 05:34 AM
bcovish
My Feedback: (8)

I'm baffled on setting up crow with the DX18. If possible can someone post the steps on getting it done.

Thanks.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:08 AM
madmodelman

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Bob, I just did a mix FLP>LAL 1=0%
2=0%
3=43%
Switch=Flight Mode
Tick Box 3

Good starting point, just adjust Point 3 until you get the required up throw on ailerons (on landing flap),

Gary.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:24 AM
bcovish

Thanks Gary. I'll try it later today
Old 08-30-2012, 08:09 PM
DavidR
My Feedback: (1)

Bob-O if you don't get it setup I'll help you with it next week.

DR
Old 08-30-2012, 08:18 PM
bcovish

Appreciate it David.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:47 AM
Tom Antlfinger
My Feedback: (24)

Hi Bob:
Hope things worked after our phone call yesterday...I will be back from MN about 3 PM and will give you a buzz when I have my radio in hand. Crow went in smoothly on my UB and Arf Bandit after figuring out the L Ail quirk and using default channel assignments. There still is a mate and flaperon function like on the 12X, but it is imbedded differently in the firmware and not named as such.

Old 08-31-2012, 01:08 PM
Tom Antlfinger

The 1,2,3 settings described by Gary are variable depending on what the exact neutral postion of the flap is, i.e. mid-flap switch setting on switch D or whatever switch you are using for flaps, as well as the overall geometric setup of the flap servo and horns.

On my ARF Bandit, I use 1=+125, 2=0 and 3 or Offset is -35 which gives me about 3/8" up aileron with full flaps.

If you want a bit of crow with 1/2 landing or takeoff flaps, activate tick 2 as well as tick 3. I do it to help forestall any tip stalling tendency with 1/2 flaps. You can set flap speed on the flap menu, but I set my flap, aileron, and elevator speeds all together on the mix page. 3.0 seconds seems about right.

On the aircraft type menu, I set up dual aileron servos, dual flap servos for the wing, dual elevator servos on the stab, and dual rudders on the fin. On a single fin plane like the the BARF or UB, or when dual rudders are Y'd together like on a Boomer, one rudder becomes the true rudder and the other rudder is mated to it, which I use for N/G steeing. This saves another mix. If you want to turn off the N/G or make it adjustable, just like on the 12X, just do a N/G to N/G mix and use the gear switch as a switch and a knob for trimming the N/G for straight tracking.

Old 09-01-2012, 04:27 PM
Tom Antlfinger

I discovered that using dual rudders in the airplane type menu and setting up the rudder on R rudder and N/G on the L rudder does not allow me to set up a mix to trim the nose wheel and turn off the servo with gear retraction. So I set up a rudder to aux 3 mix (aux 3 is my nose wheel port on my 1221RX). Then on the port assignment menu, select Aux 3 receiver port, and then scroll to channel input config menu and select whatever switch you use to trim the nose wheel for centering (I use the LTrAbutton)......finally on the mix menu, select the gear switch (A) as the Switch and done.

Then when done, don't forget to export to SD card

As Goose notes, best to use the analog trim selection LTrA rather than LTrD I originally posted.....
Old 09-02-2012, 06:55 PM
gooseF22

Tom, you need to select L trim A

A is for analog and allows stepping the trim.
D is for digital and will give you 100% stepping like off/on..
Old 09-03-2012, 10:11 AM
Tom Antlfinger

Right on Goose......I was using the D trim as you can change the step but not as fine as you can on the analog mode......similar to the left side lever trim option vs the throttle trim on the throttle channel....

Thanks for the tip.......

Tom
Old 09-03-2012, 09:02 PM
LA jetguy

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Is it possible to bind DX18 to a JR 1221X?  Has any one tried it successfully ?  Will all 12 channels work proportionally?   

Thanks in advance
Old 09-03-2012, 09:32 PM
zonker123

opps delete
Old 09-03-2012, 09:33 PM
zonker123

ORIGINAL: LA jetguy

Is it possible to bind DX18 to a JR 1221X? Has any one tried it successfully ? Will all 12 channels work proportionally?

Thanks in advance

I would think it would work OK.. I have bound mine to two jets with AR1200 Rx in them and it did fine. And all 12 channels will be proportional You will have to activate the X-port in the System mode of the TX to activate the other two channels as there are by default the first ten channel setups only in the main menu. Now my understanding is that if u use less than a twelve channel RX u have to activate the X-port menu and use the X-port channel expander modual. Any channels used on the module will also be proportional but will be at at much slower frame rate and should be used for NON-flight critical devices such as flaps (yes I know that flaps are critical in a big sense but not like ailerons and elevators) smoke pumps, bomb releases etc.

Despite the large attempt by the OTHER big name radio company with its advertisement eluding that the DX-18 -they call it "a certain manufactures 18 channel radio" - trying to tell you otherwise, the DX-18 allows for ALL 18 Channels to perform proportionally.

Take care
Mike
Old 09-04-2012, 12:46 AM
madmodelman

It will bind to any DSM2 or DSMX Rx and drive all channels.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:46 PM
gooseF22

Yes, it is fully proportional on all 12 channels on the 12 channel receivers.. activate xplus to get 11/12th chan but it is full up.. that is a change that was made before release... also get the newest download 1.02 my numbers have improved significantly on both X and 2 with it..
Old 09-04-2012, 10:20 PM
LA jetguy

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Thanks goose.... I ordered my DX-18 today with a JR1221X reciever. I also got the TM1000... Should have it before the weekend will test it on a foamy plane before moving it into my new BVM eMig-15...
Old 09-09-2012, 08:19 PM
booker-RCU
My Feedback: (43)

Tom Thanks for the info on hooking up the nose wheel to the rudder. Very slick. I've been using my DX-18 for several months now just in simple 4 & 5 channel airplanes. I decided to put it in my R-54. I found something that puzzles me and hope I can explain it well enough to be understood.
I selected the two flap option in aircraft type. It automatically assigned the flaps in the channel assign menu to aux 1 and aux 2. RT and left flap respectively. Since I wanted to assign the ECU aux throttle lead to aux 2 on the receiver (it's a Jetcat P-70) I moved the left flap from aux 2 to aux 3. I then went to assign aux 2 back to the aux 2 channel and it was gone. I could not assign aux 2 back to aux 2 in the port assignment menu. The work around of course is to assign another aux channel to aux2 then activate it by assigning it to switch E. It seems that if you don't use the auto assign channels as is you actually lose a channel.
Does this make sense?
Thanks
Galen

Old 09-09-2012, 11:56 PM
madmodelman

What the 18 actually does is assign the most important controls, flying surfaces, in the first available channels.
Like you I used to use Aux2 for ucu control. This is a complete waste of time and a channel, I advise you to forget it.
If you are worried about killing the turbine fast simply assign a throttle cut switch, I use switch H.
Gary.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.