Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

56" gas powered tug

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

56" gas powered tug

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 09:53 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: 56

String trimmers usually have the snout pointing down a bit. Somewhat like a boat motor might.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:45 PM
specialk1

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: mainiac68

Interesting responses so far. The ''Kitchen rudder'' might be something I'ld like to use in the future but not this one. The tug is modelled after a LT Army tug. Originally built as steam, this would represent a later configuration after being refitted to diesel.The scale prop will be 3.5 in. or 4 in. (can't remember without looking up) I can fit the performance of the gas engine to the boat by sizing the prop diameter and pitch. I've done electric for 25 years so am quite familiar wiht that whole scene. As this boat was originally built for steam and I have a single and a boiler built by a friend but it is not reversing. Also, steam is a whole different commitment to the model and I have numerous things to build before that.

I am in southwest Florida and am surrounded by water to sail in; ponds, canals, lakes, etc. Organized RC boating is done in many parks and I've only been to a handfull and know three that allow IC. Anyway, I've run weed wacker motors but just in fast hulls, none in scale. I have seen it though and that's why I'm interested. From my limited knowledge of full scale workboats ( derived from fishing and lobster boats) I would need a gearbox that is basically in/out and reversing. Conveniently the gas motor is clutched so that problem is taken care of. So, discounting electric completely........any ideas?
Kanellos Rc Boat Builders did make a water cooled reversing gearbox for gas motors . i have one in a large scale gas boat with a full mod MRD G 26 . big $$$ but worth it
Attached Images  
Old 09-04-2012, 06:07 AM
redlined_b16a

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check this out
http://www.engagerc.com/servlet/the-...Boat%2C/Detail

I often considered a modified traxxas tmaxx transmission with reverse
The xtm x factor transmission or the hpi savage
All can be equipped with reverse and ive seen a truck with a seedeater engine and savage transmission