Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Official Losi Micro SCT Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 10:21 AM
thehuntingterminator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official Losi Micro SCT Thread

Meant 2s. Sorry. And it was a Zippy pack from HK.
ORIGINAL: phmaximus

hummm interseting...
I would put the bigger spur gear back on. and make sure the gear mesh is not to tight.. try that & report back

one other thing have u set the low voltage cutoff to nimh?

hey thehuntingterminator
what 3s lipo were u using?
Old 08-30-2012, 08:51 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

spewin, im keen to know how it goes on 3s... might just have to order one
Old 08-30-2012, 09:35 PM
CarGuy7a

hummm interseting...
I would put the bigger spur gear back on. and make sure the gear mesh is not to tight.. try that & report back

one other thing have u set the low voltage cutoff to nimh?

hey thehuntingterminator
what 3s lipo were u using?
Actually the mesh was the very first thing I checked on. I had it just a touch too tight (enough to hear a little too much gear noise) so I opened it up a little and got the same results.

LVC to NIMH. You can change that on the Losi Brushless ESC????? I read the whole manual that came in the conversion set and it didn't say anything about how to set it[&o] I thought that it was just an auto detect system. When I turn the truck on the LED is solid green if that helps.

Now that you say that about the LVC it does make sense. The truck reacts the same way as a Traxxas System when running a NIMH with the LVC On. Runs for a second or two and then nothing.

EDIT: After looking at the manual I think I made a very big NOOB mistake. Here's what I did. I assumed the 3 Pin slot next to the bind button was for a bind plug. So what did I do, I plugged in a bind plug to it and did the bind procedure. I think I may have royally EFFED my ESC. After I looked at the manual I realized it's for a 3 pin steering servo. I may try to re bind it the "correct" way and see what happens.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:02 AM
phmaximus

ahhhh ok, u musht have the LOSB9593 combo...

ive got the LOSB9595 it came with a program card

The kit u have has Auto Battery Type Detection so u dont have to worry about that. just make sure its fully charged

Oh dear about the bind plug, might be ok, all u have done is connected the signal wire to the earth.

re bind with the trip set to 0, then report back
Old 08-31-2012, 09:19 PM
CarGuy7a

ahhhh ok, u musht have the LOSB9593 combo...

ive got the LOSB9595 it came with a program card

The kit u have has Auto Battery Type Detection so u dont have to worry about that. just make sure its fully charged

Oh dear about the bind plug, might be ok, all u have done is connected the signal wire to the earth.

re bind with the trip set to 0, then report back
Yep mine is the 9593. Yeah hopefully I didn't screw up anything with the bind plug. I'm gonna mess with it some more tomorrow and see what I get.

Does 5.5V sound right for the stock pack fully charged?
Old 09-01-2012, 04:40 AM
phmaximus

yeah bud, that voltage is normal, anything over 1.2v per cell is good... if u are really keen u could check the voltage underload. That way u will know what its dropping to.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:15 PM
CarGuy7a

Ok fellas I messed around with it today. I've narrowed it down and it is not an ESC or Receiver issue it's a motor issue. I can put the brushed motor back in it with the new ESC and RX and it runs absolutely fine. I put the BL motor in and the problems start again. I ran some errands in town and was in the area of the LHS so I took the truck with me. He tested it out on a Lipo battery and got the same results and we determined that it wasn't a battery problem either.

I think I just got a bum motor in my combo. Off to Horizon Hobby it goes Tuesday.

EDIT: Just found something else out. It could possibly be a radio issue. I read on the specs for the 9593 and it says it's a 2 channel DSM. The DX3S radio I'm using is a 3 channel. Could that be the issue. If so I'm screwed and just threw $94 down the drain.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:36 PM
phmaximus

Just been trying to findout more about that, well the DX3s will work with DSM (1), what have u got the frame rate set to????
might be worth emailing losi and asking them if the 9593 will work with a DX3s just to rule that out.

if its compatable send the ESC/receiver and motor back to Horizon Hobby and let them work out whats faulty. because if its under warrenty all they need to know is, it does not work
Old 09-02-2012, 12:43 PM
CarGuy7a

Just been trying to findout more about that, well the DX3s will work with DSM (1), what have u got the frame rate set to????
might be worth emailing losi and asking them if the 9593 will work with a DX3s just to rule that out.

if its compatable send the ESC/receiver and motor back to Horizon Hobby and let them work out whats faulty. because if its under warrenty all they need to know is, it does not work
What's frame rate? I don't think you can change that on the DX3S. I think what's happening is there maybe some kind of frequency change when it's in brushless mode or something because it works fine brushed. We hooked up a 3s lipo to it at the hobby shop and it wouldn't even move. I had steering and that was it.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:45 PM
dumhuve

looking good phmaximus!
So far so good with the aluminum spur gear.
I had almost forgotten the trick to get the right distance between pinion and spur gear.
You take a little pice of print paper or such and put it between pinion and gear, push motor with pinion firmly
in to spur gear, the paper will set the perfect distance generally.

Is that a Losi servo you are using? My servo wires wore off at soldering (due to pulling on wires?)
The soldering is so close together i'm not even going to try repairing

I've been trending towards cheaper electronics and have had better luck, go figure...
I'm off to hobby king servo next. At $5.00 a piece it's like 3 for the price of one.
The $16.00 esc I have is working great with default settings, the 1/36 Losi burned up after 2 min.
Old 09-03-2012, 03:42 AM
phmaximus

Cheerz man, yeah thats a losi 3 wire servo, I might upgrade the ESC sometime too,
Old 09-03-2012, 06:55 AM
thehuntingterminator

Hey phmaximus, how are you liking your SCT now? In a way I kinda regret selling mine, but working on it was a PITA and it needed a lot of it. I think my cat really misses mine, lol. I even wrote an article about, it, haha. You can read it if you want, it doesn't matter.

http://www.modelkits.com/model-info/...t-with-rc.html
Old 09-05-2012, 05:08 AM
phmaximus

still very happy with mine, its a hoot to drive and the kids love it. Highly recomend the exotek chassis, it makes the car more like a larger scale car that makes things much eaiser to set, tune & tweek. I must admit the stock chassis is a pain to work on, battery choice is limited, gear mesh not constant & very easy to strip out the screw holes.

Mine is out of action, ive lost 1 of the suspension pins/screws, Its a pain in the butt, its one that came with the losi upgrade arms and has a different thread to the stock pins.

must admit after that article I was supprised u sold yours, how much did u get?
Old 09-05-2012, 03:21 PM
thehuntingterminator

still very happy with mine, its a hoot to drive and the kids love it. Highly recomend the exotek chassis, it makes the car more like a larger scale car that makes things much eaiser to set, tune & tweek. I must admit the stock chassis is a pain to work on, battery choice is limited, gear mesh not constant & very easy to strip out the screw holes.

Mine is out of action, ive lost 1 of the suspension pins/screws, Its a pain in the butt, its one that came with the losi upgrade arms and has a different thread to the stock pins.

must admit after that article I was supprised u sold yours, how much did u get?
I believe I got around $85 shipped, which wasn't bad I guess considering it didn't include a radio system. Like I said, I got tired of working on it and that Losi brushless system cogged terribly. Became frustrating fast.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:03 PM
Entropy
My Feedback: (2)

Does any body have a link to the diff shim mod or instructions and parts needed?

My SCT has about 20 feet of range so not so fun. I emailed Horizon Monday but no response. Hopefully I can get time to call them sometime when they are open.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:38 PM
CarGuy7a

ORIGINAL: Entropy

Does any body have a link to the diff shim mod or instructions and parts needed?

My SCT has about 20 feet of range so not so fun. I emailed Horizon Monday but no response. Hopefully I can get time to call them sometime when they are open.
I emailed them too on Monday about the situation with my brushless conversion kit. Be patient though they'll respond, I've emailed them before and they've gotten back to me. It says it takes 3 to 5 days. They probably get tons of emails daily.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:02 PM
CarGuy7a

phmaximus: Check this out man. I emailed Horizon with my problem look at the response I got. It's absolutely absurd and hilarious at the same time. Keep in mind I asked them about the compatibility between the LOSB9593 system and the DX3S radio, and told them about the cogging and how the car would drive 3 feet then completely stop. Here's the response I got.

Original: Horizon Hobby
Which motor did you change to? The 10250kv motor has very little torque and may struggle to move the car if the differentials are tight. Trying rolling the car out on each individual wheel for about a minute a piece to loosen up the diffs. This should help get you started. I would recommend using the 8750kv motor instead.
Seriously people. Oh yeah my problem is definitely with the differentials being too tight even though the car is 2 years old and runs perfectly fine with a brushed setup. They even ask what motor I have, REALLY??????? They can't type in on their computer LOSB9593 and look at it? Come on Horizon. I won't have time to call them tomorrow but it says they are open on Saturday so I guess I'll try and call then.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:33 PM
CarGuy7a

I found what the problem was. It was a motor problem. The white wire was not soldered very well inside the motor can to the windings and was randomly touching making contact causing the inconsistency. I re soldered it but the cogging problem is still horrible. I tried it on 2s lipo and it wasn't as bad but it still was apparent. I also went ahead and ordered the Xcelorin ESC you all are using and have it hooked up, it does work much better but still will not start moving when the truck is stopped on a fully charged NIMH. You can see it jumping like it's starting to go but it doesn't. I can give it a little tap in the rear with my foot and it takes off and goes and runs just fine. Any ideas. Do you all think I just got a bum motor? I may order another one. I also want to pick up another 2s lipo as well.

How does you guy's setups run on NIMH? Are you all getting the same results I am with it not moving from a stand still??
Old 09-08-2012, 06:09 PM
phmaximus

havent tryed mine on the nimh.... might haveto dig one out and try it for ya.

they do have a point about the diffs. how is the rooling resistance?

I use a drill to free up my drive line.. just attach the drill to one wheel at a time and spin it for about 5min per wheel
Old 09-08-2012, 06:11 PM
phmaximus

hey how did u go getting the motor appart, mine has a loose connection too, but it seems finr ATM, untill i wiggle the wires
Old 09-09-2012, 06:05 AM
thehuntingterminator

ORIGINAL: CarGuy7a

I found what the problem was. It was a motor problem. The white wire was not soldered very well inside the motor can to the windings and was randomly touching making contact causing the inconsistency. I re soldered it but the cogging problem is still horrible. I tried it on 2s lipo and it wasn't as bad but it still was apparent. I also went ahead and ordered the Xcelorin ESC you all are using and have it hooked up, it does work much better but still will not start moving when the truck is stopped on a fully charged NIMH. You can see it jumping like it's starting to go but it doesn't. I can give it a little tap in the rear with my foot and it takes off and goes and runs just fine. Any ideas. Do you all think I just got a bum motor? I may order another one. I also want to pick up another 2s lipo as well.

How does you guy's setups run on NIMH? Are you all getting the same results I am with it not moving from a stand still??
I hate to tell you but that thing is probably gonna cog terrible on NIMH. Heck I ran the 8750kv version on 2s (which should cog a lot less than your setup) and if the lipo wasn't fully charged or the truck was on any kind of incline it would studder for a second or two before taking off at ridiculous speeds.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:49 AM
CarGuy7a

hey how did u go getting the motor appart, mine has a loose connection too, but it seems finr ATM, untill i wiggle the wires
The end bells of the motor are only pressed in and held with CA glue. Take a lighter and heat up the end of the can with the wires to deactivate the CA glue. Then you can take a pair of needle nosed pliers and yank it out. The easiest way is to put one side of your pliers in the half moon cut out for the wires and it should pop out. Once you get it off be very careful though, the wire are directly soldered to the windings in the can and there are 2 wires soldered to each motor wire. It's a PITA but it is fixable. You have to be very careful with the solder as well not to get any drops in the windings or on the rotor. When I got done I put heat sink tubing on the wires. When I put the end bell back in I only put it in half way to line up the rotor in the bearing, then I put a few drops of medium CA on the end bell and pushed it back into the can.

Original: thehuntingterminator
I hate to tell you but that thing is probably gonna cog terrible on NIMH. Heck I ran the 8750kv version on 2s (which should cog a lot less than your setup) and if the lipo wasn't fully charged or the truck was on any kind of incline it would studder for a second or two before taking off at ridiculous speeds.
I noticed that as well when I tested my lipo, but my lipo was also at nominal voltage 7.4v. My theory is that this 8750kv motor just does not have the torque to spool it up from a stop and that's it's made more or less for top end speed.

Original: phmaximus
they do have a point about the diffs. how is the rolling resistance?
It's actually pretty smooth. My truck is about 2 years old so it's loosened up pretty decent. It's still just a little stiff but it's definitely smooth. I just think it's funny how I can put the brushed system back in it and it runs without a problem at all. Put the BL system in it and bam no go.

I'm getting ready to head out there and mess with it now. I'm going to attempt to take off the 12 tooth pinion and put a 10 (or smaller if I have one) on and see if that helps. It says that if I remove the pinion it can damage the motor and void warranty but I've already done that by re soldering the wires so I don't care anymore. My suspicion tells me that if the end bells are glued in so is the pinion. I'm just gonna heat it up and pull on it and see what happens.

Also Horizonhobby.com has thunder power 250mah 2s 25C lipos for the Micro SCT for $12. Here's the part # THP2502SPL25J. They also have JST connectors on them. I'm going to order another one tonight.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:25 PM
Entropy
My Feedback: (2)

I can assure you, both 8750kv and 10250kv work fine on 2s lipo and NiMH. My response from Horizon was pathetic:

" Sorry for any inconvenience and problems you have experienced with our products. This will need to come in for a warranty evaluation.

Unfortunately, we can not quote prices or say if it's going to be covered under warranty without first seeing the product in our service center. Evaluations are free."

Then they go on to tell me about labor charges. Total Bull. After the the thousands I've spent on Horizon products. Even if I never bought anything from them I probably never would again. The truck loses range within 20 feet and they want me to pay to send it in and hope they don't charge me for labor? Luckily I have a spectrum dx3 and it works fine. I'm pissed. The first time I ever need support from them on a brand new product and all they can do is send a generic email telling me to send it in on my dime?

And this was after a 4 day wait. I work. I can't just call them but I'll have to if nothing else to complain about the rep who sent me the email. Or is this really the support I should expect from Horizon on a $150 product?
Old 09-10-2012, 08:10 PM
dumhuve

I've had nothing but bad luck with all Losi electronics so far in my brief sct ownership and I've
replaced them with something different each time.
Latest item that I'm sick of is the motors (have 8750 and 10250) seemingly poorly built
with play in shaft. I've seen big name motor options out there for just a little more
like $ 30-50.00
Old 09-13-2012, 02:41 PM
phmaximus

ORIGINAL: Entropy

I can assure you, both 8750kv and 10250kv work fine on 2s lipo and NiMH. My response from Horizon was pathetic:

'' Sorry for any inconvenience and problems you have experienced with our products. This will need to come in for a warranty evaluation.

Unfortunately, we can not quote prices or say if it's going to be covered under warranty without first seeing the product in our service center. Evaluations are free.''

Then they go on to tell me about labor charges. Total Bull. After the the thousands I've spent on Horizon products. Even if I never bought anything from them I probably never would again. The truck loses range within 20 feet and they want me to pay to send it in and hope they don't charge me for labor? Luckily I have a spectrum dx3 and it works fine. I'm pissed. The first time I ever need support from them on a brand new product and all they can do is send a generic email telling me to send it in on my dime?

And this was after a 4 day wait. I work. I can't just call them but I'll have to if nothing else to complain about the rep who sent me the email. Or is this really the support I should expect from Horizon on a $150 product?
hey what spur gear are u running. I was playing around with mine last night and found there are a few gearing combos that just wont work with my setup

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.