Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Armour Concepts Transmission Upgrade

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Armour Concepts Transmission Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 12:37 PM
acrijos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Armour Concepts Transmission Upgrade

While going through my storage of old tank parts I found 2 Armour Concepts (now defunct) King Tiger Transmission upgrade kits, complete with instructions, and 1 sort of incomplete Tiger I kit with no instructions. I am in the process of building a Tamiya 1/16 Tiger I conversion to a late model with many mods. My question is: can I use the King Tiger kit in the Tiger I transmission? I really want to upgrade the trans as I am using the Elite Armor metal tracks for the Late Production Tiger I, the Wecohe steel wheels conversion kit and the small idler conversion kit, so this is going to be a HEAVY Tank! I'm using a Daryl's gearbox brace as well. I found in storage 2 boxes with tons and tons of stuff which I had accumulated for 10 years which I never remembered they were there! Anyway, any help will be appreciated.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:51 PM
yellowshaker
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Armour Concepts Transmission Upgrade

The only diffeerence between the Tiger 1 and the KT gearboxes is the standoff height. If you are using the correct part from Daryl for the tank you are installing them in, it will work...but you will need one correct length standoff for the model.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:13 PM
sevoblast

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

If you have the Type 1 TU's as shown in this photo, they will be too weak in the long run to do what you want, and much too fast without a gear down. You wold be better off getting the latest Type 3 TU's for your Tiger, depending on what you intend to do with him.

If you want to build a scale speed bullet proof motive system, etoarmour will very shortly have the Spiegel transmissions in stock.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94155.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	1798768   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj24050.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	1798769  
Old 09-05-2012, 07:35 PM
acrijos

I actually have the one shown in your first picture, but I also have a set of Tamiya transmission units part numbers 4205023 , Gear Box Right 56014 (and also the left unit). Are these the Trans Units (TU3) that you are talking about?

Name:	Ec88390.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	1798770   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96619.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	1798771  
Old 09-05-2012, 07:37 PM
yellowshaker

The ones in your first pic are the Type 1's, but not upgraded as Sev has. At least I don't think so, aside form the bracing he has steel gears in the mix.The other pic is the type 3 Transmission.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:38 PM
yellowshaker

double post...

Old 09-05-2012, 08:55 PM
TANKDUEL

Hi

Yes of course you should throw away all your gearboxes and buy the new ones which Sev and his undisclosed employee want to sell you[&o]

Having taken the time, and indeed possessing the ability to comprehend your straightforward question about the Armour Concepts kit, 'can I use the King Tiger kit in the Tiger I transmission?'. I have that upgrade installed in one of my KT's and although it's been a while now I believe the answer is no and there was a separate kit for the Tiger 1. The reason is probably the cross brace between the gearboxes won't fit.
Nev

Old 09-05-2012, 09:06 PM
yellowshaker

undisclosed employee? Dude, I was answering the man's question. You should have faded away with your website. All you do is bring negativity to every post.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:12 PM
TANKDUEL

You do work for him, don't you? And I don't see any disclosure, so what fact did I get wrong? I addressed his question, you didn't, probably because you probably aren't familiar with the Armour Concepts upgade.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:14 PM
sevoblast

The difference between the Tiger 1 and King Tiger Armour Concept kits is simply the length of the cross brace. The TU's themselves are identical. You can use the Type 1's in a King Tiger and either fabricate a longer cross brace or PM me. I've got an extra KT brace here that I'll be quite happy to send you.

The reason I said the Type 1's are too weak is the nylon gear at the final drive will strip easily if a track jams. Gears are hard to come by.

On your later transmissions, please remove the black plastic covers on one and photo it for me. I can then tell you if it's Type 2 or Type 3. Type 3's are the best and strongest.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:14 PM
yellowshaker

Nev, as I said, you are implying things like you always do with no fact.s to back it up. I am friend's with Sev. Not an employee. Get it straight.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:31 PM
TANKDUEL

My understanding from Sev was that you run his stock storage and distribution for him in the USA, who's the liar?
Old 09-05-2012, 09:37 PM
yellowshaker

My understanding is that I would continue this battle of wits, but would prefer not to take advantage of an unarmed man. And why so civil on the forum? You afraid to tarnish your image Nev? Die in a fire you cheating, stealing and lying turd. Not everyone is in this hobby for money or free parts, as you are.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:40 PM
acrijos

ORIGINAL: sevoblast

The difference between the Tiger 1 and King Tiger Armour Concept kits is simply the length of the cross brace. The TU's themselves are identical. You can use the Type 1's in a King Tiger and either fabricate a longer cross brace or PM me. I've got an extra KT brace here that I'll be quite happy to send you.

The reason I said the Type 1's are too weak is the nylon gear at the final drive will strip easily if a track jams. Gears are hard to come by.

On your later transmissions, please remove the black plastic covers on one and photo it for me. I can then tell you if it's Type 2 or Type 3. Type 3's are the best and strongest.
Here is the photo with the cover removed. There are a lot of plastic gears! I believe I bought these TUs to do a RC conversion for a Bandai Stug III.
Please remember that what I want to do is use the KT kit on a Tiger I and not the other way around.
Cheers

Name:	Ig12383.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	1798804  
Old 09-05-2012, 09:51 PM
sevoblast

Those are Type 2's. They should be more than strong enough to run your Tiger 1, albeit they are a little faster than the Type 3's. If or when they wear out, then it's time to consider either a set of Type 3's or upgrades.

Do you intend to go to competition meets and battle with the IR system, or will he be simply a driver? Either way the transmissions should last for quite a while. Tamiya used to make an 'overhaul' kit for the Type 2's and Type 3's, but they have stopped that for over a year now.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:00 PM
acrijos

Thanks Bob. This weekend I am going to check on another Tiger I which I built about 10 years ago using the Armour Concepts transmission upgrade. I will compare this Vs. the King Tiger kit and see if there are any significant differences. If not, then I'll use the kit. If there are important differences, I will use the Transmission Type I that come with the kit. Eventually, I want to go with the proper scale speed. I had already seen the german transmission unit which you mentioned and it looks fantastic. I watched the YouTube video and it is amazingly quiet and looks bombproof. I will probably upgrade some time later.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:30 PM
sevoblast

To get scale speed from the Type 1's, you will need a gear down that bolts on each transmission, or if the motors have the 12 tooth pinion gear you can go with either an 8 or a 10 tooth pinion gear. Either pinion gear will require slight modifications to the motor mounting area to get the proper mesh of the pinion to the first spur gear.

On the Type 2's you have, they should work in either tank, KT and Tiger 1. The main difference is the support standoffs on the bottom of the transmissions. KT is longer than Tiger 1. Of import also is the length of the output shaft, but Type 2's should work in either tank if the output shaft is the same length outside the transmission frame as your Type 1's.

The new transmission systems are quite nice. I will have them in stock shortly, but they are rather dear. However, from the looks of them you buy them one time and your decendents will inherit them. An added plus is if you do break something or wear them out, parts will be readily available.