Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

s/m 1/6 f16 in my hot little hands!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

s/m 1/6 f16 in my hot little hands!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 09:48 AM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: s/m 1/6 f16 in my hot little hands!

Tor, are you still flying a SM F-16? You're the godfather of F-16s!
Old 09-04-2012, 12:08 PM
icepilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, man - still flying, had 6 great flights in Sweden last weekend flying formation with another 1:6 F-16, great fun!
I believe I will always have an F-16 in my hangar!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vs55835.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	1798433  
Old 09-04-2012, 12:35 PM
Ad Clark III
My Feedback: (8)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am a few years behind you guys but I am currently putting together a Thunderbird scheme F16. This thread is full of good info. Hope to fly mine next month. Nice looking bird Tor.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:38 PM
Ad Clark III
My Feedback: (8)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

sorry double post
Old 09-04-2012, 12:47 PM
sinver

ORIGINAL: icepilot

Congratulations on your maiden, Chema - it's a great plane and your flights were very good, especially the second flight
with the great landing! I hope you get many nice flight with your F-16!

ok Icepilot, thakyou very much

Although the third landing was not as good

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FtK_Qh1x4o&feature=plcp[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IgR2xVixjc&feature=plcp[/youtube]

The track was shorter and air did nothing so I had a hard time to adjust to this circumstance

I wanted to ask you to and everyone in general if that amount used for flaps and landing on runways 120 to 140mts in length?

again thank you very much and greetings to all,
Chema
Old 09-04-2012, 12:57 PM
sinver

Icepilot,

sorry but I forgot to ask you about your current configuration of the CG

A few millimeters is currently the center of gravity in your F-16?

thanks again!
Old 09-04-2012, 01:01 PM
dubd

Chema, I don't like flaps on the F-16. I tried them a few times and the plane felt sluggish. Perhaps someone with positive experience with flaps will chime in.

I did notice you were going pretty fast on final and then transitioned to high alpha. While this sounds good, I've found the easiest way to land the F-16 is to slow her down on final and come in flat to slightly negative AOA at idle to 1/4 power. I land my F-16 just like a Bandit. I use to come in with lots of positive AOA, but I was never able to get consistent results. I can now stop my f-16 in less than 400 feet.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:06 PM
furloughed ual
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sinver, get rid of using down elevator for brakes....it doesnt work on the F-16. The stabs are huge and they lift the back of the jet up and take weight off the wheels, so the brakes are not efective at all. This is worse at higher speeds. When you really need the brakes from a long or fast landing, they are not much help at all. If you did not have down elevator, the jet would have easily stopped. I've had the big SM F16 and had the same problem. I took the down elevator and brake mix out and it stops in half the distance. Down elevator works with some jets, but definately NOT the 16.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:28 PM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Chema, like dubd stated, if it is windy keep the wings semi flat otherwise the model will parachute on you, which leads to a sudden descent. Flaps work but the extra drag is not worth it, you'd have to keep higher thrust all the way to the ground, which gets touchy.

A buddy of mine took some pics of my viper last weekend, see the link below. There was a 10-15kt crosswind which was tricky, but there's a few pics showing the steady AOA on flare. If you bump and down, go around.
There's also a couple of vids in the end showing how hard they like to be pulled. Mines smaller than yours but they all fly really good.

Saludos maño!!
David

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_98...mpage_5/tm.htm
Old 09-04-2012, 01:31 PM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

ORIGINAL: furloughed ual

Sinver, get rid of using down elevator for brakes....it doesnt work on the F-16. The stabs are huge and they lift the back of the jet up and take weight off the wheels, so the brakes are not efective at all. This is worse at higher speeds. When you really need the brakes from a long or fast landing, they are not much help at all. If you did not have down elevator, the jet would have easily stopped. I've had the big SM F16 and had the same problem. I took the down elevator and brake mix out and it stops in half the distance. Down elevator works with some jets, but definately NOT the 16.
Definitely, the little tripod landing gear can bite you really fast when down is applied with brakes!!
Old 09-04-2012, 01:39 PM
icepilot

Chema, my CG is at 225 mm now, and the plane flies great with that. My wings are especially ordered without
flaps or ailrons, I only fly with full flying stabs as tailerons and elevators. The plane slows down nicely when you lift
the nose just a little, but be careful as it will stop very fast in the air if it gets too high..
Old 09-04-2012, 01:47 PM
lookilook

As dubd said i dont use either flaps on my f16 and i'm flying from a field that looks like yours and i also use 1/4 throttle on finals and i idle it at a point depending on wind strength, my first flights were boring for spectators as i was doing only circuits and approaches just to find this exact locations where to reduce throttle and turn for final and adjust high angle on various wind conditions, after some more flights you get used to this and then enjoy your plane. unfortunately we can't all have long and wide runways to forgive any mistakes.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:42 PM
sinver

ok, ok

thks, thankyou very much for for sharing your experience and advice on this fantastic aircraft.

try to get the point that the loss of speed and angle of attack necessary before landing, for me is definitely more complicated, otherwise I'm very happy with the model as it flies really well and trace

Icepilot thanks for your kind words, and thank you all for your help and info !!!

this forum and particularly this thread is full of a lot of very good information from this model that both me and coming pilots comes very, very rewarding to fly for our F-16

I forgot, of course, I will take the stick lift brakes

My radio is a Futaba 12FG and has two side sliders, I think will be a good choice to put the brakes on a slider to lift independently

ye have a slider to be proportional valve with proportional mode or in a conventional switch?

Greetings to all !!!
Old 09-04-2012, 09:57 PM
NICKELUP
My Feedback: (82)

Hi guys i wanted to get your advise on a 1/6th skymaster F-16 that i have and it's been ready for a maiden for sometime i am using a P-200sx for power and CG is set at 215. I don't have much experiance with the big F-16 i have been flying the 1/8 th for a few times but not much and i really like to start flying and landing the big one. Recently i have purchased a new jetcat 180rx, and i been told i should change the 200sx for the new 180rx to save weight for better flying and easier landing plane because of the 2lb of weight differance. Do you guys think it's true or it will not make that much of a differance to go hrought the trouble of changing it out. i would probably leave the 3rd tank in there and not fill it up all the way until i feel if i need it or not. thank you.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:59 PM
icepilot

One of my friends here in Norway fly the F-16 with the 200, and it flies great and lands just like mine. I would not worry
about the little extra weight. I sometimes fly mine with 1 pound of water onboard and all the tanks (6.5 liters) full, and
have landed just 2 minutes after takeoff as we had a full-size plane coming in, and even in that heavy configuration it
lands quite nicely once you learn the point where you throttle down and the exact angle of attack.

I have stood beside 2 buddies here on their F-16 maidens, they had both been flying CARF Eurosports before and were
used to just going to idle and flaring a lot on landing. I had to be very clear that they should actually push the elevator
stick forward to obtain an almost parallel-to-the ground attitude of the model. After that, it will settle very nicely.

I still use the brakes on the elevator down stick, as long as you don't land to fast and let the plane roll out maybe 20-30
meters before you apply the brakes you are fine. On shorter runways, that may of course be a problem, and brakes on
a slider sounds like a good idea.
From 1:15 in this video you can see how the plane keeps the same attitude and almost no corrections on it's way down:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxLlcY6Qus4[/youtube]
Old 09-05-2012, 03:34 AM
dubd

Nickelup, I've had 3 1/6 F-16s. My first was powered by a 160, second a 200sx, and current F-16 uses a 180rx. The 180rx powered F-16 flies the best. It has really good power (similar to the P-200 plane) and is much more agile and easier to land (like the 160 power plane). I fly without the 3rd tank and land after 7 minutes.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:57 PM
NICKELUP

How is your vertical with the 180rx are you still capable of going stright up out of a slow harrier by losing 10lb of extra thurst. What's the best way of landing with that setup would you keep the throttle all the way until just before landing ? Again thanks for all your help i be maidening it soon.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:03 PM
dubd

ORIGINAL: NICKELUP

How is your vertical with the 180rx are you still capable of going stright up out of a slow harrier by losing 10lb of extra thurst. What's the best way of landing with that setup would you keep the throttle all the way until just before landing ? Again thanks for all your help i be maidening it soon.
I haven't tried going from a slow harrier to vertical like I did with my p-200 bird. I will on the next outing. I've gone from a medium speed high alpha into a vertical.

Remember you have the extra thrust, but you're carrying extra weight of the turbine + fuel, so it pretty much nullifies the thrust advantage of the P-200.

With the P-200 I land with about 1/4 throttle on touchdown. With the 180rx I've been at idle. Nothing wrong with using the P-200, it just feels less agile.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:11 AM
Craig B.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I fly off a bitumen runway 9m x 130m. My landing setup is as follows...Jetcat P180, 6.5L of fuel using all three tanks, older landing gear version (wish I had the new one)....

I use about 10mm of flap...cambers the wing up allowing the jet to fly more slowly and with more stability at slow speed. It really allows you to slow the jet up more for approach on a short runway and effectively generates washout on the wing.

I make sure I have the nose high....not so high it drops out of the sky because as Tor said it really slows up quickly if you pull the nose up, but I certainly don't bring it in flat......it will simply be flying too fast for that as we only have 130m to play with. I watch a lot of videos of the F16's landing and many are on full size runways. Often the guys are using 2-300m to land the thing. I have never run off the end of my runway with this setup.

I do use brakes on down elevator, but I have a mix that moves the flaperons to full up deflection that kicks in at about 80% down elevator/braking. This totally dumps the lift generated by the wing and really plants the jet on the main wheels, making the brakes more effective. I have this set up on all 3 F16's that I have and it really pulls them up fast. Some might suggest that this setup is risky, but I only have it on flight mode 2 (landing config), and if I am ever having to use full down elevator on approach, something has gone seriously wrong well before that!

Anyway, each to his own.....I know this works well for me........this landing had the nose a lot lower than I normally have it but you will see her stop nicely anyway.....and this was with NO headwind to help slow her down......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74_zykVyvyc

Old 09-10-2012, 09:53 PM
NICKELUP

Thanks for all the info i currently have my CG at 215 is that a good start point for a maiden?
Old 09-10-2012, 10:15 PM
Craig B.

Mine is at 200-225. I don't like nose heavy aircraft, particularly the F16 as they tend to tuck under in high G turns and that gets really ugly very quickly. you would not be too far off the mark with 215 depending on your preferred setup. I think Tor runs his at 225.

Old 09-10-2012, 11:09 PM
dubd

215 will be good for maiden. My CG is at 220 and I may move it back a bit.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:22 AM
icepilot

Hi guys!
I think there might be a G2 F-16 in my near future, both my F-16's so far have had the 555 Aviano markings and
the typical light grey/dark grey US scheme. I am thinking about one in Norwegian livery since we still have them
here, what do you guys think? (Yes, I know it's a bit boring, but it's Norwegian.. )
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29420.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	433.5 KB
ID:	1800222   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37649.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	1800223  
Old 09-11-2012, 08:34 AM
Craig B.

I think you are looking for an excuse to buy another F16 Tor! Go for it man....life is too short!

BTW, how do you find the new version of the gear? I have only the old version in my F16 and it was a pain to set up properly. I would be interested to know what you think of the new G2 kit.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:47 AM
lookilook

From what i can see from both schemes Tor ....Yes you are looking for an excuse to buy another one and this time maybe you change manufacturer and go for the big one!!!
Nicos

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.