Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

New Great Planes Escapade 61.

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

New Great Planes Escapade 61.

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 06:02 AM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New Great Planes Escapade 61.

Mike did you ever change out the 95 and put in the 75 to compare the difference in performance?
Old 03-05-2012, 01:03 PM
Super08

Well I was starting to have concerns if I was going to be able to keep up with my buddies 40 size Escapade with only a 75 in my larger Escapade. It got to the point I said the heck with it and just ordered a 95AX and a couple of props, 14x8,14x10 and a 15x8 APC. I wasn't sure which would be the best match for this plane.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:49 PM
Super08

Mine is finished and I have it on aluminum snow skis for now. Final weight on skis came in at 8 lb 4 oz. It should be a bit less on wheels. I ran two tanks of fuel though the engine tonight to loosen it up some and set the low needle. It is running great and I am getting 11,000 even on an APC 14x6.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq48350.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	1736939  
Old 03-12-2012, 08:28 AM
Super08

I put a few flights on mine the other day. It flys very nice and has to be the easiest landing plane ever. Very fast with the .95 on the nose. The .75 I had would have been plenty I think, but the extra power is nice in the vertical lines.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:01 AM
sgrady
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Put a Saito 125 in mine, nice plane.

Name:	Qo41355.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	232.2 KB
ID:	1737960  
Old 03-17-2012, 05:18 PM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 123 Likes on 106 Posts

Has any one clipped the wings on this airplane like we used to do to the Tiger 60 to make it a little more agile?
Old 04-07-2012, 08:59 PM
Tree Rat RC

How do you think the Escapade performs say in comparison to a 4star 60 with like powerplants?

Greg
Old 04-08-2012, 04:55 AM
Super08

I never had a 4Star but have seen them fly. I would say they are very similar. The Escapade is a great sport flyer.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:27 AM
Tree Rat RC

Can anybody who has built one of these latelytell us whether the verticle stab rodalignment to the fuselageissues have been fixed in later kits?

Greg

Old 04-22-2012, 11:37 AM
gmeyer-RCU
My Feedback: (9)

In one of my earlier posts my suggestion was to get 2 tubes that would fit over the rods/screws in the vertical stab that were as small a dia. as possible then drill out the holes in the bottom of the fuse so that those tubes would go through then put the tubes over the screws and slide everything together and remove the tubes and then put the rest of the hardware on my original post on this is somewhere on pages 1-3. Greg
Old 04-22-2012, 04:43 PM
Super08

I built two of them this year and they were only slightly off, I had no problems getting them to line up.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:34 AM
oldtyme

Well, I've had two Escapade 40's and have been reading this thread for awhile and just HAD to get the Escapade 61!!! I had a brand new OS91FX sitting around looking for a home so this is it. I love the way the 40 size flys so I'm really looking forward to moving up in size.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:18 PM
oldtyme

OK........just got my Escapade 61 and was wondering if anyone has any tips on cutting out the cowl without really hacking it up. I am mounting an OS91FX and it has the remote needle valve at the rear of the engine pointing upward. I also bought the PowerBox muffler so I didn't have that tank that came with the 91. The screws go through the engine and bolt to the muffler so are there any tricks to cutting as little as possible and still getting on the cowl to look nice and have most of it in tact?
Old 06-16-2012, 11:19 PM
CustomPC

I was running the NGH 17cc gasser in my Escapade but i removed that engine for another project and replaced it with an OS .65AX. I was planning on breaking in the .65 for another model.

I thought the .65 would be on the verge of being too weak on the Escapade but the performance is surprising. I guess that is in-part, due to the overall weight being 2/3 pound lighter than the gasser setup.
The plane flies much better with the .65 and the engine has no trouble hauling it around for sport flying and cruises on less that half throttle. There is more than ample power for loops and cuban 8's etc. It will climb vertical for a while but runs out of puff eventually.

I actually prefer how the model flies now so i'm going to leave the .65 on it.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:03 AM
jnbschaefer

HI, I have aq big problem and hope someone has a solution or may have unfortunatley run into the same issue. This is on the big Escapade and we converted it to electric. The plans call for the COG to be 4" from the leading edge. Here's the problem. With the COG at 4", I need to put a ton of weight to balance it. It makes me unfomfortable adding an ounce or three to get the plane to balance.

Has anyone run into this and what did you do? Thanks. By the way, we flwe it once way our of balance is it was NOT fun. HELP please
Old 07-14-2012, 02:45 AM
CustomPC

You don't say if your Escapade is nose heavy or tail heavy.

If it is tail heavy, the manual says that 4" is a starting point and you can have the CofG as far back as 5".

I currently have mine at 4 3/8" and was thinking to go back to 4 1/2".

If it is nose heavy then you could try a lighter set of batteries.

An ounce or 3 is no huge issue. Try to put the additional weight as far back (or forward) as possible.

Old 07-15-2012, 08:44 AM
landeck
My Feedback: (1)

I originally had the CG at 4 inches and found that the plane landed very fast. I moved it back to 4 1/2 inches and it flies and lands much better. I have a Fox .74 Eagle IV in it which pulls it around very well.

Bruce
Old 09-06-2012, 10:22 AM
suburban95

OK I maidened my Escapade 61 with an OS .91 FS on Tuesday. Uneventful and flew fine till flight #4. About 2 minutes into flight 4 after a slow easy turn on the second trip around our field straight and level flight at mid field the Wing Departs the fuselage. Yes that's right the wing "departs" the fuselage. When I finally recovered the fuse I found the wing bolts still in the wing bolt plate and the plate still secure in the fuse and no damage to the wing bolts however the leading edge former where the wing hooks into was broken and fully out of the fuse. The wind carried the wing off into the woods/tall (5 foot) grass and was not yet found so I couldn't tell if the tabs on the root ribs broke or if it was just that the former was not glued in properly. The fuse is a total loss except the tail feathers are perfect I have emailed Hobbico and sent pictures hoping to get some type of help from them. Only time will tell..........

JUST WANTED TO PASS THIS ALONG FOR ALL WHO ARE BUILDING/ASSEMBLING NEW ESCAPADE 61 ARF'S-CHECK THE WING ROOT RIB TABS AND FORMER IN THE FUSE TO MAKE SURE THEY ARE PROPERLY GLUED AND THAT THE ROOT RIB TABS ARE STRONG ENOUGH.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:01 PM
Super08

It would be a much better design if it was not two little plywood tabs coming off the root ribs. It should be a hardwood dowel. My friend lost his Escapade the same way and it also destroyed his engine.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:38 PM
coronabob
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: suburban95

OK I maidened my Escapade 61 with an OS .91 FS on Tuesday. Uneventful and flew fine till flight #4. About 2 minutes into flight 4 after a slow easy turn on the second trip around our field straight and level flight at mid field the Wing Departs the fuselage. Yes that's right the wing ''departs'' the fuselage. When I finally recovered the fuse I found the wing bolts still in the wing bolt plate and the plate still secure in the fuse and no damage to the wing bolts however the leading edge former where the wing hooks into was broken and fully out of the fuse. The wind carried the wing off into the woods/tall (5 foot) grass and was not yet found so I couldn't tell if the tabs on the root ribs broke or if it was just that the former was not glued in properly. The fuse is a total loss except the tail feathers are perfect I have emailed Hobbico and sent pictures hoping to get some type of help from them. Only time will tell..........

JUST WANTED TO PASS THIS ALONG FOR ALL WHO ARE BUILDING/ASSEMBLING NEW ESCAPADE 61 ARF'S-CHECK THE WING ROOT RIB TABS AND FORMER IN THE FUSE TO MAKE SURE THEY ARE PROPERLY GLUED AND THAT THE ROOT RIB TABS ARE STRONG ENOUGH.
My flying buddy's 2nd Escapade 61 shed its wings in flight. The problem was really obvious. The two tongue tabs made of plywood delaminated. It happened right after he rolled inverted. The wings simply lifted off the fuselage. The damage was really extensive. It wiped out his engine, receiver, batts, etc. The wings fluttered to the ground and it took a good minute or two.[img][/img]

Name:	Jh16647.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	1798947   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19003.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	1798948   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di10284.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	1798949  
Old 09-06-2012, 02:58 PM
gmeyer-RCU

I have not had a chance to fly mine this year due to poor weather and health issues but I bought mine when they first came out mine is powered with a OS 91 fs I tried to learn snap rolls with this plane and I just was not quick enough to get the plane to stop after just one i usually did 2 or 3 in a row nothing ever broke maybe the wings need to be glued together I was able to get the wing in my ford focus sedan in one piece even though I did not glue my wings. Greg
Old 09-06-2012, 03:43 PM
Super08

Before I fly mine anymore I am going to make a metal tab that will screw onto one of the root ribs and get sandwiched between the two tabs when you put the wings together. Not going to rip that out.
The other weak spot on this plane is the horizontal stab on both the 40 size and the 60 size. The stab breaks off right where the hardwood doubler ends. It usually is accompanied by the elevator ripping on which ever side breaks. We have lost 3 of them up here. One stab on my 60 size and two of the guys with 40's.
Old 09-07-2012, 04:04 AM
suburban95

Coronabob,

That looks like what might have happened to my escapade. I can't say for sure because I haven't recovered the wings. Our field is at a Forest Preserve district site and there are trees beyond our field and 5-6 foot tall wild grass before and beyond the trees. We looked for the wing for a while but gave up because of the tall grass and I am told that the wing floated down for a while then turned vertical and went down so it probably was beyond any repair anyway. When I got to the fuselage I found that the former that the wing tabs went into was pulled out of the fuselage and broken/delaminated as well. I sent an email with pictures and description of the incident to Hobbico hoping to get sometype of response from them since this is truly a manufacturing defect but knowing this hobby I not really expecting them to step up and replace the plane. Guess I will just start buying from other companies if they blow me off.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:50 AM
coronabob
My Feedback: (10)

My buddy sent them an email with the pictures. They replied right away and asked him to send the crashed plane in. He did it the next day and not too long after that they sent him a $0.00 invoice for a new plane to be shipped out in 10 days. He has not received it yet but it's just a matter of time.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:34 AM
suburban95

Well that's great news maybe they will step up and do the right thing. I sent my email and pictures yesterday and haven't heard back yet but one can only hope!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.