Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Nitro proof paint

Old 09-07-2012, 11:23 AM
jefflangton
My Feedback: (23)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitro proof paint

Looking to repaint the fuse on my fabric covered albatross. What paint will be mostly nitro proof? Thanks
Old 09-07-2012, 11:39 AM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default RE: Nitro proof paint

Butyrate Dope, Warbird Colors, & Klass Kote are all designed to work with nitro fuels. I've also seen the Klass Kote clear used over the top of automotive paints to make them nitro resistant. I'm sure there are other options that will be offered up as well.
Old 09-07-2012, 04:14 PM
STUKA BARRY

Rustoleum paints are fuel proof available at Home-Cheapo and Wally World. There are a few Olive Drab colors available too.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:23 PM
P-40 DRIVER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nelsons
Old 09-07-2012, 05:26 PM
tunakuts3d

I thought Nitrate dope was not "glow fuel proof" and Butyrate was fuel proof. At least that's what I remember from way back flying control line in the late 50's and 60's.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:38 PM
Dash7ATP

ORIGINAL: tunakuts3d

I thought Nitrate dope was not "glow fuel proof" and Butyrate was fuel proof. At least that's what I remember from way back flying control line in the late 50's and 60's.
Iwould have to agree:Nitrate is not fuel proof.

Dash
Old 09-07-2012, 07:06 PM
tunakuts3d

I think part of the problem is in what we mean when we use the word "fuel". Fuel can be regular gasoline, Kerosene jet fuel, nitro blended glow fuel. When one is talking about "fuel proof" finishes it is important to be very specific as to EXACTLY what type of fuel you want the finish to withstand or be impervious to. My $.02 worth.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:30 PM
irocbsa
My Feedback: (12)

I think it is a common misconception that Rustoleum is nitro proof. In it's modern form it definitely is not, at least not to 15% nitro fuel which is what a lot of us use. From what I understand, in it's heyday Rustoleum was quite fuel proof but then Big Brother madated the elimination of most of the VOCs that were in spray paint so now it is just as un-nitro-proof as the rest of the off the shelf brands.

I have small drops of 15% nitro on spinners that I have painted with Rustoleum and the paint bubbled in seconds. Top Flite Lustrekote is nitro proof to about 20%, but it stinks to high heaven so for your lungs' sake only use it outside. I typically use clear satin finish Minwax spray polyuretane to nitro proof any paint job that I do. Holds up quite well.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:34 PM
Chad Veich

ORIGINAL: Dash7ATP

I thought Nitrate dope was not ''glow fuel proof'' and Butyrate was fuel proof. At least that's what I remember from way back flying control line in the late 50's and 60's.
I would have to agree: Nitrate is not fuel proof.

Dash
Sorry for the confusion gents, post corrected. I've never used anything other than Butyrate myself. Not sure where I came up with the idea that Nitrate was nitro proof.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:35 PM
Chad Veich

I think part of the problem is in what we mean when we use the word ''fuel''.

Just to be clear the OP used the term "nitro proof" rather than fuel proof.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:35 AM
tunakuts3d

ORIGINAL: STUKA BARRY

Rustoleum paints are fuel proof available at Home-Cheapo and Wally World. There are a few Olive Drab colors available too.
what type of fuel are you refering to whenyousay rustoleum paints are fuel proof?
Old 09-08-2012, 11:09 AM
Chad Veich

ORIGINAL: STUKA BARRY

I have found a few select colors of Rustoleum that seem to be resistant to nitro fuels up to about 15% but not all of them by any stretch. Particularly the metallic colors are definitely not! (Ask me how I know.)
Old 09-08-2012, 11:18 AM
pilotx
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Chad Veich

I've also seen the Klass Kote clear used over the top of automotive paints to make them nitro resistant.

+1 I have done this on a recent project and it has proven to be Nitro resistant at least up to 20%. Now i wouldn't leave it covered in Nitro for Days at a time.

Old 09-08-2012, 02:36 PM
pmerritt
My Feedback: (118)

Are you sayingIcould use most anypaint as an undercoatif I lightly buffed it with 400 grit and then applied a coat (or two or three) of the Minwax urethane? I'm not doubting you, just gettting clarification for future project use. The urethane should/would act like a clear coat protection?
ORIGINAL: irocbsa

I think it is a common misconception that Rustoleum is nitro proof. In it's modern form it definitely is not, at least not to 15% nitro fuel which is what a lot of us use. From what I understand, in it's heyday Rustoleum was quite fuel proof but then Big Brother madated the elimination of most of the VOCs that were in spray paint so now it is just as un-nitro-proof as the rest of the off the shelf brands.

I have small drops of 15% nitro on spinners that I have painted with Rustoleum and the paint bubbled in seconds. Top Flite Lustrekote is nitro proof to about 20%, but it stinks to high heaven so for your lungs' sake only use it outside. I typically use clear satin finish Minwax spray polyuretane to nitro proof any paint job that I do. Holds up quite well.
Old 09-08-2012, 03:04 PM
PatrickCurry
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: irocbsa

Not unless they've changed it in the last couple years. I use gloss Rustoleum on my plastic SPADs and it holds up well with no top coat. I think maybe the problem is there are several *types* of Rustoleum now and folks aren't getting the right thing. But maybe it's changed recently and the paint I have is still the old forumla.
Old 09-08-2012, 03:08 PM
mike31
My Feedback: (67)

Normally fuel proof was used to coincide with nitro fuels way back.
Old 09-08-2012, 03:11 PM
PatrickCurry

ORIGINAL: Chad Veich
I have found a few select colors of Rustoleum that seem to be resistant to nitro fuels up to about 15% but not all of them by any stretch. Particularly the metallic colors are definitely not! (Ask me how I know.)
Correct. The metallics have never been "nitro fuel proof". To my knowledge, these are the only ones that are nitro proof:

http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=24

I have also used the Walmart brand paint and a couple others..... basically, if they're the gloss enamels, they work well if you give them a couple weeks to cure. Any of the "for plastic" paints or anything other than the stinky old gloss oil enamels won't work.

Old 09-08-2012, 03:51 PM
jefflangton
My Feedback: (23)

So will the flat protective enamels be nitro resistant too? Thanks for all the info guys, much appreciated!
Old 09-08-2012, 06:52 PM
check6ii
My Feedback: (12)

Warbird Colors. The best there is. You wont regret it-
Old 09-08-2012, 08:50 PM
PatrickCurry

ORIGINAL: jefflangton

So will the flat protective enamels be nitro resistant too? Thanks for all the info guys, much appreciated!
I don't think so..... it's only the GLOSS, but I can't say for sure. Everything I've ever seen has said only the GLOSS and that's all I've ever used and they have worked ok for me.

Old 09-08-2012, 09:00 PM
PatrickCurry

ORIGINAL: check6ii

Warbird Colors. The best there is. You wont regret it-
I do have to say...... I've used Rustoleum successfully but I fly mostly SPADs. They fly GREAT, but they're plastic and they're cheap. I might have a few days in an airframe where a balsa kit might have you a few MONTHS in an airframe. I also do some woodworking and know a couple days of finish can ruin a couple weeks of work. If it's "your baby" I wouldn't try to get by on the cheap on the covering or the finish.... you'll be disappointed. I'm one of those who likes to get by on "the cheap" not because I'm cheap, but because I like trying out "new stuff" which is one of the reason I like flying SPADs. But I wouldn't recommend trying to get by on "the cheap" when you've put a bunch of time into "your baby"..... I'm just sayin'. Use Warbird Colors, or some type of urethane, or some auto finish or whatever. ESPECIALLY if it's your first, or if you're the nervous type, or you don't like experimenting or whatever. "A finish can cost as much as a beginning." But it's worth it, because it's all part of the process if that's your thing. And yes, I just made that up, and yes, I probably should TM that.

Old 09-09-2012, 05:10 AM
tunakuts3d

with all the choices out there,especially with the many types, names ,specific use's, etc.,etc.,that rustoleum has on the market; not to mention the wide variety of rattle can paints that can be had at wal mart or auto parts stores ,I think that unless you're using a product that is specifically marketed to the model airplane enthusiast like Klass coat or Warbird colors to name a couple,one should always do a TEST panel before using something on your plane. Even when a fellow modeler shows you his good results with one type of product and you purchase the same, theres still a chance the manufacturer may have changed the formula and your results could be very different. Again just my opinion.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:50 AM
KaP2011
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have recently tried some epoxy appliance paint that I picked up at home depot. The black has worked great however the white seems to be fuel proof but it stains a pink color. I use 10% Omega fuel. I have only seen 3 colors, black, almond, and off white.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:05 AM
ululi1970

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I contacted WarBirdColors twice recently inquiring about ordering some paint, and I never received an answer.
The website is sill on, but mentions supply problems. Has anybody ordered successfully from WBC in the recent past?
If so, how?

Thank you