Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Genesis Offshore Brushless RC Twin Hull (1045mm) from HK

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Genesis Offshore Brushless RC Twin Hull (1045mm) from HK

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 05:23 PM
tebbsyboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Genesis Offshore Brushless RC Twin Hull (1045mm) from HK

Incidentally NobodyFamous, I noticed that you were using a Garmin Venture HC to keep track of performance. How do you rate it? I'm looking to get something to do a similar job.

Anyone got any recommendations for a waterproof portable handheld GPS unit for monitoring boat performance? I'd appreciate any recommedations (or tales of woe) that might point me in the right direction. Thanks.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:23 PM
NobodyFamous

sounds good, pull the trigger and get er done! (I hate out of stock items, happens a lot at OSE)
Old 09-07-2012, 11:26 PM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The new version 3 T180 escs with the extra caps are plenty good for upto 6 s and im not so sure you need to run a seperate bec,the older ones had issues but the new models work fine from what ive seen and a friends running them on 6s with no problem,ive seen a few guys running them with the built in bec,ill be using two in a large Apache build soon on 6 s.As for the hv 200 +swordfish why use that on 6 s its not needed,fine if you plan on 10 s.As for the 4082 or 4092 id say these are not really needed for a small boat like the genesis,stick to 4074 and small props,just my opinion.
Mart
Old 09-08-2012, 05:06 AM
tebbsyboy

Thanks for the feedback martno1fan. Yeah I guess I'm just more keen on some of the additional features offered by the Swordfish - data logging and PC connection are a big plus for me. It might be overkill somewhat, but offers upgradeability for the future. Ans I'm big on that!! I hear what you are saying about motor sizes, but I see and hear too much soild stuff from guys running the bigger sizes in the Geneisis and propping up when they like. That just seems to offer more bang for the buck. Still it is all llve and learn - I might yet change my outlook.

Thanks again for sharing   I appreciate and learn from everyones feedback..
Old 09-08-2012, 05:19 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No problem m8,thing is the Genesis is such a small boat and all the extra expense isnt needed so i was trying to save you some $$,but if you plan on reusing the gear later on something bigger and better then no probs.
Mart
Old 09-08-2012, 10:57 PM
tebbsyboy

I have a question on propellors. Has anyone tried an X447 prop on a Genesis (or similar) with a Leopard 4082 or 4092? I'm assuming the 4092 would do a better job of this due to the extra power, but I wondered whether either motor would perform OK without overloading/overheating. Anyone?
Old 09-09-2012, 05:07 AM
rnkeng

My buddy just got a HK Genesis and will be running it on 2 4S 3700's in parallel. Does anyone know the diameter & pitch of the original 2 blade plastic prop?? Also would appreciate prop recommendation for the above package as the original probably won't last very long.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:53 AM
F1madness

Well guys here it is all finished and ready to go this is the hull Tebbsyboy i was on about
Couple of areas not happy with but the hull is nice and strong yet seems a nice weight with everything in 
Not my ususal style but thought id throw some vinyl on that i got left over from other projects just to give abit off a look but overall for a 1st looks pretty good 
Just charging the batts then off for a maiden run
Old 09-09-2012, 06:07 AM
tebbsyboy

Very sharp F1madness!! Nice and clean under the hood and no doubt a few tweaks will be in the offing if it shakes down well. It looks a fair bit shorter than the Geneis - or is that just my imagination? Either way I'll look forward very much to hearing how it goes and *touch wood* a bit if video...
One question regarding cooling. All your install have a very clean look to piping and it seems to follow a continuous loop. I'm assuming that you pick-up from the rudder and cycle through all devices before exit. Is that the case? I see some builders put in additional pick-ups, either on the transom or underside of the hull, and cool some items (esc generally) separately. The flaw I saw in separate cooling is that the esc (generally) seems to have a programmable temp cutout. So if the rudder fouls and no water comes in for cooling, the esc shuts down and all parts (hopefully) are saved. If the esc and motor are cooled separately and the pickup feeding the motor fouls, it will just burn out. True? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on this.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:16 AM
F1madness

Thank bud
Its actually longer and wider than the genesis 
Im just about to leave to run it and will get some vids and start my own thread with more info
Ill comment more when i get back when i have more time 
But i only use the rudder pick up normally but will see how this runs to see if i need to up the flow of water round the other thing i use is 4mm ID cooling pipe 
OOOO something else i just rembered aswell make sure you upgrade your bullet connectors i use 6.5mm on esc,lipos and motor 
Old 09-09-2012, 06:29 AM
tebbsyboy

Well I never would have guessed it was larger. It certainly looks higher - the genesis looks more like a bullet!! This is a pretty boat though. I will look forward very much to some video!!

Ta for the feedback on cooling. Upsize the bullet connectors (check - will get right onto that) and 4mm ID cooling pipe... I thought that was the standard ID for the Genesis? Or do you replace all the cooling lines? I'm going to get in some 4mm anyways and replace when I swap out all the internals - the lengths will no longer match up.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:31 AM
tebbsyboy

Hey there rnkeng,

I too have and HK Genesis inbound (though not yet here) so I'm not sure of the original prop size. But there is a lot of good stuff about props on Page 4 of this forum. Specifically posts by richy99_99 (@ 9/7/2011 10:04 PM) and F1madness (@ 10/8/2011 3:47 PM).

These indicate an Octura X438 (38mm) if you retain the existing hardware. You might even be able to get away with Octura X440 (40mm).
Old 09-09-2012, 11:23 AM
tebbsyboy

Hey F1madness, I am just now re-reading your post relating to upgrading the bullet conectors to 6.5mm. I gather this so they don't get so hot with all the extra current flowing - so is this just best practise? Also do you upgrade the cable to something more resilient, or is the standard gauge stuffup to the job?

Note: I intend to do this anyway, but suddenly realised that I will need to upgrade my charger cables, parallel splitter cable(s) and other sundry cabling as well. Fortunately I have not bought any of this yet, but I had lined up much of it. I will make the required changes to pre-orders today.

Thanks again.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:34 AM
F1madness

Hi tebbsyboy
I noticed when  i 1st started running my setup the connectors would get very hot so i upgraded them and yes they would get warm but not as hot 
My buddy had his 4mm connectors actually desolder themselves they got that hot  so i dont take the risk now and just run the 6.5mm right through
Check OSE he should have them or 6mm will suffice
Old 09-09-2012, 11:40 AM
tebbsyboy

And just standard cable yeah? I've checked with a local electrics supplier and they have a wide range, so I can get a bunch of connectors cheap and upgrade as needed. No big dramas
Old 09-09-2012, 11:47 AM
F1madness

I use 10awg silicone cable if i need to but not very often you have to add cable
Old 09-09-2012, 01:01 PM
NobodyFamous

12 AWG and 5.5mm bullet connectors is all I have been running, so far so good (fingers crossed)
Old 09-09-2012, 01:42 PM
Rebel bay

I use 10AWG silicone cable and 5,5mm connectors, bigger connectors is really useless. Between essc and my NEUmotors the cables are welded
Old 09-09-2012, 04:33 PM
tebbsyboy

Rebel bay I noted with interest your twin engine build, which I gather you have completed now and are running. What propellor setup did you go with in the end? And did you have any succes with theHopf 3bladed ones? And did you happen to have any pictures of the completed build, or perhaps some video of the beast in action? I'd love to see it Thanks.
Old 09-09-2012, 04:35 PM
rnkeng

ORIGINAL: tebbsyboy

Hey there rnkeng,

I too have and HK Genesis inbound (though not yet here) so I'm not sure of the original prop size. But there is a lot of good stuff about props on Page 4 of this forum. Specifically posts by richy99_99 (@ 9/7/2011 10:04 PM) and F1madness (@ 10/8/2011 3:47 PM).

These indicate an Octura X438 (38mm) if you retain the existing hardware. You might even be able to get away with Octura X440 (40mm).

Tebbsyboy...Thanks for your reply. Will check it out.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:53 PM
Rebel bay

ORIGINAL: tebbsyboy

Rebel bay I noted with interest your twin engine build, which I gather you have completed now and are running. What propellor setup did you go with in the end? And did you have any succes with theHopf 3bladed ones? And did you happen to have any pictures of the completed build, or perhaps some video of the beast in action? I'd love to see it Thanks.
Tenshock props work fine on my twin Genesis 2 w 5S, 2 x NEU 1512 1850kV.. Now I' m building a 39" deep vee with one CC1717 1580kV, two 6S batteries parallel wired.
VXPerformance props are great too cgi.ebay.fr/2X-pcs-VXP-X442-RIGHT-LEFT-TURN-CNC-Nitro-EP-Boat-Propeller-Prop-42mm-1-4p-/310412090935
Old 09-10-2012, 03:07 AM
tebbsyboy

Thank for the heads-up on those VXPerformance props as well. I might give some a try. I see they are CNC Aluminium - how does that perform compared to the Octura (Beryllium Copper)? I want to buy mine in already balanced and sharpened, but the Octuras are hard to find in that state. These might prove a worthy alternative.

I've also found these ones (very similar) that are very reasonably priced, though the sizings are more aligned with the Prather line:

http://www.horracing.com/product_inf...roducts_id=471 (43mm)
http://www.horracing.com/product_inf...roducts_id=465 (48mm)

What do you think? Worth a punt to see how they perform?
Old 09-11-2012, 01:36 AM
tebbsyboy

Upgrading of the standard flex shaft - what options have people used? I have heard good things about the using the Motley Crew upgrade (upgraded .150" cable)have been planning to go with that:

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...se-cable-mcrew

Unfortunately that has suddenly gone out of stock so I am considering the OSEalternative:

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...?prod=ose-1190

Has anyone used this? I am aware that it does not come with the dog drive or propellor nut or teflon liner, but the increased strength appeals (upgraded .187 cable). However I am not prepared to change the stuffing tube... So I guess my question is will this upgrade (with the teflon liner)still fit the stock tube???

Old 09-11-2012, 04:43 AM
NobodyFamous

you can also use this one, http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...=ose-cable-ul1 All those "upgrade" cables are the same thing, just different lengths.  The one in my Gen. is right around 12" cut down. The one for the super vee might be a perfect fit, but it may be a touch too long or short.

Just get the UL-1 cable, it is in stock now and long enough.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:35 AM
tebbsyboy

Thanks for the heads-up NobodyFamous
<script></script>
Yeah I had noticed that the other upgrades were only different in length of shaft - but then I never knew what the original length of shaft was. Now it seems I have an option!! Nice. However I just realised that the bushings http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=oct-oc6ltsb are still on back-order, so I can't complete the damn thing anyhow!! I'll put the UL1 in my basket for when they arrive.

Out of interest though, is this the line most people have gone down? It sure sounds like the easiest option with minimal change. However a part of me would like to have some idea of how much extra pain I would need to go through to put in the .187 cable. I'm not prepared to upgrade the stuffing tube at this point (if it ain't broke...) but if it is possible I would consider. So can it be done...???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.