Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Servo Buzz

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 10:52 AM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servo Buzz

I am building a new plane and I have the wing lying on my build table with the aileron servos in it. These are Hitec HS425BB servos, brand new, right out of the box. I am driving them with a Futaba 6EX radio and Orange receiver both of which are on the table next to the wing. I also have a Volt Watch plugged into the receiver. My concern is with a buzzing noise that occurs intermittently when I power the system up. Usually the buzzing can be eliminated by moving the aileron stick a couple times. When this buzzing occurs, the Volt Watch indicates a heavy load on the battery by lighting the lowest red light. When I move the aileron stick a couple times and the buzzing stops, the Volt Watch moves to one of the upper green lights. Long story short, the battery has a heavy load on it when this buzzing is going on and the load is removed when the buzzing quits. I don't want this to happen while I'm flying and I could lose battery power and then the plane. Is this a bad servo? Or am I missing something here?
Old 09-10-2012, 11:20 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Servo Buzz

It is either a bad servo or whatever the servo is driving is being stalled or over loaded. Does it do it with nothing connected to the servo arm? If so it has to be a bad servo or some sort of short circuit occurring in the leads between the battery and the servo.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:01 PM
P-40 DRIVER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would take the servo arm off and see if the buzz goes away. your ailerrons maybe binding in some way. The battery may be your issue, even loaded up it should dipping like that. Maybe almost flat or a bad cell. Your receiver so close to your transmitter may also be causing issues. Servos will buzz trying to position so I doubt its the servo.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:56 PM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take the cheap orange Hobby King Rx out of the picture and see if the buzzing stops.. Usually the buzzing is caused by the servo trying to center. The Rx may be sending bad signals to the servo. Hitec 425bb servos are very good quality and I've never had a problem with them. Sometimes a servo will buzz went it's trying to center and whatever it's trying to move is binding it.

For instance, Using a servo on the throttle and the end throw of the throttle is short of where the end throw of the servo is. So the servo is trying to push the throttle arm past the throttle stop.

Old 09-10-2012, 08:59 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

I thought about the receiver causing this also. It is a new receiver, but I realize that doesn't mean much. The battery was not fully charged, so I am going to charge it fully and see if it makes any difference. If not, I will have to buy another receiver to replace the Orange because I am not going to be moving receivers back and forth between planes. I sincerely doubt that these Hitec servos are bad.
Old 09-23-2012, 03:41 PM
Ronvdh

I've heard the same buzz with Hitec HS 485HB servos.

I have 4 installed in a newbBig Stick, 2 out of the 4 have failed within the first hour of use. The first time the elevator servo died in the air causing a crash The second happened today. The throttle servo died while still on the ground. When they die they just quit working. 

I'm calling Hitec tomorrow. 
Old 09-23-2012, 04:17 PM
edjahar42

I've got std Hiteck servos in one of my planes, one of the aileron servos buzzes everytime I power it up, if I tap on it, it quits. The servo is 3 years old and works fine, and does not drain my battery.
Ed
Old 09-23-2012, 04:24 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Servo Buzz is usually not a big deal. Usually, Analog servos Buzz and Digital servos Whine when they are under a slight load. I think the tighter the Deadband, the more likely this will happen. Remove the Servo Arm and see if the servo continues to Buzz. Check the Control Surface to see if it is Binding.

You can connect a Wattmeter or H9 Current Meter between the servo and the Rx to check how much current the servo is drawing normally, and when it Buzzes.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:47 AM
1THEPALMER
My Feedback: (1)

The unit may be in high speed mode check, I just took a quick look on the HK website and did not see mention of which mode the rec. ships set in but recall? a mention of factory set as high speed. You are running analg servos so must be in low speed (normal) mode 22ms frame rate.
A bit of buzz @ powerup if normal, I find this more on 2.4 than 72 MH