Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Easy Glider Pro on my wish list!!!

Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Easy Glider Pro on my wish list!!!

Old 12-22-2008, 10:05 PM
rcontroler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Easy Glider Pro on my wish list!!!

I am contemplating getting one and want some experienced opinions on whether I should go with other power combinations than what Multiplex recommends for decent to warm (not hotliner type) climbs. [Maybe the setup that Multiplex recommends already provides this type of performance.] I have NO EXPERIENCE with LiPo batteries or chargers other than what I have read. Still using NiCds and brushed motors in my current models. Yes I know I have fallen behind the times....
Mainly looking for some feedback from folks who may have one of these in their hangar.
Old 12-26-2008, 12:48 PM
elmog

Default RE: Easy Glider Pro on my wish list!!!

Did you get an Easy Glider Pro for Christmas? I haven't seen them available yet in hobby shops where I live. I have an Easy Glider Electric that I fly and find it to be an excellent aircraft for the money. The Pro version should make it a lot easier to to mount a brushless motor of your choosing. I believe that's the only difference from the Easy Glider Electric. The price did seem to jump up a bit though. The Easy Gliders are great flying machines and will stand up to a lot of abuse. I fly mine from the slopes and have a custom firewall on it that lets me mount a small brushless so I can go to the schoolyard and launch to find thermals. There are better gliders available for doing aerobatics as the roll rate on the EZG is rather slow. They do thermal great if there is any lift around. As far as power, I would shoot for about 35 amps (or more) to get a really fast climb rate. Also, use a folding prop of at least 12 inches to take advantage of all that power. I use a rather small brushless and get leisurley climbs...not exaclty a warmliner. I'm running about 15 amps. I do get a lot of climbs out of it, though.
I just started using Lipos and find them to be quite different than the nimh batteries. Charging is critical and it's a good idea to use a cell balancer. I picked up the "Equinox" balancer and it works great! You can put it inline for balancing while charging or just plug in the Lipo and it will balance the cells apart from the charger. For the few extra dollars it's a lot better deal than the "Blinky" balancer. Charging at 1C (ex: 1C for 1500mAh batt = 1.5 amps) is highly recommended and is a safe level that keeps the batteries from overheating and shortening their life. BTW, I was waiting in line at the AMA show last year and the guy in front of me shared how he lost all of his airplanes and the trailer they were in when he left his lipo unattended while charging. He didn't catch it soon enough and everything went up in flames. It's a good idea not to charge them next to anything that is combustable and the use of a "lipo-safe" sack is a good idea. Hobby Shops carry these fire-proof sacks. I would also recommend using a quality connector such as Dean's and make sure to properly install the shrink wrap around the soldered connections. Shorts in Lipos can lead to disasterous results. Jim
Old 12-26-2008, 02:14 PM
rcontroler

Thanks for the tips and insight Jim.
I have not purchased anything yet. Am leaning towards getting all the stuff Multiplex recommends though. That way I feel things like the battery will at least fit inside the model? If I remember, it calls for using a 2S 3?00maH battery and the 12 inch prop. Was looking at the Blinky balancer (w/ThunderPower adapter which is required for the MultiPlex battery) along with the MultiPlex charger. The Turnergy battery chargers intrigued me some but I wonder about how well they might work over the long haul. Sometimes I wonder how biased some of those 'reviews' might be?
Old 12-26-2008, 08:25 PM
elmog

Many folks run a 3 cell lipo by performing a little foam surgery while the fuselage is still in two halves. The extra cell of the 11.1 volt lipo will give you about 33% more power and will affect the climb rate accordingly (if you can efficiently transfer the extra power to the prop). I suppose if you go with all Multiplex components you won't run into any component compatibility issues and will make life simple. There are much cheaper alternatives as you are aware. A good example is the Zippy line of lipos that is marketed by Hobbycity.com. I puchased some of their 1500 mAh 3-cell batteries and am perfectly satisfied with their performance. They barely get warm in use and stay cool while charging @ 1C. You might take a look at these batteries and see if there is one with the dimensions to fit the EZG Pro. While you are shopping Hobbycity, you might take a look at some of the customer reviews on the products they sell. I believe that they are on the level. While you are looking at chargers consider one that will charge multiple batteries at once. It's kind of a pain to keep monitoring batteries (about an hour each) one at a time. A 4 battery charger trhat would charge them all at one time would be a real time-saver.

As far as reviews that you read, I would rather take the word of many people who have actually owned and flown the reviewed aircraft/product than the word of someone that was paid to construct and test fly a product that was provided to him for free. A rotten review might mean the last time you ever review one of their products. It would be awful tempting to "pad" the review to ensure future offers of free airplanes or fees. Jim
Old 01-04-2009, 11:54 AM
iflytailies
My Feedback: (82)

I have the new Easyglider Pro, and I like it. I used to have the previous version as well. I would say the Elapor foam is stiffer in the Pro version. You can trust Multiplex with the recommended setup for the Pro. The Easyglider (EZ) is a great design, you will be able to fly it without problems since it is so docile! Go with the recommended set up, it will just fit in. Here is a video of my Pro flying around a pole:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMqdymoQoxg

http://iflytailies.jimdo.com/
Old 01-04-2009, 01:44 PM
rcontroler

Thanks guys for all the the feedback and such.
The EasyGlider Pro kit arrived at my local hobby shop and I purchased it yesterday. The recommended power kit and battery remain on back order. Will begin assembly shortly. It is raining now and weather folks are calling for much the same in the foreseeable future.
Very cool video there joedoe. I am excited!!
Old 01-18-2009, 09:10 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have the original Easy Glider with a Multiplex recommended brushless power package. Flies great. I just love it.

You should do well with yours. Please post your results. Also, a few photos of mounting the motor would be appreciated.
Old 01-18-2009, 01:13 PM
rcontroler

Power kit and battery remain on backorder. Power kit is supposed to be on the way. This will give me a chance to try painting Elapor, if the weather warms some. May have to take it to work, where it is warmer, to paint it. Lunch hour fun![8D]
Will try to take some pics of motor install, if I can figure out how to post them. We'll see....
Old 03-22-2009, 09:42 PM
rcontroler

I got so hurried installing the motor and stuff I forgot to take pictures.
I finally got out to the field to fly my new EasyGlider Pro today. Let me tell you I LOVE the way she flies. The power is plenty adequate and my 2nd and third flights each exceeded 35 minutes!! Can't wait to go again. Got to put some ICY HOT on my neck tonight though!!
Thanks to all who responded to my inquiries about this model I rate it A+++.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:49 AM
snuts

rcontroler you touched on multiplex charger, I did buy one from my local hobby shop.
My $250 charger cycler (2002) failed after getting wet, another story. I learned an oughfullot about the VALUE of a good cycler from that one.
By cycling etc. good battery managment payed for itself in only a year I am sure. No dead packs, and knowing the healht of all your packs PAYS.
So when I replaced that cycler I upgraded to the multiplex. Which got me into electrics, being able to charge lipo's. After 1 month I purchased a second one.
Belive me having two of these sure makes electric flight so much more convienient then all my strocker, and gas
Bottom line from a fella that upgraded to the mutiplex charger, I am highly recommending it.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:21 PM
walkermsg

I got the EG pro and the suggested power unit. I put a 3S Lipo and it was hard to control because of the speed. Straight up, I suggest a 2 cell lipo or putting in a smaller prop. , I lost track of the plane while trying to trim it out and broke the prop. It is impossible to get the original prop from any place I have tried. The prop is a CAM and has a nice spinner. You'll have to replace it with an APC and not use the spinner. It still flies but looks pretty bad without the spinner. Tower Hobbies told me to try and buy one from Multiplex, of course they don't sell to individuals. No one else carrys the original but have subs that don't look good.
Lee
Old 10-10-2009, 01:32 AM
juanes1969

Tower hobbies has the original props for the EGPro/Himax power package right now. First dind the Cularis kit, scroll down and find the Cularis power package and then the prop listed. It is the same one used in the EGPro.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:03 AM
Mark C
My Feedback: (26)

Does the power set up that the sell as a package for the Easy Glider Pro have similar power as the Radian (not Radian Pro).
Old 09-10-2012, 09:13 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

There are, or used to be two set-ups. The larger of the two would be comparable to the Radian.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:19 PM
Mark C
My Feedback: (26)

Thanks, you would'nt happen to know the product # would you?