Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Vortex SS no second gear

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 09:06 AM
marcus742

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vortex SS no second gear

To everyone who has helped me through my problems Thank you very much.

I have discovered why my truck has lost second gear. Seem i have worn out the 2nd gear spur gear, I am very puzzled as to why this happened. The truck has been run maybe 15 times since i took it out of the box almost a month ago. I have ordered new trans gears for it and am waiting on their arrival to repair.

Can some one shed some light on what adjustments i need to make to prevent this in the future or is this a common for normal wear and tear. The gears are plastic aridding on metal gears off the engine so i winder if this is to be expected. I have been doing a lot of WOT runs and throttle bashing to get theengine tuned. (Forgive me if i let my Noobness shine through ),

should i be checking the gear meshing? First gear appears to be ok. Now just to refresh the larger gear i assume to be 47T gear looks fine in my truck, however the smaller 42T gear is worn to almost slick. Also no adjustments have been made to shift timing or engine mesh. not to say i have some pretty amazing crash flips in my short time learning to control this bulllet on wheels.

What am i doing wrong.

Thanks again

Old 09-10-2012, 03:44 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Vortex SS no second gear

it sounds very much like your motor was cocked off to the side.
the motor mounts (screws underside) are how you set the gear mesh.
But its possible for the motor to be alittle sideways...allowing one gear to mesh better than the other.

Or its possible that the driveline recieved a shock while it was in second gear. Landing from a jump with the throttle on will shred spur gears.

when you install the new trans, make sure that the gear mesh is set good....and then use some loctite on the motor mount screws. without loctite, the screws can loosen up or allow a impact to move the motor a tiny bit. that will make the gear mesh larger and cause the gears to strip again.

Those screws, and the gear mesh are always good things to check every time you run the truck.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:54 AM
marcus742

Thank you,

I never thought to check the mesh. With my extreme learning curve and this being my first Nitro RC i expected many repairs. I am just thankful the parts are reasonably priced and relatively available. So far it has been a fun experience. My hope is is that the more i learn to control the truck and run it properly the fewer parts i will be replacing. Though i am not holding my breath on that one.

Thanks
Old 09-11-2012, 08:29 AM
RenegadeRC

re"> I completely agree with nitrosportsandunerunner. But be sure to only use blue thread lock on those motor mount screws because if you use the red you will strip the head the next time you need to remove the screws and that's no fun.
re"> When you set your gear mesh for the first time use very thin paper between the gears when you are installing the engine. Paper like receipt paper works well. Set the gears tight then after everything is installed turn your gears and roll out the paper and your mesh should be spot on.
re"> Also you can order a whole trans mission and drop it in it costs a little more but its a whole lot easier than taking the transmission apart plus you have the old trans for parts if you have other troubles. The P/N for the whole trans is 06034 I think its only like $22.00.

Sam
Old 09-11-2012, 08:35 AM
marcus742

Thank you,

Ihave seen the videos for the repair of the trans and studied them closely. If i understand the repair i should not have to remove the engine to remove the trans. I ordered both gears 47T and 42T even though the larger gear appears to be un-damaged. If this becomes a regular occurnece as i fear it may. I will then order the entire trans to make field repair easier then i will always keep a ready running spare in my bag.

After replace the gears i will then check the mesh and adjust accordingly.

Thanks Sam and Nitro
Old 09-11-2012, 09:01 AM
RenegadeRC

Remember to loosen the engine from underneath to set the mesh.

Good Luck and your welcome
Old 09-11-2012, 09:27 AM
marcus742

I do have a question, should i look into metal gears for my trans (if even available) or stick with plastic to offer a cheap fail point? They offer most every thing on this truck in plastic a metal replacement. should i be considering some of the metal upgrades?

Old 09-11-2012, 02:42 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: marcus742

I do have a question, should i look into metal gears for my trans (if even available) or stick with plastic to offer a cheap fail point? They offer most every thing on this truck in plastic a metal replacement. should i be considering some of the metal upgrades?

IMO, stay with plastic. set right, they shouldnt fail often. proper checking of your model after you have run it will allow you to spot issues before damage is done.