Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

Am I the only one who flies pattern with no mixes in their plane ??

Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Am I the only one who flies pattern with no mixes in their plane ??

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 09:38 AM
danamania

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Am I the only one who flies pattern with no mixes in their plane ??

Another way to look at the choice to fly without (even minor) mixing is that it is an easier choice to make by the pilot who is not competing?
Old 09-10-2012, 09:47 AM
Portlandflyer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: cmoulder

What radios are the SPA guys using these days?

Babcock escapements
Old 09-10-2012, 10:54 AM
essyou35
My Feedback: (11)

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Strong brag thread.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:15 AM
JAS
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: flycatch

Your right however your also wrong. Most old school pattern fliers used the fingers not thumb method to fly. With the advent of computer radios the stick bangers joined the elite club of the pattern fraternity. What this caused was the crash of pattern flying. Without computer assistance how many people would be into large scale 3D? I at one tme flew pattern and still have one. Now I'm into scale and use mixing for quite a few functions.
Being a flyer of both pattern and 3D (used loosely), I didn't know anything about trimming when I first started pattern flying (or flying for that matter). As my brother and I both started really young, we both learned with our thumbs as our fingers were busy holding the transmitter from falling to the ground. At first I didn't use dual-rates, and don't think I started until I started flying the 5uaps in 1987. I think it was 1989 or 90 when I got the 9vap and still didn't use mixing/expo because I didn't know what it was. After a year or 2 I experimented and asked around and started using p-mixes and expo (even end-point adjustments). Now I couldn't imagine not using expo/dual-rates in my pattern/IMAC/3D set-ups. Mixing in my competition planes is nice and especially in FAI probably needed to be where I am, but for 3D and sport planes, I don't really bother with it cause I'm not trying to do anything more than have fun. I often think back to the days when I didn't have mixes/set-up knowledge and even dual-rates. I think because I didn't start with all of those things, I am a more aware pilot.

One thing I do wonder at times is if I could learn to fly 2 finger, at least on the right stick (ail/elv, mode 2) for pattern to see if I could be any smoother, but almost 35 years of flying thumbs is hard to break. Besides, how can you move your fingers fast enough to do all the changes during a snap roll
Old 09-10-2012, 12:44 PM
rrragmanliam
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Bozarth
Why? Precision flying is designed around the pilot putting the airplane precisely where it needs to go - not fighting a poor design with coupling issues. What if I want to compete with a tail-less delta design? Can I use a mechanical mixer for the aileron/elevators? Can I tweak it if the mixing isn't just right? If so, can I do it via radio mixes? What if I want to fly a V-tail? Can I add a mechanical mixer? If not, every time I input elevator, the plane yaws. Am I cheating if I mix this coupling out? What if I set my plane up better than the other guy; am I cheating?

Mixing out coupling issues is different than snap-roll buttons. Mixing out coupling issues is the same thing NASCAR crews do during track days.

This is also different than a closed loop flight director type program.

Kurt
The short answer is because it would put the emphasis back on design, build, and pilot skills. I’m not saying mixing is cheating because as the rules stand it isn’t. But it wouldn’t bother me if mixing (mechanical or electronic) were banned from COMPETITION. Do what you want for sport flying I’m talking about competition.

By the way how may V-tail aircraft have you seen in pattern competition?

rrragman
Old 09-10-2012, 01:27 PM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: rgburrill

ORIGINAL: Granpooba

ORIGINAL: can773

Do you drive your car with anti lock brakes and traction control turned off?
Yuppers, I do ! My 1981 Corvette never heard of such options ..........
Which is why your 1981 Corvette was great in the straightaways but a real mess in the corners.
It is funny that you say that it was a real mess in the corners. With the suspension upgrades I find that my 1981 Vette is one of the best handling cars that I have ever driven. I can honestly say that because of its response and ground hugging, I feel that it actually saved my wife and myself from a head on collision with an out of state stupid tourist. He crossed into our lane and I had to swerve hard to avoid him. I sincerely doubt that a lot of other cars would have handled the hard turn and would have tracked so well after I swerved.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:56 PM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: rrragmanliam

Silly. You are missing the point. Must be because you are from Arvada!

Kurt - from Aurora

P.S. rrragman, come join us at the indoor fly-in this Sat. at Foothills Arena (www.BozarthHomes.com/IndoorRC.htm)
We will also be having more pylon races in 2013 at the new Airpark Elite field (www.AirparkElite.com)
Old 09-10-2012, 02:41 PM
rrragmanliam

Silly. You are missing the point. Must be because you are from Arvada!
Kurt - from Aurora
You could be right your not the first to point that out

Thanks for the invite I'd love to check it out.

Darren
Old 09-10-2012, 04:05 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

ORIGINAL: rrragmanliam

Why? Precision flying is designed around the pilot putting the airplane precisely where it needs to go - not fighting a poor design with coupling issues. What if I want to compete with a tail-less delta design? Can I use a mechanical mixer for the aileron/elevators? Can I tweak it if the mixing isn't just right? If so, can I do it via radio mixes? What if I want to fly a V-tail? Can I add a mechanical mixer? If not, every time I input elevator, the plane yaws. Am I cheating if I mix this coupling out? What if I set my plane up better than the other guy; am I cheating?

Mixing out coupling issues is different than snap-roll buttons. Mixing out coupling issues is the same thing NASCAR crews do during track days.

This is also different than a closed loop flight director type program.

Kurt
The short answer is because it would put the emphasis back on design, build, and pilot skills. I’m not saying mixing is cheating because as the rules stand it isn’t. But it wouldn’t bother me if mixing (mechanical or electronic) were banned from COMPETITION. Do what you want for sport flying I’m talking about competition.

rrragman
Trust me. Emphasis on design, build and pilot skills is there in pattern today, in some respects I think more so. The current sequences are more demanding on airplane and pilot then ever before. Recently in a conversation with Jim Kimbro he was talking about his and Matt's airplanes and some of their weaknesses and strengths. The weaknesses he was bringing up were so minor that most pilots would not even notice. To compete and not optimize your equipment would just be foolish. If you are not up to the task of correctly trimming ( including mixing ) then simply put you will be stuck at the bottom of your class.

Old 09-10-2012, 07:13 PM
oliveDrab

ORIGINAL: essyou35

Strong brag thread.
Very, very strong.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:15 PM
oliveDrab

ORIGINAL: JCINTEXAS

I'm with you Ryan. I flew Pattern in the 70's when transmitters didn't have all the bells and whistles, TV screens and computer functionality. Now I fly pattern maneuvers just for my own enjoyment and not at contests. I have never used ''mixes'', or snap-roll buttons...I don't even use dual rates...just my fingers on the control sticks.
Best Regards
...just my thumbs on the control sticks.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:38 PM
speedracerntrixie

ORIGINAL: oliveDrab

ORIGINAL: JCINTEXAS

I'm with you Ryan. I flew Pattern in the 70's when transmitters didn't have all the bells and whistles, TV screens and computer functionality. Now I fly pattern maneuvers just for my own enjoyment and not at contests. I have never used ''mixes'', or snap-roll buttons...I don't even use dual rates...just my fingers on the control sticks.
Best Regards
...just my thumbs on the control sticks.

I would have to say this pretty much explains it all. If you'r a guy who wants to compete in pattern then you will use every advantage including mixing. If you are sport flying pattern manuevers without a pair of judges behind you it just dosen't matter. Let's take a poll, who here that dosen't use mixes has competed in a pattern contest in the past 2 years? Who does compete on a regular basis that does not use mixes?

Old 09-10-2012, 08:00 PM
cmoulder

If you are sport flying pattern manuevers without a pair of judges behind you it just dosen't matter.
I suspect this is dead on target.

And I also suspect that guys who disdain all the fancy-schmanzy programming stuff are also intimidated by it and aren't interested in learning it. Quite a few times I have set up radios for rates and expo for guys who hadn't taken the time or had the interest in understanding these simple functions, let alone stuff like roll coupling and pitch coupling. Scrolling through the menus is for some an overwhelming ordeal.

It boggles the mind that there are guys who prefer to fly an out-of-trim airplane or one that is unnecessarily twitchy when the solution to the problem is literally right there in their hands.

Another very common theme is that there are people who simply abhor the idea of opening a manual and reading and absorbing the information pertaining to equipment use.

For the guys pooh-poohing technology, what do you use in the way of radio equipment?
Old 09-10-2012, 11:44 PM
Rendegade

Heathkit!

I've also noticed that a lot of the guys simply can't tell the difference between a well trimmed plane and a poorly trimmed one, and hence don't give a stuff about their setup.

If you're not aiming to create perfect geometry every flight, does it matter whether you're off on by a few degrees all the time?

Personally it drives me mental, but each their own.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:49 AM
rctech2k7

Well, it’s all depends on your preference, rules, etc… You might be gifted with more skills, if it’s true then you could fly better with those features. It’s an advancement although it’s also depends on the type of airplane and flying style considering you fly from small to large scale including turbine jets which require more flying condition…

My suggestion is if your radio has feature and it will be useful and better for you go ahead use it. Full scale pilots are very well educated, skillful and specialized for their job but they use high end features of their aircraft too. It’s there primarily for safety. Other than that, mechanical and human factor can affect performance especially when high workload and stress are involved. Scientist, engineers and tech are working hard on this to keep away from any error... And for me, it’s really far better if it’s there regardless of its function that during the urgent time that we need it’s available…
Old 09-11-2012, 10:41 AM
GerKonig

ORIGINAL: cmoulder

If you are sport flying pattern manuevers without a pair of judges behind you it just dosen't matter.
I suspect this is dead on target.

And I also suspect that guys who disdain all the fancy-schmanzy programming stuff are also intimidated by it and aren't interested in learning it. Quite a few times I have set up radios for rates and expo for guys who hadn't taken the time or had the interest in understanding these simple functions, let alone stuff like roll coupling and pitch coupling. Scrolling through the menus is for some an overwhelming ordeal.

It boggles the mind that there are guys who prefer to fly an out-of-trim airplane or one that is unnecessarily twitchy when the solution to the problem is literally right there in their hands.

Another very common theme is that there are people who simply abhor the idea of opening a manual and reading and absorbing the information pertaining to equipment use.

For the guys pooh-poohing technology, what do you use in the way of radio equipment?

I think you said it best. I do not fly jets, but all the models I fly that have flaps require a minimum amount of mixing otherwise they balloon when flaps are applied. Heck apply flaps to a trainer (Telemaster) w/o some mixing with down elevator and be ready to see some big time ballooning. I know that a lot of old-timers are afraid of technology (fortunately not many), a real shame. Of course I could dust my old 35mm Nikons, and leave the digital at home, but why?

Gerry
PS: Yes, by not using mixes, pretty much you are in a group of yourself... Using a Kraft radio? Ace? Maybe home made of a kit? No gold sticker?

Old 09-11-2012, 11:10 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

O.K watch this. I build arfs, that makes me abuilderand I only use nicads. Bring it on
Old 09-11-2012, 11:10 AM
David Bathe

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Jez' this thread i 3 side now!
It's like half of the no mix brigade believe that the computer radio mixes are actually flying freakin' aerobatics!
What computer assistance are we talking about here? 2% aileron to rudder? 1% elevator to throttle... it's peanuts!
Todays F3A pilots are in a bleedin' class of there own... do you seriously think that CLPR or Myre couldn't fly it out with thumbs? 
Do you actually they give a s#it?
Troll.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:01 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Guy told me one of the local pattern flyers has zero mix in his new model and apparantly - it needs none .
Old 09-11-2012, 04:32 PM
Mastertech
My Feedback: (31)

ORIGINAL: rmh

Guy told me one of the local pattern flyers has zero mix in his new model and apparantly - it needs none .

So he hasn't flown it yet I take it?

Tim
Old 09-11-2012, 04:35 PM
cmoulder

Osiris or Proteus?[8D]
Old 09-11-2012, 05:01 PM
speedracerntrixie

ORIGINAL: Mastertech

ORIGINAL: rmh

So he hasn't flown it yet I take it?

Tim
Priceless LOL

Old 09-12-2012, 09:46 AM
steph18

it is my case on may last pattern only rudder give a very small deviation on tail is necessery. for the rest no mix
Old 09-14-2012, 10:56 AM
Columbus Ron

Matt, that is why you can't beat Anthony

Old 09-14-2012, 12:03 PM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Along with Jason's comment.. if there was 1 thing I wish I could do differently, it would probably be to change to mode 1.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.