Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Best engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 12:51 PM
TheDIESEL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Best engine

Just bought a .30 lrp I'll keep you all posted after I break in the engine.. It may be a week or two because here in Texas it is still over 100 degrees..
Old 08-06-2012, 08:58 PM
bertinoj

How did u get the 44t spur to fit
Old 08-07-2012, 06:25 AM
llkoolskillet

Just like the 47 and 52t spurs. No mods needed
Old 08-22-2012, 05:38 PM
hiramholbroo716

wow this one is fast
Old 09-07-2012, 09:34 PM
ace@
My Feedback: (9)

what about the LRP 32? the guy a tthe hobby shop is trying to push that one on me says its the newest best one out now? Anyone own one?
Old 09-11-2012, 09:06 PM
ace@

Hey Guys quick question. I have the RB TM728 is the Picco 28 better? not modded or anyting.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:53 AM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ace@

Hey Guys quick question. I have the RB TM728 is the Picco 28 better? not modded or anyting.

well the RB is the netter built engine, but the Picco is more powerful...the RB also has a better carb...but as I say, it also has less poer then the Picco...the 728 does tune easy tho and is very stable when broken in
Old 09-12-2012, 11:30 AM
steed2-inactive

I have the lrp 30 and 32. they both run fantastic...........till they get hot, then they both suffer from inconsistent idle and are almost imposible to start up hot. Before someone says that piston is shot, thats not the problem, the pinch is good, i am pretty sure its a carb issue. My handy old f4.6 will idle for days and start right up hot, it, unlike the lrp's, has a composite carb. I may do some research and find a comp. carb that fits the lrps.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:24 PM
llkoolskillet

The LRP 30x carb is insulated where as the 30 and 32 carbs are not

I never had any issues with my LRP 30 runnin hot
Old 09-12-2012, 05:48 PM
ace@

i would love to get a clockwork picco 28 but they are always out of stock. I want top end but still be able to do wheelies and have power...
Old 09-12-2012, 06:02 PM
steed2-inactive

ORIGINAL: llkoolskillet

my lrp's run hot every single time i run them, Never once has the engine ran and stayed cold. Usually 225-275.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:18 PM
llkoolskillet

ORIGINAL: steed2

my lrp's run hot every single time i run them, Never once has the engine ran and stayed cold. Usually 225-275.
Those are normal temps, hot is 280+

ORIGINAL: ace@

i would love to get a clockwork picco 28 but they are always out of stock. I want top end but still be able to do wheelies and have power...
If you want power grab an ERCM Picco

Old 09-12-2012, 08:52 PM
steed2-inactive

280 plus is normal under some circumstances. do a couple speed runs and youll hit 300. allthough it comes back down pretty quick. I tune by noise and smoke on;y and use temp only if needed. when u said hot, i figured you meant hot as in normal running temp as 225 and up is hot ..lol. your talking about overheating, and i agree, i have never had mine overheat (excessivley). maybe a little crispy once and awhile...lol. are you running the lrp 30 x? If so do you have any issues restarting it hot?
Old 09-12-2012, 09:10 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ALL the SH engines I've had - three Mach 427's, two Sportwerks 26's, an LRP Spec 3, a Dynamite Big Red .28, a Losi 454, and now an LRP 30X, all run on the cold side.. IMVHO if you have them running hot, something is off. Back in the day 2DMAXXLST used to post videos all the time of his Machs and LRP's making good power at like 170, and racing at 200-ish.. This has been my experience too. I run a cold plug (OS A5/#10), and get good performance, not to mention life out of them.. That said, they do have a kind of erratic idle, that needs blipping to keep it from cutting out. For the price and power and ease of use, etc.. though I can live with that.. I especially like my Big Red and now the LRP 30X.. But honestly I loved my Machs and LRP Spec 3 too.. They just did their thing - and very very well... They all lasted forever too, except in the couple unfortunate instances where air filters flew off..(RIP Spec 3, which was still going strong at what must have been ten gallons....)

Hot plugs IMO kill power. Here in this video, look at 1:55 and see where the Big Red kicks the wheels up on the 1-2 shift.. Making good power, and running 210ish probably, with an OS A5 plug - but possibly an Odonnell purple, which I am also liking very much.. OS 8's and MC59's etc.. I don't like so much..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kOPfSkcDcU

I got my Big Red for like $130 at Amain, and being an SH engine, put like 4-5 tanks of an easy break-in through it, and then letter' rip.. Zero issues in like three years and I don't know how much fuel.. Cheap, simple, powerful, reliable.. THAT to me makes for "the best engine"...

BTW, in that video the carb ball-end got ripped off the 454 in my basher LST2.. So I rummaged in some boxes and found an old Mach carb, and fixed it in two minutes.. The cheapness and ubiquity of SH engines are significant advantages..

ps IMO the ideal temp range for SH engines is 200-235.. This has been the case too with the 3-4 temp guns I've had, and all the engines.. Basically, once you hit 180, letter' rip, and maybe richen it a tiny tad if it gets too much north of 250...
Old 09-12-2012, 09:32 PM
The_Shark

the most powerful engine I have ever run is the Jammin JPX .21, they used to make a .28, both are discontinued, but they are just VERY agressive, not as smooth or efficent as my nova P5X but much more explosive. its essentially a picco engine and italian made.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:38 PM
HerrSavage

For me, more and more the "best" engine has more and more to do with price.. If I spend €200+ on an engine, my expectations are higher, and yeah, it's just nicer to get an engine for €64 shipped, like I did my Nosram RS.30RR (LRP 30X).. - from a shop, because they were just being sold off.. Knowing you got a good deal on an engine definitely makes it more fun to thrash it...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8XhXFWIZe8&feature=relmfu[/youtube]

I'm also finding that, in this hobby, if you're patient, and willing to put in the time to look for and find and wait for the deals, you can get really good ones.. From now on I only really buy engines that I get basically stellar deals on.. There are too many out there to be paying full price... For people who don't have the time or patience to look and wait, fine.. But it really is crazy to see people trying to sell their Nosram RS.30RR's used for €100+, because they paid the €230 new price....

BTW, anybody looking for a good buggy or truggy .21, amain has a good Go 5-port for $99.99... I had the older version(couple of them actually) - and it was a very good engine..
Old 09-13-2012, 03:30 AM
llkoolskillet

ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

ALL the SH engines I've had - three Mach 427's, two Sportwerks 26's, an LRP Spec 3, a Dynamite Big Red .28, a Losi 454, and now an LRP 30X, all run on the cold side.. IMVHO if you have them running hot, something is off. Back in the day 2DMAXXLST used to post videos all the time of his Machs and LRP's making good power at like 170, and racing at 200-ish.. This has been my experience too. I run a cold plug (OS A5/#10), and get good performance, not to mention life out of them.. That said, they do have a kind of erratic idle, that needs blipping to keep it from cutting out. For the price and power and ease of use, etc.. though I can live with that.. I especially like my Big Red and now the LRP 30X.. But honestly I loved my Machs and LRP Spec 3 too.. They just did their thing - and very very well... They all lasted forever too, except in the couple unfortunate instances where air filters flew off..(RIP Spec 3, which was still going strong at what must have been ten gallons....)

Hot plugs IMO kill power. Here in this video, look at 1:55 and see where the Big Red kicks the wheels up on the 1-2 shift.. Making good power, and running 210ish probably, with an OS A5 plug - but possibly an Odonnell purple, which I am also liking very much.. OS 8's and MC59's etc.. I don't like so much..

I got my Big Red for like $130 at Amain, and being an SH engine, put like 4-5 tanks of an easy break-in through it, and then letter' rip.. Zero issues in like three years and I don't know how much fuel.. Cheap, simple, powerful, reliable.. THAT to me makes for ''the best engine''...

BTW, in that video the carb ball-end got ripped off the 454 in my basher LST2.. So I rummaged in some boxes and found an old Mach carb, and fixed it in two minutes.. The cheapness and ubiquity of SH engines are significant advantages..

ps IMO the ideal temp range for SH engines is 200-235.. This has been the case too with the 3-4 temp guns I've had, and all the engines.. Basically, once you hit 180, letter' rip, and maybe richen it a tiny tad if it gets too much north of 250...
How is it that the general concensis is that during break in your supposed to get the engine upto 200f and keep it there for a various amount of fuel. Based off your statement above your just taking the whole breakin process and dragging it out way to long. A motor does not make full power until all the pinch is gone. All your doing by running your motors cold and rich is just exteneding the life of the motor. Runnin a cold plug and having to blip the throttle to keep it alive is a tuning issue. A properly tuned LSN and idle gap you don't need to blip the throttle with a cold plug. Basically I disagree with how you run your motors, but there yours not mine and I'm only one person. As long as you have fun that's all that mattress

I do not run a 30x but run modded Piccos and they start just fine when there ran above 300f. They only get that hot from constant high speed runs haha. During all my speed runs I never used a temp gun. Good tuners don't use them
Old 09-13-2012, 05:34 AM
savagecommander

During all my speed runs I never used a temp gun. Good tuners don't use them

maybe thats why you have motors with huge scratches down the bore? just a thought.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:58 AM
llkoolskillet

Ha ha so you think running a motor hot will scratch a motor? Please explain this to me.

dude the scratch was from something foreign entering the motor.

Also what does the purpose of a temp gun serve if your motor has smoke uptop, screams off the line, with overall killer power?
Old 09-13-2012, 06:30 AM
savagecommander

hey man, its your money.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:16 AM
llkoolskillet

ORIGINAL: savagecommander

hey man, its your money.
Just as I thought.....
Old 09-13-2012, 08:00 AM
HerrSavage

ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

I got my Big Red for like $130 at Amain, and being an SH engine, put like 4-5 tanks of an easy break-in through it, and then letter' rip.. Zero issues in like three years and I don't know how much fuel.. Cheap, simple, powerful, reliable.. THAT to me makes for ''the best engine''...

How is it that the general concensis is that during break in your supposed to get the engine upto 200f and keep it there for a various amount of fuel. Based off your statement above your just taking the whole breakin process and dragging it out way to long. A motor does not make full power until all the pinch is gone. All your doing by running your motors cold and rich is just exteneding the life of the motor. Runnin a cold plug and having to blip the throttle to keep it alive is a tuning issue. A properly tuned LSN and idle gap you don't need to blip the throttle with a cold plug. Basically I disagree with how you run your motors, but there yours not mine and I'm only one person. As long as you have fun that's all that mattress

I do not run a 30x but run modded Piccos and they start just fine when there ran above 300f. They only get that hot from constant high speed runs haha. During all my speed runs I never used a temp gun. Good tuners don't use them

Well I disagree with your disagreement ha ha...

I've actually got several buggy race engines, and am learning how to tune them "normally" - i.e. differently from how you tune the SH engines(IMO). I feel like at this stage I've had enough SH's to know how to get what I want from them - and am happy with it.. With the buggy engines, yeah, you need a small idle gap and correctly tuned LSN to get a decent idle.. But with SH engines IMO it's hard to get a good idle whatever you do, and using a hot plug robs performance, and some people even say they get boiling fuel and hard to start when hot engines or whatever.. I have never had that problem, I get good performance, the engines live very long, etc.. I just have to blip the throttle. IMHO you cannot get a basher MT engine like the Machs and LRP's etc.. to idle like a buggy race engine.

Anyway, here are a couple of my recent tuning sessions with my non-SH engines:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WRg6cWpDEY&noredirect=1[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biuD8MitduM&noredirect=1[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1i5F8UwS0MQ[/youtube]

IMO, SH just tune differently.. - IDK - maybe because the carb is "lower quality" or whatever... You sacrifice a stable idle, but can get good performance for a good price, and good longevity too... I'd buy another LRP Spec 3 or Losi 454 or Mach 427 or Dynamite Big Red .28 in a heartbeat. But I'd run a cold plug with a rich-ish bottom and blip the throttle...

And here are a couple SH engines, running - IMO - well...:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeBRnW1ct-c[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LBUR8XVsZU[/youtube]

But they need to be blipped...
Old 09-13-2012, 09:05 AM
purenitro33

Properly tuned and with the right plug selection (medium) the SH/LRP/Mach engines will idle all day long. They are not high compression engines so running a cold plug will cause your tuning issues at idle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQ8te...3&feature=plcp
Old 09-13-2012, 10:02 AM
HerrSavage

With a cold plug I see a noticeable increase in top end. And that many times on many engines over years. I've also raced truggy (and buggy) with a Mach 427, so racing would have preferred a hotter plug for better idle... But when going back to an A5 power was better. Definitely.

I've also spent plenty of time over the years messing with the tune on these engines trying to get a better idle but still have the power, but always come back to the tune with a rich-ish bottom and spotty idle, but with good top-end power. Also, part of my point is that I have NEVER had this "boiling fuel" issue - which IMO comes from running the engines too hot..

As stated earlier though, I really like the Odonnell purple plug. And dislike the OS #8 and McCoys..
Old 09-13-2012, 02:15 PM
llkoolskillet

Like I said there your motors not mine and you don't need to show me proof.

Also the reason you get more power out of a cold plug is because you can lean them out more ontop. But then again based off what you said you run them rich anyways so leaning them out for you would just be entering the performance tune stage.

Again if your having fun and they work for you great. I just think you can get more power than you have with a better tune.

I to like odonnels plugs OD100 and OD99

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.