Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DA 150

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 04:36 AM
airtourer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DA 150

Hi All,

I have two questions regarding the tuning of my DA150, any suggestions appreciated.

The engine has had forty flights at ten minutes a flight plus ground run time setting up and tuning. It is running well producing lots of top end power,idles nice and transitions well. The propeller is a 32x10 Menz and running 50:1 oil using standard DA mufflers. Oil was originally Motul but now Mobil 1 as this is the only high quality oil available to me.

Two questions, will I have to re tune the engine if I change the prop to a 32x12 ?

Secondly it spitts a lot of black oil from the mufflers. There was no difference in the amount of oil with either the above brands. If anything the low end needle could be slightly rich. Is this normal during the run in period, how long will it take to disappear.

I have a video a friend made after about the 5th flight where the low end needle was definitely too rich. It has been leaned since then.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=plcp&v=yYXHG7Iul1c

Any suggestions,

Paul

Old 09-12-2012, 07:14 AM
redbiscuits
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: DA 150

Keep in mind I don't claim to be an expert, but I will share with you what the gasser guys at my club told me.
When breaking in a new engine they suggested using Pennzoil Air-cooled 32/1. Breaking in an engine and seating the ring will take forever if using synthetic oil. The motor spitting out black junk is going to happen with any oil before it is fully broken in. I run between 3-5 gal of gas mixed with Pennzoil before I switch to high quality synthetic. When breaking in I notice a big difference week to week as the motor breaks in and the power goes up. It's almost unbelievable how much these engines change. When I start seeing it level off, I go to synthetic 50/1.
Just my humble opinion, hope it helps.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:39 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Both of the DA 150's I have had did spit a little bit of black goo coming out. The first one I called DA and was told not to worry about it. My engines saw hundreds of flights, ran great and did the same thing. I wouldn't worry about it. A 32X12 is going to be too much prop. The best props for the 150 is 32X10 for sequence flying and 30X12 for 3D
Old 09-12-2012, 09:55 PM
airtourer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Red and Speedy,

Thanks for your assistance,

Paul