Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

1/16 E-Revo (MRV) overheating?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 05:20 AM
swcheese
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/16 E-Revo (MRV) overheating?

So, I recently aquired through trade, a 1/16 scale E-Revo VXL. It had shredded tires so I went to my local hobby shop and the salesman told me they were having issues getting the OEM tires and sold me a set of bigger wheels and tires. This gave me better ground clearance but I noticed that the motor was getting screechin hot in about 5 minutes of run time. I put in a smaller pinion gear which lowered the top speed, and presumably reduced the stress on the motor.5 minutes later the motor was still screechin hot. I put in a fan cooled heat sink, thatdidn't seem to help at all. My question is this....Despite the fact that the salesman told me "Lots of guys are running this wheel and tire combo" should Ijust try and order OEMreplacements online or is there a way to check the motor for an internal problem that might be causing the overheating issue? Thanks for your time and help!
Old 09-13-2012, 06:32 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: 1/16 E-Revo (MRV) overheating?

you would have to take it apart

btw don't trust clerks at the LHS... they are there to sell you stuff.
As for the overheating without knowing if the prior owner changed the spur kinda hard to say sounds over geared though. Remember putting bigger tires on raises the gearing so it might not be a little bit depending on how much bigger they are.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:12 PM
CarGuy7a

How hot is "screechin hot". Without actual temp numbers it's hard to say. Some people may think 150°F is screechin hot but that's a fine temp. You'll want to stop running it if it hits 180°F, anything higher can damage the motor. Manufacturers say 200°F is where damage to the rotor can occur, but stopping at 180°F is safer because the internals of the motor will be hotter than the outside can. Also if the previous owner did get the motor heat to 200°F or higher, it will heat up faster than a motor that has never been overheated.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:35 PM
SavageSpawn
My Feedback: (2)

How hot is too how for the stock ESC.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:13 AM
JawzSS

ORIGINAL: SavageSpawn

anyhting close to 200 degrees i believe

get yourself a decent temp laser infrared temp gun.. it will save you many head aches!

Old 11-05-2012, 08:26 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: JawzSS

ORIGINAL: SavageSpawn

anyhting close to 200 degrees i believe

get yourself a decent temp laser infrared temp gun.. it will save you many head aches!

and burnt fingers
Old 01-15-2013, 05:40 PM
hexonxonx
My Feedback: (2)

i have 1 1/16 scale traxxas brushless also and have noticed its easy to create wheel drag if you tighten the wheel nut a lil bit too much. if all 4 are a little too tight that would be a lot of extra drag on the motor even with the smaller pinion. personally i gently tighten it and then back off just a bit.