Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Best type of car for grass

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 12:15 AM
On2_n_On4

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Best type of car for grass

ORIGINAL: JohnP2

I agree with this. Plus there are so many variables to grass (the height, the type, the soil, etc.)
yep..
theres a place I go to, is a mix of short grass/sand/dirt... is not that bad.

just stay away from tall thick grass like st augustine... MTs just float on it

Old 09-13-2012, 04:27 PM
SLAYERDUDE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is just my opinion, and if you are a noob to RC it may be a blast running the buggy on any surface... just for the thrill to be doing it regardless of what type of RC it is.
But I used to have so much fun running my nitro 1/10 RC10GT stadium truck in parking lots, grass, dirt, etc... UNTIL I had my first taste of 1/8 nitro monster trucks.
After just one time going thru the gears in a flat parking lot with my friends Savage, I had to have one!
My RC10GT would pull wheelies, drive up curbs, and handle nearly any terrain, but it's very tame compared to a MT.
Now I have an 1/8 Truggy and an 1/8 Buggy, neither gets used for bashing because the MT's are just that much more fun to bash around on any surface.
If you have a track or rough terrain near you, the buggy should be a blast for years to come, but if you are a flatlander like me it may get boring real quick compared to the thrill of trying to keep a monster truck under control.

Buggy/truggy on flat land = drive back and forth in different directions and never worry about flipping it unless it traction rolls.
MT on flat land = WHOA! back off before this wheelie gets out of hand, CRAP! another wheelie!!! SHE'S GONNA ROLL! back off and try and get control while I take this turn so I can grab another wheelie!

Basically I'm saying I have MT's, a buggy and a truggy.
The only times the buggy and truggy get driven is if there is an actual track with jumps involved because that's where they excell, and the only time I have fun driving them.

Old 09-13-2012, 06:44 PM
bjfrankl

I almost ordered a Savage, but I liked the Hyper 7's price, escpecially since this is my first rc car. I'm still second-guessing myself because it was a hard decision. I'm sure that I will buy a monstor truck at some point.

Any advice for running my Hyper 7 for the first time? For example, breaking in the engine, the best fuel to use, etc.?

Bjfrankl
Old 09-13-2012, 08:34 PM
SLAYERDUDE

Break in the engine on flat land like any other vehickle.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:40 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

this video might help some understand how tuff the 7's are

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tncEgjMaqc[/youtube]
Old 09-13-2012, 09:59 PM
chonyc77

I agree with some of SLAYDUDE's points. There is something about a MT that no other RC offers. It is kind of fun running an RC that requires some skill from the driver in order to keep the RC from rolling over or from doing wheelies. Its actually lots of fun. At the same time though, it could get annoying at times. The best way i could describe it to someone getting into RC's is as follows....

The MT will be like a wild powerful beast ripping up through anything in its path. Bouncing all over the place, wheeling on command, and hopping along.
The 1/8 buggy is going to be like a well tuned off road machine which is going to feel more like a race car off road. Flying through anything it has ground clearance to go over. On road its going to be pretty much the same thing. It is going to handle on road like no other off road RC.

They are both extremely fun to drive on and off road (this is why i own one of each). The MT could at times get annoying with all the wheelies and roll overs it does which gets annoying after a while since you cant really turn at full speed with out this happening. I am huge into handling and this is why i love taking out my 1/8 buggy. There is just nothing made at the moment which could handle off roading better than a 1/8 buggy can. If you where to do laps on anything off road, there is nothing that will put in a faster lap time than a 1/8 buggy will. This is reason enough imo to want one!

Enjoy your hyper and post one here your impressions. I guarantee you they will be extremely positive ones!
Old 09-15-2012, 09:58 AM
JohnP2

ORIGINAL: bjfrankl

I almost ordered a Savage, but I liked the Hyper 7's price, escpecially since this is my first rc car. I'm still second-guessing myself because it was a hard decision. I'm sure that I will buy a monstor truck at some point.

Any advice for running my Hyper 7 for the first time? For example, breaking in the engine, the best fuel to use, etc.?

Bjfrankl
You sound much like myself. The Hyper 7 was my first (mainstream) hobby car. We've loved it. After about six months, I got a Savage. Not because I did not enjoy the Hyper 7, but because I enjoy it so much, I wanted another off-road vehicle just in a different class.You'll figure out what you like about it/what you don't like. From there, if you are inclined, there's no law against having multiple RC vehicles to meet your various needs.

As for breaking in, I'm not going to open that can of worms. ;-) You can find plenty of information on the internet for it. Any other questions on it, check out my YouTube channel and you'll see some videos of it.

Thanks!
Old 09-15-2012, 04:34 PM
bjfrankl

Do I need to put air fliter oil on the foam filter before I run the car for the first time, or has this already been done at the factory?

Thank you,

Bjfrankl
Old 09-16-2012, 09:47 AM
SLAYERDUDE

There should be an outer pre-filter and an inner main filter, if you pull the outer foam off you will be able to pinch the inner foam and get oil on your fingers if it's been oiled.
Don't trust the small asian children to have done it for you even if the manual states it's been done at the factory.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:25 PM
bjfrankl

It appears that the inner and outer foam air filters are not installed. Do I need to put oil on both of the inner and outer foam pieces? And how much oil do I put on the foam?

Thank you,

Bjfrankl
Old 09-17-2012, 05:21 PM
JohnP2

ORIGINAL: bjfrankl

It appears that the inner and outer foam air filters are not installed. Do I need to put oil on both of the inner and outer foam pieces? And how much oil do I put on the foam?

Thank you,

Bjfrankl
To be on the safe side, it won't hurt to apply some air-filter foam oil prior to running it. Folks make fun of me, but I clean/re-oil my foams after every run. Perhaps it is overkill, butthe extra five minutes gives me a peace-of-mind. ;-)

As to how to apply it (specifically for the Hyper 7),see myvideo on it via the link below:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRs-9-emA28

Thanks!
Old 09-17-2012, 08:20 PM
The_Shark

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

this video might help some understand how tuff the 7's are

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tncEgjMaqc[/youtube]
wing mount- $15, bolts for shocks $2, exhuast coupler $4

IF it had been a certain MT i've had before (you know which one) bulkeads X 7 @ 15 a pop, skidplates X7 @10 a pop, shock towers @13 X4, knuckles $13, bumper set $15 shock caps $5 and god knows what else.... and I'm not even kidding you.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:31 PM
bjfrankl

The_Shark - Nice video. Did you have any broken parts after going over that jump?

JohnP2 - Thank you for the video on adding oil to air filters. The video answered all of my questions.

I hope to run the car this weekend. The weather is supposed to be a bit cooler than normal (mid 50's), but I've always thought that nitro engines (for airplanes anyways) run well when it's 50-60 degrees. I just have to install the batteries, attach the wing, bind the transmitter to the receiver, and I should be ready to start breaking-in the engine. It doesn't look like I need to do anything else before I run the car for the first time.

Bjfrankl