Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Battlefield Factory Smoke Test

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Battlefield Factory Smoke Test

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 09:08 AM
204sailor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battlefield Factory Smoke Test

All, Some members have requested pictures of the Red October Factory smoker in action.This is my first attempt at uploading a video via youtube,
so be kind in your critisism,lol. Here is the link:
http://youtu.be/CQgMVM2Lijs
Charlie

Old 09-07-2012, 09:32 AM
mustclime

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Battlefield Factory Smoke Test

that thing looks great !!!! killer job.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:58 AM
Martellus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lots of smoke, great effect.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:35 AM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Nice job indeed!

Thinking back to my youth and the steel mills I grew up around, it looks pretty real.

Now if you can train some flies to act like the pigeons that always tend to roost in those places you'd have it nailed.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:47 AM
B.A.D.A.S.S.Force

Very nice work, great smoke effects, it's an awesome factory! Thanks for taking the time to fire it up & share the video Charlie.
All it needs now is an IBU or maybe MAKO unit in it to make it a functional repair factory!

~ Craig ~
Old 09-07-2012, 01:49 PM
yellowshaker
My Feedback: (1)

WOW!! Charlie, that is a workof art! First the windmill and the bridge, and now this! Dare I ask what's next?
Old 09-07-2012, 01:53 PM
204sailor

Thanks everyone,I appreciate your inputs and compliments.

Charlie

Old 09-07-2012, 06:13 PM
Buckeye36
My Feedback: (3)

Looks great Charlie!
Old 09-07-2012, 08:25 PM
204sailor

Thanks, Joe and JIM.found out the hard way that when yiu post "private"videos your videos don`t appear on any channels.Wasted mucho time looking forfiles that are only in my profile page.Still haven`t figured out why the video is surrounded by the webpage with address bars and other videos,but at least I did get it sent.
Charlie

Old 09-08-2012, 05:34 AM
pattoncommander

Looks good Charlie. Is this a standard model Railroad smoker? I use one in my "burning" T-34 and it looks pretty realistic.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:01 AM
204sailor

Pattoncommander, No this is not your traditional railroad smoker.This is a boat smoke unit I took out of one of my tugboats.The
smoke unit ismade by Harbor models located in California.It does use standard railroad smoke fluid however.And thanks for the
compliment
Charlie
Old 09-09-2012, 03:24 AM
pattoncommander

The RR smoker is great to simulate a dead tank. Only problem is requirement for much stronger AA batteries. I use it with my NKPA T-34/85 and it always gets some nice comments. Here it is with my M-46. Not quite tactically correct, but shows what I wanted to portray and easy to set up. What is the cost of a boat smoke such as you use and power source? I have a high volume smoker in my T-100 and would like more smoke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvzvmEK0fwA

Bill
Old 09-09-2012, 11:16 AM
204sailor

Bill,
The smoker was purchased from Harbor models of California and cost $99.00.It requires a 12 volt battery capable of delivering 1.7 amps..Internally
it has three elements,which in a phone call to the company I was told that in the event of an element failing,the other elements would still work. When I asked if the unit could be repaired by me they said it would have to be returned to them for service.If you would like me to post a page or two from
thier website I would do so.Or you could visit thier website at http://www.harbormodels.com
Charlie
Old 09-09-2012, 03:27 PM
pattoncommander

Thanks Charlie,

I pulled up the website and asked about the unit without the fan and operation with four 3.6v AA s
Old 09-09-2012, 09:51 PM
204sailor

Bill, Tonite I had a chance to see your smoking tank video and I think it looks terrific.The way the smoke curls up in wisps out of the "wreckage" makes
it look like a direct hit.I think your display conveys a kill more than your average Tamiya battle system,in which case the tank is immobile after a predetemined amount of hits.The scenario on aR.C. battlefield would really be impressive if one could imagine perhaps five or six tanks smoking while
the two last guys are battling it out.If you think about it Bill,a small module 3/4 the size of a cigarette pack would be carried on the tank so as not to impede the turret motion.The trigger that shuts down the tank on it`s last hit is also conveyed to the smoke unit,and using a pulse omission detector
turns on the smoke generator.
The problem here would be the individuals themselves.Some may not want anything on thier tanks.Some may not want to disturb the wiring in thier tanks.Some may try it out if you gave the smoke unit to them.But it`s good to fantasize.Maybe someday your burning tank video may plant a seed.

Charlie.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:39 AM
pattoncommander

Thanks Charlie,

This idea has been brought up before, to have the DBU actuate the smoker and designate a kill....but looks as if no one carried it far.

I don't do electronic work so wouldn't know where to start. Closest I got was to have Don help me installing a smoker set up in my Syrian Pz IV for an IDF target. When the turret traverses with gun over the LF ,2 micro switches are activated, starting the smoker and flashing lights in the turret, It's the same style RR smoker. I have a high volume smoker in my Egyptian T-100 but need more smoke for that huge turret.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7zTzvC2QCU&feature=plcp
Old 09-10-2012, 11:45 AM
204sailor

Bill, Great special effects.Dramatic conclusion to a tank battle,with the enemy clearly destroyed.And some good looking tanks there.And yes,
Don is a super knowledgeable guy when it comes to electro-mechanical assemblies.I`ve never forgotten his articulated tank commander. And
he is a hellova nice gentleman.We had a nice chat one time about my feelings regarding Charleston,SC,and how nice the people down there treated me while my ship`s main propulsion was converted to steam turbine in 1953.
Charlie
Old 09-11-2012, 07:13 AM
pattoncommander

Don is a great guy and really fighting his health issues, so has had to drop a lot of his tank activities.

Got a note back fro, Harbor....says the smoke unit they have is too strong for my application and would probably cause damage to the tank. Guess I'll stay with standard RR smokers.

Thankis for thye link.

Bill
Old 09-11-2012, 07:53 AM
karel47

nicely done, great feature
Old 09-11-2012, 07:32 PM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Don, not to hijack the thread, but have you considered building a smoker?

Not much to them. Found a build thread a while back on one from a r/c truck forum when I was looking at smoke for my 1/6th Stuart. Need lots of smoke for it.

I'm going to give it a try and see what happens, I have most of the stuff laying around.

http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=25024
Old 09-11-2012, 09:52 PM
204sailor

ThankYou, Karel 47.I also thank you for your ideas on scratch building turret hangers for spare track links,and the use of small brass rod for door handles which I copied onto my Panther G.
Charlie

Glacier Girl, Yesa smoker can be homemade,and thanks for supplying the link for people whomay want to try making one.In my case it was more convienientto buy one.Also,the executive officer wouldn`t be too happy if our toaster only worked on one side.
Charlie
Old 09-13-2012, 01:06 PM
pattoncommander

The Seuthe Railroad smoker does great. Only drawback is the 3.6V AA batteries to supply the required voltage to kick off the smoke.
Batteries from Ebay...naturally Chinese, but they hold up pretty well. It gives a 25-30 minute smoke time before refills and recharge takes about 30 minutes. Uses standard RR smoke.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59840.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	1800772   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79286.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	217.4 KB
ID:	1800773  
Old 09-13-2012, 09:35 PM
CHIEFSONN

Wow Charlie that is fantastic you out did your self on this. the video you took of it in operation looks great along with your explanation during the filming.thanks for posting it. if all goes well I am hopping to attend on Sunday so that I can see this on the field along with some of your other outstanding hand made items. Wayne
Old 09-13-2012, 10:25 PM
204sailor

Wayne, Thank you for the compliments,my friend.I plan on bringing the factory to the Waldwick field this Sunday.I do hope that some bystander does`t
make a call to the fire dept thinking that it`s really a fire instead ofmodelrailroad train fluid,lol.
Charlie
Old 09-14-2012, 07:26 AM
CHIEFSONN

If that should happens lets just hope that these fire fighters are into tanks or tankers themselves, thus maby then we will have more tanks to battle with or against at our next meet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.