Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Goldberg Tiger Club

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Goldberg Tiger Club

Old 09-15-2012, 05:56 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Goldberg Tiger Club

SeaJay,

It is a B-29 that has been photoshoped.

But I wonder.... If Burt Rutan could make one fly
Old 09-15-2012, 08:06 PM
SeaJay
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Crazy4Flight,

Ok, I thought I was loosing my mind..  I know they were doing some wild stuff back in the 50's and 60's, but I know I had never seen something like that!!    good job with the Photoshop! 

as far as balancing my tiger, I luckily have some lead bar that is about 1/2" x 5/8" I just cut a 4" length, put it in place, added a little bit more of the Stick on weights, (needed about 12oz total!)  screwed it all in place, and I should be good to go.. 

Craig.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:22 PM
Crazy4Flight

the photo shop is NOT my work picture has been on the internet for some time.

12 oz of lead, Yikes! Next time use a BIGGER motor at least you get more power for the wieght added.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:33 PM
bikerbc

I was out flying my Tiger 60 today...I had a great time...Not so good for some of the other guys though..Two of the club members put there planes down in the swamp where they are almost imposible to find....One got lucky, his was electric and after he got a canoe he paddled out too the edge of the bull rushes and he could hear it beep in responce to the transmitter so he was able to locate it but the other one is a Escapade on a Glow and its somwhere out there in the middle of the swamp Bull Rushes so thick you cant paddle through, Way to deep to walk..I think its a gonner....The Electric one was close to the edge...You could not see it but you could hear it...It went straight down and never got a scratch...He brought it back and flew it again...I almost felt guilty to be havin so much fun with tigger..I was spinning and staling and knife edging as best I can and generaly just playing all by myself up there in the blue with my Tiger...I really like that plane . I am quite interested in trying the DLE 20 in one now we have talked about it...I might just start up a build here in the next little while.... Juat what I need , I wanna get back at my BUSA 1/4 Cub , But it wont take long to build a Tiger..Maby a month...I am Starting a Big Spit with 4 other guys too.We are all building one...Just getting thre stuff together now..Retratcs and the like..Lots of wood...Those elliptical wings are big . Canopy and spinner are $40.00 each . It should be a puddy cat to fly with that big wing..A buddy has a smaller one ( I think about an 6 footer ) and his can move pretty good or slow rite down when he lands , He has flaps and they help ... We are going to use the DLE 30 in ours...Those are powerfull little motors....Funny when I think of the size difference between the Tiger 60 and the Spit we are building and then putting a 20 on the Tiger and a 30 on the Spit....I think the 20 might be way big for Tigger but still maybe not too bad...I have seen them on the Pulse 125 and it was fine...I think a home built Tiger 60 is a far stronger air frame than the Pulse evere thought of being...It should handle the DLE 20 and not Shake itself apart...Anybody out there try it yet?
Old 09-16-2012, 10:19 AM
RDJeff
My Feedback: (11)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: RDJeff

ORIGINAL: bikerbc

I havent had any thing too do do with it or even seen one but I would bet that it is a fun little plane...I would not be scared of giving it a try...As long as its not too expensive...Smaller ones can somtimes be a bit more of a handfull to fly . When I looked it up I see it is discontinued....Where are you finding one?
I'll tell you after I pick it up!
The LHS had one, but it's in my shop now!
Old 09-16-2012, 10:20 AM
RDJeff
My Feedback: (11)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Crazy4Flight

How about the Tiger 400? I've been eyeing one for a while, and even though it's an ARF, it ahould be okay with an FP10 or a PAW 1.5 insead of electric. Anybody have any thoughts on this one?
you may have to double up the firewall triangle stock to fuse sides too.

aircraft built for electric only do not have enough strength to absorb the vibration from an IC engine.
I was thinking the same thing. Turns out the plane comes with a 400 motor and prop, so I might have to try electric flying.
Well, I'll be flying this one electric now. I picked up the whole power system after doing a bunch of research. I'll keep you all posted!
Old 09-16-2012, 07:58 PM
bikerbc

Thats Great RDJeff Congrats on your purchase...You are going to have big fun I think... I was out again today with mine, I am really enjoying it...I guess partly the end of summer is taking some of the pressure off..If I crack it up I have all winter to get another going so I can afford to really wring it out at this point , and I have had all summer to tune my flying skills so it seems pretty easy to fly rite now.....Each time I fly I pratice something I am not good at . Rite now I am working on Slips...I Am trying to side slip to lose altitude while landing and I am not very good at it ( to say the least ) I keep losing my track and drifting off the runway... It would be a good skill for cross wind landings...We had wicked cross winds today and try as I might my slips were sloppy..Well fall is comming and along with fall comes wind so I should get some cross wind pratice.... Dont forget to keep us posted on your Tiger 400 project....Are you going to have it going soon?
Old 09-17-2012, 05:38 AM
jkr_1100
My Feedback: (15)

Bikerbc,

when doing slips get the feel for your rudder on the ground. then when you do the slip just hit your rudder to X amount and dont think about it. concentrate and pay attention to keeping your wings level. Also be carefull about allowing the nose to pop up planes can stall in a moment during a slip.

JKR1100
Old 09-17-2012, 05:40 AM
jkr_1100

just picked up another TIGER!!!

this one is a Tiger 2 ARF and has an OS 40 LA on it.

all servos and rec even. for $125. newer Futaba 3003 servos. looks like a winner. I am thinking of putting the Saito 125 on it. I just havn't had a bad experience with too much engine yet.

I may need to fiberglass the front 1/2 of the fuse. What do we think of this?
Old 09-17-2012, 07:13 AM
AJsToyz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A Saito 72 would be plenty, but thats just my opinion. I had a Saito 100 on my Tiger 60 and it could go straight up no problems.

Andy
Old 09-17-2012, 07:39 AM
bikerbc

Congrats If its in good shape you got a great deal....The OS40LA is not enough motor in my opinion...I had a OS 46 AX in one and I liked it..I stuck a OS 55 AX in and it did't really make a lot of differance.... I had to add a lot of lead to the nose so I think the Saito 125might be worth a try...I am thinking about stuffing a DLE 20 in the nose of a Tiger 60 and thats about twice what it calls for....You can always take it out and replace it with a smaller one down the road....
Old 09-17-2012, 12:55 PM
bikerbc

JKR-1100 I am a full size pilot too in fact I used to have my own plane and I understand how to do slips its just teaching my fingers how where the problem lies....Thanks for your input...I am getting old and My eyes and reflexes could be better...I have given up full size flying although it is much easier...
Old 09-17-2012, 04:29 PM
jkr_1100

easier because you are in the plane. and you can see and feel first hand what is happening. I have often wondered. I think perhaps the hardest part of flying full scale is navigation.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:35 PM
jkr_1100

on a somewhat related topic ...

i put a saito .50 on a Goldberg Eaglet. had to add tail weight. need to move the battery back.

What a sweet plane. 9.5 minutes on a 6 oz tank and LOADS of verticle. TF 11X7 wood. almost idles around the pattern

I need to setup my tank better, the vent does not allow me to fill it up past 3/4. if I sat in a lawn chair i sould surf the wind for probably 25 minutes with this setup. really a joy to play with.

so next time you see one at a swap for $20. you may want to pick one up.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:40 PM
jkr_1100

ORIGINAL: AJsToyz

A Saito 72 would be plenty, but thats just my opinion. I had a Saito 100 on my Tiger 60 and it could go straight up no problems.

Andy

Captn. Chode. nice avatar.
The saito 72 is a dream. the 82 is the same case with more bore or stroke. perhaps not as smooth

the thing is that I have a 125 sitting on the bench right now. its calling to me even now. from the garage to the living room.

how can we let a saito sit on the bench. they love to sip gas and haul @$$. lets just hope this tail dragger is tall enough so I am not mowing the grass.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:08 PM
bikerbc

Yes jkr 1100 you are rite Navigation can be stressfull espially in the smoke in the fall or in the rain...I am thinking the new GPS stuff they have nowadays should make things a bit easier....They used to tell us that us mountain pilots were the best navigators but I always thought that it would be tougher to navigate the praries because it all looks the same....True if you are forced down in the mountains you have your work cut out for you but if you are prepared you should be okay...I have had it happen twice...And yes you are rite when you are in a full size you can feel and see what it is doing first hand and correct instantly (VFR) so that makes it much easier..It sounds like you are quite farmilliar with full size yourself...
Old 09-17-2012, 08:23 PM
jkr_1100

just a lot of simulator time. I "flew" a six seat float plane once. problem is that is was all trimmed out and on course. So flying it was just trying to not move the controls.

i have a lot of time on MS flight sim and Janes combat flight simulators. not to mention 2000 hours on Realflight 5

So I took the OS LA 40 off of the Tiger 2 ARF that I scored. took the mount off and made up a 1/4 ply firewall doubler. drilled and found some longer bolts for the blind nuts.

removed the throttle pushrod and cut the tubes back for the throttle and the steering (if it was a tricycle gear setup)

Still need to glue up the firewall double and make some fuse side doublers in the tank area, grind engine mount insides and get engine to fit in without pushing fuse sides out. I already drilled the mount holes are far to the outsides of the fuse as that mount will go

setup throttle pushrod, recess for needle valve, refit hatch and recess for fuel lines,

I thought of doing a through the hatch set of brass tubes for the supply and pressure lines.

i will go get better fasteners and make sure that eveything is the same. I am using some junk fasteners for the mockup.

then i need to try to find a larger tank. it currently has an 8 oz tank. this will not last long with the 125. I might need to do a second tank to allow for longer flight times.

Then install radio, balance and fly. It took a lot of time to clean it up too. I also found that half of the elevator is broken from the joiner dowel. this will probably get glued and pinned to keep me on the up and down so to speak.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:44 AM
bikerbc

Just a thought for your broken elevator dowl after you have it glued together it might not be a bad idea to wrap the dowl with fiberglass cloth and epoxy . You can go out onto the elevator surfaces a little way just for strength ...
Old 09-18-2012, 02:35 PM
jkr_1100

What do you think? is this too much?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30069.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	1802593  
Old 09-18-2012, 03:04 PM
Crazy4Flight

only one?
Old 09-19-2012, 03:49 AM
AJsToyz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, balance it out and fly it! ;-) Thats going to take some looooong landing gear to clear the prop on that one! LOL

Andy

Got to like Chode!
Old 09-19-2012, 03:55 AM
bikerbc

Prop Clearance might be an issue but Other than what could be wrong .. Check and see where you are at with your C of G....
Old 09-19-2012, 05:14 AM
jkr_1100

in addition to the OS la 40 on this plane. the previous owner had screwed a side post battery terminal and another large lead weight to the firewall. he was also running the Harry Higley heavy prop hub on the engine.

I am hoping to mount the engine and balance by positioning the RX pack.

It is coming together

I have all the bolts mocked up for th fire wall and mount. holes drilled and everything fits.

If i can get the throttle hooked up and some epoxy in the fuse with doublers I will be close. I have bigger wheels on it and a larger set of gear. I will get the gear drilled but I want to polish it before it goes on. Still a long way to clear the 16X6 that they say is the sweet spot for that engine.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:48 AM
nh4clo4
My Feedback: (33)

You don' t even need wings with that up front

I have a tiger 60 wing kit, and the plans, I am going to scratch build the fuse and tail.

I have a 91 4 stroke lined up for it.

For the mods,
A - larger rudder and elevator.
B- tail dragger
C-remove at least one rib bay
D-move the wing back 3/4"-1" (to aid in balancing)
E-possibly cowl it.

Any other suggestions?

Ed
Old 09-19-2012, 07:55 AM
Twin_Flyer
My Feedback: (4)

Wouldn't moving the wing in relation to the tail will definitely change the flying ccharacteristics of the plane?

Id make the nose a bit longer instead.

Also, here is a great artice on how to create a cowl for a tiger, from an old issue of RCM.

[link=http://www.rcmplans.com/issues/requested/content/features/r-fe-nose-092000-1.html]Tiger cowl[/link]

Bill S.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.