Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

$500 Budget For RTR basher

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 08:29 PM
Speed917

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $500 Budget For RTR basher

Looking to finally pull the trigger on something that said im unsure of what. Traxxas seems to be the favored choice im currently between the Pede or Slash VXL4x4, I am interested in 2wd but not sure it will work too well in snow grass and wooded areas? Any other options i should be looking at ?Im not trying to go too fast just want the ability to get thru most all terrain.

Thanks for any help. Im pretty open to suggestion traxxas just seem to be everywhere so i figured they are good
Old 09-13-2012, 08:40 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: $500 Budget For RTR basher

traxxas is everywhere because they advertize like nuts, they are ok (and I just mean ok.) but for the price- heck no.

ofna LX1e RTR will cost you $400 some hobbypartz batteries and a cheap charger will run you another $100 bulletproof, durable, fast and capible.

then look at team associated SC10RS combo, brushless, comes with a good charger and lipo battery for like $370- beats the snot out of slash in my opinion.

HPI bullet Flux- durable, 4wd and fast, and for under $330 what a deal.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:03 PM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you were considering the 'Pede 4x4 then I would look at that Bullet Shark mentioned. I'm not hot on Traxxas myself. Their biggest benefit, and this is marginal at best, is that they are so popular that everyone makes aftermarket parts for them. Otherwise, you can find a high quality, durable and capable vehicle from another brand for less.

For bashers I'd look into HPI, Ofna or Axial. I'm not suggesting these brands because I believe they are "basher only brands", but rather that I believe that most of their products are good for many different uses; racing, bashing, drifting and even crawling. Ofna makes some nifty 1/8 brushless vehicles in either ARRor RTR form. The prices are better than you may think.

I'll throw this out there too because it may interest you. An Axial EXO Terra is $199 for a kit. Toss in a Castle Sidewinder SCT or similar system, pick a radio from Hobbypartz along with a battery / charger and you should have a nice setup for less than your budgeted price.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:24 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For a $500 budget, I'd be looking at the RC8Be rtr, or hanging on for the re-release of the Thunder Tiger MT4 G3.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:52 PM
Speed917

Where would i purchase from ? I have one hobby store thats around 25miles away and there prices are around 30-40% higher then what i have found online.Im not sure if i can put sites on this website without getting int trouble i know some site are strict like that

Thank you all for your responses !!! Im looking into all the vehicles listed, I was looking at kits but im not sure i am knowledgeable enough just yet to put one together i mean it cannot be that hard there really is not too much to these but at the same time i rather not take the risk.

How hard is it to make one of these more water resistant for snow or shallow water play ? Will it cause anything to over heat ?

Is it necessary to purchase a brushless system ? can you run lipos on brushed motors and still get power? Whats the maintenance one these things ?
Old 09-14-2012, 05:09 PM
thehuntingterminator

I'd recommend the Axial Exo RTR. I just recently built the kit version and it is an amazing car for the money. The kit only cost me $350 to build and get running and it handles, performs, etc. like a dream. I think the RTR should run you around $480, so within the budget definitely. The RTR is the same as the kit underneath except it comes with electronics and pre-built (obviously), which the kit does not. I would recommend the kit over the RTR because you could then purchase better electronics for it, but if RTR is what you want, the Exo RTR is probably a good option. Mine has been nothing but great so far (besides one issue with a front dog bone but that was fixed in 5 minutes with fuel tubing) and looks awesome too. I didn't install all of the scale details or the body on mine so that I get better performance, but the RTR comes with a body pre-installed. A pic of mine below:
Old 09-14-2012, 06:56 PM
pyromatic177

I have the Ofna LX2e and i built it for for like $300 ( but i had the servo and ESC). And i love it. Great buggy. I bought some new tires and wing and bumpers so now the total is like $370. Here's a pic 

Old 09-14-2012, 07:36 PM
Speed917

They are both some really good looking RCvehicles, what is the main difference between the buggy and the truck ?Besides looks....

ok so with the research i have been doing im finding the HPIBullet use cheap Hobbywing Motor/ESC and not the most durable for bashing and its under powered ?

Took a look at Axial and i notice the make great quality products and use castle creations from which i understand is a great company. Only thing i didnt like was only the EXO1/10 was brushless the rest were brushed.(Thehuntingterminator- Inotice ur model looks pretty different honestly only notice what you had when i read over ur post again haha have you had a chance to run it over some rough terrain? ) Is it that big of a deal ?bc if its not i would just buy 2 different brushed models.
Is it common for the EXO to burn or any rc for that matter worries me a little ......
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUPh9w2enBA

Old 09-14-2012, 10:02 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: Speed917

They are both some really good looking RC vehicles, what is the main difference between the buggy and the truck ? Besides looks....

ok so with the research i have been doing im finding the HPI Bullet use cheap Hobbywing Motor/ESC and not the most durable for bashing and its under powered ?

Took a look at Axial and i notice the make great quality products and use castle creations from which i understand is a great company. Only thing i didnt like was only the EXO 1/10 was brushless the rest were brushed.(Thehuntingterminator- I notice ur model looks pretty different honestly only notice what you had when i read over ur post again haha have you had a chance to run it over some rough terrain? ) Is it that big of a deal ? bc if its not i would just buy 2 different brushed models.
Is it common for the EXO to burn or any rc for that matter worries me a little ......

nothing wrong with hobbywing ESC's just the one HPI used honestly I got no idea why they used it. HPI makes some bizarre choices in their electronics, and honestly they scare me seeing they are usually under powered for the application. I've had 2 different HPI RTR ESC's go up smoking with almost no run time on them out of 4...

As for CC I'm not a fan of their products in all honesty I find they are usually under rated, and over priced for the applications they are marketed for.

out of the RC's mentioned in the thread I'd take the lx2e personally over em all. 2nd would be the pede. If ground clearance worries you I'd guess the bullet will have less than 1/4th of an inch more clearance than the lx2 (based on the difference in size between the bullets tires, and buggy tires.)
Old 09-15-2012, 05:30 AM
BKoz559

Where would i purchase from ? I have one hobby store thats around 25miles away and there prices are around 30-40% higher then what i have found online.Im not sure if i can put sites on this website without getting int trouble i know some site are strict like that

Thank you all for your responses !!! Im looking into all the vehicles listed, I was looking at kits but im not sure i am knowledgeable enough just yet to put one together i mean it cannot be that hard there really is not too much to these but at the same time i rather not take the risk.

How hard is it to make one of these more water resistant for snow or shallow water play ? Will it cause anything to over heat ?

Is it necessary to purchase a brushless system ? can you run lipos on brushed motors and still get power? Whats the maintenance one these things ?
If you choose not to shop local then you can look into these online retailers:

A Main Hobbies
Stormer Hobbies
Tower Hobbies
RC Superstore
RC Planet
The Barn Floor

Building a kit isn't bad if you're a handy person and good with tools. Then to make the vehcile water ready you can use "waterproof" electronics like the products available from Traxxas. There are products you can buy to coat the electronics and do it yourself too. Eitherway, you need a waterproof ESC, servo and sealed receiver box.

Lastly, you might as well go brushless since the initial investment really isn't much higher as reasonably priced systems can be found at hobbypartz.com. The motors are not only more powerful but more efficient and practially require no maintenance; unless you run the car in wet conditions.

Old 09-15-2012, 07:30 AM
thehuntingterminator

They are both some really good looking RC vehicles, what is the main difference between the buggy and the truck ? Besides looks....

ok so with the research i have been doing im finding the HPI Bullet use cheap Hobbywing Motor/ESC and not the most durable for bashing and its under powered ?

Took a look at Axial and i notice the make great quality products and use castle creations from which i understand is a great company. Only thing i didnt like was only the EXO 1/10 was brushless the rest were brushed.(Thehuntingterminator- I notice ur model looks pretty different honestly only notice what you had when i read over ur post again haha have you had a chance to run it over some rough terrain? ) Is it that big of a deal ? bc if its not i would just buy 2 different brushed models.

Mine just looks different because it doesn't have the body installed like I said earlier. Underneath, it's the same thing. I haven't run it on anything but pavement, some small jumps, and grass but it has handled all of those obstacles with ease. It may struggle a little bit in stock form on really rough terrain due to those skinny tires, but some wider, more aggressive tires would likely fix that and the stock tires are pretty good anyway. If you're unaware, brushless is what you want nowadays. More reliable, longer lasting, more efficient, more power, etc. than brushed systems. And also, don't think that HobbyWing stuff is bad just because of the reviews of the Bullet. HobbyWing makes great stuff for the price. Their motors are alright, but their ESCs are phenomenal for the price. I have run 4-5 HobbyWing ESCs and all of them have done great besides one which was my own fault. My Exo has a 70a HobbyWing ESC in it and it never gets over 120 degrees (won't hurt it until it gets over 150, so 120 is very cool). And the best part was that it was only a $40 ESC. Something similar from Castle would have cost easily 3-4 times that and probably have been overrated. Hope this helps.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:32 AM
thehuntingterminator

Oh also, the Exo is no more likely to burn down like in the video than any other RC on the market. It burned because of the lipo battery, not because of the car itself.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:41 AM
Speed917

Hoping i get to the hobby store today to check out what some of these guys look like and hopefully drive but not sure how the store works.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:48 AM
thehuntingterminator

Hoping i get to the hobby store today to check out what some of these guys look like and hopefully drive but not sure how the store works.
Sounds good. Hopefully you will find something that you really like. Just keep in mind that its always better to get opinions/reviews on products from actual buyers, and not just the sellers (the hobby store employees). Some hobby shops have really nice, helpful employees and others just want to make a buck off of ya', so beware.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:33 AM
Foxy

You want brushless, whatever you get.
Old 09-16-2012, 04:40 PM
Speed917

All i can say is this site is Much better than any hobby store near me !!!!! I made my way to 3 different hobby store today and all they wanted to do was sell sell and sell. I asked similar questions that i had asked on this site and got nowhere. I know i said they favor Traxxas but holy lord it was Horrible !!!! All stores stock EVERY traxxas part i could have ever imagined and all i was told was traxxas is the best most reliable and nothing can come close to it. One store i did not even get help they just looked at me and said we can order anything you want when i asked questions it was like they were a deer in headlights. The one thing i walked away with today was one of my local shops has slot cars and now im buying one for my kid and probable myself since he loved them. As for me im worse off now than ever before. One of the hobby shops told me nitrous or nothing everything they had and worked on was nitro or gas and electric models were XL-5 or brushed, I simply said "why not sell brushless" the guy in store replied "we dont want to lose our nitro customers " and then proceeded in trying to have me buy something nitro. I was also told the vxl rustler was really the only way to go and then continued with we can order anything you want it will be here in 2 days which is great but they were No help in what i should be getting at all. Even when i spoke to the people in the store  i believe i knew more than they did and i never even owned a hobby grade rc vehicle so im guessing if its not for all of you im not going to have much luck! ... Also the models they had in the store were in faded boxes from 2005.
Old 09-16-2012, 04:45 PM
thehuntingterminator

All i can say is this site is Much better than any hobby store near me !!!!! I made my way to 3 different hobby store today and all they wanted to do was sell sell and sell. I asked similar questions that i had asked on this site and got nowhere. I know i said they favor Traxxas but holy lord it was Horrible !!!! All stores stock EVERY traxxas part i could have ever imagined and all i was told was traxxas is the best most reliable and nothing can come close to it. One store i did not even get help they just looked at me and said we can order anything you want when i asked questions it was like they were a deer in headlights. The one thing i walked away with today was one of my local shops has slot cars and now im buying one for my kid and probable myself since he loved them. As for me im worse off now than ever before. One of the hobby shops told me nitrous or nothing everything they had and worked on was nitro or gas and electric models were XL-5 or brushed, I simply said ''why not sell brushless'' the guy in store replied ''we dont want to lose our nitro customers '' and then proceeded in trying to have me buy something nitro. I was also told the vxl rustler was really the only way to go and then continued with we can order anything you want it will be here in 2 days which is great but they were No help in what i should be getting at all. Even when i spoke to the people in the store i believe i knew more than they did and i never even owned a hobby grade rc vehicle so im guessing if its not for all of you im not going to have much luck! ... Also the models they had in the store were in faded boxes from 2005.
Wow. Sounds like you should order online to me!
Old 09-16-2012, 08:58 PM
TheKennyKiller
Banned

All i can say is this site is Much better than any hobby store near me !!!!! I made my way to 3 different hobby store today and all they wanted to do was sell sell and sell. I asked similar questions that i had asked on this site and got nowhere. I know i said they favor Traxxas but holy lord it was Horrible !!!! All stores stock EVERY traxxas part i could have ever imagined and all i was told was traxxas is the best most reliable and nothing can come close to it. One store i did not even get help they just looked at me and said we can order anything you want when i asked questions it was like they were a deer in headlights. The one thing i walked away with today was one of my local shops has slot cars and now im buying one for my kid and probable myself since he loved them. As for me im worse off now than ever before. One of the hobby shops told me nitrous or nothing everything they had and worked on was nitro or gas and electric models were XL-5 or brushed, I simply said ''why not sell brushless'' the guy in store replied ''we dont want to lose our nitro customers '' and then proceeded in trying to have me buy something nitro. I was also told the vxl rustler was really the only way to go and then continued with we can order anything you want it will be here in 2 days which is great but they were No help in what i should be getting at all. Even when i spoke to the people in the store i believe i knew more than they did and i never even owned a hobby grade rc vehicle so im guessing if its not for all of you im not going to have much luck! ... Also the models they had in the store were in faded boxes from 2005.
Naive much. You sound like the kind of customer hobby stores dread, the guy who knows it all and who asks all the annoying questions.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:50 PM
Foxy

Well, hobby stores are obliged to listen to anyone's annoying questions if they want to make money. Too many are pushing their own agendas or are simply arrogant and unhelpful.

OP, it sounds like you need to go Traxxas. I'm not a big traxxas fan, but with your first car, you MUST have local support, and apart from the price, there isn't much wrong with Traxxas brushless stuff. Order a Rustler VXL, you'll enjoy it a lot.

Bear in mind though, if you can hang on and are prepared to order online, you can hang on just a bit longer for the Thunder Tiger MT4 G3 re-release (it's coming soon, we hope!!), which is literally 10 times the car that the rustler and should fit neatly into your $500 budget.

Look on youtube for vids, it really is a very special monster truck/truggy.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:46 AM
DaBasher

I've got to recommend traxxas. For bashing they are great. If you are looking to run in grass the stampede would be the best but I would recommend going with the slash 4x4 and in the future getting some 2.8 trenchers , then with the slash 4x4 you will have the best of both worlds , a short corse race truck and a monster type truck just by changing the wheels and a few other simple modifications. With traxxas you can find parts most anywhere and there are lots of after market parts available. There are lots of good rc trucks out there and you probably wouldn't go wrong with any of the name brands but its hard to beat the traxxas slash 4x4 with all it has to offer. I usually buy most all my stuff from Tower Hobbies as I can get it cheaper from them than my local hobby shop. Plus Tower has a great selection and have never messed up any of my orders.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:21 AM
BKoz559

I agree with choosing a brand that is popular with your local hobby shop as it makes buying replacement parts more convenient when you finally break something.

If you were thinking Rustler or getting pushed towards one, see if they don't have a Slaxh VXL in stock. You might enjoy that better and if you choose to race later on, you can install a LCG chassis kit.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:02 AM
TheKennyKiller
Banned

I REALLY think the OP should wait for the Thunder Tiger MT4 G3.

If you had no luck with the 3 hobby shops you went to than why bother dealing with them in the future even if it is just for parts, order the TT from Tower and get parts from them as well. Sorry if my previous post seemed overly negative but when the common denominator is yourself you sometimes have to wonder why, at least the hobby stores said they would order stuff in for you if you'd like them to. I've never really seen the hobby shop as an advice giver, it often pays to do your research before you go in.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:49 AM
narwalrus
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: TheKennyKiller

I REALLY think the OP should wait for the Thunder Tiger MT4 G3.

If you had no luck with the 3 hobby shops you went to than why bother dealing with them in the future even if it is just for parts, order the TT from Tower and get parts from them as well. Sorry if my previous post seemed overly negative but when the common denominator is yourself you sometimes have to wonder why, at least the hobby stores said they would order stuff in for you if you'd like them to. I've never really seen the hobby shop as an advice giver, it often pays to do your research before you go in.
Probably won't be a problem because the MT4 won't break anyways haha..

Old 09-17-2012, 09:14 AM
pyromatic177

Yeah the MT4 is a tank
Old 09-17-2012, 12:19 PM
bloodpuppy

Oh yes i would definately get the Thunder tiger if i was looking for another vehical of that type.

I have a 1/18 erevo which is good for a few places
Losi strike which is ok in places
1/8 buggy which is great in the back yard of a track
MGT 4.0 which is a beast in a sand pit
and soon a 4x4 slash.

Take it from a noob, DONT buy crap. My very first car 3 years ago would have been the 4x4 slash and i talked myself out of it saying i dont think i would ever spend that amout of money in the hobby.
So i bought a PoS off line for 200$ and it lasted maybe a month
Then i got the 2wheel Strike which isnt what i wanted but again it was cheap. and now my kids use it if it isnt broken.
Then again wanting a fast 4x4 i got the buggy. YES its super fast but has limited places to use it. I have 4 tracks in the area and they are all small and the buggy is almost no fun because you cant do what you want to do.
Then i bought not 1 but 2 revo minis. They can be fun but are very limited. They can be hard to control and i end up chasing after them to flip them over then anything else.
The MGT im glad i have, nitro is a pain at times but its alot of fun, but again you cant use it everywhere. Ive had good neighbors call the cops on me because its to loud.

If i could do it all again i would have 2 vehicals. a 4X4 SCT (probably traxxas) and my nitro truck. Ok maybe a 10th or 12th 2 wheel buggy also but thats it, and maybe a drift car as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.