Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

New Great Planes Escapade 61.

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

New Great Planes Escapade 61.

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 09:58 AM
coronabob
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Great Planes Escapade 61.

My buddy received his replacement Escapade this past Friday. He is very happy with the exception that he now has to buy a new engine, batteries, etc. Great Planes is A OK in my book.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:33 AM
suburban95
My Feedback: (9)

Well I did get a reply from Hobbico to send whatever parts I had left from the crash and pictures along with a copy of the email from them to Hobby Services and they would look into it. They also mentioned that they had a 90 day warranty policy so I should include a copy of the receipt which I did.

Been a week now and have not heard from them although they did recieve the parts the next day after I shipped it. I guess only time will tell. Still haven't found the wing and probably never will. If I had the wing I would be better able to tell if the wing tabs delaminated but either way something let loose and caused the wing departure.

Maybe BAX can tell me the status............

HOLD ON!!! JUST WALKED INTO MY OFFICE AND FOUND THAT UPS DROPPED OFF A HUGE BOX FROM HOBBY SERVICES ITS A NEW PLANE!!!!

WAY TO GO GREAT PLANES!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-18-2012, 05:51 PM
GTMUSTANGCS

I was thinking of the Escapade as a second plane. It's only a little more than the 4 star 60 kit. Is this a good choice? I would be happy to build the 4star, but the Escapade is such a nice looking plane. Thanks Joe
Old 09-19-2012, 05:14 AM
fast_eddie70

I think the Escapade is a great second plane in 40 or 60 size..
Old 09-19-2012, 06:31 AM
jeffie8696

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ditto, easy to fly in my opinion. Doesnt even need a huge engine to fly well.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:06 AM
suburban95

I agree the Escapade flew great right out of the box, as I mentioned in my earlier post it only required a couple of clicks of elevator to fly hands off. I had an OS91 4 stroke in mine and it flew well but definitely not a speed demon. I wanted to change the prop to see if that would make it a little faster but the WING DEPARTED before I had a chance.

KEEP IN MIND to re-enforce the wing Root tabs before you fly it there have been several reports of the plywood root rib tabs delaminating and the wing dropping out of the aircraft (Ask me how I know!) Other than that its a very nice airplane.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:54 AM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went out flying yesterday with the new stab I bought from Tower after the first one fell apart in the air after three flights. This one only lasted two before it broke. My plane has the 95AX on it and it is just too fast for what the airframe will allow. The tail either needs flying wires of be built stronger. The damage is not from high G but from high speed level flight. I repaired it last night and added hardwood supports and I am going to go back out and test it today and see how it holds up. Every Escapade up here has broke in the same way whether it was a 40 or 60 size version. They break right at the point of the trailing edge spar where the hard wood doubler stops. Then the leading edge will fracture some point inboard from that. This time it was right in the center. Usually it is about 2" out from center. I attached pictures showing where I cut out a section of the balsa trailing edge and fitted in a section of 3/16" x 3/8" hardwood.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27289.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	1806339   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk29381.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	1806340   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot46974.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	1806341   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oi14978.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	1806342   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kv16630.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	1806343   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ja41115.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	1806344  
Old 12-12-2012, 11:17 AM
VictoryRoll

Based on above comments on both the wing and the stabilizer failing, I was very interested in buying, but now am VERY hesitant.  I have a brand new Saito FA-100 GK, and don't want to lose almost $350, in addition to my digital servos, receiver, et al.

I love to ARF bash and add wing wires, drop the elevator and rudder servos in the back of the fuse w/ short 4-40 rod setup, etc.  Hence, I wouldn't want to put all that work in, and then have either the wings or the stab fail.

Am I too fearful or .....?????

Thank you in advance for your suggestions/comments.  They are truly appreciated.

Don
Old 12-12-2012, 12:19 PM
landeck
My Feedback: (1)

I have been flying my Escapade 40 with a Magnum 46 for five years and my Escapade 61 with a Fox 74 Eagle IV for two years without any problems. The plane calls for a 61 to 75 two stroke engine; puting a 95 two stroke in it overpowers the plane and puts stress on it it was not designed for. You should be fine using a Saito 100 four stroke engine.

Bruce
Old 12-12-2012, 03:00 PM
VictoryRoll

Thank you, once again, Bruce... you be da' man !

I was wondering about the Pulse vs. the Escapade... If you  were in my shoes, (Intermediate Flyer on cusp of advanced) which one would you choose (w/ this powerplant FA100) and why would you make that decision?

It also seems that NO ONE has stepped forward on these posts/threads for the Pulse, should  I read something into that?

I don't want to go too low and have something that is going to be boring, but I am also afraid of pushing too hard and failing.  You seen to have quite a bit of knowledge and experience (although I am not sure you have the Pulse 60), so any and all of your comments/suggestions/ideas, are truly appreciated and respected.

As you know, I also have the Revolver 70" as #1 on my top-4 list... It looks the best of the crowd and performs like a top... next i would say is the Escapade (as long as I can be convinced it will hold-up to some snaps, fast-straights, and fast spins, third is the Pulse 60, love the looks, the Saito FA-100 GK looks awesome in her and it seems like it could be somewhat fun.... last is the Hanger 9 Decathlon 70" (I believe)... I KNOW it has some great sport/aerobatic capabilities, but the look is so much like other high-wing'rs I already own.

Am I right in understand the Escapade is more "sport/aerobatic" than the Pulse?   I love flat-spins and am trying to perfect them, so maybe that would help in your assessment??

Please feel completely open to say what you want, as I am looking for good, critical-eye-type comments, and trust you from previous replies on this topic/thread!

Thanks so much for your help.

Fond Regards,

Don

Old 12-12-2012, 03:34 PM
Super08

Bruce if you look again it is designed for a .61 to .95 two stroke or a .91 to 1.20 four stoke.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:04 AM
landeck

ORIGINAL: Super08

Bruce if you look again it is designed for a .61 to .95 two stroke or a .91 to 1.20 four stoke.
Super08, you are right[X(]! I just checked the manual and that is what it says. We have two out at the field, one with a OS .91 and mine with a Fox .74. Both have been flying for a year and a half without any problems. How has yours been holding up since the modification you made to the stab?

Bruce
Old 12-13-2012, 04:13 AM
landeck

fishingships, I have both the Pulse XT 60 and the Escapade 61. I also have the Revolver 70. The Escapade 61 is more sport aerobatic than the Pulse while the Pulse tends to float more on landings. I don't think you will get quickly board with the Pulse. There is a thread on here on the Pulse. Of the three planes mentioned I would go first with the Revolver 70, then the Escapade 61, and then the Pulse XT 60 but you really can not go wrong with any of the three planes with your Saito 100 engine.

Bruce

P.S. I have been flying RC for 40 years and building and flying models for 60 years. Given all that I still consider myself only an intermediate flyer. At my age I am just happy not to be progressing backward in my flying skills.[&:]
Old 12-13-2012, 08:21 AM
Super08

ORIGINAL: landeck

ORIGINAL: Super08

Super08, you are right[X(]! I just checked the manual and that is what it says. We have two out at the field, one with a OS .91 and mine with a Fox .74. Both have been flying for a year and a half without any problems. How has yours been holding up since the modification you made to the stab?

Bruce
The mod works as I hoped. I could do anything I wanted and no problems with it breaking anymore. Sadly I ended up losing it in a mid air with a friend one day when we were horsing around.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:03 PM
VictoryRoll

HI Bruce!

Once again, my sincere thanks. You have been a great help to me. It's either the Pulse, because I love the looks of this plane, AND the airelon servos are INSIDE the wing, or the Escapade as it will be a better aerobatic. I may, believe it or not, strip the Escapade and cover it with my own desired colors, beef up points mentioned in this thread where fractures/failures are happening and fit with nylon pinned hinges, as I suspect all pre-hinged surfaces are CA hinges (am I right?) and put the servos inside the wing.

Any thoughts on those mods???

Problem is, do I want to do all of that on a $190 plane?

I am also thinking the Hitec HS-5496MH Digital Servos will be a nice fit. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXAEXW&P=K

Talk about a fickle buyer, huh?

Thank you so much Bruce, and as I suspected, you have lots of experience ! I am 58 yrs. old. I started building (an original Carl Goldberg Falcon 56 w/ OS MAX 35X) back when I was about 19 or 20. College and money got in the way and I never finished the Falcon 56 (wish I still had her), but I still own the OS Max 35S (probably going to sell the engine soon). I got back in the hobby about 7 years ago and now realize how much I missed. Marriage, children, work and a very bad bicycling accident (hit by a car) got in the way until then. I am still partially disabled but love this hobby! It is great talking with all the knowledgable people on these forums and learning new things.

Again, you have been very helpful and thank you for taking the time for me, and all who may benefit from your experience and input.

Don

Old 12-14-2012, 07:21 AM
VictoryRoll

Well, after all of my waffling, I went to my LHS (which isn't so local) and decided on the Revolver.  The fit & finish of this plane is so much better than the other two, with AIRE servos tucked neatly in the wing, not sticking out in the wind, a pet-peeve of mine.   

I am dying to get it, but I don;t think I will see it before Dec. 24th, maybe?? (which is my birthday!)

Anyway, I am very grateful for all inputs and appreciate all of you for helping me and taking the time to help me.

I'll let you know how I make out with the build (which should be short & sweet) and it's flight.

Thanks again,

Don
Old 07-13-2013, 02:34 PM
jeffie8696

Good news. My Escapade 60 flies really well with an OS65LA on the front. Just maidened it today.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:38 PM
spitflyer ch ch

Been flying my escapade 60 with a dle 20 for a few months now great flyer at half power.No problems so far
Old 08-09-2013, 02:18 PM
rmsingh

Been flying my Escapade 61 for the past year with a OS 91FS Surpass and now a Saito FA100.
Man, the Saito makes the plane come alive. Great fun.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:33 PM
jeffie8696

Awesome, I have several engines waiting in line for their turn. Thunder Tiger 91FS, Kraft 61, Irvine 61, etc
Old 01-30-2014, 05:09 PM
dconner

Can anyone clue me in on how the escapade will balance with a saito 115 black knight engine. Thanks
Old 01-31-2014, 06:03 AM
suburban95

OK not sure I can be of much help it's been a while since I had my escapade but I had an OS 91 FS in mine and I don't remember adding much weight if any. I think the Saito may be similar in weight so I think you should be pretty close to balancing by just moving the battery around. Again its been a while so no guarantee's. Maybe someone else will comment who has more recent experience.

Keep in mind to reinforce the wing tab at the leading edge where it goes into the slot in the fuse former. Mine delaminated on the second flight, the leading edge of the wing dropped down and the entire wing departed the aircraft. Thankfully Horizon warrantied the plane and sent me a new one which I sold at a swap meet.

Good Luck with your escapade they do fly nice if you follow the suggestions you find here in these forums.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:31 AM
Super08

I used a 95AX which is around 26 oz. It balanced perfect with everything in the stock location.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:32 PM
Super08

I just ordered my third Escapade. This time instead of putting my 95 in it I am going to try an ASP 61 and see how it pulls it around. I kept blowing my old ones apart by going too fast with the 95. I cannot resist the speed if it is there to use. The smaller motor should slow me down enough and if I am bored with it I can always put the 95 in after. The nice thing with the Escapade is it is so fast to put together. You can buy it one day, build it that night and go fly it in the next morning. That and it is a sweet flying little plane. It is just a nice sport flyer that is fun to play around with. Funny how I still like to play around with these smaller glow planes when I usually fly 42% gas power.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:03 PM
jeffie8696

The OS65LA pulls mine around just fine, you should be OK. I find an overpowered plane less relaxing to fly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.